• Published 30th Mar 2020
  • 870 Views, 44 Comments

Good Will Hunter - Marezinger Z



Sunset and Hunter embrace the unorthodox nature of their new relationship as Hunter begins to settle in and become a full time part of her life. Trouble is never far behind though as a bizarre bank robbery makes them cross paths with a new threat.

  • ...
4
 44
 870

Chapter 3

With the Dazzlings being a dead end, Hunter looked deeper into the bank incident to try and learn anything new. Feeling as though he was spinning his wheels and with 3 o’clock approaching, he decided to swing by the school to spend some time with the others. As he entered the grounds and started down the halls, he spied Applejack and Micro Chips at her locker.

“Do I need to make an apple computer joke? Because I will.” He said as he approached.

“Oh, hey Hunter.” Applejack waved.

“I heard you had come back.” Micro Chips noted with a half smile.

“Don’t sound so excited.” Hunter took his hand. “How’ve you been?”

“Pretty busy, actually.” He answered.

“Yeah, Rainbow Dash booked us another Rainbooms performance and Micro Chips is helping us with the stage work.” Applejack informed. “We were just getting ready to head to the music room, everyone else is already there.”

“Lead the way.” Hunter bowed.

The three of them traveled to the music room, the sounds of random instruments echoing down the hall. As they stepped in they found Flash and the rest of the girls idling in wait. As soon as she saw Hunter, Sunset went to him for a kiss. “I didn’t think you’d be by today.”

“I hit a wall in what I was working on.” He ran his hands down her back. “I’ll tell you later.”

“Okay, you can watch us practice and let us know what you think.” She returned to her guitar.

Hunter sat in as the girls rehearsed, Micro Chips testing out his lighting and effects to see what worked and what didn’t. It was the first time he was able to watch Sunset play and for once he was compelled to remain silent as he enjoyed their music. He chimed in between songs, offering what little he could as music was far from his area of expertise. His interpersonal awareness was sharp as ever though as he noticed how distant Flash remained over the course of the afternoon, the news of Sunset’s relationship with him obviously not sitting well. As the session wound down, Micro Chips and the girls began packing up for the day; Hunter saw Flash headed for the door and followed him out into the hall.

“Hey.” Hunter stopped him.

Flash turned back with some surprise. “What’s up?”

“Listen, I’m a lot of things but blind isn’t one.” Hunter leaned against the wall with a sigh. “I know you and Sunny have messy history and I get that it must suck to see her with someone else, especially me. So, before this turns into a shitty YA novel, I want to make sure we’re cool.”

Flash was flustered by his perception but could only laugh dryly. “Yeah.” Flash nodded, running his fingers through his hair. “I know that what Sunset and I had is in the past, it’s just…” He sighed and leaned on the wall next to him. “It’s been a lousy couple of years for me on that front. Sunset broke things off with me and just when I was about over it, I met Twilight.” He gestured towards the music room. “Not that one, there’s another one… she was really great.” His shoulder’s shrugged. “But as soon as she came she left, that’s when this Twilight showed up. I thought it was her but they’re completely different, but every time I look at her I can’t help but think about the other one so I always act weird around her when we’re alone.” His face belied how tired he was of feeling the way he did. “I’ve just been trying to at least start over as friends with Sunset and that’s been going okay, but yeah… when I heard she was seeing you it kind of stung. It just made it fully real that she’s moved on.”

Hunter slowly nodded. “Well, romance isn’t my best subject. Sunset is my first real girlfriend.”

“That’s… kind of surprising.” Flash admitted.

“I know right, I’m such a catch.” Hunter laughed. “I can say this though, you’ve got a lot of life ahead of you and there will be a lot of other women along the path.” He looked to Flash with sincere eyes. “But as long as you keep looking back over your shoulder, you’re never going to see any of them.”

Flash absorbed the advice. “That’s a good way to put it.”

“I hope so, that’s about all I got.” Hunter confessed. “So, we good? Because there are enough people in the world who hate me, I really don’t need one more.” He held his fist out.

Flash laughed and punched his fist into Hunter’s. “Yeah, I don’t want to fight about it; pretty sure you could kick my butt anyway.”

“Absolutely.” Hunter said without hesitation. They both started to laugh as Micro Chips and the girls finally filed out of the room.

“Okay, we’re all wrapped up.” Rainbow Dash informed.

“Cool.” Flash bounced from the wall. “Good luck with the show, I’ll see you all later.”

“Alright, later Flash.” Sunset called after him.

“I’ll make the final adjustments to the equipment tomorrow.” Micro Chips noted with a stretch. “Everything will be ready by Friday.”

“Thank you, we really appreciate it.” Twilight said graciously as he too left them.

With the boys gone, they circled around Hunter for an update. “So, did you find out anything new at all?” Sunset asked.

“Nothing substantial.” He shook his head. “I accessed the police files and read all the written statements, they all say the same thing; blacked out and woke up in a vault.”

“What about security footage?” Twilight inquired.

“The one that actually worked for the bank disabled the feed, there isn’t any footage of the robbery.” He answered. “There were no other witnesses noted, at least none that have come forward. I can start getting creative and look into some tangents, but I doubt it’ll give up anything useful.”

“It seems there isn’t much more to be done.” Rarity noted. “Other than wait for the scoundrels to make another move.”

“Hey, you’ve got a performance to prepare for so just put it aside for now.” Hunter advised. “I’ll keep my eyes and ears open in the meantime.”

“Speaking of which. Fluttershy came in. “You’re going to be there, right?”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Hunter put his arm around Sunset as they began leaving the school grounds. “I’ll even throw my underwear at the stage.”

“Please don’t.” Applejack begged.


For the time being, life went back to normal and there was no further criminal activity that seemed related to the bank robbery. Come Friday, Hunter got to enjoy his first Rainboom performance and seeing Sunset up on stage was endearing; at the same time though it brought back the gnawing concern that the people he worked for were aware of her and actively keeping an eye on her in some unknown capacity. Again he forced it aside, not wanting the spoil the night for either of them. Coincidentally, the Dazzlings too had their next show that night. Now at a beautiful lake side venue, they were tearing down after another successful showing.

“It’s a shame we can’t stay here awhile.” Sonata looked out over the water. “It’s really nice here.”

“At the hotel prices around here?” Adagio scoffed. “Absolutely not.”

“But we’re doing so good now?” Sonata pointed out. “We can afford it.”

“I actually agree for once.” Aria sat on the box she was packing. “I can’t take anymore of those disgusting motels. Not to mention it’d be nice to not have to share a bed with this sheet stealing, snore machine.” She thumbed over at Sonata.

“Fine.” Adagio groaned. “If it will keep you from complaining for a night.”

“Yay.” Sonata cheered.

As they continued to work, the sound of footsteps on the grass caught their attention. Adagio noticed a pair of shadows extend her way and stood up straight with a sigh. “In case you haven’t noticed, the show is over.” She faced the strangers, caught off guard by the mature, elegant woman who stood before her.

“Hello, sisters.” The woman greeted.

“Sisters?” Adagio repeated, Aria and Sonata coming over to investigate.

“These are the ones you spoke of, correct?” She looked to the young man at her side.

“Yeah, that’s them.” He said, his voice saturated in bitterness. “I’ll never forget those faces.”

“Who are you?” Adagio demanded.

“My name is Melodiam. I am a siren, like you.” She calmly answered.

“What?” Aria’s usually sour face grew stunned. “That isn’t possible.”

“And how do you know about us?” Sonata asked.

“You don’t even remember me, do you?” The young man asked.

“Are we supposed to?” Adagio’s fist found her hip as she looked him over.

“Yes!” He shouted. “You used me for over a year! Putting me under your spell again and again to wait on you hand a foot! Keeping me locked up like a dog!”

Adagio let out a short gasp. “Cobalt?”

“That’s right.” He glared at her. “It’s taken me three cities but I’ve finally caught up to you. I’m going to make you pay for what you did to me!”

“Cobalt.” Melodiam laid her hand to his shoulder. “Do not let your anger at them blind you from our task.”

Her touch instantly calmed him and he backed down. “I’m sorry, Ms. Melodiam.”

“What is it you want?” Adagio asked.

“Your magic.” She explained.

“Well you're too late.” Aria said bluntly. “We lost our magic.”

“Oh?” Her eyes raised in interest. “How?”

“Our pendants broke.” Sonata explained.

“Sonata!” Adagio glanced over at her, not wanting her to unnecessarily divulge any more information.

“So, your magic is totemic?” Melodiam smiled. “That will make this even easier.” She extended her hand. “Give me your shattered totems, that is all I require.”

Adagio reflexively grabbed the pouch on her hip that held the pieces of her pendant. “Why? What good are they to you?”

“Cobalt.” Melodiam looked down to him. “The bags they carry, please take them.”

“Yes, Ms. Melodiam.” Cobalt stepped forward.

“Easier said than done.” Aria challenged as she and Sonata went to Adagio’s side.

“Hardly.” He smiled. “This time, I’m the one with magic.” He held up his wrist, displaying a bracelet that was oversized for his wrist. He knelt and laid his hand on the ground; the armlet began to glow green and hands formed from a mixture of dirt and rock burst from the ground. The Dazzlings backed away as several, humanoid forms comprised of the earth itself rose and shambled towards them. Aria threw a punch that burst straight through one of their torsos and she was promptly taken hold of. Adagio and Sonata followed soon after and the mindless creatures presented them to Cobalt. “That’s more like it.” A predatory smiled formed on his face as he watched the struggling trio. “You three humiliated me, emasculated me and stole over a year of my life.” He reached up and ran his fingertips down Adagio’s arm. "I'm going to enjoy this."

“Don’t touch me!”

I’m in control now!” He grabbed the collar of her top and yanked her head down. ”I’ll touch you however I want!”

“Cobalt!” Melodiam called, breaking him out of his anger. "The bags."

“Right.” Cobalt released her, ripping the pouch from her hip. He went to Aria and Sonata and removed theirs as well, handing them off to Melodiam.

“Let us see now.” She dumped the pieces into her hand. “The fact that your magic is tied to these gems tells me much. As far as sirens go, you appear to be quite weak and inexperienced.”

“Think so?” Aria asked. “If we had our magic we’d be wiping the floor with you, you old hag!”

“Really?” Melodiam asked, not phased by the insult. “Considering you know only one of the siren’s songs, I doubt that very much.”

“One of the songs?” Sonata shifted her eyes to Adagio. “There are more?”

Melodiam laughed lightly. “There are seven songs of the siren.” She informed. “You obviously only know Suadere. There are also Amare, Ira, Dolorem, Renovatio, Animaequiores and insanire.” She cupped the pieces in her hands and held them up. “Allow me to show you the song of Renovatio.” Her lips parted and she began to sing in a voice of unparalleled beauty. As the words left her, the pieces began to glow and levitate before her; the Dazzlings watched in amazement as the shards slowly set into place and fused back into their pendants.

“That’s… incredible.” Adagio had no choice but to admit.

Once the pendants were reassembled, Melodiam silenced her song and caught them as they dropped from the air. “There, all better.”

“Wow.” Sonata said in amazement.

“To be honest with you girls, there is an eighth song.” She looked at her reflection in the pendants. “However, it is too powerful for any one siren to sing; but with your magic added to my own I will able to do so.”

“What song?” Adagio asked.

“The final song.” Melodiam locked eyes with her. “Mortem.”

“What does it do?” Adagio further inquired.

“You won’t be around to care.” Cobalt approached them again. “Ms. Melodiam got what she wanted.” His face twisted in sadistic pleasure. “Now it’s my turn.”

“Cobalt.” Sonata called his attention. “Please, we were different back then; we aren't like that anymore. We’re sorry for what we did to you.”

“You think a simple sorry can undo what you put me through?” He focused on her. “Oh no, you three are going to be my toys; and when I get bored with you I’m going to have my golems break you into little pieces.”

“If you lay one hand on me you sick freak…” Aria began, cutting off at the sound of police sirens.

“What?” Cobalt looked back towards the road. “How the hell…”

“Cobalt, we need to go now.” Melodiam instructed. “If we engage them we’ll draw too much attention to ourselves.”

“Damn it!” He balled his fist and the golems disintegrated, the Dazzlings falling to the ground. “This isn’t over!” He growled as he and Melodiam hurried off.

“Geez, I’ve never been so glad to see humans before.” Aria confessed as she dusted herself off. “Who called them?”

“I did.” Sonata pulled the phone from her pocket. “I got my hand in my pocket when that thing grabbed me, I was able to reach them from the emergency contacts.”

“I’m glad your brain decides to work every once in a while.” Adagio took her cheek with a relieved laugh. “You earned that hotel stay.”

"What do we do now?" Aria asked. "Our pendants are fixed, we can get our magic back if we can get ahold of them."

"We don't have any magic to fight her with." Adagio folded her arms. "Plus there's the matter of Cobalt, he clearly intends to keep after us which means we aren't safe."

"Can't we... ask Sunset for help?" Sonata meekly suggested.

"No way!" Aria stamped her foot.

"But, Melodiam must be the one she's looking for." Sonata continued. "And she and her friends have magic that could fight them."

"Adagio." Aria looked to her for support.

"I hate it just as much as you do." Adagio finally answered through a hard breath. "But we can't face them alone." She looked over to see two officers approaching. "Let's deal with this first." She stepped forward and began offering an edited explanation of what had just happened.

Author's Note:

The siren songs are in Latin and go as followed.
Suadere - Persuade
Amare - Love
Ira - Rage
Dolorem - Sorrow
Animaequiores - Cheer
Insanire - Madness
Renovatio - Rejuvination
Mortem - Death
And Melodiam is Latin for Melody.