• Published 30th Mar 2020
  • 862 Views, 44 Comments

Good Will Hunter - Marezinger Z



Sunset and Hunter embrace the unorthodox nature of their new relationship as Hunter begins to settle in and become a full time part of her life. Trouble is never far behind though as a bizarre bank robbery makes them cross paths with a new threat.

  • ...
4
 44
 862

Chapter 9

Hunter drove back to his apartment the following morning after Sunset headed to school; as soon as he got home he showered and fixed himself a late breakfast. As the day began to transition into afternoon he heard his phone ring, hurrying into the bedroom to answer it.

“Hello?” His head jerked away as Adagio’s voice began yelling from the other end. “What!?” His eyes widened as he received news that the hotel was under attack from Cobalt’s golems. “Stay in the room, I’m on my way!” He shouted, immediately hanging up and falling to his knees in front of his bed; he thought quickly of what options he had as he began arming himself, knowing that he couldn’t get into an extended firefight in the middle of a crowded hotel. Taking what he could, he ran back down his car and raced over to the hotel. The scene was chaos when he arrived, panicked people fleeing the building that was covered in monsters scaling the exterior walls. Police were already on the scene and trying to battle the bizarre creatures to little effect. Hunter put his ski mask back on and ran into the building, sprinting up the stairs towards the Dazzling’s room. Golems began entering the hotel through windows, sending guests fleeing as they roamed the halls in search of their targets. Having brought something with some kick, Hunter pulled a desert eagle and blasted their heads off as he barreled down the hallway towards the door. Jamming the key in, he pushed the door open only to be met with a lamp to the shoulder.

“A robber!” Sonata shouted as she reared back to hit him again.

“Sonata!” He pulled his mask off. “It’s me!”

“Oh… Hunter,” She dropped the lamp. “Sorry.”

“What’s going on out there?” Adagio asked.

“They’re everywhere,” Hunter began. “But they haven’t pinpointed you yet.”

“I thought this place was safe?” Aria joined them. “How did he find out we were here?”

“No idea,” Hunter shook his head. “But I need to get you out of here now.”

The window shattered and a pair of golems shambled into the room; Hunter took aim but paused as one of their eyes began to glow blue and a mouth formed on its face.

“There you are.” It spoke in Cobalt’s voice.

“Cobalt?” Adagio instantly recognized the sickly speech pattern.

“Ok, this is new.” Hunter admitted.

“Thank you for leading me to them… Hunter, is it?” The golem carried on.

“I didn’t lead you anywhere.” Hunter defended.

“Really?” One of the miniature golems appeared on the larger one’s shoulder. “My little friend here begs to differ.”

“Oh you’ve got to be fucking kidding me.” Hunter eyed the tiny creature.

“Hardly.” Cobalt’s voice continued. “This little one saw you four out and about yesterday, I was looking for you but I didn’t think I’d be so lucky as to find them as well.”

“Piss off!” Hunter fired and blew the head clean off, silencing him.

“Not this time!” The second golem’s eyes lit up as it took over; more golems began to pour into the room and attacked the Dazzlings.

“Get off of me!” Aria barked as she struggled against one of the intruders.

“I've got him!” Sonata retook her lamp and smashed its head in as Hunter began firing at the rest of the mob.

“We need to get out of here!” Adagio turned for the door but was taken up by one of the monsters. More entered the room and Hunter was forced to grab Aria and Sonata and flee the confined area.

Move, down the hall!” He ordered.

“But… Adagio.” Sonata reached for the door again.

“We’ll save her,” Hunter took her wrist and pulled her along. “Cobalt has to be on the roof.” He noted as they ran.

Aria skidded to halt before a fire station and busted the glass, pulling out the fire axe. “This will help.” She hefted the weapon and caught back up with them. Hunter reloaded as he led them back to the stairs and they began to ascend the building all the way up the roof. Hunter kicked the door out and as expected they found Cobalt looking down at the terrified people below.

“Cobalt!” Aria readied her axe.

Cobalt faced them, Adagio encased in the body of the golem at his side. “Oh… an axe,” He laughed. “I’m terrified.”

“We’ve got a lamp too!” Sonata brandished her weapon of choice.

Hunter raised his gun and aimed it at his head. “Let her go, Cobalt.”

“I don’t know who you are,” Cobalt began. “But do you have any idea who these three are?”

“Sirens from an alternate world,” He answered. “Didn't think I knew, did you?”

“And you’re defending them!” He challenged. “Do you know what these three did to me!? They treat humans like playthings, they’re a threat to this world.”

“Says the guy trying to kill off half the city so he can act out his repressed manhood fantasies.” Hunter countered.

“What?” Cobalt stared him down.

“I know all about you, Cobalt,” Hunter nodded. “More importantly, I know what you’ve done; I’m not defending what they did to you but you had other options. You could have gone to the cops, reported them and had them tracked down legally; but instead you decided you wanted revenge. You’ve hurt a lot of people; and as soon as you crossed that line you lost any sympathy you deserved.” Hunter readied his finger on the trigger. “And I’ll be damned if I’m going to let you hurt them or anyone else!”

“Then damned you’ll be!” Cobalt outstretched his hand and sent his army forward.

“Sonata!” Hunter called her attention as he began firing. “See that hose over there!?”

Sonata looked near the station on the roof and saw a fire hose. “Ah, gotcha!” She dropped her lamp and rushed over to set up the connection.

“Stay close, Aria!” Hunter neared her as he pulled a grenade from his belt and rolled it into the midst of the golems, the blast blew them apart and took a chunk out of the rooftop. As the remaining golems neared, a heavy stream of water whizzed past them and turned one of the earthen creatures into mud. They glanced back to see Sonata braced against the wall, a huge smile on her face as she used the water to provide cover fire. “Let’s go!” Hunter tossed his head forward; he and Aria ran for Cobalt, chopping and shooting their way through while the water made quick work of the rest of their opponents.

“Fine then!” Cobalt pointed off the roof. “Jump!” The golem holding Adagio turned and walked off the side of the roof while Cobalt made a break for it; Hunter dropped his gun and dove for the side, reaching down and taking a handful of Adagio’s top. His body began sliding forward as the added weight of the golem began pulling him over the edge.

"I’ve got you!” Aria gabbed his legs and stopped their fall, holding on for all she was worth.

“Ha!” Cobalt doubled back and ran at them. “Now you can all die toget…” He was suddenly blasted off the roof by a jet of water; as he fell, a dozen golems on the ground came running and mashed themselves together to catch him and set him safely on the grass. Sonata killed the water and ran to help, the two of them pulling Hunter and Adagio to safety. Aria beat the golem off of her and she got to her hands and knees, panting heavily from the fright.

“Good thing you wear that puffy ass shirt.” Hunter noted as he stared up at the sky. “Great job you two.”

“Adagio!” Sonata dropped down and hugged her as she sat up on her knees.

“I’m fine,” She patted her back. “Thank you.”

“We should probably leave now.” Aria looked back at the condition of the roof. “Unless you want to explain this to the cops.”

“No, we should definitely go.” Hunter pulled himself up and collected his weapon. “Come on, we can sneak out the back.” He took them back downstairs and out through an employee entrance in the back; they ran for his car and he quickly got them away from the scene and headed back for his place. “Sorry,” He glanced into the back seat. “It’s my fault he found you.”

“It isn’t like you could have known about those little ones,” Adagio defended his actions. “Thank you for coming to save us.”

“Yeah.” Sonata nodded.

“At least you won’t have to pay for the room.” Aria added, Adagio and Sonata both looking at her crossly. “What?”

“Actually, that is true.” Hunter laughed. “I just hope their insurance covers monster attacks,” He twisted his lips in thought. “I wonder if that would go under ‘act of god’.”

Adagio sat back into the passenger seat. “So, what now?”

“Well, looks like you’ll be bunking with me till this is over.” He concluded. “Not quite as fancy as a hotel room, only one bed too.” He smiled across the cab to see her glaring at him. “Which… you three are welcome to,” He immediately added. “I’ll take the couch.” Once back at his apartment, he let them get settled while he called Sunset to let her know what happened and put in a special request. School was still in session, but she promised to be over as soon as it let out. Hunter returned to the living room and found his new roommates sitting quietly, no doubt stressed by the fight. “Okay, I’m having Sunny run by your tour van to grab you some extra clothes.”

“Thank you.” Sonata still managed a smile.

“Are we even safe here?” Aria asked as he sat down with them.

“Yeah, he followed us back to the hotel after he spotted me; but he still doesn’t know where I live.” He assured.

“This is ridiculous,” Adagio’s head lowered. “I admit we’re not saints, but we’ve been trying to move on from our pasts… and this is our reward.”

“You can’t look at it that way,” Hunter moved over to her side. “It takes a lot of strength to change and you three seem to have been doing a great job; but that’s the thing about pasts, no matter how far forward you move they’re always right behind you.” He smiled over at her. “I know what you’re going through; I’ve been working on changing ever since Sunny and I grew close.”

“Really?” Sonata looked at him in interest.

“Yep,” He nodded. “I was a child soldier, raised and trained to do nothing but fight monsters and madmen while living in the shadows.” He patted his chest. “Look at me now; I’ve got an apartment in the city, friends, a social life and a magical girlfriend from another world,” He laughed. “If you had told me this is what my life would be now even just a year ago, I would have thought you were insane.” His whimsy faded into grim understanding. “And yeah, like you, my past is still right behind me; so close I can feel it breathing down my neck, but that doesn’t keep me from moving forward because I know that what’s ahead of me is better than anything that’s ever been at my back.” His hand fell atop hers. “So don’t lose hope, we’ll get through this and get you back on your path.”

Adagio looked down at his hand in silence for a long minute. “I won’t do it, just so you know.” She spoke.

“What?” He asked.

“You asked me if I intended to use our magic against humans should we get it back… I won’t; Melodiam has shown me a possibility of what the three of us could become, I won’t become a monster like that again.” She held her head up with positive eyes. “Life may not be perfect, but you’re right, it is better than what it was and I won’t lose that… or take it away from them.” She looked over at her siren sisters.

“I’m with you.” Sonata nodded surely.

The corner of Aria’s mouth upturned ever so slightly. “Same here.”

Hunter patted Adagio’s hand. “Glad to hear; now that we’re cool I’d feel bad if I had to shoot you.” He pulled out his phone as Adagio quickly looked back at him in shock. Hunter sat back and hit his contact for Lily. “Hey Lily,” He began as she answered. “Everything’s going great… thank you.” He chuckled. “Yeah, I’m sure all the other field agents are making whip sounds, tell them to come do it to my face. Listen, I am having a bit of a hiccup that I could use your help with; this city is being threatened by an ancient siren and a human accomplice with a magical artifact that allows him to conjure semi-autonomous lifeforms from soil.” He laughed at her response. “I know right, but I’m going to give you a list of equipment that I’m going to need to stop them; but this is going to have to be off the books since this isn’t an official mission.” He listened to her concerned response. “I know, but if you can bypass the official requisition channels and get the stuff to Firebird he’ll pass it on to me; just tell him I’m cashing in that favor he owes me.” He stood and headed for the bedroom. “Thanks Lily… give me a minute and I’ll tell you what I need.”

As Hunter vanished into the bedroom, Aria raised her brow in consideration. So, there are other humans like him?” She looked to Adagio. “Not sure how I feel about that.”

“The hum… Hunter, has more than proved the caliber of his character.” Adagio stated confidently.

“I told you.” Sonata smiled at her brightly.

Fine, you were right,” Aria eyed her. “If we live through this you can have a cookie.”

“Yes.” Sonata pumped her fist.

Sunset arrived not long after four, bearing some of their luggage with fresh clothes and other personal effects. As the Dazzlings went into Hunter’s room to change, Sunset sat with him on the couch.”

“Are you okay?” She asked.

“Yeah, things got a little crazy but I had some pretty good backup,” He laughed. “Even without magic, those three are tougher than they look.”

“What about them?” Sunset looked to the bedroom door.

“They’re hanging in there; I think the thing hitting them the most is feeling so powerless in this situation.” Hunter surmised. “When they had their magic they were a force to be reckoned with, now they have to rely on us and that probably isn’t sitting well with their pride. Still, they’re coming around.”

“You’ve been a great influence on them,” Sunset praised. “They haven’t had many positive interactions with humans, so having you be there for them like this must really be affecting their outlook.”

“Me, a good influence?” Hunter scoffed.

“In your own way,” Sunset amended. “They’re from Equestria like I am; having you understand and accept what I am so easily meant a lot to me… I’m sure they feel the same way. They can be themselves around you in a way that they can’t with other humans.”

Hunter considered that for a moment as the Dazzlings returned; he looked them over with a light laugh. “Feel better?”

“Yes.” Adagio nodded, looking to Sunset with a pride swallowing sigh. “Thank you, Sunset.”

“No problem.” Sunset smiled.

“Well,” Hunter began as he stood. “We’re on a strict delivery only meal plan until this is over and tonight sounds like a good night for comfort food.” He looked over the trio. “What’s your favorite food?”

“Oh no.” Adagio palmed her face at the question.

“Tacos!” Sonata’s hand jumped up like an eager student.

“Tacos?” Hunter grinned. “Your favorite food is tacos?”

“Yep!” She beamed.

Hunter put his arm around her and smiled at Sunset. “Can I keep her? Please?”

“Absolutely not.” Aria yanked her back into their fold.

“Mexican food works for me.” Sunset giggled.

“Consider it done.” Hunter took up his phone yet again to place an order.