• Published 7th Apr 2020
  • 3,318 Views, 108 Comments

A new chapter - Ponelover



2 years ago the portal back to Equestria was broken. Now with the portal back up again, how much has Equestria changed during Sunset's absence?

  • ...
7
 108
 3,318

Going to Manehattan, Part 3

Gladmane’s cellar feels less like a cellar and more like a well lit storage room. With oppressively bright lights hanging from the ceiling, and of course. Wines and other vintage classics being stored at racks. I noticed some particularly fancy brands, coming from some Chateau’s in the Prance region in Equestria, some of them I’ve personally drink with Celestia before my trip to the other world. Say what you want about this Gladmane’s style, but at least he sure knows his wine.

Unfortunately, for all of us, we were bound and gagged, forced to observe in silence as silent mutters from Gladmane and the other Mafia Ponies emanate from the ceiling.

“I told ya! The society’s gonna loooove when they hear about some bigtime general and the rector of Ponyville’s finest school is acting in tandem with the common rabble. Just think about it, all the nobles, all those formerly rich landowners throughout Equestria, now knowing that the hero that saved Equestria is now on the side of the commoners? that’ll put some fire on the Princesses’s rump! that’s for sure.”

“But boss, you sure this’ll work? if everypony knows that these figures are on the side of the labourers, you think that’ll propel them to side with them even more?”

“Bah! We’ll just cut their pay if they show any affection to their cause, compel the rabble to our cause if necessary. Speaking of that, I think I’m going to have to publish a guide on how to do that. Hmmm… is ‘ensuring the Rabble stays loyal’ a good title?”

“Very good boss!” The mafia ponies seemed to cheer him on. “Anyway, I think we’re going to part away for tonight. It’s getting late.”

“Ah, of course! sleep well tonight. I’ve got some big plans for tomorrow.”

After that rather unusually nice send off by Gladmane. The silence of all of us looking at the conversation above turned into a frenzy the moment we hear Gladmane’s trotting ever more distantly. "Yo Tempest, is this what you want? a scenario that would befit some really bad fanfiction?" I asked. "I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be on the receiving end of whoever this ‘society’ is, sounds like a bunch of super shady ponies for me."

“That’s good, because I’m way ahead of you.”

I noticed everyone’s head suddenly turned and they all saw Tempest already freed of her bonds. I don’t know if her spell can also read emotions, but I hope that she doesn't read mine. If it weren’t for the gag preventing me from mouthing off, I would’ve dropped my mouth straight up.

Tempest’s horn glowed, her horn ring obviously missing, and proceeded to free us from our bonds. I also noticed that she severed her mental connection with me. Now leaving me free to wildly speculate as to how she managed to free her bonds so quickly. Does the Equestrian military include escape artist training as well?

“H-how?” I predictably asked. Adjusting my jaw as the strain from the gag is now being felt throughout my mouth. “How is that possible?”

“Just some training regimen during my time with the Storm King.” Tempest replied, “you learn a lot of things when you are the second in command of probably the largest army in Zebrica. And a lot of them also includes escaping from tight situations and/ or capture.”

“Anyway.” I heard Starlight replying. “That’s nice and all, but why do you bother getting us into such trouble in the first place? You know that we can gank those worthless two bit mafias if we want to.”

“Well, It’s simple. I want to see who our main foes are. If what Gladmane says here is true, which I don’t doubt it is, then we don’t really have the firepower to challenge them directly. We have to convince them to either back off, or get some firepower in the process. It’s fortunate that I notice a bunch of really official looking paperwork in Gladmane’s office, especially during his little gloating session about how he has captured us and all that fun stuff. Remain in here, I have to go fast but stealthy, Starlight, Sunset, can you prepare a teleportation spell? preferably back into that Pronx subway station?”

I looked at Starlight, we both smirked at each other, and nodded. “Of course. Just be careful tempest.”

“I will, don’t worry about me.” She said, trotting rather quietly into the cellar door. Opening it and surprised that there are no locks in place, and walked into the luxurious interior of Gladmane’s mansion.

Well, time to prepare that spell. “So, Starlight, rector of the School of Friendship. Nice job you have there.”

“Oh, you wouldn’t believe it.” She replied, powering up her horn as we striked a conversation. The sudden change of tone from serious to now more jovial surprised the Siren for a bit. Looking at us with eyes that scream confusion all over.

“You ponies are weird, you know that?” She said. Both myself and Starlight ignoring her comments.


I didn’t sign up in the Equestrian Military just to see my country’s values of Harmony be destroyed just like that, I didn’t sign up and fight that war just to see ponies living in cities like Las Pegasus or Manehattan spit on Magic, Laughter, Generosity, Loyalty, Honesty, and Kindness like It’s some archaic idea of a long dead nation.

No, screw that! I know very well of the potential risks of agreeing to Sunset Shimmer’s little expedition. I was one of the very few that was briefed on the full scale of what she’s attempting. I have to be honest, her methods are… unorthodox, what, with her potentially getting a Changeling to become an element bearer. It's certainly... unorthodox.

But, I must agree that sometimes, unorthodox methods may be the key to search for a solution. Even if it does include getting a Changeling to hold the Elements of Harmony.

These are strange times I thought to myself, my hooves trotted but leaving no noise, courtesy of the special shoes I decided to wear just in case something like this might happen. It’s only made for Equestrian Special Forces and Spies the last time I recall, allows us effectively infiltrate a facility with the littlest amount of noise, magically enchanted to make sure no sound can be heard, while still retaining some of the sturdy capabilities of a regular military boot. I sneaked through the now darkened interior of Gladmane’s house, trawling like a hidden shadow, my silhouette the only thing ponies can sense if they can’t see me directly.

It took some time, but finally I have arrived in Gladmane’s room, the same veritable gaudy interior felt like it still shines even at night. I proceeded to ransack the room, grabbing any valuable piece of paper I can find, private dealings, contracts, secret correspondences, all of it I grabbed with my horn, and put it inside my suit’s compartments. We’re going to need all the ammunition we can get.

Something feels wrong, this almost feels too easy. It’s like somepony wants to set up something for all of us, the bonds in those chairs are too loose to just be an accident. It’s almost like he wants us to-

Oh my Celestia.

I grabbed all the remaining paperwork and proceeded to trotted outside of Gladmane’s room. Now, to get back into the cellar. I need to cross this hallway with a flowing stairway in the back, and a massive door in the front, a veritable entrance to Gladmane’s house, this would be the perfect situation for a bright light to emanate right from a conveniently opened door, just a perfect scene for a setup.

I ran straight towards the corridor, and just like clockwork, I knew it.

Bright lights flashed. I instinctively shielded my hooves from it, and as my eyes adjusted, I saw a series of figures, Gladmane among them, all of them wearing fancy clothes, and some of them wearing MMPD uniforms.

Oh you freaking bucker.

“General Tempest Shadow, come out now! No funny business!” The loudspeaker roared. So, this is his game now? Buck, I should’ve known this from a mile away, how could I’ve been so stupid!

I stepped out off of the limelight. Only to see a bunch of police cars, black luxury sedans, and a lot of ponies hanging around, some of them looked like they come straight from the Canterlot Nobility, dresses and suits and all, while some of them look like super hardened police officers, probably some war veterans in the mix as well. I saw grizzled chins and well maintained mane’s, old, worn down MMPD uniforms and dresses and suits at the same time.

“Well well. If it isn’t our lovely guest.” A pony from the group speaks out. “Stealing trade secrets from Gladmane’s legitimate business I see. How in the world did the Princesses’ underlings stoop so low.”

“You’re the one to talk.” I replied. “Using hostages in negotiations with royalty? Union busting? Colluding with the Police? I don’t see any of those values ringing well with the majority of ponies!”

“Tsk tsk, General Tempest Shadow. Such Anger, it’s so unbefitting of a mare of your stature. Perhaps I have to introduce myself, oh, and don’t forget about your friends now.”

I immediately saw a bunch of tied up ponies being dragged from the police blockade, and thrown into my proverbial lap, and, not surprising me at all. It’s the Sunset and the rest of her gang. I immediately ungagged the rest of the team and leaned down on the team. “Sorry girls.” I said, “it seems I really did underestimate the enemy.”

“You think?!?” Sunset retorted. “Gods, now we have to not only fight these ponies, but the MMPD as well?”

“Don’t worry. I have a plan.”

“I… think we’d have enough of your plans Tempest.” Sonata replied, something to which I cannot retort, just my mouth opening and closing again. Way to go Tempest, good way to ruin your first impression.

“I guess you’re right.” I replied, only now shutting up as a certain well dressed Pony started trotting towards us. By the looks of it, a Stallion with a noble upbringing. If his mane and his rather stiff upper lip isn’t any indication.

“Pleasure meeting you. Name’s Silver Plate, I suppose it needs no introduction, but could you please hand over Mr Gladmane’s paperworks?”

My body instinctively shielded itself from his proposal, a slight shift of the body to make my stance look harder. No way, I’ve worked this hard to gain those papers, and I am NOT losing them and probably die in the process. I was about to say something when Sunset then stepped ahead of me, her eyes still defiant at the odds presented to her.

“I’m sorry, but that’s not possible Mr Silver Plate. I’ve already seen what you’ve done to the labourers of Manehattan, and I cannot just stand by while you exploit them like that.”

“Ohohoh, you are indeed a brave one Miss-”

“Sunset Shimmer.”

“Well, Ms. Sunset, if your desire is to be with the rabble, then perhaps you can join them.”

As if on cue, all the corrupt police officers trained their weapons on us. “Take care of them boys. We have no need of them.”

I instinctively prepared for the worst, a shield spell was casted from my horn as the sound of gun shots suddenly rang out in front of me. Luckily, I noticed a sudden orange tinge as Sunset assisted me in casting the spell. Time seemed to slow down for a while, but as the first bullets impacted the shield, time seemed to return to a normal pace.

And it’s hectic. Bullets ringing, screams and shouts, my horn struggling to keep the shield spell intact.

I was about to be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of bullets impacted the shield when a flash of light blue magic blinded me, and everything felt quiet again. I turned my head, my adrenalin still hasn’t died down from that confrontation, and saw the Manehattenite skyline all over again.

“Did Starlight just?”

“Teleported us? Yes.” Sunset replied. “I’d be honest, we came up with that plan last minute, police officers were suddenly swarming with the place and I had to give Starlight some last minute orders. Thank Celestia we made that out alive.”

I only nodded. “Well, if we want to prevent the whole city of Manehattan from jumping down on us, we better move quickly and fast. I have the documents, do you know a place where we can be safe?”

I looked at the group and immediately knew the response, none of them are really familiar with Manehattan to such an extent. I sighed, rubbing my temples at the current predicament we’re now in.

We should’ve just dispatched those gangster ponies in hindsight, why are you so stupid!!

“Alright. I know somepony that lives here, I know that she lives right here in Manehattan, but I need to make some calls. Don’t worry, she’s as harmless as a fly, she also makes some great vegetable empanadas the last time I saw her. I uhh, I need to get into a phone booth somewhere.”

I was about to trot when Sonata suddenly stormed up in front of me. “Hey Tempest, no offense, but the last time we went with your plan. It kinda fell down by the wayside, with police cars and all that, are you sure, like, reeeeally sure, like seriously serious sure, that she won’t betray us or do something crazy?”

“I’m sure of it. We didn’t fight 2 wars together for nothing.” I simply replied. Walking to a nearby telephone booth, putting some bits on, and then ringing up an old friend.

I have a feeling everyone will freak with how she looked, not sure about Starlight though. I think she has seen her. Maybe...


The apartment that Tempest brought us into is the very definition of luxury. Tempest has talked with this mysterious mare in question, and judging by the general’s reactions, she seems to be quite willing to harbour us for quite some time. A good thing considering that the entirety of the MMPD will be gunning us after this whole debacle, hopefully they wouldn’t snoop too hard on the more richer parts of Manehattan central.

Apparently this mysterious mare also has a good style in taste, the reception desk of this very luxurious apartment is made out of solid mahogany, with the random pieces of artwork decorating the sides of the lobby. There are sofas, tables, even what looks like a closed down restaurant. It is midnight at this point.

I did not expect that Tempest would know such a mare in the first place, looking at Starlight and Sonata. They both also share looks of absolute incredulity, just who is she? Is she another famous business pony or something? Tempest says that she fought in the war, but from what little information I’ve gathered, the most famous generals seem to just… vanish after the war ended, perhaps they just wanted to live their lives in solitude?

Tempest was seen briefly talking to the reception desk clerk, and after some nods and random miscellaneous paperwork that she has to sign. One of the many elevators lining up the lobby opened, it’s golden doors greeting us into what seemed like another world.

The ride itself was uneventful, I myself only spending time within the elevator thinking of scenarios where we might end up on top, and the only thing that I can think of is what’s inside of Tempest’s pockets, those documents are the key. I can only pray that Tempest has snatched as much evidence as she can, because otherwise, I don’t see an exit path out of this.

The elevator dinged, It’s doors opening into a single door. I looked at my sides and only saw wooden walls and well manicured trees beside it. The crimson mare tapped on the wooden door, it’s sheen carved with a symbol of the moon, and the door, as if on command, opened up.

I couldn’t see much of what’s in front of me. She seems so small! Is she like the daughter of this mysterious girl Tempest’s been swooning about? Tempest seems rather excited talking to her though, discussing about recent events and recounting old memories, wait. Is she?

“Good news.” Tempest turned towards us. “Selenite here will allow us to stay for the time being, and she’ll try her best to do what she can so that we can weather this storm together.”

Besides Tempest, I can see a mare with a black coat and gray hair, she seems rather chipper for someone that seems to be woken up at night, her eyes are slitted, her mouth visibly sporting some fangs, and jet black leathery wings can be seen from her side.

“Your friend is a batpony?” I asked. “I never thought that-”

“Yeah, I know.” The batpony replied. Her voice much lighter and more chipper than I expected. “I guess us more ‘dark aligned’ ponies need to stay together or something. Come in, come in.”

“By the way, that’s a joke.”

We immediately entered into this batpony’s penthouse, a veritable treasure trove of luxury and riches, as the door closed. The full extent of her wealth became much apparent for everyone to see. Large TV Sets, a well endowed kitchen, sofas and rugs seemingly imported from Zebrica or Griffonia, and all of them styled in a way that fits more of a noble household than the home of such a seemingly small in stature batpony.

And by Celestia, she’s so small! Roughly half my height, she doesn’t seem to be particularly imposing at all, a definite break from the usually very intimidating creatures. This Selenite seems to be much more optimistic, her beaming smile almost radiating out of her very dark coat. I would’ve guessed she’s almost permanently happy to an extent.

If it weren’t for Tempest Shadow’s reference, I would’ve never thought of her to be a soldier. I guess wars can bring even the strangest of ponies into the limelight.

“Anyway.” She said, now laying down at her couch. Looking at all of us intently. “How can the former Night General Selenite help you? I’m sure my skills as a former Night Guard to Princess Luna can be of use.”

My head struggled to comprehend what was in front of me. Here is a batpony, usually a pony group much more reserved by Equestrian standards, and from my personal experience, never possessing this much wealth, a rather small batpony I might add, a contrast to the usual picture of what I think a batpony should be, seemingly living in the lap of luxury, in addition to being a former night guard of Princess Luna as well.

“Uhh. I, I need sometime to think.” I replied, having a hard time comprehending what was in front of me.