• Published 7th Apr 2020
  • 3,318 Views, 108 Comments

A new chapter - Ponelover



2 years ago the portal back to Equestria was broken. Now with the portal back up again, how much has Equestria changed during Sunset's absence?

  • ...
7
 108
 3,318

Beyond Equestria, Part 1

The window of the aeroplane is an interesting place to stare at. Especially when you are reserved in your own seat while Sonata is still busy gawking at everything she could get her flippers on.

Let me start from the beginning. Twilight bought us some tickets to New Mareland, okay, that’s fine. The one thing that she didn’t tell me is that the Airport in Canterlot looks more like some luxurious old house, the ones where Kings used to live than your regular old airport. Security was a bit too lax for my liking, even as news of the Yucca island incident circulates across the country.

As the aeroplane took off, I found myself wondering what this shadowy organisation’s desires are. It’s for certain that the incident in Yucca island is orchestrated by The Society, the thing that I want to know is why, who is in control of The Society, and why are they so focused on Equestria right now.

If recent history is to be believed, it could potentially be anyone, Discord, disgruntled Griffons, Changelings, or maybe even some Ponies. There’s a lot of things to be angry about in this new world, I’m really afraid about Discord personally, I’ve heard stories of his antics from Celestia, and no one knows what he can do should he have a chip on his shoulder.

Gosh, thinking about these things is making me quite terrified, let’s not go full Twilight mode while on a plane Sunset.

“Attention Mares and Gentlecolts, please fasten your seatbelts, we are now only 15 minutes from arriving in New Manehattan. The weather is clear, with 25 degrees celsius ground temperature and no massive cloud formations near the city. Thank you for flying Pegasi Equestrian. The premier airline of Equestria, serving more than 200 destinations in Equus, Griffonia and Zebrica.

I straightened up my seat and fastened the seatbelt. I've never really flown in an Airline before as a human, much less fly in this so-called ‘Business Class’ that Twilight booked for all of us. It’s an interesting experience, the only time I’ve ever travelled a long distance was on a boat, a Steamboat from Manehattan to Las Pegasus, and now we are arriving in New Manehattan after only a day of flying.

I also don’t know what to think that I’m flying on a plane as a Pony first, rather than as a human, shouldn’t that be the other way around? With how advanced technology is in the human world? Eh, beggars can’t be choosers this time around.

I also saw a bunch of Pegasi boarding the plane at the gate. Knowing their… inherent abilities, It felt weird, but I do see the convenience of taking a plane instead of flying to Griffonia by yourself.


Wow.

You know, I’ve been to a ton of places during my life, I’ve been to Manehattan, Las Pegasus, the Crystal Empire, even Yakyakistan and the Changeling lands for that matter. Some of those places I’ve visited multiple times.

In the human world mind you, not here in Equus.

And yet, this planet just found even more ways to astound me. Because of this city, New Manehattan. Oh my goodness…

I’ve seen the statistics before, technically speaking. Manehattan does have a larger economy and city population. But by Celestia does New Manehattan make it look like Manehattan is just some regular old city. Shiny new buildings are being constructed and brought up, an airport that makes Canterlot’s airport look like a chump change, and when we exited the airport, the outside has a gigantic park where Ponies and Griffons are frolicking around.

All set on the backdrop of massive Skyscrapers, when we landed in New Manehattan, there were skyscrapers, where we exited the aircraft, skyscrapers dominated the skyline, and when we exited the airport itself. Even more skyscrapers. Pinkie would’ve called this town ‘Skyscrapertopia’ for sure.

An impressive city. A metropolis on the other continent that matches the splendour and cosmopolitan feeling of Manehattan, but we’re not here to take a road trip, we are here to get an Element Bearer.

And we don’t know where to start.

“Alright, Sunset. So, we’re here, in New Mareland, where do you want to begin?”

“Hmm, I don’t know, does anyone have any ideas?” I asked the group. “I’ve been thinking that we should go to the City Center first, and look at the sights for a while. I always found that wandering around the city can be rather… interesting, you discover a ton of new places just from wandering around.”

I looked at the other compatriots of Sunset’s group, Tempest is nonchalant as always, but Sonata? Her eyes are heavily fixated on the Skyscrapers overlooking the airport. One wonders whether Sirens really like flashy stuff, or if it’s just Sonata being Sonata.

“Fine, let’s take a taxi and get on with it,” I said, only for Starlight to look at me with confusion.

“Sunset, there’s literally a subway station over there.” She pointed out, rightfully, at a nearby small tunnel. The ‘New Manehattan Transit’ sign emblazoned on top of it. “We can just go there and try to find out who’s the next Element Bearer we’re going to meet.”

Ah, I didn't notice that there’s a station there. Alright, let’s see where this new transit system will take us.


It didn’t go as planned.

Sure, we reached the centre of town, sure, Sonata gets to fly and see all the new sights and sounds of the city, much to the surprise and interest of the local pegasi who never saw what a Siren looked like, and sure, all of this distraction is proving to be a rather enlightening study at how Griffons and Ponies can live and work together. As a former student of Celestia, I can tell you that Ponies and Griffons don’t have the best history with each other.

But it doesn’t change the fact that we’re nowhere near an Element Bearer.

As if that’s not enough, it’s almost sundown and the Hotel Management must be rather miffed at how their supposed VIPs still haven’t checked in. Yeah, we were bringing all our baggage this whole time while we were adventuring/ vacationing in the city. What’s that about thinking things through? Yeah, we collectively forgot about all that.

“Sunset, don’t you think that we should call it a day for now? It’s clear that we won’t find any signs of Gallus at this point. It is a big city after all.” Sonata suggested, already looking exhausted after all that flying around.

The last time Sonata suggested that, well, the last 3 times she suggested that, I brushed her off, saying reassuring things about how it’s all going to be fine. But now? All of us are looking exhausted after spending hours upon hours of searching, looking at everyone around us who might look like a new element bearer.

Fine, even I have a heart sometimes okay? I didn’t get reformed by the human mane 6 for nothing.

“Alright, we’ll go check in the hotel, the whatsit called?”

“The Coltdorf Ponystoria.” Sonata replied.

“Yeah, yeah that. Apparently, this hotel’s pretty famous in town right?”

“Twilight told me that it is the best place to stay in Manehattan, and said that she has booked 4 separate rooms in the ‘Royal Suite.’” Starlight commented.

“Hmm, sounds fancy.” I remarked, thoughts about Twilight crying for the bits she’s about to fork over flashed in my mind, and further thoughts about Celestia looking at Twilight with a disappointed look, lecturing the purple Mare about ‘reckless spending habits’ also flashed inside my mind. It made me laugh a little bit.

It’s probably not true, it looks like Princess Celestia was the Pony who arranged our flight and accommodation, but it’s still a funny thought. Bookworm Twilight the reckless spender, ah… the wonders of the imagination.

“Alright, where is it? How many blocks do we have to trot to?” I asked the group. We are taking directions from Starlight and Tempest collectively, both mares knowing the city like the back of their hoof.

I tried remembering the specific directions Twilight gave to all of us during the meeting, it’s just right after that map was reactivated. “Get to the downtown train, if you see a building with pointy spears sticking out and grey bricks, then you’ve arrived at the hotel.” She said.

Hmm, grey bricks and pointy spears, isn’t that?

I turned my head around and yep. There’s a building just across the block with the same description that Twilight told me. With the visible logo of the Coltdorf Ponystoria on the walls. “I think we don’t have to go far. It’s literally right there.”

Everyone turned their heads, a collective look of interest washing over them. “Well, I didn’t expect the hotel to be that close.” Starlight commented. “Wait, are we just walking in circles this whole time? I thought I remembered where the Coltdorf’s located…”

“Well, evidently not,” I replied. “It’s not a big deal, big cities like this tend to be confusing even to the best of us. C’mon, let’s get in and relax. Our next element bearer should still be here in New Manehattan.”

We entered the hotel's front entrance. With everyone feeling rather tired and lounging at the massive couch located in the central part of the lobby, trust me, I would’ve done the same thing, but I, Sunset Shimmer, still have to do this whole Check-In thing so that we can properly rest and relax.

“Welcome to the Coltdorf Ponystoria, how may I help you.” A Griffon staff greeted me, dressed immaculately in a brightly coloured uniform. His monotone voice

Hey… he looks familiar… Didn’t Starlight tell me that one member of that friend group’s a Griffon?

“Yeah. Did I get a reservation under Sunset Shimmer? We’re from Equestria.”

“Hmmm… Ah, got it right here. 4 rooms for 4 right? All in the Royal Suite too.” He whistled. “Alright, let me get those keys and get someone to bring you to your room.”

The Griffon then did some things in his drawer, called out a Pony from somewhere else, and promptly handed me 4 keys. “Alright, so these 4 keys will lead you to rooms 4506, 4507, 4508, and 4509. They’re all located on floor 45, so take the elevator over, and you’re all set. Loyal Service will be your bell mare for now, she’ll take care of your baggage needs alright?”

A red-coated pony in the same uniform as the Griffon greeted me. All was going well, but there was one thing that I needed to ask him first. I have this sneaking suspicion, but I need to confirm it with one simple question.

“Excuse me, but is your name, Gallus?”

The Griffon almost did a double take. Yes, apparently he is Gallus, his changed demeanour certainly indicated such. “H-how did you know my name?”

“Just one second,” I said. Quickly running towards Starlight and bringing her towards the front desk. The headmare’s facial expression changed from confusion to excitement immediately after seeing the Griffon. “Oh my gosh! Out of all places! It’s nice meeting you again Gallus. Gosh, how long has it been since you graduated? Ponyfeathers. I can’t wait to tell Ocellus and Silverstream that you’re here.”

The blue Griffon’s face paled immediately at that mention. “Please don’t. I don’t want anyone to know that I’m working here, please…”

“Oh fine, but do come to our rooms after this whole ordeal’s finished okay? Do we need to rest for like… 3 hours from now? So knock on our doors at like, 7 or 8 or something. We have a lot of things to catch up on.”

The Griffon didn’t manage to blurt out a response, just standing there with his mouth agape as we slowly corral ourselves (and the Bellmare) into the elevator, eventually reaching the 45th floor and subsequently relaxing for the rest of the day.

Doing a bubble bath with a view of the New Manehattan Skyline really does wash away your tiredness like it’s nothing.

Really, Gallus and how he ended up here has become our new priority for the moment. I can’t wait and listen to what his story’s like.