• Published 27th Mar 2020
  • 373 Views, 21 Comments

The Stolen Acorn: A RariTwi Exquisite Corpse - SigmasonicX



Rarity steals an unusual acorn from her beloved Twilight's bag and secretly tries to return it, but things get confusing from there.

  • ...
7
 21
 373

5 - Undome Tinwe

"So, while I was still living in the library, I did some research on its construction," Twilight said casually as they ran down the streets of Ponyville, weaving through the crowds in pursuit of their quarry.

"Oh?" Rarity could only spare a glance at her marefriend — and, perhaps, maybe, hopefully, something more — before having to swerve to avoid a startled Octavia, who barely managed to avoid dropping her cello as the pair zipped past. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. You aren't the type to reside in such a remarkable construct without investigating its origins. What did you discover?"

The bird swooped right through the market, forcing Twilight and Rarity to navigate a path around the various carts set up around them. "Well, as you might expect, it didn't simply grow into that shape on its own."

"Earth pony magic?"

Twilight nodded. "It's an old technique, and not many ponies still know how to do it, but there's still a few books on the subject. I have one in the castle if you want to— whoa!"

Ahead of them, the Flower Ponies screamed as the avian menace swooped down on their cart, the glittering prize in its claws brushing against the roses arranged into pretty little bundles as Lily, Roseluck, and Daisy collapsed into a faint. Fortunately, that allowed Twilight and Rarity to leap over their unconscious bodies as they continued their pursuit, thankfully exiting the market and its crowd.

"I think I'll pass on that offer, dear," Rarity said once they managed to return to their chase in a more normal fashion. "But thank you, regardless. Still, I suppose this means that creating a new library won't be an issue?"

"If the acorn you found in the Friendship Castle really is from the original tree, then yeah, we can grow another building from it like they did all those years ago." Twilight paused as they rounded a corner that Rarity knew led to a dead end. "Thing is, after my ascension, I started experimenting with channelling different types of magic in concert with each other."

They were catching up to that damnable bird. Rarity could make out the general shape of the ring it held in its claws as its wings continued to flap powerfully, keeping it barely ahead of the two ponies chasing it. "That sounds like a fascinating avenue of study," she commented as she continued to run, trying not to think about what all this impromptu exercise was doing to her makeup and hair.

"It is." Twilight agreed. "What was especially interesting was— ah-hah!" Her words cut off as she leapt into the air, her hooves barely grazing against the jewellery that the bird seemed so insistent on absconding with. "Oof," she muttered as she fell to the ground.

There was no time to stop and make sure her beloved was okay. They had reached the end of this alley, and the bird was already angling upwards to make its final escape to where they — or at least Rarity — wouldn't be able to follow. The time to act was now, and Rarity put all her strength into her back legs as she pushed off and stretched as much as she could.

Hoof met wing, and the started avian released its prize as it struggled to maintain its balance.

The ring fell into Rarity's forehooves as she collapsed onto the ground, kicking up a small cloud of dust she did so. She immediately brought the precious object close to herself, hiding it from the grasp of the fiend which screeched at her with the raw hatred that only such animals could muster before flying away in a huff.

Rarity took a moment to admire the diamond she'd chosen for this piece before turning to see how Twilight was doing. Her marefriend had already gotten to her hooves and was galloping towards her with worry in her eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"Perfectly fine, though I suspect my immediate future holds a spa trip in store for me after we thank Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie for their help in retrieving the acorn from that ruffian," Rarity replied. "Anyways, you were saying something before that unfortunate interruption?" Her heart began hammering away in its chest as she remembered just what she held in her hooves, and she used the question to divert Twilight for the moment and collect herself.

"Oh, right." It worked, fortunately, as Twilight returned to her lecturing mode. "What was especially interesting was how other types of magic could be woven into earth pony magic to accelerate its effects."

Rarity froze. "You mean..."

"Applejack probably won't like it," Twilight said, smiling warmly, "but I don't want to celebrate the opening of the new Golden Oaks library alone." Sadness tinged her eyes. "I know there's a lot we won't be able to do together, but I want to be able to share whatever experiences we can, and I don't want to miss out on a single opportunity with you."

The love that shone from every part of her expression nearly brought Rarity to her knees as tears began welling up in her eyes. "Oh, Twilight..." she whispered, happiness bubbling in her heart. "I don't know what to say. I'm supposed to be the romantic one in this relationship."

"Well, you could start by asking me the question I assume you want to ask," Twilight replied. "Unless I completely misread the reason why you have such a nice ring in your hooves."

How could she ever deny her love anything? Rarity smiled as she sank down on one knee, holding up the ring with a hoof. "Twilight, my darling, dearest heart. Will you do me the honor of marrying me?"

Three things happened at that moment.

Twilight gave her reply.

An unholy, inequine screeching filled the air, like the sound of a hundred birds crying out for vengeance.

And the acorn in Rarity's saddlebag began to glow and vibrate.