• Published 27th Mar 2020
  • 405 Views, 3 Comments

Resonance Change - Macrophage



A reformed changeling and a human enter into an odd timeshare agreement as they figure out a new world, new hardware, and what the heck those ponies running around with letters for names are.

  • ...
0
 3
 405

Chapter 4: Happy Bug Noises

Author's Note:

Slice of life-ish chapter before the last chapter. Mike and Pinea get cooking and the agents are almost done wrapping up the mess, getting some new help.

Next installment there's one mess left....

Chapter 9: Happy Bug Noises

Saturday 1:17PM MST: Take a wild guess where we are



Mmmph, I wake up, slowly. Last night was very rough, but maybe something better would come of it. If anything, I feel a lot closer to Pinea. I realize how ridiculous that sounds when I share a body with him, but it’s true. I didn’t realize what he was carrying around with him. If his experience was like the others, it meant they all had this same burden of guilt, yet nothing I’d seen poking here and there into his memories suggested they had the problems with it like he had. Of course, the one that had problems with it before it was ‘fashionable’ would set a higher standard for himself.

But in a way we were both screwups in our own ways. He was right that my experience was nothing in comparison, but we both punished ourselves for the past to the detriment of the future. Sometimes it took seeing it in someone you knew to realize how bad it was for you. There were still a lot of things about last night that I needed to mentally unpack.

Ugh, so much weighty stuff! I get to my hooves and go into the kitchen. I look up at the counter. What do I want?

Oh, YES. I know. This could either be an awesome idea, or I’m going to create a massive mess.



Twenty minutes later it’s both. A few failed levitation attempts early on led me to just change to Mike and take care of things. Oh, the smell alone is worth it. I’ve been craving these.

“Mmmph, what’s that smell?”

“Wait, have you been asleep?”

“Yeah, why? What’s up?”

I lean against the table laughing. So, in a technical sense I was just sleep-cooking. OK, that’s good! I guess one of us can be out while the other is up. This arrangement keeps getting weirder.

“Really, what’s the smell? I’m really hungry now.”

“Banana pancakes!” I say to him triumphantly as change back and float the plate down, drenching them in syrup. It may not be fancy, but it’s one of my favorite things. I also get down knife and fork because I am not burying our snout in that sticky mess.

After the first taste I reconsider the snout burying option. I’m also not the only one thinking it. Were changelings big fruit eaters? I’m sure these taste better than I remember.

“You doing better today?” I ask

“Yes, I think so Mike. Thank you. I really needed that last night. There’s a lot of things I need to think over about the past now, but I needed that for a long time. Sweet Celestia these are tasty!”

I don’t ask, but just check the name out in his memories…hmmm, horns AND wings? What’s up with the images on the flanks of all the ponies?

Then another thought hits me. “Pinea, do you cook or anything?”

“Oh YES! After things changed in the hive so did our diet thankfully. I got the chance to learn from some ponies. And really took to it!” I can feel the sudden eagerness as he starts finding memories of past things he’s made to show me. Mostly baking. More than a little sugar too. Who’d figure an insect-like hive race would have a thing for sugar.

I counter his images of one with the nearby mega grocery store, remembering what’s in the isles. I…I think he’s making a high-pitched buzzing almost. Wait, I think he’s making me do it too. Oh my God this is so cute!

“OK, we’re doing a road trip to the grocery store. Cue shopping montage!”



I drive to the store as Mike. Pinea’s a bit nervous watching the traffic, much like driving to the park. I try to explain the rules as we go so that he will worry a little less. I’m not letting him behind the wheel anytime soon though.

Once in the grocery store it’s a different matter. I hand off control to him. I kind of want to sit back and watch this. I think this is going to be fun, and I never have fun at a grocery store. After last night I want to give him a kid in the candy store moment. I know I was kind of rough on him, but I thought it was necessary. I want to show him some upsides of being trapped here with me.

“Okay, leaving it all up to you Pinea, so get whatever you want. Two things. First, don’t get lots of one thing. They restock this place constantly so we can come back any time. Second, ask me any questions. Hopefully I can answer as we go, like how something tastes or do we have enough room to store it.”

In our little headspace he nods with such a dumb happy look on his face I have to laugh. I realize that to the outside world I look like an idiot right now. Screw em! I’m having too much fun watching this.

I answer a LOT of questions over the next hour. I don’t mind. The longer I watch him though I realize how jaded I must have become. I’d drag myself here, grab a few things and go home. He’s running through at least one or two new ideas for recipes every isle we go down, except the detergent isle thankfully. I wonder if this is how he felt teaching me all those things yesterday? Maybe not walking, but certainly flying he seemed happy.

He’s very creative too. So many ideas running through his/our head, I wonder how he keeps them straight. Maybe he doesn’t. It’s surprising that he couldn’t come up with a spell…

Wait. Maybe...A couple times when we had students with problems in my class, I’d try to flip the context of a concept. Maybe that was it? The mental shaping of that magical energy to something useful…. Did I just hit the context that worked to do that? I thought of it all in terms of physics, particles, and reactions. Maybe that framework was what I needed, no, maybe it was what HE needed.

“You know if you buy it you have to cook it.”

“Duh, what do you think I’m going to do with all this?”

The cart is a mighty mound when we get to the checkout, and that’s with putting a limit on the amount of fruits so they don’t spoil. I’m not big on them, but I’m wondering if that’s changed with other things because Pinea really gets a wide assortment. As we get to the checkout, I think maybe we have a months’ worth of groceries in here or more. Is flight going to be an option in a month?

“Hey Mike! Restocking the bomb shelter?” I hear as I immediately get thrust back in charge.

I look over to Shelia, “Haha. Just stocking up. Had some real inspiration to do some cooking and baking the last few days.”

Albert said you were running more tests a couple days ago. Take the time off Mike. We can survive without you.”

“Can you though? Look deep in your heart and ask yourself…. Can you?” I laugh.

“Wow, you certainly seem more relaxed. You should take more vacations.”

“It’s actually been a pretty busy weekend. Felt like I’m beside myself,” I say, Pinea laughing to himself as I do, “But it’s a good hectic.”

“Must be,” She nods, “So anyhow, I don’t think you’ve been checking your Email, but Albert’s folks have a farm for special events. Event cancelled but they’ve paid for everything and forgot to cancel, so he’s invited the department out this Sunday.”

“Oooh, I don’t know,” I start.

“C’mon Mike, this sounds interesting. I’m curious now,” Pinea says. “How about that showing me the world stuff. You can start with those you work with.”

“Really? You sure. That’s a few hours at least….”

“We can hold this form all day Mike. That’s just an excuse.”

“Open bar Mike. Hayride. Music,” Shelia says, leaning in a bit.

“C’moooooooon.”

“Okay, sure, why not. Maybe not so much drinking. Someone needs to be the designated driver.”

“Whatever! See you then,” she smiles, driving her cart out.

I pay for our groceries, balking a little at the price, but it’s worth it. “Had fun?”

I get more buzzy bug noises.

“So, what if I said I had an idea for how you might create a spell.”

“Really? How?”

I chuckle as he seems to get even more buzzy. “You’re going to learn some science.”

***

4:13PM MST: Mike’s Kitchen

We’re in the kitchen, Pinea at the changeling reigns as he levitates one item after the next. He’s working on an ‘easy’ mixed berry banana bread with bananas, a hint of peanut butter, raspberries, and a combination of blueberries and saskatoon/juneberries. He wasn’t kidding about intending to cook everything. He actually has three versions of the recipe going as it’s something he’s just come up with. As he mixes and bakes, I’m trying to give him some basics in physics. I’ve taught more than a few classes, at least where it relates to chemistry and biology. This is NOT where I saw my career heading.

“You know you could just refer me to the parts of your memory where you took this,” he suggests to me.

“I don’t think so. I think it’s critical to really understand this in a way that YOU can think about it. The way I think about it may make less sense. You must put it together into a way that works for you. Sort of like you letting me work out how walking and flying feel and how muscles move.”

“Makes sense. And this works with magic how?”

“When I put together that spell, I was thinking about everything in scientific terms. Think of this as background information. So what you said about that book saying a lot of spells coming from telekinesis this I think is the key for a lot of it. You said it got ‘technical’ after that. I think this is the technical part. So basic telekinetic spell you can grasp and poke things. Shots would be throwing that force. A shield, shaping it like a wall.

“If it’s that simple why couldn’t I do it?”

“First, to create a large shield would take a lot of power. Think like two very large hooves pushing out against something. More hoof, more energy. Sort of like holding a larger shape. Second did you think of it terms of moving molecules? Again, like shapeshifting I think you need a clear idea of the thing in your head, and I think in a way that’s ‘right’ for it to work.”

“Okay THAT makes a lot of sense.”

“Right. So how about we give it a shot?”

“After the loaf is done though. I have to see how this turns out.”

“Agreed, that smells way too good to wait.”

***

4:13PM MST: 28km Outside Regina City Limits

“Ugh, why’d it have to be Bugbears. I HATE bugbears,” L moans, taking a shot that goes wide as the bugbear dodges. One was a hooffull but there were two out here they caught stalking a hobby farm.

“Take it easy, U’s got it. DON’T YOU U?” G says, shouting up. U is currently stuffed under one massive bugbear arm as almost an afterthought as it takes swings at Q who is flying around the beast, the green hued changeling trying to keep it busy and find a way to save his partner. G and L are facing off against the other bugbear.

“I hate you so bucking much right now G!” U shouts back, trying to pry herself free.

“That’s ma’ girl!” G shouts back with a laugh taking flight, copying the bugbear he’s on and tackling it.

“Why can’t you do that Q?” U shouts as Q dives, latches on to the arm holding her, changes to a bear to pull the arm holding U up before being shook off, but it gets U free as she streaks away.

“Hey. If you’re so good how about YOU try to do that hmm?” Q grumbles. Switching back and flying up. To their side G loses shape and is trying to lead his target. L’s next shots hit their mark as he re-positions.

“How much more do we have to tire them out?” U huffs, picking a point to divebomb her target. There’s a truck incoming now. Wonderful, another headache she thinks as her hooves connect with the head of her target, causing it to land on its ass with a thud. It shakes its head and roars as she tries to put distance between them now.

The truck pulls up as an old woman in her seventies gets out, calmly assessing the chaos of the current situation. She rummages through a bag, looking up again, shaking her head, and then searching again as G gets a bugbear elbowcheck in midair.

“Ooof! I’m guessing until they’re tired and stop resisting,” G yells, turning and flying back, trying to pull attention back onto him and away from L.

The woman goes to the back of the truck pulling the tarp off revealing several smashed beehive boxes as she pours something on and gets back in the cab, driving closer. As she does, both bugbears sniff the air, re-orient on the back of the truck and fly down, going after the contents in the cargo bed. Landing on the truck jostles the driver, who makes a throw motion with her arms. L nods to her and throws two gemstones in the back of the truck with magic as everyone disengages the target, watching and hoping. All are counting down twenty seconds. When the time lapses there are two flashes, and everyone exhales coming down to the truck. U is getting out her truncheon again as the human exits the cab.

“U dear, smack me with that and I’ll see the next replacement gem feeds back on the wielder.” She says, her form wavering and then disappearing as the hologram drops revealing an older light green earth pony with white mane strapped into an exoskeleton.

“M? You came out after all?” she says, smiling as she looks over the suit. “OK, this is impressive.”

“Indeed, I had to field test it, and this seemed the perfect opportunity. A literal field test.”
“I knew bears liked honey, but I’ve never seen bugbears get so obsessed about it mid-combat” L says, looking in the back of the truck and reclaiming the two now full traps.

“Bugbear pheromone L. You little ones have to remember not everything gets solved with a fight. Though I suppose after about, oh…two minutes you would have had to deal with bugbears in a mating rage.” She, smiles. “That’s when they get REALLY tough.”

“Still, really glad to see you M,” G says smiling and giving a small bow to her as she laughs.

“Always the charmer,” She smiles. “So, how have you been doing? I swear A’s going to be bald if the stress this week keeps up.”

“Two more.” Though they’re probably big.

“Well, hop in the truck. I have a room where you can rest up for a bit. We’ll get a meal in you all and then go after the next target.

“Brought some toys?” Q asks.

“Don’t I always?”

***

Saturday 8:43PM: Mike’s House Again. It really is a lot of his world.



We’re tired when we come in from the backyard, but the day has been filled with happy bug noises. With some coaching by me on the thought context we both ‘discovered’ a shield spell and the ‘force push’. I’ve been thinking more about the future, paying attention to how Pinea discovered these things, making my own mental notes.

Magic seemed to rely on raw power and control. Raw power was innate, but control appeared trainable and the key to it all. It shaped the power, and with no shape to the power the spell would just fizzle. It was apparent we had sufficient power now for whatever reason, so it was a lot about the second. Creating the right mental contexts to pull off magic.

I was thinking smaller. If telekinesis could be refined to the molecular level, then the possibilities expanded exponentially. At the same time though a few of the ideas that came to mind were also pretty scary, and I’m not sure either of us wanted some of those. Fireball was good in a D&D game, but not so much in real life when you considered what sort of nastiness it could unleash. Or if you could mentally accelerate that power like a supercollider… there was a nasty thought too. There could be other peaceful ideas as well. Light could be a wave and particle, so maybe invisibility?

We’d talked a bit more about the destructive spells and agreed not to go that way again. Stunning maybe, but nothing that would kill. Neither of us had the stomach for that. I wasn’t sure about Pinea, but I still didn’t trust myself with the option of deadly force. I’m not sure he does either.

We’d stopped partway into the evening for a supper consisting of the banana berry bread. I’m really amazed by his skill. It wasn’t even a recipe before today. I make sure we write it down though and save a couple pieces for work. I’m not sure if its appealing more to our tastebuds, so I need a human second opinion. I DO try it in human form and it still tastes amazing, but I need more test subjects. We settle in to watch another movie. I suggest Men In Black.

“Today’s been really something else Mike. You know… It’s not been long, but I really think I could like it here.”

“Wait unit I have to go back to work. You might think twice,” I chuckle

“Come on, I’m serious!” he laughs. “We just were able to do something today I’ve wanted to do for years and years, and do not one but TWO spells! You’re a pretty good teacher.”

“Not where I envisioned my career going, but I’ll take it. AND I did it without mortally embarrassing anyone.” I kid back. We’re on the couch in our mental space to sit beside each other, though I suppose technically I’m in control of ‘us’ right now.

“Again, I’m sorry for that Mike. When I learned how I think there had been a rock thrown at my head by another grub. I couldn’t exactly do that to you. I don’t get what you’re embarrassed about though. Not exactly sure what that was for.”

I look at him, I think nearly as shocked as when I first saw him in the mirror.

“What?” he asks, confused.

I sigh, finally relenting and pulling up a memory of one of those items that I’d been keeping hidden tightly away. His eyes go wider, his carapace somehow blushing.

“OH! OH! I see. I’m sorry,” he says, but he’s also grinning.

“You don’t exactly look sorry.”

“Sorry. Actually, it does bring up something I was wondering about. When THIS happened, you weren’t…I mean. There wasn’t a special somepony you were with was there?”

“Somepony? OH! No no.”

“Good. It didn’t come up and there weren’t any memories that suggested it, but I was worried maybe all this might have ended something….”

“No, it’s OK. I’m single. Wait, did you…?”

“No no, just myself. Sooooo?” he grins at me.

“What?”

“Mares? Stallions? Both? Neither?”

“None of those because I was a human.” I laugh, “It’s kind of complicated.”

“Try me.”

“Okay, I guess either or neither as you say, I don’t really find anyone ‘sexy’, it’s more about the feeling I get with someone. Not so much on the physical looks.”

“You’re SURE you weren’t a changeling before this?” Pinea laughs.

“Oh? So tell me about the mating habits of changelings,” I smirk, sitting back.

“There’s a lot of varieties, but the thing is, when you can switch shapes up so easy, it gets to be way more about the personality. At least in my thinking. It gets complicated around a lot of things though, but personality tends to be very critical.”

“I mean it is with humans too, though nobody goes to a bar and whispers to their friend “Look at the personality on him! But really, ummm, this kind of brings up a question,” I say. Now it’s my turn to blush.

“Hmmm?”

I flop us over on the physical couch, looking down. “I was wondering how you or we even ‘do’ things? I changed to human to use the facilities, and well, there’s not exactly anything there on our form.”

Much as I expect Pinea breaks out laughing as I blush internally and externally.

“Everything’s internal Mike. Though if you want to see….”

I go to say no and flop over, but he’s grabbed control and rubbing a few places. Then I see…

***The following account has been redacted by the (ORGANIZATION WITHHELD) under the Sentient Species of Equestria Act (SSEA). Those wishing a transcript of such accounts for academic use are urged to apply to the SSEA under the Sentient Nookie Understanding of Gratificational Gaping and Lewd Entertainments Stipulations (SNUGGLES). Please allow 6-8 weeks for us to ignore your application, at which time you are encouraged to apply again.***

***