• Published 26th Mar 2020
  • 3,735 Views, 103 Comments

Mirror Equestria - FujiwaraJunko



When Sunset awakes after a spell meant for the guards escorting her out exploded in her face, she finds herself in an Equestria that wasn't the same Equestria she knew.

  • ...
6
 103
 3,735

Problem Solving Part 1

“It started out between 2 of my friends, Applejack and Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy began sadly. “We were all best friends, and Applejack and Rainbow Dash always had a sort of friendly rivalry going on.” She paused before adding softly, “I don’t like it when they fight though.”

“Rivals are nothing new where I’m from. You either win against your competitors or you lose what you have. It’s simple. Only the strongest will ever survive!” Sunset growled as Fluttershy seemed to cower at her tone.

“That doesn’t sound like a very nice place.” She whimpered.

“Speak for yourself.” Sunset snapped at her. “So, what happened between them?”

“Right. Um… Well, Applejack needed help at her farm. She had an apple sale going on, and Rainbow Dash promised to help with all of her friends and even the Wonderbolts, which she’s a part of.” Sunset nodded with a confused frown on her face.

“Uh-huh. What’s the problem then?”

“Rainbow Dash didn’t show up.” Fluttershy’s ears drooped. “So Applejack got angry and wouldn’t speak to her since. But then, Rainbow Dash insisted that she had turned up as promised and nopony was there. She was really angry about being embarrassed in front of everypony like that, especially since she idolises the Wonderbolts, and claimed that Applejack lied about the apple sale in order to humiliate her.” Sunset just shrugged.

“Meh. It’s no big deal. In a city like mine, you get used to it. Some ponies resort to tricks like those to fool their competitors and come out on top. It’s a fairly common tactic if you want your competitors out of your way.” Fluttershy frowned at that.

“That really doesn’t sound nice at all.” She sighed before continuing. “I tried to get them to talk to one another, because it just didn’t make any sense. Everypony knows Applejack just can’t lie, and Rainbow Dash isn’t one to just abandon her friends like that. But both of them just got angrier.” Fluttershy seemed on the verge of tears at that.

“I…see. Well, maybe they were both just pretending.”

“What?” Sunset shrugged.

“You know, maybe Applejack is capable of lying after all, and just made it seem like she couldn’t so that everypony would believe anything she says since they think that she can’t lie. And maybe Rainbow Dash made it seem like she would never abandon a friend so she could gather more ponies to be on her side whenever a disagreement like this comes up. In every disagreement, the side with the most supporters is usually the side everypony believes.”

“Applejack and Rainbow Dash would never do something like that!” Fluttershy scolded, her wings flaring up. Sunset just rolled her eyes.

“It is a possibility. You’re just being gullible.”

“No, I’m not.” Fluttershy’s tone was angry, but her voice remained soft as ever. Yet, tears rolled down her muzzle as she sported an unusual glare on her face. “They weren’t even competing over anything! Applejack just needed help, and Rainbow Dash offered that help. They didn’t have a motive to gain an edge over the other at all.”

“They would have a motive if they were competing on who can sell the most apples.”

“Which wouldn’t exist if one didn’t show up. Sweet Apple Acres is the only farm in Ponyville which everypony buys from. Rainbow Dash didn’t even have apples to sell.” Sunset frowned.

“Ok, you got me there. That does seem strange.” She put a hoof to her muzzle. “Got any ideas of what could’ve compelled them to do this to each other?” Fluttershy shook her head.

“No. I asked Pinkie Pie about it, but she just made things worse.” Sunset tilted her head in curiosity.

“How so?”

“She suggested that a party would cheer everypony up, and because it was only between the two of them, I suggested a small party just within us would do. She didn’t heed my advice, and threw a huge party that attracted the attention of nearly the whole of Ponyville and the loud noises startled the poor animals. I had to go comfort all of them.” Fluttershy’s ears drooped again as she recounted the memory. “I, uh, I got angry at her, and she blew up back at me, screaming that Rarity told her that I told her that I wanted flamboyant costumes for the two of them in a huge party so that everypony would laugh and forget about being angry. She then accused me of not having told her that I wanted a big party and not a small party because it was going to be two separate parties, the bigger one of which she said I wasn’t going to invite her to. And I said I didn’t ask for anything like that, and Rarity insisted that I did.” Her voice shook and her eyes watered anew as she spoke. “And then from there, everything just…blew up. Everypony started arguing and now…”

“So that’s what led to this, huh.” Sunset gave a low hum. “Say, have you spoken to any of them since the big fight?” Fluttershy shook her head ‘no’. “Then let’s go clarify some things.”


“So, this Rarity, she said you wanted costumes for a big party but you don’t remember any conversation like that?” Fluttershy shook her head in response. “Then who exactly did she hear it from?”

“I don’t know.” Fluttershy said softly, lowering her head to the ground. “I didn’t get to ask her about it.” She said before stopping in front of a building which read ‘Carousel Boutique’.

“A boutique, huh? Well, time to get some answers, then.” Sunset said as she entered the shop.

“Welcome, darling~!” Rarity greeted cheerfully, only for her expression to change instantly after seeing Fluttershy, who hide behind Sunset. “Well, hello there. You must be new here. I take it that you’ve already met Fluttershy, but don’t be fooled by her name. That girl sure can be mean when she wants to be.”

“Oh, I don’t want to be mean.” Fluttershy whimpered softly. Sunset just stepped forward.

“Yeah, I heard the story from Fluttershy, but I want to hear your side of the story too. So, what happened, from your point of view?” Rarity harrumphed.

“It’s really quite simple, actually. I was just working in my boutique when Sweetie Belle -that’s my younger sister- came in and told me that she ran into dear Flutttershy over here. She told me that Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were planning a party to get Rainbow Dash and Applejack make up and asked for my help, and I thought ‘of course, well why not’, all that fighting was getting me so stressed that I couldn’t get enough of my much needed beauty rest anyway. But on that day, Fluttershy just threw my generosity right back at my face by saying that she didn’t ask for any of this.”

“I didn’t meet Sweetie Belle at all that day.” Fluttershy spoke up in confusion. “And Pinkie Pie told me that you told her that you needed these costumes for a big party, which made Pinkie Pie believe that there were two parties and I wasn’t inviting her to the bigger one.” Rarity’s expression turned confused at that.

“I never told anypony that I was working on these costumes -it would be a nightmare if anypony finds out that I made such silly costumes- and certainly not on a big party.” Sunset just sighed.

“Alright, first confusion. Now let’s go find this Pinkie Pie then.”

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter!

And in case anyone asks, yes, this is sort of loosely based off the events in Equestria Girls. Part of it anyway :pinkiehappy:

Hope you guys enjoyed this!