• Published 26th Mar 2020
  • 3,693 Views, 103 Comments

Mirror Equestria - FujiwaraJunko



When Sunset awakes after a spell meant for the guards escorting her out exploded in her face, she finds herself in an Equestria that wasn't the same Equestria she knew.

  • ...
6
 103
 3,693

Leaving

What exactly is my purpose here? Sunset couldn’t help but wonder. What am I missing? She frowned as she paced around in her home. There’s got to be something I’m not seeing. She sighed as she looked up at the sky, as if her answers would be there somehow. Unconsciously, her eyes shifted to the sun.

I’m a horrible pony. Sunset looked behind her to see Celestia curled up on the ground, her face buried in her hooves as she sobbed.

“Princess Celestia?” Sunset asked as she walked up to her, placing a hoof on her. Instantly, her eyes flashed white as her geode glowed.

How could I have done that? To my own sister! How could I have just banished my own sister to the moon for a thousand moons? I don’t deserve to be a princess. Luna… Oh, my sweet Luna… You were never to blame. I was the pony who had driven you away from me. I was the pony who had been so blinded, being in the spotlight, that I chose to turn a blind eye to your suffering. I was the pony who was never there for you when I was supposed to be. I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry. Those three words seemed to repeat forever and Sunset could hear the haunting echo in her head even when Celestia stood up.

“Princess Celestia?” Sunset shook her head, trying to regain her bearings as she snapped back from the empathy flash. Celestia looked to the moon in the sky as tears streamed down her muzzle.

“Luna… How can I rule over my subjects when I couldn’t even save my own sister?” She hung her head in shame. “When you return in a thousand moons, you should be the one to take my place as princess of Equestria.” She looked back up to the mare in the moon. “You were right, Luna. There can only be one princess in Equestria, and that princess…should be you.” Spreading her wings, Celestia took to the skies and disappeared into the distance.

“Ugh…” Sunset blinked, finding herself back in the library. “I wish it wouldn’t be so sudden sometimes.” She groaned as she looked back to the sun. “So that’s what she thought on the night she banished Luna, huh.”

“Perhaps you can help my sister learn to forgive herself and get her to come home.” Luna’s words sounded out in her head as she shot the sun an exasperated look.

“Are you kidding me? That’s my purpose that I still have yet to fulfil?”

“Hey, Sunny! Figured something out?” Sunset nearly hit the ceiling when Pinkie’s voice sounded out of nowhere.

“Gah! Pinkie, seriously, where did you come from and why do you always seem to appear out of nowhere?!” She complained as she looked to her side, only to find all of her friends gathered. “Wait, where did all of you come from too? Since when have you been here?”

“Since a while ago, while you were doing that empathy flash of yours.” Applejack replied.

“Our geodes started to blink, and we thought you might have been in trouble or something, so we rushed over!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“Are you ok, Sunset?” Fluttershy asked in concern.

“I-I’m fine. Thanks, girls. Sorry to worry you.” They smiled in relief.

“Don’t worry about it. So, what was all that about, darling?” Rarity asked curiously.

“I just had a vision of Princess Celestia after she had banished Princess Luna, or technically, Nightmare Moon, to the moon.”

“Oh… Are you going to find her then?” Fluttershy asked. Sunset nodded hesitantly.

“I think so. I mean, that’s probably the purpose Luna was referring to, right? I…I don’t know, actually.” Sunset sighed. “I mean, I am kinda worried about her since, you know, she was my mentor and all. Luna seems to think that I can help this Celestia learn to forgive herself, and it’s something that I’m most likely gonna have to do myself, but I’m not sure if I’m capable of doing that.”

“Of course you can, Sunny!” Pinkie chirped. “You were close to her in your world, weren’t you?”

“That’s the thing, Pinkie. This Celestia isn’t the same Celestia I know. And I was really terrible to the Celestia from my world! I’m nervous to even look at her, even if she’s just a lookalike! Plus, she’s not the Celestia from my world. She doesn’t even know me!”

“But if anypony could understand what she’s going through now, I reckon it’d be you.” She looked to Applejack. “You, or Princess Luna. You’ve both done things you regret, and Princess Celestia is probably feeling the same way now as you two did before.”

“And you’re really good at fixing problems! You fixed the problems in Ponyville and helped the Crusaders and Princess Luna to see the error of their ways. You’ve even helped Twilight make friends! You’re the best pony to talk to Princess Celestia!” Rainbow Dash reassured her. “And besides, we’ll always be on your side, even when we’re not physically there, remember? You’ll be fine.” She said, placing a hoof on Sunset’s back.

“And don’t forget that we genuinely care for you.” Fluttershy joined in as she placed another reassuring hoof on Sunset’s back. One by one, the rest of her friends followed suit.

“Besides, darling, we’re connected by our geodes. If you ever feel down, just remember us!” Rarity said.

“And all the times we spent together and everything we did together, even the bad times!” Pinkie added. “Oh, and remember to smile! Smiles can turn a bad situation into a happy memory!”

“You’ll always be a part of my, no, our family, Sunset. And an Apple never forgets family, even those long gone. Don’t you forget us either, sugarcube.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.” Sunset wiped a tear away. “Thanks, everypony.”

“Oh, and Sunset.” She looked to Fluttershy curiously.

“When you find Princess Celestia, talk to her about your problems too. She may not be the pony from your world, but she is essentially still the same pony. You may get some answers.”

“She’s right, sugarcube.” Applejack said. “Take this chance to talk to Princess Celestia. She may not be the same pony you know, but she’s probably the only pony who understands the reason your Celestia treated you the way she did.”

“You didn’t get to talk to your Celestia properly before, right? Being a princess must’ve kept her busy.” Rarity said. “You fixed our problems. Now, it’s time for you to fix yours, darling. Take all the time you need with Princess Celestia.”

“I guess you’re right.” Sunset looked down for a while, before looking up with a determined look in her eyes. “Yeah, I’m gonna go find Princess Celestia and talk to her.” She turned to her friends. “Really, thanks, girls.” She really was lucky to have friends like them.

“I’m going to miss you so much! Don’t ever forget us, Sunset!” Fluttershy hugged her.

“You know I won’t, Shy.”

“Don’t forget your Pinkie Promise!” Sunset smirked.

“Not for the life of me. I won’t question how, but I know you will find a way to travel across worlds to find me if I ever do break my Pinkie Promise.”

“Yup!” At Pinkie’s confident reply, all of them could only laugh.

Author's Note:

Wow, we're already at chapter 15? :rainbowhuh: Somehow this story seemed longer than I expected it to be when I started it :twilightsmile:
Enjoy! We're nearing the end! :pinkiehappy: