• Published 26th Mar 2020
  • 3,682 Views, 103 Comments

Mirror Equestria - FujiwaraJunko



When Sunset awakes after a spell meant for the guards escorting her out exploded in her face, she finds herself in an Equestria that wasn't the same Equestria she knew.

  • ...
6
 103
 3,682

Redemption

“You’re right. We don’t.” Sunset said. Nightmare Moon just cackled.

“All that high talk, and yet, you admit that you don’t have all the Elements of Harmony required to stop me!”

“That’s where you’re wrong, Nightmare Moon.” She smiled as she looked back to her friends. “I have my friends with me. And when those Elements are ignited by the spark that resides in our hearts, it creates the 6th Element; the Element of Magic.” As she said that, a star-shaped geode appeared above them. All 6 ponies floated up into the sky along with their geodes, casting a dark shadow over Nightmare Moon, who could only watch on in horror at her impending doom. They pointed their muzzles towards Sunset and their geodes projected beams of light in various colours into her back. The beams came together to form a bright white glow behind Sunset, who closed her eyes as she felt the magic filling her. Her horn grew longer, as did wings of pure yellow energy burst forth from her back. “True magic comes from Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter, Generosity, and Kindness! And this creates the most powerful magic of all; the Magic of Friendship.” She said as she levitated the Element of Magic in front of her.

“No! NOOO!!!” From the combined light of the Elements, a rainbow beam shot towards Nightmare Moon, engulfing her in a rainbow spiral within seconds. As Sunset’s eyes flashed white, the resulting flash engulfed all of them.


“Oohh…my head!” Rainbow Dash groaned as the rest began to stir.

“Everypony ok?” Applejack asked as she checked all of them.

“I think so. What was that?” Fluttershy said.

“I’m not sure. But I think we did it, girls.” Sunset said as she looked up at the sky to see that the moon had lowered and the sun now shone brightly in the sky. “That was the power of the Elements of Harmony. We couldn’t have unleashed it without letting true friendship into our hearts.” She looked over to where Nightmare Moon was, smiling when she saw a dark blue alicorn with an ethereal mane and tail on the ground. “And I think we might be able to help another pony do the same.”

“Is that…Princess Luna?” Rarity asked as Sunset nodded, walking over to the Alicorn.

“While I don’t represent any of the Elements of Harmony, I do have a geode of my own.” She said as she got down next to Luna and levitated her geode to show her. Luna just kept silent, listening as Sunset spoke. “I’m not entirely sure if this is even an Element, but it does grant me some unique powers of my own.” She smiled compassionately to Luna.

“How were you able to wield the Element of Magic even though you’re not its Bearer?” She asked in confusion.

“Because Friendship is Magic, and I wielded it with the help of my friends. Without them, I wouldn’t have been able to do it at all. My friends have taught me many things since I came here, and I’d like to do the same for you.” She said, smiling to her friends before looking back to Luna. “You and I aren’t very different. A few nights ago, I was able to use the power of this geode and view into the past to witness your banishment as well as Celestia’s memories. In those memories, while Celestia wondered what went wrong, I saw what she hadn’t noticed. I saw ponies who relished in the sun’s embrace, yet shunned the peace of night. I saw ponies who watched Celestia’s every move with a sense of admiration, yet paid no heed to you as if you didn’t exist. I saw an alicorn that didn’t get the same love and respect from her subjects as her sister did.” Luna looked down at Sunset’s words. “I saw a pony who was brushed off when she confided in the one pony she thought would be on her side about her trouble. I saw in you the same pony that I was before, Princess Luna, and I understand you. Sometimes, to be a friend, a little empathy is needed.” She said as she stood up and held out a hoof to her. “Take my hoof, and let me show you that there’s another way, just like my friends have done for me.” Luna looked away, only to see the 5 ponies who had helped to defeat her giving her hopeful looks. Looking back to Sunset and seeing her hopeful eyes, she finally gave in and took the hoof offered to her, allowing Sunset to help her up.

“I’m so sorry.” Sunset nodded.

“And I forgive you.”

“Us too.” Pinkie said as they gathered around Luna and Sunset. Sunset smiled gratefully to them before turning to the crowd of ponies who have witnessed the defeat of Nightmare Moon.

“Listen, everypony.” All the ponies of Ponyville turned their attention to her as she spoke. “Princess Luna, while it was under the influence of dark magic, had placed fear in everypony’s heart for a thousand moons. And then finally, on the thousandth moon tonight, she, as Nightmare Moon, brought on eternal night and terrorised us while she watched us scatter like mere pests, taking pleasure in listening to our frantic screams.” Behind her, Luna hung her head in shame. “However, I want you to know that she hadn’t intended for this to happen.”

“I don’t want to do something like this! Somepony, stop me! I don’t want this!”

The white glow faded from everypony’s eyes as they snapped out of the telepathic flash Sunset had shared with them. “I know forgiveness isn’t easy, after all that she had done.” She continued. “But all I ask is that you give her a chance.” The ponies of Ponyville looked to one another, murmuring amongst themselves, looking unsure. “Please. Give her a chance to show that she can be a better pony.” The ponies looked at Sunset and her friends, who were all giving them pleading looks, and nodded. It was like a weight lifted off her shoulders in that moment as Sunset gave all of them an appreciative smile.

“Thank you, all of you.”


With the daybreak after the eventful long night, all the town ponies returned to their daily routine while Sunset stayed behind with Luna to enlighten her on what had happened while she was gone.

“And yeah, that’s what happened while you were banished to the moon, as far as I know.”

“Hm… And what happened to your wings? I could’ve sworn you had wings when you were wielding the Elements.” Sunset shrugged again.

“I’m not really sure. But it doesn’t matter, I’m pretty sure that’s just a one-time thing.” She said, waving her hoof dismissively. “Nothing to worry about.”

“I see…” Sunset looked to her curiously.

“What are you going to do now?” Luna raised a hoof thoughtfully.

“I suppose I might go back to Canterlot, however I am not sure if they will need me. After all, from what you told me, Equestria has been without a ruler for a thousand moons and it is still standing.” Sunset looked down.

“You know, Princess Luna? I think Celestia is still alive, somewhere out there. I mean, the fact that the sun and moon were still being raised is proof, right?” Luna nodded.

“Indeed, she is. I can still sense her magic.”

“Yeah, so I was wondering… Are you going to search for her?”

“Yes, and I will bring her back. It is time we put our differences behind us. We were meant to rule together, after all.” Sunset nodded.

“Oh…would you like to stay for a while before you go? You don’t have to though. I mean, no pressure or anything, right?” Luna looked at Sunset’s hopeful smile and smiled softly.

“I’d like that, Sunset Shimmer.”

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter! Enjoy! :yay: