• Published 24th Mar 2020
  • 267 Views, 4 Comments

Crimson Warlord: How do I feel? - shattered_sky



Serene has always eliminated the kingdom's problems with cold efficiency. Leading a group of former criminals and disgruntled upholders of the law. But when she begins to feel will she carry out her duty, or chase her desires?

  • ...
 4
 267

Follow Up

Pepper was walking through the streets of Manehattan. He wasn’t convinced that the salt and weapons supply was the only one. He did consider the fact that the distributers still had some stock but not too much. Someone in Griffonia was exporting the salt but now the local authorities were keeping track of things.

He wasn’t quite satisfied. He would clean up a bit more.

He could smell somepony familiar. “Ponies never change.” He muttered sadly. Following the smell to the slum side of town. The so called Drifters were creatures from different races who came to Manehattan, allured by the promise of money. Then the war came in full scale, leaving thousands without work.

Of course the non-ponies were fired first. This part of town was actually owned by various business ponies. The drifters were illegal settlers. At one point the Warlord Serene was called to deal with the problem. She flat out refused and brought the matter to King Sombra. The King then started a project to relocate the Drifters. But the workers were harassed by Celestia’s army and it was never completed.

The Directors were livid at Serene’s insolence however. Good thing she found favor with Director C and King Sombra. Or else Serene and her team would all be locked up again. This probably explains why the acquisition of resources took months and their budget had been reduced several times. All the while trying to find some way to prove the Warlord’s incompetence and unreliability.

Pepper thought ponies were foolish. They were supposed to be united against their enemies.

Climbing up the various shoddy buildings Pepper thought of all of this. Eventually he found the pony he was looking for. Some deal was going on and they couldn’t be more obvious. He could barely make out what the four ponies were saying. He caught the barely noticeable shimmer of a sound bubble.

One of them handed a bag of – what Pepper assumed – bits. And a Pegasus passed a pouch back. The pony pulled out a cube of salt and gave it an experimental lick. “It’s now or never.” He whispered, he slowly drew his sword as he prepared to jump down.

“Oh no.” A filly passing by was grabbed by one of the thugs. Without thinking he jumped down. Drawing the sword he slammed the hilt on the unicorn’s horn. ‘Disable unicorn first, potentially the most dangerous.’ Pepper thought. A crack resounded and before the unicorn could scream he punched him in the gut.

He then turned to the thug holding the screaming filly. ‘Usually Pegasis next. But he has a hostage. But I have the element of surprise.’ He slammed the flat of his sword on the pony’s head. The thug went down and the filly squirmed out.

The Pegasus tried to take flight but he grabbed him by his hoof and slammed him down. The remaining thug stumbled. “Pony. I recognize you.” Pepper tapped his chin, the other while pointing his sword at the trembling thug. “Ah yes. I told you to go clean.”

“C’mon dude I have to make a living!” The pony whined. Pepper could not remember his name – nor could he discern the color of his coat – he knew this pony was a small time dealer he let go. On the condition that he went clean.

“You know, I told you to stop this. So I let you go.” He shook his head. “I’m sorry. I gave you a chance.” He then raised his sword to kill the stallion.

Magic surrounded his sword. He tried harder yet he couldn’t move his blade. He looked over to the unicorn he knocked out. “Still out, Pepper wonders…” He stared the filly. She was crying and her horn glowed.

“Please don’t. You don’t have to kill him.” She pleaded in a weak voice. He was surprised.

“Little one. He would have done things to you. Maybe kill you.” He spoke calmly with a curious tilt of his head. “And he ruined the lives of others. Do you still want me to spare him?” He asked. She nodded.

“Yeah listen to the little filly! I have a family man!” He whimpered. “I also have good info! Just don’t kill m-me!” He yelled in terror.

Pepper sighed heavily. “Alright pony. But you won’t get any more chances with me.” He coldly spat out, his eyes hardened. “Now what do you know?”

The stallion then went on to say he overheard something. Apparently a few crates of weapons and salt were still here. One of the larger dealers decided to cheat the others, and stockpiled a few crates. Pepper realized this was one of the dealers that was still at large. There was a big deal going on today in a warehouse in town.

“Alright then, just go. And remember, if you do anything like this again or if you’re lying to me… I WILL find you.” The whimpering stallion nodded rapidly. “Make sure your friends change too, yes?” He nodded again. “Good, I’ll be off now. I hope we meet on different terms.” He kneeled down and growled in his face. “For your sake.”

The stallion fainted. Pepper took the salt but left them the bits. He then looked at the young filly. She was not really a filly but not quite a mare yet. Now taking a good look at her, she was severely malnourished. Her ribs were showing and her eyes were bloodshot. For some reason the blue crystal heart cutie mark was familiar. “Little one, don’t be afraid.”

He felt her magic washed over him then pulled back. She gave an uneasy smile. “Thank you…” She weakly spoke.

He tried to give his most reassuring smile. “Pepper is sorry for scaring you. But Pepper’s job to catch bad guys.” He explained. “What is little one’s name?”

“Skyla.” She then glanced at the ponies. “Are you going to arrest them?” She asked.

“Well… Pepper helps cops.” He crossed his arms. “But these poor ponies that do bad things. I have to get boss ponies to stop all of them.” He sighed. “I guess Pepper could let them go. Hard for ponies to change if they are in jail, yes?”

“I believe ponies should be given chances. So thank you for that too.” She stared at the unconscious ponies for a while.

“Skyla is lovely name. So where are your parents?”

“I don’t have any sir.” She looked down. He felt his heart break. “I should be on my way.” She then got up.

“Wait! I can help you.” He blurted out. She stopped and looked at him. “I have a friend, she’s quite old. Bad back. She need help at store.” He explained. “Is simple work, you like?”

She mulled it over for a bit. “Thank you very much sir, I do need one.” She agreed happily. Pepper thought this was odd, most ponies would be suspicious of him. Even if they didn’t know who he was, based on the fact he was a Diamond Dog. He brushed it off as her being desperate for help.

“Alright.” He wrote down the address. “Is clothing shop. Owner friend of Pepper.” He scratched his head. “But you need to tell her this. ‘Tuesday night is bright. For dog looks after friend.’ You got it?” She nodded. “Good, don’t forget it. It will let her know Pepper ask.”

He then pulled out a water canister and some dried fruit, placed it in a smaller bag and gave it to her. “I’m going to walk you near there okay?” She shook her head. “No? Little pony is not safe here. Dangerous area.”

“I’ll be alright sir. You’ve already done so much for me.” She frowned. “Not to mention you’re trying to catch bad ponies right? I’ll just be on my way. Thank you very much sir.” She beamed and she went on her way.

Pepper didn’t like leaving her like this. So he decided to stalk her from afar. Until she reached the safer parts of town that is. He tailed her for around half an hour. She didn’t move that fast. When she was a ways from the slums he decided to go chase that lead.

It brought him to the industrial district. A textile warehouse, next to the factory where various garments were produced. He didn’t have time for backup. He might have been too late anyways.

He could always pop in and just whack them. That was the fun way. But he remembered about the firearms and begrudgingly decided to sneak. You couldn’t outrun bullets after all.

Making his way near the entrance he heard the clip clop of a pony approaching. He raised his sword and braced himself. A stallion came out, with a riffle slung on his back. He slammed the flat of the blade on the stallion’s head. Slumping into unconsciousness, Pepper caught the stallion, dragged him inside, tied him up and stuffed him into a trashcan.

He stared at his sword for a moment. “Pepper needs a baseball bat.” He muttered.

He heard ponies talking. As he went he disabled the guards by slamming his sword or chocking them.

“Look these are all high quality.” A stallion holding up a riffle angrily muttered. “What else do you want?”

Pepper was not familiar with any of them. The fact that they covered their cutie marks and he was colorblind didn’t help. But he could smell salt and gunpowder.

“Yeah man. I getcha. This salt is primo dude.” A stallion that could be described ‘far out dude’ replied. “But ain’t it a little pricey? I mean, this isn’t what we agreed on.” He sighed.

‘Seven targets left. Two with riffles, four with peashooters one with a gun Pepper doesn’t recognize.’ The diamond dog thought. The angry pony – what Pepper decided to refer him as – was about to speak but he was cut off by another earth pony. For some reason the way he carried himself made Pepper focus on him.

A two toned messy mane – amber and brilliant gamboge but for him it was barely different – and a hat. “Look partner, thangs ‘ave been hard. That damned gang took out the rest ‘o my supply.” He walked forward and pulled out a riffle out of one of the boxes. “So, supply and demand an all that.” He chuckled. “So it’s this, or not at all.” He glared at the ‘high pony’.

“Chill… I just thought you could cut me a deal.”

He smiled and shook his head. “Look. Ah need ta get a little sum sum then I can getcha back.” The angry pony snorted. “In a few weeks’ time I can get a stable supply. Next time around y’all can come back for a discount.”

The ‘high pony’ sighed. “I getcha dude. You’ve done me a solid every time.” They both smiled and shook hooves and the high pony passed a bag of bits. “C’mon dudes. Load ‘em up.”

Pepper decided to act now. He threw a flash bang and covered his eyes. The pony with a hat saw it coming, turned his head away and covered his ears. Pepper hoisted himself over the railing and took down the two ponies behind the high one.

A shot hit him in the stomach and he barely deflected one aimed for his head. He dashed and took cover behind some defunct machinery. “Well butter mah butt an call me a biscuit! Ah wusn’t aware that imma put an end to Tuesday!” He yelled in glee.

Pepper groaned and held his stomach. The bullet didn’t penetrate due to the enchanted armor but it felt like he took a boulder to his gut. He took a peak around the corner but quickly pulled back. The stallion with a hat took another shot at him.

“The big boss sends a DOG after me. Aren’t you a good boy?” He then laughed. Pepper chuckled, this pony didn’t know the irony of it.

“Dude let’s get out of here!” The high pony yelled in panic. The angry pony fired a few shots on Peppers cover before hauling the crate in his magic.

“Sure! Let’s.” The southern pony drawled before throwing a grenade. Pepper stared at the metal apple that landed in front of him. His eyes widened and he tossed his pack on top of the grenade and dived in the opposite direction. It let out a loud shrill noise and sent shrapnel in all directions.

As the smoke cleared he lay there, groaning. Bits of shrapnel peppered his arms and legs, his torso protected by the plate he wore. He heard the sirens in the distant. “PEPPER… DID NOT CALL COPS. COPS TOO FAST. WHY?” He was somewhat deafened but he could still hear the sirens. Which meant the cops were nearby. He groaned and grabbed a cloth, gathering what was left of his belongings.

To his surprise a familiar Pegasus flew up to him. “Dude! You just gotta go and have all of the fun yourself, do ya?” Lightning Dust remarked.

“WHAT IS FAST PONY SAYING? PEPPER CAN’T HEAR! ALL PEPPER HEAR SIRENS. AND RINGING.”

LD suppressed her laughter as she prodded the confused diamond dog out. “We gotta go!” She yelled, wrapping Pepper in her hooves and taking off. “Oof! You’re heavy big guy!”

“PEPPER NEED NEW BAG. ALSO PEPPER HURTS.”

*******

“I would recommend using half and half. Cake flour and all-purpose.” Serene recommended. Mountain nodded and followed her instructions. “Oh Button, could I get you anything?” She sweetly asked.

The young stallion coughed. “Nothing mam.” He politely declined. ‘She’s the mighty dragon slayer everypony at hq talks about?’ He thought. He flinched at Serene studying him. “On second thought a glass of milk please.” She placed two glasses of milk on the table with her ribbons before sitting across him.

“You seem quite young to be an agent.” She drank her milk, giving herself a milk mustache.

“I… never imagined that you were a Warlord mam.”

She giggled. “Touché.” She then turned her head. “Father! Use Melted Butter please. Better if you brown it, then add some water. It’s going to lose some water.” She called out. “My father seems to have taken an interest in baking.”

“Your father?” He curiously asked. Looking at her, he thought she was absolutely adorable. But he was nervous, his superiors wouldn’t have put her in this position if she wasn’t qualified.

“Oh it’s in my file.” She easily replied. “So why have you paid me a visit?”

“Well mam. Mr. Express actually invited me.” He scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. Mountain shivered as he felt Serene gaze in his direction. “As an apology for yesterday.”

“Ah is that so? That explains the cookies.” She took another sip of milk. As Button Mash drank his milk Serene spoke up again. “Do not take this the wrong way Button Mash. But you don’t seem cut out for your job.” A clatter could be heard from the kitchen. Button Mash choked on his drink.

Serene moved over and patted him on the back. “W-what?”

Sighing Serene returned to her seat. “Look, I’m worried. Children should not be going on assignments like that. Good thing my team didn’t just kill you.” She put on a concerned expression.

“With all due respect, I’m fifteen mam. And I have trained since I was six.” He replied in a serious tone. Serene’s eyes widened momentarily. She berated herself, everyone wore a mask. She also considered her was just boasting, but this was the most confident he’d ever carried himself.

She blurred out of existence. He looked panicked but a dense field of magic tightly surrounded him. She felt the pressure radiating from him. Instead of attacking he pat his head. “Well I apologize then. But you’re quite adorable!” She squealed.

“Eh. EH!?” He jumped out of his seat. Mountain curiously peeked around the corner. As Serene sat down she broke into giggles, then into full blown laughter. Button Mash did not expect this.

“Serene. Please don’t mess with the poor boy.” He cut in, revealing the pink undersized apron that looked like a bib.

“That’s my apron.” Serene flatly remarked, regaining her composure. “So how’s the cookies coming along?”

“Fine.” Mountain looked at the crestfallen earth pony. “Young one. You’re quite well trained, your aura confirms that. But Serene doubts your capacity in… espionage.” He reluctantly put it. “Why not the Royal Guard?” He curiously asked.

He was silent for a time. “It’s personal Sir.” He sighed sadly. Serene and Mountain shared a look and decided to drop the subject. “But I did come here for a purpose.” Button placed a briefcase on the table and opened it. A few binders, Mash picked three and passed it to Serene. “I looked up a possible lead, courtesy of Director Curiosity.”

She scanned through the file. “Braeburn?” She asked in confusion. “Former operations manager in a weapons manufacturing plant in Appleloosa. He was fired three months before his death.” Her brows furrowed. “He worked on the project?”

Button Mash nodded. “I don’t know. He’s dead.” Mountain grunted. Turning over to Serene he added, “Or is he?”

“So he was killed off. Or he’s hiding out there.” Serene concluded. “He could be the source of the leak. Or a loose end that was tied up in time.” She pondered. “Appleoosa is not my area. I assume that Curiosity has someone on it.”

Somepony.” Button corrected. “And yes. I also brought files on Applejack and Big Macintosh.”

“Applejack?” Mountain asked in irritation.

“I read her file a while back. Estranged from her family she was supposed to be the heir of Apple Corp. Her parents died in a freak ‘accident’. Currently a gold rank adventurer of Manticore Sting.” She sighed. “My Father had a run in with her one time. She almost got him with a homemade mini sentry.”

“She’s strong.” Mountain supplied. “Even without her toys.” He watched Serene for a few minutes before speaking up again. “What does she have to do with all this?”

“As you both probably know, she designed the original sentry. But this was years ago. Her file is just there for reference. I’ve included the various incidents her weapons were used.”

“So the basis for this government funded project was her own design?” Serene wondered about this. “It should be on the market. Yet I’ve never heard of any being produced. “She put aside the file and finished her milk. “Until this mission that is.”

“Well the reason why they commissioned the project… Is because they saw Applejack’s creations in action.” Button added nervously. “A year ago Applejack was hired to retrieve a noble. He was kidnapped by a griffon cartel at Baltimare.”

Button swallowed. “In the griffon city of Alexandria, the mob boss had the police force under his payroll… And Applejack managed to hold out and kill over three hundred SWAT units until the Shadow Bolts extracted them.” Mountain’s jaw dropped. Serene’s eyes glinted.

“Oh? That sounds interesting.” Serene eagerly noted. “But I don’t see…”

“Mam. This were griffonian specialized units. They even had ten Bulldozer Mechanical armors.” He waved his hooves in the air in disbelief.

“I’m familiar with the heavy specialized unit. The structural integrity of the face plate is a glaring issue. Under heavy sustained fire…”

“Still!” Button Mash insisted. “And these sentry units are even BETTER that those. Applejack made them out of SCRAP METAL. How much more-”

“Stop.” Serene put a paw up and Button froze. “Look. I’m well aware, and I will get to the bottom of this.” She sniffed the air. “Father do check on those cookies.” She politely asked, Mountain nodded and went back to the kitchen.

“I’m grateful for your hard work. But I’ve handled worse.” She stood up and grabbed the cartoon of milk, pouring herself a new glass.

“The last file is about…” Whatever Button was going to say was interrupted by Armando slamming the door open.

“Hey boss!” He cheerily greeted. “Oh and Agent Mash, maayong adlaw.” He greeted good day in his native language, he occasionally went back when he felt he couldn’t express how he felt in English. “Wow that smells good!” He scampered off to the kitchen.

Button was about to speak when Sunday and Quills entered. Quills was gingerly walking, her front hooves wrapped in bandages. Sunday looked more irritated than usual. “Sorry boss, we pulled out. They saw us coming.” She grumbled as she made her way to a sofa. She gave Button Mash a curious glance before lying down.

Sunday bowed to Serene before wordlessly entering the meeting room. Mountain and Armando argued in the kitchen.

“Wait.”

“But they smell sooooooooooo delicious.” Armando complained.

“There’s plenty.”

“One can’t- OW!”

“No. Wait.” Mountain scolded firmly.

Serene sighed. “And it was peaceful.” She wistfully commented. Button was staring at Quills. Serene grinned impishly as Button took a drink. “So do you think she’s hot?”

Serene was rewarded by Button once again choking on his drink. Quills got up with a start, hissing as she was reminded of her hooves.

“What!?” Both ponies exclaimed. Button sputtered and turned red.

“Serene, please stop tormenting ponies.” Mountain chided.

“Well I’m right.” Serene huffed, crossing her paws. “I can tell what he thinks of a young attractive mare such as yourself. Overpowering him. Smothering him between your thighs…”

Mountain and Armando looked on in amusement. Sunday walked out of the meeting room, smirking as he watched. Quills turned red too and Button turned a deeper shade of red. “I didn’t happen like that!” Quills screamed.

“Well I couldn’t fault him. Button is stronger than he looks. So I have a feeling he enjoys being in such situations.” Serene giggled. “And Quills… I’d say she likes to, dominate. You two would make a perfect match!” She squealed.

Armando broke into uncontrollable laughter. Mountain looked uncomfortable. Sunday was holding back his laughter. Button Mash grabbed his suitcase. “ThanksIgottagobyeI’mverybusy!” He rushed out of the apartment. Sunday was holding his stomach as he crouched, still suppressing his laughter.

“Bye-bye!” Serene happily dismissed.

“Serene what in Tartarus was that for?” Quills demanded.

“Look, now that the suit is gone we can discuss your findings.”

Everyone went silent at that.

Mountain chuckled and brought the freshly baked cookies into the meeting room. “So you did that to get rid of little Mash?” Armando asked carefully.

“In essence, yes.” Serene beamed. “I wanted to get rid of him for now. That seemed like the best way.” She replied as if it made perfect sense.

Quills silently shook for a bit. “Boss. I’m going to drink some water. I’ll follow.” Quills quietly said.

“You heard the boss let’s go.” Mountain stomped his hooves. As all of them – sans Quills - took seats at the table. They could hear a hissing sound from the kitchen. Like something really hot hit water. Then a muffled scream. Quills walked in, partially soaked and steam radiating off her.

Serene told them to wait for Lightning Dust and Pepper at least half an hour, if not they would start the meeting. Armando promptly stuffed his mouth with cookies, much to Mountain’s chagrin. Fifteen minutes later a very embarrassed Pepper came in, his arms and legs bandaged. LD looked somewhere between nervous and amused.

“Okay. What did you do?” Mountain asked as the two took a seat.

“Why you think Pepper’s fault?” Pepper snapped.

“A lead.” Mountain simply replied, reminding him on what he told Serene yesterday.

“Pepper tracked down remaining dealers, but they got away.” Pepper looked down in shame.

Mountain sighed heavily, rubbing the bridge of his muzzle. “Are you hurt badly?” Serene asked in concern.

“Minor injuries. Pepper can fight-“

“Serene says Pepper not fight. Pepper clean.” Serene joked. “All jokes aside you are in trouble. So I’ll have you take care of Lightning’s apartment in the meantime.” She waved her paw to a stack of boxes. “You’ll also sit down and go through all of these reports to find leads on the other three missions.”

“But-“

“I made myself clear Tuesday. Because of your little stunt the remaining salt dealers will proceed with outmost caution. Not to mention you could have gotten yourself killed.” She scolded. She thought for a moment on how to get through him. “Do you see me as your alpha?”

“Yes.”

“And our team is like a pack.”

“Peppers agrees.”

“We are a team. We fill up various roles, complement each other with our unique skillsets and most importantly we have each other’s backs. “Pepper nodded. “You need to think harder on how your actions affect all of us.”

Pepper frowned thoughtfully. “Pepper understands. Pepper will be more careful from now on.”

Serene smiled, satisfied by his response. “Good. But you’re still being punished until we solve two cases.” Pepper nodded and groaned. “So how’s that meeting Monday?”

“Set for tomorrow.” He simply replied.

“Good.” She then turned to Quills and Sunday. “So what happened, Sunday and Thursday?”

“Sunday tried to spy on them using magic but it backfired. We decided to back out, it would be too dangerous to chase them without enough info” Quills responded. “We do know however, they’re heading for Fillydelpia. Should we ambush them on the way?”

“No. I need all of you in the city. Plus they might head here instead of their HQ.” She ordered. “Armando, any leads?” She asked, turning to the monkey. Everyone stared at the monkey, who was STILL stuffing his mouth. He swallowed and cleared his throat.

“An address for a potential voodoo shaman. And a lead for the sentry problem.”

“Continue.”

“A friend of mine delivered large amounts of lead and iron to a unicorn named Quick Fix. Off the books Boss. Delivered at Manehattan Scrapyard.” Armando frowned. “I tried to look into other places this Quick Fix could get the materials but no luck. But seeing that he also loaned from equipment he might be using the scrapyard as a base to produce the sentries.”

“We don’t even know that!” Lightning piped up.

“That’s why it’s a lead. Fragments scattered in the wind. Sometimes we follow them and we get disappointed. They all lead somewhere, but not all the time to what we seek. We chase after these fragments to realize the truth.”

“Leads are a hit or miss.” Mountain summarized at LD’s blank look.

“Ah. I get it.”

Sunday growled everyone except Serene and him laughed. Serene waved around her ribbons and everyone calmed down. “I will need Wednesday and Thursday at the Scrapyard tonight. In the morning, Sunday and Monday. You will observe. I’ll leave it up to your judgment on how to proceed.”

They nodded in agreement…except for LD. “Wait boss! How about me?”

“You’re my security detail for tomorrow. I’m heading to Apple Corp for some more information.” LD looked bored so Serene added with a smirk, “And new gear. Something a little… Excessive.” LD perked up at the mention of new gear. “We get to test the weapons of course. I hear big Macintosh has some weapons the government ordered destroyed, due to being too dangerous.”

Lightning Dust let out a whoop and did a few loops in the air. “NOW you’re speaking my language boss.” Mountain glanced at LD then at her chair. She looked sheepish and returned to her seat.

“Well if there aren’t any other concerns. I adjourn this meeting.” Serene declared.

******

Somewhere in the scrapyard Quick Fix was holed up. The white unicorn was slumped over a work bench, his white coat soaked with sweat. He rubbed the diminished crown of his balding mane and cursed his luck.

Making these talismans himself were hard, he made just about ten of them so far. Well he had too, he was the one who could create the complex spell matrices even without the blueprints. He had the blueprints pertaining the enchantments destroyed, without them the sentry would be a lot less powerful.

He didn’t want to be expendable after all.

The only buyer that could set him for life was unfortunately was Queen Celestia. Everypony knew Sombra was fighting a losing war, he’d chip in and he’d be relatively safe from her wrath. He knew his survival depended on what he knew, and what she didn’t.

Of course he was offered a position by the Testament of Progress, leader of Celestia’s tech division. He would accept after this little test of his went well. He’d want to be far away in the off chance everything blew up in his face.

He walked out and wiped himself with a towel. He scowled at the giant capsule filled with a green gas, he could barely make out a silhouette of a chained mare. He shuddered as he thought about what experiments were performed on her. Her partner however looked normal and talked normal. That didn’t mean he was normal. His stomach ached and his vision blurred. If the circumstances were different he wouldn’t help that tyrant.

Oddly enough a crow was perched on the capsule. Quick Fix gathered himself before shooing the crow with his hoof. “Go along now, git!” He angrily commanded. The bird simply took a few steps forward and tilted its head. Quick Fix gritted his teeth and growled. “Stupid bird…” He muttered as he headed back to his temporary workshop.

The bird threw its head back and yelled. “That’s right imma buuuuuuuuuuuuurd beyetch.” Silver screamed like a little filly – he would vehemently deny he screamed like that – and fell down. He proceeded to crawl away in terror. “Ghost, leave now. This is important, I will give you your task later.” The once whiny and nasal voice was replaced by a gravely one.

Silver paused and turned to look at the bird. “Quick Fix. It seems that you are quite adept at what you do. It almost makes up for your… undesirable qualities.” The crow condescendingly lifted its head, looking down at the sweaty stallion. “I look forward to your test run. Perhaps you could open up many opportunities.

Silver continued to gape at the talking crow. “Ah, pardon me. I am the Greater Ideal Grisha, under the Testament of Eternity. I only wished to see what sort of mind could invent such intricate spellcraft.

Silver frowned, he was working for Progress. “You’re not my boss. I have dealings with only my client.” He stood up and stood stiffly.

I am Her hoof, I carry Her will. I would be careful with my tongue if I were you.

Silver thought about it, he realized it would hurt his chances if he disrespected her men. “Apologies.” He bowed.

The crow studied him for a moment. The before shaking its head. “Will everything be ready by tomorrow?

“Uhhh… Yes sir. Ten models will be ready for testing tomorrow. The twenty units in a month’s time.” He promptly replied.

Excellent. Boiler and Rusty shall acquire your… volunteers as Progress would put it.” He finished in a disgusted tone.

“Volunteers?”

Of course. You have caught the eye of the Crimson Warlord. She has begun to stalk her prey. You.” Silver paled at this. He’d kept a low profile for months. He wondered how she found him. “She is patient. But if her pack is under attack she will hunt personally. Progress wishes to see how your handiwork would fare.

Progress commends your work. But he needs live test results. Either way you will receive your commission and your place among his little group of… Researchers.” Eternity said the last word with a good amount of distaste. Quick Fix was still panicking at the thought of Sombra’s guard dog attacking. Eternity sighed as the Stallion began to pace back and forth.

Worry not, Progresses’ Ideals will protect you. He expects great things of you, do not disappoint.” He stated as a fact. Seeing that the pony was still in that state he released his grip on the crow and it flew off.