• Published 20th Feb 2020
  • 853 Views, 18 Comments

Distant Memories - Antiharmonic



Sunset Shimmer is reunited with the love of her life from so long ago.

  • ...
2
 18
 853

Prologue

"Sunset dear, hurry up, you don't want to be late!" Sunset's mother called from downstairs.

“I’ll be down in a minute!” Sunset replied. She set her copy of “Ancient Equestrian Magic: Volume 3” down on her nightstand.

As Sunset walked downstairs she thought about how silly all of this was. Her mother was taking her to the Canterlot Formal, which was some silly dance for the students of the various canterlot schools to take part in.

As Sunset arrived downstairs, her mother couldn’t help but notice something was missing.

“Sunset, are you not going to be wearing anything formal to the dance? You never know who you might meet while you’re there,” her mother asked gently.

“I don’t plan on meeting anyone, mom, it was your idea for me to go to this stupid dance anyway,” sunset said slightly annoyed.

“Okay, well let’s get going then, so we’re not late,” Sunset’s mother said with a slight sadness in her tone. She really wanted Sunset to take this dance seriously. Her daughter almost never goes anywhere outside of her house and school, and She hoped this dance would help Sunset come out of her shell a bit.

Sunset was quiet on her way to the dance, she was busy lost in her thoughts. She was trying to think of spells that would revolutionize magic. If she could figure out even a single spell to change the way magic was thought of entirely, she knew Celestia would see that she is worthy of being a princess.

Sunset Shimmer was Princess Celestia’s star pupil. She excelled at advanced magic techniques, she was the top of her class in every subject, and on top of that she was well versed in nearly every aspect of spellwriting. She was able to hold these tremendous titles, because she would study constantly, anytime she had any free time. Sunset was so studious, because she knew that eventually it would all pay off. She would eventually become the princess of magic, she just needed a breakthrough.

Sunset Meadow on the other hoof, was worried about her daughter. Although she had always told her daughter that she needs to do well in school, she didn’t ever dream that Sunset would take her words this seriously. She was proud that her daughter did well in school, but she felt her daughter needed to get out and socialize more. This dance was the perfect opportunity for Sunset to have some fun, and Sunset Meadow was not about to let her daughter throw that opportunity away.

The walk was not very far, only a few blocks away from Sunset’s urban home in the heart of Canterlot. When the pair finally arrived at the dance they looked up to see the large sign that was hanging from two flagpoles a few meters above their heads.

Welcome to the 10th Annual Canterlot Formal

This dance is to commemorate the work that everyone has done in the past year.

Please find your school sign in sheet and enjoy the dance!

-Princess Celestia

As the two mares headed into the entrance, they noticed the line split into four distinct lines, one for each school. The first line was for Canterlot High School, followed by The Agricultural Institute of Canterlot, Canterlot Classical Academy, and finally Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. Sunset and her mother made their way through the fourth line and got Sunset signed in.

“I’ll pick you up in a few hours dear, you have fun!” Sunset Meadow told her daughter.

“Ok mom, I’ll be waiting on that bench in the corner when you get,” Sunset replied uninterested.

“Please do try to have a little fun, sweetie,” Sunset’s mother said warmly.

“I’ll try,” was the only response she received.

Sunset then made her way over to the very bench she had mentioned. She did not plan on doing anything else while she was here so she decided to try to come up with that game-changing spell she needed to prove to Celestia she was princess worthy. Of course it was much harder to come up with ideas for a spell when you don’t have anything to write down your progress in, which was something Sunset noticed early on. This did not deter her however and she was determined to come up with something, and she would be sure to log everything she could remember as soon as she got home. As she was contemplating how a new concept of magic would even work, a magenta mare with a pink mane had appeared in front of her.

“Hey, I’ve noticed you’ve been sitting here alone for a long time, do you wanna come dance with me?” The mare asked.

Sunset blinked. “Oh um, no thank you,” She replied

“You’re supposed to be having fun, sitting in the corner by yourself doesn’t seem like fun to me,” the magenta mare said caringly. “Just come on, it’ll be fun!” The mare said with a smile.

Sunset replied, with a tinge of annoyance in her voice “I don’t even know how to dance, why don’t you go find someone else.”

“But you’re the only one alone here, and dancing is easy, you couldn’t mess it up if you tried!” the magenta mare replied, still smiling.

“Ugh, fine, one dance!” Sunset reluctantly agreed.

The two ponies made their way to the dance floor, a pop song was blaring through the speakers. The DJ was a grey stallion with a dark mane and dark sunglasses. While they walked sunset noticed the mare was wearing magenta legwarmers, some colored bracelets, a checkered bandana, and blue lighting bolt earrings. As they approached the dance floor, the magenta pony spoke up. “My name is Cheerilee, by the way, how about you”

“Sunset Shimmer,” Sunset replied.

“Do you go to Canterlot High School?” Asked Cheerilee

“No, I go to Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns,” Sunset responded.

“Wow! You must be a really smart pony then, huh!” Cheerilee Said excitedly.

“I guess you could say that,” Sunset replied proudly.

Cheerilee then pulled Sunset into the middle of the dance floor exclaiming “We’re here, now let’s get moving!” Cheerilee started moving somewhat erratically, but somehow managed to keep her movements in harmony with the rhythm of the song. Sunset was reluctant at first but soon joined in as well.

This actually is kind of fun. Sunset thought to herself. The time seemed to fly by quickly while they we’re on the dancefloor, and they were taken by shock when the DJ’s voice came through the speakers instead of a song.

“This is your DJ Neon Lights Speaking, and I wanted to let you know that the dance will be ending soon, but we have one more song left before the night ends,” the words of the DJ echoed through the speakers.

Suddenly the lights dim and the last song is quite a bit slower than the others. Cheerilee then turned to Sunset “Wanna have a slow dance?” She asked calmly

Slightly taken aback Sunset replied, “Uh…Sure.” Cheerilee came closer and draped a hoof over Sunset’s shoulders, prompting her to do the same. Both mares wore a slight blush now, but they were enjoying the moment.

As the song came to a close Cheerilee pulled away from Sunset,only to immediately lean in and kiss her. Sunset was shocked, but soon melted into the kiss with her. As they pulled away the only thing Sunset could say was “Wow.”

Sunset walked out of the building with Cheerilee and saw her mom waiting.

“Did you have fun, sweetie?” Sunset Meadow asked her daughter.

“Yes, I think I’d like to hang out with Cheerilee here more often!” Sunset replied

“Really, that sounds great,” Cheerilee said slightly blushing.

“I’m glad you’re finally talking to someone,” Sunset Meadow told her daughter.

Sunset then gave Cheerilee her address, and told her to come see her when they didn’t have school.

“Alright can’t wait, but I gotta go my mom’s waiting for me over there, see you soon Sunset,” Cheerilee responded.

Sunset meadow was relieved that her daughter had finally started talking to someone that wasn’t a teacher or her mother. Sunset shimmer couldn’t believe she had just had her first kiss. As she walked home with her mother, she wondered what this would mean for her future.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed the prologue, the first chapter should be up soon!
There will be a bit of a time jump during the next chapter so be prepared.

Have a great day!