• Published 23rd Jan 2020
  • 1,115 Views, 22 Comments

Game Night - Crimson_Moon



In which Anonymous is forced to explain how to play Magic: the Gathering to Twilight and her friends.

  • ...
3
 22
 1,115

20% Bluer

Your name is Anonymous...

And you've been pissed off at a certain Skittles colored Pegasus asking you what Magic is. You being, well, you, always tell her to bother Twilight about anything magic related. In other words:

"Buzz off, Rainbow Bright! Don't you have something else better to do?!" Not a single day has gone by and you've been pissed off at the growing trend of ponies barging into your house unannounced and annoying you.

"Ugh, no! Not Magic magic, but the card game!" She clarified.

Your eyes opened as wide as dinner plates. "No! No no no no no! It's bad enough one of you is playing it, I don't need two ponies sullying my afternoon! Now for the last time-" you grabbed her tail and whipped that horse out of your front door faster than you can say "10 seconds flat."

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" You slammed the door. It was times like these you'd break open a bottle of cider, and it just so happens that Applejack gave you a fresh bottle of the stuff this morning. Opening your fridge, you smile and reach for the container of glorious happy juice, only to find the spot was empty.

You shut the door. Clearly you were hallucinating. The cider's there, you know it is! Steeling yourself, you open the door one more time...

Only to then wail out in pain. Your beer had been pilfered! Stolen! Taken in the name of evil! Suddenly a rapping came on your window. Slowly turning your head, you spotted what was making the noise, as well as what said noise maker had in her evil blue hooves:

Your bottle of Apple Hooch. You Reluctantly open the kitchen window to let Rainbow back into your home. "That's my bottle of cider, you demonic horse, so you better give it back!" You swiped at her, only for her to speed above and behind you, far out of reach.

"This cider's mine, Anon!" She grinned evilly. "I found it outside your house, and was gonna return it, buuuut on the other hand-" the Pegasus popped open the cork.

"Woah, woah, take it easy! Let's not do anything rash!"

"Rash? Ha! As if! I was just gonna drink it, but if you insist-" slowly, she tipped the open container over the sink, it's golden liquids threatening to pour out.

More and more you see the nectar of the gods pooling up at the end. Finally, you cave. "Alright fine! One game of Magic and that's it. Just leave the poor cider out of it. It didn't do anything wrong..."


If you thought explaining Magic: the Gathering was difficult before, you definitely did now. Every five seconds, that walking color gradient would ask the same question you thought you answered already, but then again this was Rainbow you were talking about. If it had more than 3 steps, it was too much for her to pay attention. Unfortunately, Magic had many steps. "So, any questions?" You dreadfully asked again. "And no, you can't use 'all the colors'." You stated monotonously, shooting down her raised hoof as soon as you could.

"But why not?" She pouted.

You gritted your teeth so hard you could almost hear them shatter. "Because, if you do that, then you're just asking for your ass to get beat! Hell, even I can't run decks like that, and my people invented it!" You exclaimed.

"Well, can I try your deck then?" She pointed to the pile of Dimir you threw together for this session. You found the best way to teach players of Rainbow's caliber is to beat them senseless from the get-go. It's a strategy game, not tic-tac-toe, and if she thought anything else, she was sorely mistaken. You sighed, looking at the several boxes laid out and open on your coffee table.

"Alright, I'll make you a deal. You kick my butt this session, then I'll think about letting you make a rainbow deck." She hopped up and did a quick loop in joy, before sitting back down.

"Yes! You're so going down!" She beamed, looking down at the same boxes of cards you were staring at before realizing what you were as well. "So, uh, what colors can I play? Heh heh."

You facepalmed. "Well, what do you want to do with your deck Rainbow? And I swear if you say 'win', so help me I'll throat punch you with NO REGRETS!"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I guess do a lot of damage."

"Red." Was all you said, before you both got started building. You told her how most people played red, but you knew it was pointless by the way her smug grin was taunting you. She's got this, that's what that look told you.

Still, she did surprisingly ask for your opinion on some cards she wanted to put into it. The better half of an hour passed and you were both ready to begin. "You ready, Rainbow?" You ask.

The mare guffawed. "Oh please! I was born ready! This game will be over in ten seconds flat!"


More than ten seconds later...


It was turn three, Rainbow had an Artifact and a few Goblins on the field that were buffed from it. All in all, not scary as individuals, except there were a few there that really liked to bring out more, like the Tin Street Kingpin himself, and you wanted to shut that down as quick as you could. The thing about goblins is they don't like it when you call them puny; you found that out the hard way after losing to one too many Goblin decks.

Your board state was in far worse shape, in terms of creatures, but you had Dimir, so that wasn't much of a concern. What was a concern however, was the lack of things to help with one of the deck's most powerful plays. Dimir was a fickle mistress when it came to structures, but you found a good combo. It's just a matter of getting the right play. She still had red open, and was surprisingly good about that, versus Twilight.

"Give up yet?" She smirked, throwing down another high cost worm to help support her goblin army. There it was! She was tapped out, now's your chance! You waited for an end to her turn, watching her hit for 10 damage. Ouch. Luckily your black cards had lifelink before she totalled them last turn.

Her inflated ego is probably going to take an intense hit, but it'll win you the game if you can play it right. Drawing your next card, you look at it to find- yes! That'll do nicely! "Alright Rainbow. I've been nice up to this point, but now it's time to show you why this ain't a kid's game." You smiled devishly, causing her to flinch. You dug up a grave with the creature you just got, bringing out a rather powerful sorcery that let you get the one card you needed to win: Razaketh's Rite. It was time to raise the realms of the dark to serve you.

Your graveyard and her graveyard now gave you the upper hand, and since a few of your creatures from earlier had an ability to give you life while killing her, you let all 10 cards do the damage, getting her low enough for a small blow to finish her off.

"What was it you said earlier? Oh yeah..." You smirked. "Give up yet?"


The flipped table and thoroughly pissed off rainbow trail zipping out your house told you all you needed to know.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Mallory S Nocturne for choosing the deck themes in this chapter!

Same rules as before: If you get the cards right(aside from the obviously named Razaketh's Rite lol) I'll give you a sticker! And by sticker, I mean I'll let you choose the next chapter's deck themes;)

Fair warning, next chapter is Two Headed Giant so get those gears turning if you win my little prize ;)