• Published 30th Jan 2020
  • 726 Views, 8 Comments

The Vigil - Visiden Visidane



The Thestrals, from the banishment of Luna to her return.

  • ...
2
 8
 726

The Era of Struggle (50 V)

Independence. Such a lofty, idealistic term. The thestrals had never considered it in the past. They had always seen themselves as part of Equestria, its vibrant night scene and the servants of Princess Luna. They were subservient true, perhaps more so than the rest of Equestria, for they associated themselves so strongly with the night. Once in a while, a thought or two might cross the mind of some thestral as they surveyed the splendor of Mount Nocturnal. What would it be like to be a separate kingdom of night? A land of dark and serenity. What a fanciful thought.

The reality of it proved far less so. The thestrals did gain their independence, though one would argue that it was foisted upon them by a suspicious and hostile Equestria and their own sense of loyalty. There was no time to spare for lofty sentiments. First, there was the slow rebuilding after the siege. What had taken less than a year to destroy took many to restore, especially without Equestrian aid. Thestrals were not without skill in building and repairing, but their finest works were built with earth pony stone working and unicorn gem shaping. Without either, it was slow and taxing labor that replaced the rubble with less than ideal craftsponyship.

Equestrian aid hardly proved forthcoming. As Solar Flare had said, the thestrals were now an independent and suspect nation with which other nations, not just Equestria, were reluctant to trade with. The flow of resources turned into a trickle. The thestrals were reluctant to mine Mount Nocturnal for building stone without earth pony rock-farming techniques nor could they easily turn to the forests that grew on the slopes for lumber without earth pony rapid tree growing techniques. They were forced to rely on nature taking its course, a very slow process indeed.

Food was also a problem. Most thestrals supplemented their insectivorous diet with fruits and vegetables. Mount Nocturnal had limited sources of both. The grub farms were stretched to the limit soon enough. Too much time was spent scrounging up the next meal rather than rebuilding. House roaches, once seen as coarse fare, were now open game. The fish that swam in Mount Nocturnal’s underground streams were nearly hunted to extinction.

Many among the thestrals began to consider that this independence was a slow choking of their race instead. Until new trade deals could be arranged, the thestrals could very well be doomed to starve in the rubble of their own city.

It was not out of the blue, then, when more desperate measures were suggested. If Mount Nocturnal’s neighbors refused to trade from their plenty, the thestrals would have to resort to less than honorable means.

Onyx Wing, long past his retirement but still acting as the leader of this fledgling independent nation, shot down every proposal of banditry, raiding, and other unsavory means to procure additional resources. As the years went by, however, less and less thestrals were inclined to follow him unquestioningly. Even among his sons.

“I’m going, father,” Arc said without so much as looking back. “My friends and I have had some successful pickings. Equestria has plenty of goods. They won’t miss a wagon or two. Look at now we’re treated in the city! We’re heroes!”

Onyx Arc had always been the idealistic one among his brothers. Perhaps, it was because he was the youngest. His older brothers were in the Night Guard already. He wasn’t. He didn’t even try to join, stating that he hated being ordered around.

“You are bandits,” Onyx replied. “It’s true that you have brought some relief to—“

“That’s all that matters, father,” Arc shot back. “We’re helping others while you sit around your office pushing papers!”

Onyx grabbed a hold of Arc’s shoulder and spun him around. “You have no idea what you and your friends are playing with,” he said, his tone that of a stern captain. “Your supplies won’t count for much when you bring down Equestria upon us.”

Arc merely smirked and pulled away. “All right, Old Guard,” he said mockingly before trotting away.


The Night Guard were spread out thinly enough just keeping opportunists from trespassing into Mount Nocturnal. What little he could spare, Onyx sent out to put a stop to the banditry. It was a difficult task even if he did have enough bodies to throw at it. It was true that many thestrals saw Arc and his friends as heroes, including some of the guards. They always managed to slip out unnoticed, only to come back with bags of food and other supplies. Each time, there was always a bit more. Without a doubt, every success emboldened Arc and his gang.

One day, however, no triumphant entry came for Arc and his friends. Instead, it was only Arc, limping and bleeding, with one wing hanging in tatters by his side, who came back to Mount Nocturnal. He had no sacks of loot to share this time, only a tale of horror.

“They ambushed us on our way back from a score!” Arc explained to Onyx and the other captains as a doctor patched him up. “The Day Guard killed the others and I was the only one who escape!”

“These are dire news,” Soft Step said. “We cannot survive an attack from Equestria.”

“Bandits arise in every nation, even Equestria,” Star Mail said. “Surely, we thestrals as a whole should not be punished because a small portion of us committed a crime?”

“We were happy to take their loot,” Soft Step replied. “Even if they do not attack at once, Equestria will demand restitution. Captain Onyx, they might ask for the surviving culprit.”

“I know,” Onyx said. He closed his eyes in deep thought. He had feared this. All he was waiting for now was the arrival of the Day Guard. The weight of this fledgling nation’s fate bore down heavily on his shoulders.

Arc stared at him, eyes wide. “You wouldn’t, would you? I barely escaped with my life!”

“I do not want my son killed,” Onyx replied. “That’s why I begged him several times to not do what he did.”


It only took a day for the Day Guard to arrive. That was to be expected. Unexpected, however, was the division that showed up before Onyx. Flame Soul and a small cadre of the Sons of Light faced off with the gathered Night Guard captains and their escorts. Since the last mayor died, no mayor had been elected. The thestrals agreed among themselves that their new nation shall be led by the three captains.

For fifty years, the Night and Day Guard had not needed to confront each other. Not since the end of Mount Nocturnal’s siege. Onyx took great pride in maintaining that record and his son just shattered it.

“You’re looking well, Captain Onyx Wing,” Flame Soul said.

“Speak for yourself, Captain Flame Soul,” Onyx replied. “You don’t look a day older than you did fifty years ago.”

It was true. Not a single wrinkle marred Flame Soul’s face and not a single grey strand could be seen in his golden mane and beard. In comparison, five decades of trying to hold this mountain together showed on Onyx’s face with every crack and wrinkle, with the bags under his eyes and the greys all along his mane.

“The sun’s blessing has its benefits,” Flame Soul said. “I must get straight to the point, Captain Onyx Wing. We’ve engaged a band of thestral bandits that has been bedevilling our merchants and other travelers. We captured those who surrendered and obliged the ones who fought to the death. We tracked the one who escaped us here and interrogation of his friends has revealed who he is.”

“This doesn’t seem like something the Sons of Light should be taking care of,” Soft Step spoke up. “A band of thestral bandits couldn’t possibly be a threat to Princess Celestia.”

There was no immediate response. For a quiet, tense moment, Flame Soul looked them over, sizing them up and determining if they were playing games. The Sons of Light were few and surrounded in thestral territory, but they stood tall and proud, all but trumpeting out loud that they would make all of Mount Nocturnal pay dearly for any treachery. Onyx believed it as well.

“It seems that you are genuinely unaware,” Flame Soul said. “These bandits attacked a carriage bearing Princess Celestia’s personal student. They tried to rob her and her escorts, but she panicked and resisted so they got violent. The student survived, but only after witnessing the murder of her escorts and carriage driver. You must understand the sort of damage this will do to a filly.” Flame Soul’s eyes narrowed. “A filly who happens to be like a daughter to Her Highness. The Sons of Light will not overlook this transgression.”

A dark cloud all but descended on the gathered Night Guard captains. Onyx cursed inwardly. He knew it was bad and it was going to be bad, but not to this extent.

“We ask that you turn in Onyx Arc to us,” Flame Soul went on. “As the leader of this band, he must face judgment.”

“The boy is my son, Flame Soul,” Onyx Wing said softly.

“I will do everything in my power to, at least, spare his life,” Flame Soul said. “I am sorry it has to be this way, Onyx.”

Onyx grit his teeth, unable to match gazes with Flame Soul. He had failed as a father for sure, just as he had failed as a husband all those years ago. If he had anything at all now, it would be his duty to Mount Nocturnal. “Bring Onyx Arc here,” he finally ordered. His escorts were quick to respond.

It only took a few minutes for a rush of armored hooves to bring everypony’s attention to the newcomer. Onyx Arc stared at Flame Soul as if he was looking at a waking nightmare. He backed away, only to bump into Onyx Wing’s escorts. “Father,” he said. “What’s going on? Why are they here?”

Flame Soul looked to Onyx Wing. For his part, Onyx tried to give the word, but his throat seized up and his stomach rebelled. He could only give a curt nod.

“Take the colt,” Flame Soul ordered. The two sons of light had Onyx Arc in their hooves in an instant, dragging him away and back to Equestria. No thestral blocked their path. “I am sorry, Onyx,” Flame Soul said, before turning away as well.

“Father!” Onyx Arc screamed from a distance. “How could you do this? How could you give me up so easily? Some father you are!”

Onyx turned away, pushing past the other captains and retreating to his office.