• Published 30th Jan 2020
  • 723 Views, 8 Comments

The Vigil - Visiden Visidane



The Thestrals, from the banishment of Luna to her return.

  • ...
2
 8
 723

The Era of Prosperity (300 V)

“The time for Princess Luna’s return is nigh!” Star Favor cried out. Before him, standing in Mount Nocturnal’s main plaza, was a huge crowd of thestrals, listening to his speech with mixed reactions. Many stood enthralled, following his words closely and nodding at each point. Plenty were dismissive, however, and listened with raised eyebrows and disapproving glowers. “For too long we have passively waited, content with growing fat and lazy now that our nation has raised itself from its ruin! Did the prophecy not state that the stars will aid in Princess Luna’s escape? Behold!” Star Favor turned gestured to his flank, where a cutie mark depicting a starry night lay. “I have received visions from our waiting princess! I am ‘the stars’ prophesied!”

“That’s the biggest cock and bull story I have ever heard!” someone from the crowd shouted back. “You’re just some thestral like the rest of us, putting on airs because of your cutie mark!”

“He makes a good point, though!” someone else said. “It’s been centuries since we thestrals left Equestria to wait for Princess Luna. Maybe we should be actually doing something instead of just waiting!”

Several in the crowd nodded and murmured among themselves. Star Favor stamped a hoof and reared up for effect “Exactly!” he said. “How can we call ourselves her loyal subjects while doing nothing for her? Our so-called leaders sit in their offices and think of nothing besides economics, security, and diplomacy. Indeed, we have been building Mount Nocturnal to even greater heights than we managed in the past. Our nation has been accepted by our neighbors, we are a respected fighting force, and rare is the thestral who is destitute. But what are all these accomplishments in the face of our apathy? Are they not monuments to our selfishness? Not a single thought spared for the plight of our princess! Why? Because so long as she has not returned, the three captains can pretend to rule over us! They don’t want to give up their power so they gave up on Princess Luna instead!”

The murmurs took a louder, more indignant tone. The thestral who had shouted against Star Favor tried to get a word in, but was shouted down and shoved away. He was forced to flee the scene along with several thestrals.

“I say we leave this ‘safe’ and ‘prosperous’ city that has dulled our sense of duty,” Star Favor said. “We will form a commune closer to Equestria, living a rugged life out in the wilderness where we will always be sharp and ready. From there, we will aid in our princess’s return!”

Shouts of agreement from the crowd, particularly the younger ones among them.

“Stop this!”

A cadre of the Night Guard had arrived on the scene. They were led by the captain of the Royal Shadows himself, Cut Onyx. “What you are proposing his foolish and dangerous,” he said. He turned his gaze upon the rest of the crowd. “Return to your homes. It is not for us to rush into deciding the fate of our princess with our hooves! Think of what you’re about to do!”

“Your call to inaction is proof of Mount Nocturnal’s rot!” Star Favor cried out. “The Royal Shadows were supposed to be the most faithful of Princess Luna’s guards, but you have not only failed, you have given up. Rise up, thestrals! Our princess waits for our help!”

More of the Night Guard arrived along with the other two captains. Cut Onyx took a step forward, eyes narrow and threatening. “You will stand down, Star Favor.”

Star Favor merely smirked at this development, turning his attention back to the crowd. “I will not waste precious lives on the indolent Night Guard,” he proclaimed. “They can’t stop those of us who want to leave unless they wish to finally expose the tyrants they have become!”

The crowd did disperse, but Cut Onyx already understood that this was far from over. Star Favor had been at this for a while now. How sincere he was in his belief that he was “the stars” meant to aid Princess Luna was hard to determine. His persistence, seeming conviction, and some measure of insidious charm held many at sway nonetheless. There were many ponies, particularly the next generation, who were growing more dissatisfied with the direction Mount Nocturnal took. They wanted something to hold on to, the sort of faith the old Night Guard had in Princess Luna. They did not understand the blood, sweat and tears it took to bring Mount Nocturnal and the thestrals from the brink. They saw no triumph in finally getting earth pony laborers and farmers to work for Mount Nocturnal at last. As far as they were concerned, a nation with wealth, food, and security was all too mundane without the magic and majesty of Princess Luna.

Cut Onyx wasn’t quite sure what to do with them. True, it was not for the Night Guard to hold them prisoner in this city like tyrants would. They were free to leave and form this commune that Star Favor insisted on. Perhaps, that would be the only way to teach them. The only concern was that Star Favor might lead them in a foolish assault on Equestria. The last thing this growing nation needed was more tension with the realm of the Princess of the Sun.


In the span of a couple of weeks, Cut Onyx did watch as Star Favor led his followers out of Mount Nocturnal to begin their quest to bring back Princess Luna. It was a blow to Mount Nocturnal, of course. Many of these thestrals were young and healthy, idealistic maybe, but clearly enthusiastic and willing to work.

Cut Onyx did what he could do. He and the other captains met with the leaders of the Day Guard, even Princess Celestia herself, explaining the situation as best they could. To their relief, Equestria was understanding at least and promised to keep an eye out with an open mind. The Night Guard had agents keep a close eye on Star Favor’s group at a distance. Nothing too overt lest Star Favor and his followers decide they were being persecuted.

Star Favor’s group built a large camp for themselves by the slopes of Mount Nocturnal, as close to Equestria’s border as possible without provoking the Day Guard. Onyx Cut imagined that such a prospect alone would have weeded out the soft-hearted among them. They would be out in the sun with only the canvas of tents or some makeshift roof to protect them. A thestral needed a solid roof of stone and the coolness of a cave or a building at least. Their eyes were not meant to bear such radiance. They would start to puff up and weep after a while before scarring and blindness set in. Even their skin was not meant to be battered by sunlight for too long. In a matter of hours, they would start to blister and char. A thestral exposed to a full day, from morning to afternoon, without any sort of protection, would burn to death.

A mere week passed before the first defectors from Star Favor’s group shamefacedly returned to Mount Nocturnal. They told of unpaid, back-breaking labor just to keep the camp running, of struggling to find food, of the agony of trying to sleep in their shelters with the sun out, and of having to fight off wandering bears and other unpleasant creatures. Cut Onyx allowed them to reunite with their families without issue, a bit glad that these thestral youth, at least, has a better understanding of what it took for their ancestors to survive the siege of Mount Nocturnal and to slowly build something out of the rubble and separation from Equestria. Maybe now, the mundanity of daily maintenance of the city wouldn’t seem so unappealing, with the presence of Princess Luna or none.

A couple more weeks along with an increasing number of defections brought more troubling news. Star Favor didn’t seem particularly motivated to enact any sort of plan to save Princess Luna. He was more concerned with lording over the new fiefdom that he had just carved out for himself. Perhaps, he himself had underestimated what it took to establish even a small settlement. When the latest group of thestrals begged to go home, it took a while before he consented.

After another week, it was escapees that made their way back to Mount Nocturnal, with horrible stories of Star Favor and his trusted thestrals arming themselves and all but imprisoning those who remained. A visibly unhinged Star Favor ranted and raved almost daily on the forces arrayed before them, and that Princess Luna’s prison lay past the veil between life and death. As such, there was only one way to reach her.

At this, Cut Onyx had heard enough. He had a large group of the Night Guard assembled then headed out to put an end to Star Favor’s ill fated “quest”.

The Night Guard arrived a few hours before midnight, armed to the teeth should worse come to worse. They surrounded the camp and posted sentries to prevent escape before flying in. They met no resistance. The smaller tents and makeshift houses were empty. That left the large wooden building that overlooked the whole camp, likely Star Favor’s home and the gathering place for meetings.

Still, only silence greeted Cut Onyx and his Night Guard; silence and a bitter smell in the air. They made their way to the main gathering hall, where they found Star Favor and the rest of his followers at last.

A few dozen thestrals, the remains of Star Favor’s previously large following, lay unmoving on the floor. Their eyes were closed, as if they were only dreaming, but their chests were motionless. Star Favor himself lay across the podium facing the hall, as lifeless as all the rest. Small cups lay scattered on the floor, some having spilled the remains of some strange, foul-smelling liquid.

Eyes grim and nose wrinkled, Cut Onyx signaled for the rest of the Guard to begin cleaning up.

So much for the return of Princess Luna.