• Published 11th Dec 2019
  • 2,963 Views, 67 Comments

The Farmer & The Mermaid - TheOneAJ



What do you get when a human Applejack finds a mermaid Rarity?

  • ...
14
 67
 2,963

Act 1 Chapter VII

The door to the Apple family homestead creaked open. Applejack stuck her head inside, looking left to right once, twice, thrice. Empty, quiet.

“Alright, we’re good,” Applejack assured, leading Rarity inside. While there was certainly more they could have done, in all honesty, it felt good to end their little date that day on the kiss. So all that was left to do was to drive back to the farm, when Applejack realized, with Rarity now having legs that didn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon, it would do the girl better to sleep in the actually house in a bed as opposed to a barn.

“Is this going to be a common thing?” Rarity asked, hand locked into Applejack’s as she fallowed behind.

“Not unless you’d rather sleep in the barn.” Applejack shrugged, giving Rarity a bashful smile. “Figured such a lovely lady as yourself deserves better.”

Rarity blushed to that. “Excellent point.”

“Thought so.” Applejack flustered, leading Rarity to the stairs. “Now, you are going to have to be quiet most of the time when I’m not around. Otherwise, I’ll be sure to-

She was cut off as she came face to face with her brother, Big Mac. Applejack started to tremble, when she noticed that Mac just as scared as she was, and that he wasn’t alone. Standing behind him, trying to make herself look smaller, was a curly purple haired girl Applejack had never seen before.

“Applejack, Big Mac?” Granny Smith called out from outside. “That you? I need a little help with these groceries!”

Nearly jumping out of their skins, Big Mac covered Applejacks mouth. He then motioned to the closet under the stairs. He then swung it open and shoved the girl in, and mouthed for Applejack to do the same with her ‘friend.’

“I guess this isn’t your first rodeo?” Applejack teased as she threw Rarity inside.

“Nope,” he mouthed, putting on a force smile along with his sister as they slammed the door closed as Granny Smith entered the house

“There you are,” Granny said. “Where you’ve been all day? Not like you to not be doing something around her when you’re not in school.”

“Um,” Applejack shallowed. Never being the best at lying. “Well, I,” she took a breath. “Was helping out, um… a friend.”

Granny Smith and Big Mac stared at her.

“Did you now?” Granny said with a warm smile that made Applejacks blood ran cold. “About time! You’ve been wasting too much time around here.”

Applejack’s hands started to clench. “Yes. I… decided, a little break wouldn’t hurt.”

Meanwhile, inside of the closet, completely rattled as she was shoved inside and pressed up against jackets and this mysterious girl, the girl in questioned asked, “So, Mac’s sister finally found someone special too?” She giggled.

Despite herself, Rarity couldn’t stop from smiling. “I guess so.” She pushed the jackets aside to get a better look at the girl. “And you are?”

“Oh, Sugarbelle,” she offered her hand. “A pleasure to meet you, miss…

“Rarity.” Rarity affirmed as she took the hand.

“So what’s your story?” Sugarbelle questioned once she stopped the shake. “You’ve been living in Applejack’s room all this time, or this your first night?”

Rarity blinked. “Pardon? And, um, I suppose this is only my second night. You’ve been here awhile then?”

Sugarbelle sadly nodded. “Yeah. It’s kind of a ridiculous story. I’m not sure if you’d believe it.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Meh, try me, darling.”

“Well, short version, I’m sure we can exchange the fuller one later if we’re going to be roomies; family is part of a rather strict cult, where dating anyone outside of it, among other things, is a big no-no.” she sighed dreamily. “Big Mac helped me out of it when we feel in love, and insisted I move in with him when I was disowned.”

“Oh my,” Rarity gapped. “Sorry to hear that.” Thinking on it, she said, “You can kind of say I’m running from an abusive relationship, and Applejack saved my life.”

Sugarbelles’ eyes sparkled. “Oh you and I are going to get along splendidly!”

Before they could exchange more stories, the door was opened by Big Mac. “Come now. AJ’s got granny distracted. I’ll take you up to her room.” He took his girlfriend’s hand and looked to rarity and offered his other. When she didn’t take it, he titled his head. “Miss?”

Rarity looked nervously at his hand. “Thanks, but, I’ll just fallow.” Rarity said, scooting a step back.

Big Mac and Sugarbelle look at each other in confusion and concern, but made no protest as they led Rarity upstairs

*****

Meanwhile, to distract Granny Smith while Big Mac got their lady ‘friends’ to their bedrooms, Applejack had taken on the painful duty of letting her grandmother know she, might, have been putting, some, thought into college one the day. The results were painful.

“Not to say universes are bad,” Granny rattled on as she handed Applejack a shopping bad, “but community is where it’s at. Same classes, same experience, but lower cost and free popcorn. Of course, with them bigger university comes more prestige. Course, then you have that new, online stuff I’ve been hearing about.”

“Uh-huh.” Applejack plainly nodded. Doing as she always did when granny Smith, or anyone, was trying to be helpful; be emotionless and neutral. Despite popular belief, there’s no actual way to tune anyone you don’t want to listen too out. The best you can hope for is to have zero emotions in a stressful situation and ride it out. Stay stoic so you don’t end up lashing out or say something regretful. Which, is to say, only works if the person you’re trying to zone out isn’t aware.

“Something bothering you, child?” She asked, not that oblivious to her granddaughter’s discomfort.

As stated, it’s impossible to actually zone out of a conversation. However, in her mind, she had learned that all she had to do to get out of these conversations was to answer, “No, gran. Just a lot of options to think about.”

Granny smith snickered. “I just don’t understand why you protest so much about taking my advice to better yourself.”

Tightening the bags she was carrying, Applejack wanted to answer, ‘Because I’m a fricking adult who’s happy with where I am and would you please just leave me alone until I don’t need to be dictated by you anymore.’

“It’s nothing,” Applejack instead. “I’m fine. Thanks for the advice.” With a bit more bit than she wanted to let slip, she added, “As always.”

Despite Applejack’s desire, Granny Smith didn’t believe that for a second. However, thinking she was doing the right thing, she ended the conversation with, “Well think about it next time we have another one of these chats. Okay?”

“Sure.” Applejack mouthed. She then smiled looking up at the second floor where Big Mac gave her a thumbs up.

“I supposing you want to help make dinner?” Granny asked once the put the food down.

“I think I’ll just go to my room for a bit.” Applejack started to sweat when granny eyed her.

“Well… Okay.” Granny said warmly. Personally thinking her ‘help’ might have been taking effect. “Nice little change of pace is always good. You have fun now.”

Applejack very nearly thought to spite her Grandma by forgetting about Rarity and go work on some chores. However, thinking about making sure Rarity was okay after shoving her into a closet was the better idea. Strictly her idea and thought alone, mind you! Once she was out of view, she slapped herself. Why did she have to be so stubborn minded? It wasn’t as if anyone meant her any harm. The opposite actually. Thinking of Rarity waiting for her up in her room, she took in a relaxing breath, only run into her brother at the bottom of the steps.

“Um,” he said, now realizing there was no reason they couldn’t chat more about new events.

As tempting as Applejack was to learn about her brother’s new friend, her head was throbbing a bit too much from all the mental energy she spent listening to her grandmother. So instead, she held up a hand and used the other one to rub her forehead.

“We can share stories later. I’ll let you be for now.” Applejack sighed, patting him on the shoulder as she walked past to her room.

“Um, e’yup.” Big Mac nodded in understanding.

“Great, I… should get going.” she headed up to her room, but couldn’t not stare at the door to her brother’s room and form a few mental pictures. Looking at her own, well, she was going to try not to get too ahead of herself now. Rarity had been sitting on the windowsill, brushing her hair when Applejack walked into the room. Looking as graceful as ever.

“Hey,” Applejack stuttered. Her breath caught in herself as the setting sun reflected off of Rarity in a majestic hew of yellow.

The mermaid smiled back and put the brush down. “Hello yourself, dear.” She picked herself off from the window frame. “Everything go well?”

Applejack sighed and slumped onto the bed. “It’s fine. I’ll make sure to bring you something to eat after dinner.”

“Is it?” Rarity titled her head as she scooted herself off the window to sit next to the farmer.

“Yes, Rarity,” Applejack huffed, lifting her face up. “I’ll be fine, just,” As it happened, Rarity sat in a spot where, when Applejack turned to look at her, she noticed something had been added to the top of her dresser draw.


“Hey. Hey, hey, hey!” Applejack yelled, leaping off of the bed and to the photo. “What the hell is that doing out!” she quickly snatched it up, looking over to thankfully see it hadn’t been damaged. “Did you touch this?!” she fumed, snapping her attention back to Rarity.

“I’m sorry!” Rarity epp’ed, backing herself away from Applejacks glare.

After a second, Applejack came around enough to realize the girl honestly couldn’t have known. She took a breath before saying, “Sorry, sorry.”

“It’s, um,” Rarity started, tapping her fingers together. “I’m guessing they are your parents?”

“Were,” Applejack sighed, taking the photo over to the bed to show a concerned looking Rarity. “This was the last photo taken of them before they,” she grasped the photo tighter, but soften at Rarity’s touch, and motioned for Applejack to sit down next to her.

“Well,” Applejack sniffled as she sat down next to Rarity. "It wasn’t the last time I saw them, mind you. But, I still remember this day.” She fingered around the photo’s frame. “After it was taken, pa said to me; ‘AJ! One of these days, you’re going to grow up big and strong, and carry on the family legacy. Ma then laughed and joked about how I would have kids one day and we’d take the same photograph years from now!’”

“So, back at that mall when that, boy,” her fist clenthed, “made that comment about your parents….

Applejack turned her head away. “Yeah. Yeah…. Of course, I end up liking girls more than boys, if at all.” She chuckled, her face tearing up. “First I’m ace, now I’m gay? I really can’t win and do anything right, can I?”

“Hey!” Rarity protested, taking Applejack’s chin and forcing the girl to look at her. “Applejack, you can’t honestly believe they’d ever be disappointed in you? Do you?”

Applejack took in a breath and looked away. “You can’t know that. And I know!” she cut off as Rarity was about to say something else. “I’m sure whatever you’re about to say has already been said by Granny Smith, or… Or my brother, or anyone. Or that I’m sure anyone would say I’m jus the one acting like a brat. Or that I’m just being stuborn, or maybe I’m not working hard enough, or, or-

Rarity silenced her by wrapping her arms around the farmer. And in that moment, Applejack didn’t really feel like she needed anything more than that. The two of them holding onto each other as rarity let Applejack cry her eyes out.

*****

Sometime after dinner, Applejack made her way back to her room with a plate for her mermaid friend.

Awkward silence fallowed as Rarity ate her meal. Only broken up by Applejack asking, “So, you want the bed? I just can sleep on the floor.”

Rarity blinked at her. “Why would you want to do that?”

Applejack blushed deeply. “Well, I mean-

“Oh.” Rarity frowned. The concept of people sleeping with each other not lost to her. However, for different context. “Well, I mean, I understanding you wanting to figure things out. But I couldn’t let that keep you from your-

“What? No!” Applejack cut off as she realized something. “It’s not that, I don’t, I mean…. If I… If I didn’t have any problems, with us, because, well I wasn’t worried about m parents, and you wanted too, or, maybe-

Rarity shot out of the bed and planted a kiss on the very surprised farmer. It seemed to speak enough for the both of them when Applejack didn’t pull back and wrapped her arms around the mermaid.

“You’re adorable when you ramble,” Rarity teased when they pulled away, “but, if I may; what would make you, not you family, friends, parents, or even myself, but, you, happy? Please be honest with me. Right here, and now, tonight?”

Before Applejack could really protest, she found herself lost in the beauty of the girl she held her arms. Crazy how one moment she considered love a foolish thing, and suddenly, she wanted to answers the girl,


“I want to be with you.”

Rarity beamed. “Good.”

She lead Applejack to the bed, where the two of them crawled under the covers, and resumed their earlier make out session. Their limbs wrapped tightly around each other, fearful this would all be a dream if they let go. They continued one this way, smiling, their heads resting on one another, as the pair of them drifted off to sleep.

Author's Note: https://m.