• Published 3rd Dec 2019
  • 382 Views, 15 Comments

Quills and Sofas Warehouse Sale - Zontan



Bulk rates on Quills and Sofas speedwrites. Now open to the public.

  • ...
2
 15
 382

Lies

Author's Note:

Tags: Twilight, Celestia, Drama(?)

Twilight was fifteen the first time she was sure Celestia was lying to her.

In retrospect, she should have said something then. But it was a small lie, and it was only because Celestia didn’t want to hurt her. It was harmless. So Twilight let it go without objection. Celestia could be allowed one small lie. What was the worst that could happen?

The next time Twilight was sure Celestia was lying to her, Nightmare Moon returned.

By the time Twilight realized she’d been lied to, it was too late to confront Celestia about it. After all, she’d been kidnapped, and the land was being thrust into eternal night. Things had been hectic. And then, the royal sisters had been so happy to be reunited, and everyone was exhausted. It was the wrong time to bring it up, and everything had worked out. It would have ruined the victory they shared. So she let it slide.

Then Celestia told her everything was fine. Even if something was wrong with Cadence, it was nothing they couldn’t handle. Nothing could defeat Celestia.

It had seemed gauche to point out that she had been wrong when she was lying on the ground with a smoking horn.

“This is Starswirl’s last spell. Never finished. I wouldn’t send it to you if it wasn’t safe.” A lie. She’d known what would happen. She’d planned for it.

“Discord is reformed. He won’t betray us.” Was she just mistaken? Or had she known all along that the only way to unlock Rainbow Power was to allow it to happen?

“The changelings aren’t a threat to us anymore.” How had they captured her? Again?

“We have a plan for you. You’ll play your part.”

It was too late. It had gone on too long. Twilight could look at them and know that she was being lied to. But she could do nothing about it. She was a Princess, even though she served no purpose. She was Celestia’s star pupil, her sword against all of the dangers Equestria faced.

There was no way she could tell Princess Celestia, Alicorn of the Sun, Ruler of Equestria, that she didn’t trust her anymore.

So she continued to smile and wave. And as those doors closed, sealing her away from her mentor and the chance to do anything important with her title, resentment grew within her.

She stood in that empty hallway, her gut roiling, staring at that door. Her resentment turned to anger, and her teeth ground together. But she pushed it down. “I trust you,” she whispered. “You’re doing what you know to be best.”

I know you’re lying.

But do you?