• Published 2nd Nov 2019
  • 714 Views, 4 Comments

Traveling A New Road - Longhaul



Would you risk everything to start over in Equestria? I did.

  • ...
1
 4
 714

Friendship, Equestrian Style

6. Friendship, Equestrian Style

“You really don’t get out much, do ya?”

It started out as a nice evening with friends. Octavia had contacted me not long after I returned from Canterlot, and we made an appointment to have our dinner-and-music night a few days later. I opted to prep gazpacho, noting the very fresh vegetables would taste wonderful and the cold soup would be a refreshing change. I was correct, as both Vinyl and Octavia enjoyed the soup immensely, and the fresh bread I got from the bakery that morning was the perfect accompaniment. It was as things were winding down after dinner that Vinyl chose to drop her bombshell.

Vinyl’s abrupt question stunned me as I tried to think of what would have caused her to say something like that. I glanced at Octavia, who seemed slightly embarrassed, and took a sip of my drink. “I’ve always been somewhat of a homebody, yeah, what’s the big deal?”

“Well, I’ve been doing some asking around, and it seems that the only time anypony sees you is when you’re on a job or at the market, or something. And when they do see you, you really don’t talk all that much.” She looked at me over her glasses. “Dude, I’m concerned about you.”

“We just met a week ago, “ I deadpanned.

Vinyl clutched at her chest in a most dramatic fashion, leading me to believe she’d been taking lessons from Rarity, and let me tell you, that mare knows drama, drawing on the display I witnessed the time I had to unclog her sink. “You think that I, one of your bestest friends, would let a little thing like time get in the way of our friendship? You wound me, sir.” She feigned indignance, complete with the forehoof to the forehead.

Yup, I thought to myself. Definitely Rarity lessons.

Not knowing what else to do, I applauded, which got a chuckle out of Octavia. “Bravo, masterful performance,” I quipped. “Now, what’s the real reason you’re so concerned about my social life, Vinyl?”

Vinyl cracked a half-smile. “Okay, you got me. It’s just that, most of the other humans all came with families, and you seem to be the only one that didn’t, as far as I know. I mean, I haven’t seen any other single humans around in Ponyville or Canterlot, I don’t know about the other places, so I could be wrong, but the point is, you’re not really going out to find yourself a special somepony…or someone, I think that’s your word.”

“I see, “ I commented, intrigued. “And, I’m guessing it’s going to be your mission to drag me out of my shell and get me to mingle more? Maybe find the true love of my life?” I queried.

“First, tell me why you don’t get out much,” Vinyl insisted.

I sighed. “Okay. What happened is, I wasn’t a very popular kid. I had a few people that I considered friends, but as the years went on we lost touch or drifted apart for whatever reason. When I got into driving, I was spending more and more time alone, and I found it wasn’t too bad. Yeah, there were times I wanted someone around to talk to, but I guess I figured I could make it okay on my own, much like I’d been doing, and I just never broke that habit.”

Vinyl was in shock. “Whoa. For someone that seems pretty cool to me, that doesn’t sound right to have to live like that.” Octavia patted my hand with her hoof and gave a sad smile. “See? Even Tavi thinks you’re okay.”

“I know we’ve only just met, but I do think you are a very nice person, and I would like to consider you a friend, if that is okay with you,” Octavia said.

I grinned. “Perfectly fine, Miss Octavia.” She smiled.

“But what about your love life?” Vinyl blurted out, much to Octavia’s shock. “I mean, you must have had a fillyfriend or two…what’s the word you humans use?”

“Girlfriend, or wife, or significant other … it depends on the type of relationship, really. And yes, I’ve had a few in my time, but for one reason or another, they didn’t work out for long. Sometimes it was my fault, other times it was hers, and there were times it was mutual. I never held a grudge about it, I just moved along.”

Vinyl grinned. “You know, I could fix you up with somepony…”

“Vinyl, no. Stop this now,” Octavia interrupted, to no avail.

“… a pony that’s very well-mannered, sophisticated, a bit of a homebody herself …”

Octavia was almost beet-red by this point. “Vinyl, please…”

“… loves music, really enjoys your cooking …”

It finally clicked. I leaned over to Octavia. “I’m sorry, but is Vinyl trying to set us up on a date?” I asked softly.

Octavia, completely mortified at this point, nodded. “I am so, so sorry about this, I had no idea she would go this far tonight.”

Now, it was my turn to console Octavia. “It’s okay, and I’m quite flattered that Vinyl thinks so highly of me that she’d try to set me up with her best friend.”

Vinyl was practically bouncing in her seat. “I knew it! I knew you two would be perfect for each other!”

Octavia began to protest. “Now, wait just a minute, Vinyl—”

I placed a hand on her hoof. “That being said, however, and while I do appreciate Vinyl wanting her friends to be happy, trying to force a romantic relationship on two individuals that have only known each other for less than a week is never a good idea. Granted, Miss Octavia is a lovely mare—” Octavia blushed a bit at hearing that, “— and any stallion would be lucky to win her favor, and if circumstances were different I would be honored to call her my marefriend, I’m fairly confident that she thinks of me as only a new friend, not a love interest.”

Vinyl sighed. “Okay, dude, I’m sorry. I just didn’t want to see ya all alone, ya know?”

“I know, Vinyl, and I am touched that you worry so much. To be honest, dating hasn’t really come to mind.”

Vinyl smiled. “That could always change, you know. Maybe if you and Tavi get to know each other better—”

“Say, don’t you think now would be a splendid time to listen to some music?” Octavia asked, giving me a pointed look.

“Oh my, yes, you’re absolutely right!” I quickly agreed. “Let’s head to the living room and I’ll bring some drinks for us. We can have dessert later on.”

Vinyl huffed. “All right, fine, subject dropped. Let’s go hear whatcha got.”

As we made our way to the living room, Octavia stopped me. “Do—do you really think I’m attractive?” she asked softly.

I leaned down and whispered, “If it weren’t true, I wouldn’t have said it.” I smiled.

I didn’t think it was possible for Octavia’s cheeks to turn any redder.

*~*~*~*~*

About five minutes into the music, Vinyl excused herself, claiming “super important urgent DJ business” at the club she was performing at over the weekend, conveniently leaving Octavia and I alone at my house. The awkward conversation after Vinyl stopped the music and left was broken only by long pauses and the ticking clock on the wall, as Octavia and I sat at opposite ends of the sofa, sipping our drinks and nibbling at some dessert treats I had picked up at Sugarcube Corner earlier that day.

After dessert, Octavia and I had a wonderful time going through some of the the music I had selected, this batch more serene and subdued than the samples that Vinyl listened to during our previous get-together. On some of the more orchestral pieces, I even caught her attempting to mime playing along on her cello, which I took as a good sign, inasmuch as she was enjoying what I had picked out. I felt a little embarrassed that many of the songs were love-themed, and I attempted to explain to her that the selections weren’t intentional in that regard, all the while getting flustered and thinking I was really trying to get her romantically interested in me. She laughed and said she understood, she realized that music was the purest form of expressing feelings and emotions.

One piece in particular intrigued her. “What is this piece from?” she asked.

I glanced at the title in the player. “Oh, this song was composed for a movie. It’s a very powerful piece, and under the right circumstances, very moving.”

She had her eyes closed at this point, attempting as much as possible to feel every note, every rise and fall of the music. As the song ended, she clapped her hooves together. “That was wonderful!” she gushed. “I would love to be able to perform that with the symphony. And with the Royal Canterlot Chorale…could you imagine the power this piece would have?”

I was still overcome by the music. I hadn’t had that reaction to music in a long time, not since I arrived in…oh no. I quickly switched my thoughts. “I think it would be wonderful, especially as the finale after a medley of the other instrumentals.”

Octavia’s eyes widened. “That’s a wonderful idea!” she exclaimed, joyfully bouncing in her seat. Her expression changed to one of concentration. “Do you think it would be possible to purchase the sheet music for these pieces?’ she asked, hopefully.

“I guess it would be, if they’re not out of print …” I thought about this, and then had a wild idea. “Say, does Vinyl have any way to record music from an outside source? Maybe that way we could record the songs, and if we can’t find the sheet music for sale, maybe we could have the music transcribed.”

“I’ll have to ask her,” Octavia said after a moment, “but I suspect she might. She had mentioned coming back and recording some of those other songs you had.”

Glancing toward the window, I happened to catch sight of a blue mane bobbing around outside.

“I get the impression that she’s not gonna be happy until we’re officially a couple,” I remarked.

Octavia grinned, and chuckled. “She won’t be happy until we’re standing at the wedding chapel together.”

“Probably so she’ll be able to DJ at our reception,” I said loud enough for someone outside to hear. The blue mane bobbed about.

I glanced at the clock. “Oh my, is it that late already? I suspect you’d want to get home…” I said.

Octavia looked at the clock and nodded. “I suppose I should, I have an early rehearsal tomorrow morning.”

I stood up. “Let me walk you to the door.” Octavia rose, and followed me to the front door.

Standing at the door, I said, “Miss Octavia, I had a great time this evening. Um, I know Vinyl was really pushing us to get together, and I wanted to say that I am quite content to remain friends with you, but I wouldn’t be averse to changing that if we both develop the same feelings.” I blushed and turned away.

Octavia turned my face back towards hers with her hoof. “I must admit, I feel the same way. Friends for now, and we’ll see what may happen.” She rose onto her rear legs and hugged me. “Friendly hug, a custom among us ponies.”

I wrapped my arms around her and returned the hug. “I like that custom.” From outside, I swore I heard a muffled “yes” from the other side of the door.

We broke the hug and I reached for the doorknob. “Well, goodnight Octavia, and please let me know what Vinyl has to say about the music.”

She nodded. “I will do so. Perhaps we could have another dinner together soon?”

I smiled. “I’d like that.” I heard a scuffling on the front step. I shushed Octavia and slowly started to turn the doorknob. Octavia stepped back, a smirk on her face. Quickly opening the door, Vinyl lost her balance from leaning on the door with her ear against it, and with hooves flailing, she landed at my feet.

Suppressing the urge to laugh, and keeping my expression as neutral as possible, I looked down at Vinyl. “Why Vinyl, what an unexpected surprise. All done at the club, I take it?” Octavia, however, was reduced to a fit of chortling.

“Um, yeah…didn’t take as long as I thought,” Vinyl relied sheepishly. “So, um…how did the night go with you two?”

I smiled at Octavia. “We had a very pleasant night. I believe Octavia has something to ask you when you two get home.” I helped Vinyl to her hooves. “She was just getting ready to leave, early rehearsal and all.”

“Right, right…” Vinyl said, still slightly dazed from her tumble. “Come on, Tavi, let’s head home then.”

“Yes, let’s.” Octavia walked up to me and smiled. “Thank you for a lovely evening, we must do this again soon.”

“I’ll look forward to it,” I replied, giving her a little wink. She blushed and giggled.

“Oh for buck’s sake, would you two just kiss already?” Vinyl exclaimed in frustration.

We looked at each other and laughed, and I gave her a small kiss on the cheek. “Until next time, then.”

Octavia and Vinyl walked outside together, as I waved from the front door.