• Published 2nd Nov 2019
  • 604 Views, 20 Comments

Assassination Classroom- Pony Time - Dragonfire2lm



A new school year at Mane Island Academy and a new batch of students transferred down into E Class, the end of their hopes for a bright future as a graduate of the school. But their new teacher has other ideas- kill him before they graduate or else.

  • ...
1
 20
 604

First Period- International History

The bell rang and Scootaloo found herself strangely curious as their new teacher put the roll book away, pulled out a copy of their history textbook and addressed the class.

"Alrighty class, this term's subject for International History is The Dragon War," he stated and received a number of groans from the group as a result. "I know, boring right? Everyone already knows about it thanks to frequent media and government coverage but I've got something special planned for you boys and girls that should make this topic a bit more interesting."

The octopus moved over to the classroom door and Pearl walked inside, a calm smile adorning her face and Scootaloo noticed that several shiny gold medals were pinned to her bandanna. Their teacher moved back over to the blackboard and began writing with a piece of chalk as he spoke. "The faculty of E Class has the wonderful privilege of being able to teach students as they see fit, so long as they follow the school curriculum and don't break their contract's terms of service. So instead of reading from a textbook, I thought it would be more engaging to learn about The Dragon War from someone who was right in the thick of it!"

Written on the board was the sentence The Dragon War by Ms.Pearl.

"The war was years ago, there's no way she fought in it," Gallus protested. "She looks way too young."

"Normally I'd say you're right but sea ponies age very differently due to their dragon ancestry, Miss Pearl here is well over three hundred years old I'll have you know," the octopus replied. "Sea ponies don't show signs of advanced ageing until they're at lest eight hundred and can live to be a thousand if they are in good health."

"Sir?" Ocellus asked with a raised hoof. "Not that this isn't interesting but, why isn't Miss Pearl telling us this herself?"

Their teacher moved to answer but paused as the sea pony in question plucked the chalk out of his grip and stood on her hind legs to write on the board herself. Scootaloo and the rest of the class watched in silent curiosity as words quickly took shape.

I cannot speak as I suffered a Mana Wound during the bombing of Pearl Island.

"A Mana Wound children, is an injury either caused by or exposed to, large quantities of magic that expose a person's innate magical energy. Imagine a wound that bleeds magic instead of blood," the octopus explained and gesturing to Pearl's neck. "Such an injury does not heal and while not lethal, is extremely painful. The person's magic is exposed, its flow throughout the body interrupted by being open to the elements, this causes pain as the body forces their magic through the wound to complete the circuit and maintain a steady of energy throughout the body."

"This, however is a topic we can discuss during today's PE lesson, right now Miss Pearl is here to explain the events that started the Dragon War." Their teacher stated and gestured for the white mare to start.

Pearl cleared the blackboard and began writing up a simple timeline while the Octopus narrated key points. While he talked, Scootaloo got out a pencil and a blank book and began taking notes.

"The kingdom of Penumbra was founded in 700 A.D, that's After Discord for you folks reading at home, and led by the Dragon Lord of Shadows, Sombra. Populated by what we know today as Bat Ponies, Umbrum and Shadow Dragons, the kingdom followed a philosophy of mental strength and fortitude for use in every day life. Sombra himself was intelligent, charismatic and well liked by his subjects and wholeheartedly believed in the philosophy of his kingdom."

"Sombra believed that system put into place after the death of Dragon King Discord, separating the various magics he controlled into more creatures and ruled over by new Dragon Lords, was a temporary solution at best as many types of magic had either been lost or were running rampant and out of control even several centuries after Discord's defeat at the hands of the Dragon Lords of Fire, Earth, Wind and Water. He believed that the only way to restore the world to normal was for a new Dragon King to be put into power, one with the will and knowledge to not make the same mistakes Discord did and Sombra believed only he himself was worthy for the position."

"He appealed to the other Lords in 795 A.D but the other Dragon Lords did not share his view on the matter and refused to grant him the position, believing he was unfit for the task. So he decided to force himself into the role by amassing as much magic as he could and become stronger than the other Lords. To achieve this, Sombra set his sights on the technologically advanced human race and by forging an alliance with the Dragon Lord of Fire, Lord Torch, who's people had a long and violent history with humanity, began attacking mankind."

"The first wave of fire dragon attacks happened in July of 830 A.D, prompting the Wind and Earth Dragon kingdoms to stand up for the humans and retaliate on fire dragon territory a week later. This incident marked the start of the nearly two hundred year war that followed, in the wake of large scale attacks that destroyed entire cities, various world governments banned together to form the Intentional Defense Force to protect civilians and aid in the war effort. The war finally ended in 1003 A.D when, in an attempt to trap Sombra, the IDF used Pearl Island and it's people as bait to lure him out onto the battlefield by leaking information that the island was sheltering the Dragon Lord of Water, who was already being hunted by Sombra's forces."

The atmosphere seem to grow heavy as Pearl paused in her writing, before she shakily added a large skull and cross bones symbol to the end of the timeline. Nevertheless, the octopus continued speaking

"The IDF developed a poison that they used on the island in the hopes of decimating Sombra's forces and weakening him enough to capture him. Whether they underestimated the strength of their bio weapon or something else went wrong is unclear but, the resulting gas bomb spread farther than predicted, wiping out the island population taking shelter in a temple far way from the battlefield on the other side of the island and polluting the water around the island. Not a single water dragon or sea pony made it out alive."

"This drew the Dragon Lord of Water out from hiding and she was furious. While she went on the warpath and not only wiped out the Shadow Dragons and Sombra himself in vengeance, a storm blanketed the entire world as she did so. It rained for twenty fours straight and only ended when Sombra himself was slain in the early hours of the morning the next day."

"Afterwards she vanished and a group of IDF soldiers patrolling for survivors found Pearl, battered, bloody and in the process of performing the last rites for the dead in her vicinity," The octopus stated and Pearl sat down beside him. Scootaloo wasn't sure to feel about the more personal touch added to end and was even more confused when the yellow creature returned to his usual cheerful self not a moment later. "Now does anyone have any questions they''d like to ask?"

"Uh yeah, what was that bit about Miss Pearl, were you making that shit up?" Smolder asked.

"Language Smolder and no, I wasn't making that up. I discussed the idea of explaining her history with the war on the way here and she agreed that it would best to mention where she fit in to sate your curiosity but not to make it the main focus of the lesson." he answered.

"So Pearl Island got gassed? It seems fine to me since the class that gets the highest scores in the mid year exams gets to go there over the summer break." Gallus pointed out.

"That's because after the war the island and surrounding waters were bought by the Griffin Empire for restoration and turned it into what is now known today as The Pearl Island Resort, I hear it's quite popular making on average seven thousand bits a year." their teacher replied.

"So are there other Sea Dragons out there?" Silverstream asked.

"... Unfortunately no, a lot of information was lost during the war, including the fate of other sea pony cities but deep sea exploration in last few decades has confirmed that every Sea Pony and subsequently, Water Dragon colony was wiped out over the course of the war by Sombra's army. The most commonly accepted theory is that the Dragon Lord of Water fled from one city to the next and her subjects gave their lives to defend her as she escaped."

"Why was she so important?" Apple Bloom asked. "It sounds like Sombra went to an awful lot of trouble to try an' catch her."

Pearl once more moved over to the blackboard to answer that particular question.

The Dragon Lord of Water is the oldest and most powerful of all the Dragon Lords. Records kept by Sombra himself indicate he wanted to capture her and use human technology to steal her magic in his bid to become the next Dragon King.

"From all of this, you can see why your governments and the IDF don't want me running around, the Dragon war ended with eighty percent of the dragon population wiped out and over half of the different species of dragon now extinct, all the culture, history and all the good those dragons did for the world are now nothing more than statistics and information on a page and Sombra wasn't nearly as powerful as I am now," the octopus stated. "Even today, decades after the war ended, the remaining dragon population still faces discrimination and scrutiny for what happened during the war while both the IDF and the governments responsible for its creation are struggling to regain the trust and cooperation of the Dragon Lords that fought for them in the war after the loss of so many innocent lives brought an end to the conflict."

"So boys and girls, whether you want to kill me or not, just remember that your actions will have consequences and affect more people than just those you know or those around you," their teacher stated and green stripes once more appeared on his face as Pearl kept writing. "I doubt you'd e able to land a hit on me thought-"

A piece of chalk bounced off his head and Pearl pointed at the newest message on the board with a smirk.

Does that count?

"What?! What do you mean does that count! You're not even here to kill me!" the octopus explained and the look pearl adopted was one easily read. It practically screamed "Your point is?"

Scootaloo couldn't help but chuckle alongside a few of her other classmates. "I say we have a good shot if she can peg you sir."

"That doesn't count!" the teacher protested.

"Eh, you must be a pushover if Miss Pearl can get you off guard." Gallus added.

Cue flailing and further protests from the giant yellow octopus "I was not off guard! I was being mindful of her presence!"

Soon the classroom was laughing and taunting their teacher, with Pearl adding to the mischief by pelting more chalk at him and while he easily dodged them now, it was still a sight to see the supposed future Dragon King getting worked up over a bit of teasing.

Scootaloo pulled out her textbook and compared her transcript of her teachers speech and the timeline Miss Pearl had drawn with the introductory chapter that covered a brief summary of the war. She checked again, and again. While her notes weren't nearly as long as the textbook summary, she found it had all the relevant points that pertained to the homework questions listed in the book and she found it was easier to just refer to her notes than to try and parse out meaning from the dry, wordy text the school had issued.

The fact that she wasn't bored and understood it as more than just dates and bits of trivia certainly helped. Seeing someone who had been there, even if all she got out of it was the same information already in the textbook, made the lesson feel more real to her. It wasn't a bunch of things that happened somewhere to a bunch of people she didn't know, here was someone who had lived through it, it had happened to them and now that person was willing to serve as proof of that to help others understand.

The young pegasus certainly agreed that it was more interesting than reading form a textbook.

Author's Note:

Regarding Updates- I don't have a set schedule, I'll update when I can but,

A) the computer is situated underneath the air conditioner so I can't use it while the aircon is on and it's spring here in New Zealand so the wether is warming up.

B) I get headaches frequently and trying to write while I have one is just sking for trouble.

and C) I'm not the only one who uses the computer so if I can't get on it, then I can't get on, plus we've had issues and health problems to deal with too.


Apologies if this chapter seems a little dry with nothing but exposition and world building, I wanted to keep in mind that the kids are going to one of the strictest schools in the world even if their teacher wants to do everything he can to help them learn. Furthermore I wanted to present the subject matter so it was as easy to follow as possible and get it out the way now so people understand bit more of what's going on.

Next Time- Second Period, dunno which subject to cover though, PE ( How Magic Works and the biological differences between the students) or The Arts (Heartsongs, cooking, symbolism in their world and so on). If you have preference for one or other, let me know. Which ever one I don't cover I'll do after.

If you have any questions or noticed a typo I missed, let me know in the comments. For a bit of insight on how the school year works and stuff Check out this blog post.