• Published 30th Oct 2019
  • 3,282 Views, 81 Comments

Sparity Shipping Mega Epic - Mareity



(ONGOING) Spike and Rarity date and have picnics and tea parties, stuff like that. Will they kiss???!! Eventually, don't rush them!

  • ...
12
 81
 3,282

– 12.5: An Interlude :: What Happened? –

‘Mmm… interference, then,’ sighed Princess Twilight, sitting semi-upright in her four-poster bed, her horn protruding through the bandage around her head with another bandage around her left wing, a plate of mashed potatoes, peas and a sparkling rainbow cupcake all on a tray magically floating over her lap. ‘Those’re… that’s what the books and the Spikes were all about, I’m sure of it now you’ve laid it out.’

‘This “Meus”…’ she rolled the name around her mouth and looked up, her head sinking into the pillow for a moment, ‘Must’ve spent some time waiting for a weakness in the fabric of the mirror’s… swirly stuff, its matrix I mean, to get through into Canterlot. But… how, and why now? Like AJ just read from Starswirl the Bearded’s literature on the subject, that kind of thing’s glitches caused by little stuff, like bugs or leaves getting into a portal. There’s no record of such a huge monster ever forcing its way through the mirror before. Most there’s ever been is the “rogue Equestrian Magic” phenomenon Sunset reports to me once in a while, and that’s more of an influence than anything material.’

Applejack held the faux-leather-bound tome on the ins-and-outs of magic mirrors, having haltingly read aloud the fairly involved information Twilight had insisted upon referring to immediately upon awakening. She’d had to intervene in Twilight’s keenest desire to both levitate and scrutinise the heavy book as a precaution following her injury – immortal as the years passed she may have become, but as had very recently been demonstrated she could still be harmed, further brain strain definitely counting – and she focussed on a diagram of how quicksand portals worked for a moment before looking up. ‘Accidental entry through an, uh, entrydimensonial tear’s happened before as you know, sugarcube… but from what y’all’re pointin’ out, nothing about that entrance was an accident. And, sounds like it was material enough to make a pigsty of y’all’s epis-sepsis-otology library on top of clobberin’ ya.’

Twilight’s bedroom chamber was not especially palatial in context of the pomp of the public face of Canterlot Castle, but it was still more spacious than average despite the overhead space taken up by the roots of the Golden Oak Library, something more besides books she’d relocated to the inner sanctum from the old castle. With the arched, green-tinted window kept faintly ajar, the hanging strings of gemstones decorating them glistened and tinkled against one another lightly in the cool breeze. Applejack had reasoned Twilight needed fresh air after the ordeal, as did they all, and despite Spike and Rarity’s chilly sojourn aloft the temperature outside had since become slightly more amenable, especially given the severe minus-temperatures they’d recently experienced while united against their icy foe. Twilight’s appropriately queen-sized mattress was home to a dozen pastel-coloured pillows and cushions that had, for the time being, mostly been pushed to its foot to keep her as unobstructed and level as possible, but she still had three nearby besides the one her head rested upon.

The other Elements of Harmony were closely congregated around the bed looking tired and largely still faintly nervous, but very relieved that Twilight was mostly thinking straight again following the blow she’d sustained in the library. Fluttershy had arranged for one of the castle chefs to fetch Twilight’s vittles, reasoning that she needed the strength, on Pinkie Pie’s encouragement. Meanwhile Rarity sat opposite where Applejack was, wrapped up snug in a warm blanket and nursing her own snack, a bowl of minestrone soup, while fussing a little over the princess’ condition and rubbing pale green ointment into the joint of her wing. For his part Spike was absent, having retired to the room’s neighbouring study for a few minutes to draft out, then mail a letter via dragonfire to the Crystal Empire like he’d promised.

Twilight had explained a short while ago what had happened after they’d all reconvened in her chamber. While in the midst of replenishing the mirror’s deactivation spell she’d received a call from it that she’d assumed was Cadance, then was caught off-guard by the same light and snow that had attacked them a few minutes later pouring out. It had been accompanied by an indistinct, snakelike mass that had attacked her, then had had its physical form sundered and somewhat depowered by her crown when she’d retaliated in fright. That forced its initial retreat, and left her buried under a pile of heavy library books shortly before their arrival.

Since their arrival Starlight Glimmer had been seated backwards on a cushioned chair by Twilight’s bedroom mirror cabinet that Spike had flung his battle-damaged jacket onto the back of, a short distance away from the others, resting her hooves on its freezerburnt fabric. Having wolfed down a bread roll and a bowl of soup the same as Rarity’s, and spent a minute nodding off after all that seat-of-her-flank spellcasting, she eased back into the real world as Twilight spoke. ‘Ngh… you know what’s strange, besides everything else… you said before that Cadance called you, but when we spoke briefly she said she’d received a call from you,’ she pondered as she approached the others, ‘That could be significant, though she said nothing bad had happened at her end when I checked.’

‘That’s because it’s not an interdimensional portal, just a sender and receiver for calls from our end. But if Meus was hiding inside somehow,’ Twilight said, before levitating another spoonful of peasy mash and taking a chomp while collecting her thoughts, ‘Well, there’s next to nothing in my literature about the precise nature of the matrix. It exists as a passage between worlds, yet it’s imperceptible and near as anypony can tell, unobservable.’

‘Moving between dimensions feels, and for our intents and purposes, is near-instantaneous, but without a way to directly observe it, its subtleties are, well, magic, in its most literal form. It works because it works. Everything we know is extrapolated from centuries of observed experience.’

‘Sounds to me as if y’all need to take the time to at least try to observe before runnin’ wild with the thing again, then,’ said Applejack, ‘I ain’t much for this kinda malarky, but casually observing the “spherical cow” explanation Starswirl writ on down in here, there’s somethin’ intelligent workin’ behind the scenes with it.’

‘That much we can observe. Anecdotally, it has decent fashion sense when sending somepony out into the human world,’ Twilight conjectured, pausing with another mouthful before lightening up, continuing with a snort, ‘I don’t think just trotting about without clothes there is, ah, as socially acceptable as it is in our world, so it’s just as well!’

‘Can confirm,’ Starlight nodded, stroking her sparkling neckerchief with a hoof, ‘Something out there gave me a neat hat and pre-ripped jeans when I jumped through to hang with Sunset Shimmer and her squad over there for the day, if you can believe that. I really liked that hat and I guess I’ve fond memories of that day despite how crazy it got courtesy of a different magic mirror, so when I saw this on the Ponyville market a few moons ago I had to have it…’

‘Yeah… clothes, not to mention the whole “transforms you into one of those hands-and-fingers-things” thing if you head out that way, or a dog, in Spike’s case,’ Rainbow Dash said, barely suppressing a laugh at that last point, ‘Sucks to be that guy… but sure, the wardrobe’s the important part of the, uh, process. Wasn’t it weird, meeting us,’ she motioned to the other ponies in the bedroom, ‘For the first time all over again, but as an alien species? And from what you’ve said, slightly, uh, younger?’

‘Yeah, it is strange at first, but you get used to it…’ Twilight answered with a nostalgic drawl, but as Starlight nodded in affirmation she continued with a grave look in her eyes, ‘But we’re getting off track from the immediate issues at hoof. Starlight, I just wanna say, you were right back in the council room about needing support, there really wasn’t any need for me to go off alone like I did… thinking on it, I should’ve at least taken a guard along. I got used to not worrying about this stuff back at the castle in Ponyville – you all know I never hired any guards there – and I guess I still consider them a formality over anything else. Things have been pretty tranquil in Equestria in general since I took over, you know? We’ve all just been getting on with life as usual since the so-called Legion of Doom got statued. It didn’t seem necessary.’

‘I’d say you’re getting soft, but now you mention it, no, I guess you never did, and it wasn’t a big deal,’ Rainbow Dash said with a chuckle, one hoof behind her neck as she hovered, ‘And life has been harmonious since then, I can see why you wouldn’t… not that that’s a bad thing or anything! Can’t lie, it’s been nice to be able to focus on Wonderbolt duties and events without getting called out to who-knows-where to solve a friendship problem or battle some mook a few times a moon…’

‘Well, hindsight is twenty-twenty, Twilight darling, nopony thinks less of you for it,’ Rarity assured her, her eyes brimming with kindness as she put a hoof atop Twilight’s sheets, ‘But perhaps watch out for yourself a little more? We all have your back no matter what, but it helps immeasurably if you say the word. You are our friend, as well as our princess! Isn’t that right, girls?’

Everypony nodded and agreed before Starlight replied to Twilight’s apology outright. ‘Yeah, I could’ve insisted I go with you a bit harder, but I’d be lying if I said I saw that intruder coming. I just worried after what Rarity reported that you’d fall in, or have it spray liquid magic glass on you! I mean, it’s liquid when it’s active, right? Can it do that?’

Applejack briefly licked her hooftip before flipping back to the book’s table of contents to locate something, beetling her brow as she did a modicum of research. ‘Naw, says right here it’s “ether-real”, which, uh, I suppose that means it ain’t in a normal state of matter–’

She was interrupted as the guards outside the bedroom door swung it open, and Spike flew in, followed by the unicorn cadet who had been present alongside Flash Magnus, bearing Twilight’s crown in a magical hold. ‘I’m done with the mail, and I met Starboard here in the hallway,’ he stated as the young aquamarine stallion with the naval compass on his flank stood in the doorway and saluted everypony in the room. ‘Thank you very much, cadet. Uh, it didn’t bean anyone, did it?’

‘Nope, just landed in a flower bed near the School of Magic, nothing serious, sir,’ said Starboard Stern, ‘Just as well, because I had to stamp out the fire it lit. Mrs. Glimmer, Sir Magnus asked me to pass on that he knew times were stressful back there, but maybe try not to endanger others like that in future?’

Starlight cringed. ‘It got rid of that monster, but he’s right. Sorry about that…’

‘Anyway, it’s cooled off enough that you can take it from me by claw if you like,’ Stern continued, passing it to Spike.

Spike plucked it from his grasp, tentatively at first, then flew closer to the bed. ‘Thanks, man. Twilight, anything else for this guy?’

‘Just… just my own thanks besides,’ she replied as she sat up even straighter than before in an effort to look regal while bedbound and still vaguely dazed, before addressing him with her royal voice, ‘Your company supported my friends in the library quite admirably, soldier. I’ll see to it that you’re rewarded later.’

‘Oh, yes, especially Mr. Magnus after that mean bully froze me against the wall,’ Fluttershy added, flying and gently shaking Starboard by both hooves, ‘I appreciated his help very much, please be sure to let him know.’

Rarity turned and trotted away from the bed, following the others’ leads and approaching the trainee with a tender smile. ‘Yes, thank you from the very bottom of all our hearts, you and the others, sweetheart. Here’s a little something for all your troubles!’ She floated five round, polished brown crystals out of the saddlebag she’d dumped at the foot of Twilight’s bed and, as the unicorn guard looked faintly awkward, inserted them into the top of his cuirass.

He frowned nervously and blushed for a moment as they rolled around in the armour padding beneath his belly before pulling his hooves away from Fluttershy’s and blurting out, ‘Uh, uh, um… thank you, your highness, and uh, m’ladies! Well, back to the library – we’ve got that room under lock and key for now! Nothing to report, but Sir Magnus will inform you ASAP the second anything changes!’

Spike crossed his arms in mid-air, and couldn’t help a slightly sardonic smile as he observed Rarity’s generosity toward the cadet. ‘“M’ladies”, pfft…’ he muttered under his breath, feeling faintly jealous at the attention this colt-in-arms had garnered just by showing up.

Rarity returned to her previous place by the bed and gave Spike, making a petulant face despite himself, an open, earnest smile. He took a breath as he realised his irrationality – Rarity’s behaviour just then was no different to how she’d been around Peach Melba a while back, after all. He lightened up and looked at her, then at Stern, and said, ‘Sorry, Stern, this afternoon’s been a pain in the tail. Enjoy those, sure… they’re a delicacy!’

‘No problem, Spike. Well, back to work!’ Regaining his composure Starboard Stern bowed his head and, once everycreature had returned the gesture, took his leave.

Spike ran a claw over the crown to make certain he was satisfied it was back at room temperature, and once Starboard Stern had left turned to their princess and asked, ‘So, Twi… where’d you like this? I was gonna just stick it back on your head, but looking at you with all those bandages, maybe not…?’

‘I’ll be fine, Spike. Slap it on,’ Twilight smiled.

Fluttershy hovered over Applejack’s head, sizing up the situation. ‘If you don’t mind me saying, you’re not fine,’ she said, raising a hoof kindly but firmly, ‘You took terrible abuse from an invader right in the nerve centre of the realm, and I don’t think we should be minimising that at all! You’re very lucky you weren’t hurt a lot worse, Twilight. Applejack was quite right to wrap you up and read the book for you… mild it may be, but a concussion like you had needs plenty of physical and mental rest, your wing will need a few days to heal, and in the spirit of what Rarity was saying before Spike came back, I for one wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving you alone tonight, even if you have your staff nearby and royal guards, um, guarding the mirror.’

‘Yes, nor would I,’ Rarity nodded once, leaning towards Twilight and batting her lashes, ‘I can spare a little time away from the boutique over the weekend for dear Twilight’s sake. Why don’t we all stay over tonight? Wouldn’t you at least like the moral support, darling?’

‘Ooh, sounds like a sleepover!’ laughed Pinkie Pie, ‘Fantastic! I’m so in! Sound good, Appledash?’

‘Yes, essentially,’ Rarity returned Pinkie’s grin as Applejack and Rainbow Dash responded affirmatively, ‘Though we’ll primarily be on alert as secondary defense, there’s no reason we can’t all have fun now, is there?’

Twilight paused for a moment, looking around at her friends who all grinned and nodded in varying stages of agreement. ‘I mean, I’m confident the Royal Guard have everything under control now and I’ll be fine after some sleep, but… oh, you’re right, I’d very much appreciate all of you staying. I mean, anypony who can’t stick around doesn’t need to… Starlight, don’t you need to get back to the school soon at least? And Fluttershy, what about the sanctuary?’

Starlight looked ambivalent and stroked her chin with one hoof as she cogitated for a moment, then cast Spike a serious look. ‘Like Rarity said, it is a Friday afternoon. Hmm… Spike, I don’t suppose you can take another letter to Sunburst, let him know I’ll be in Canterlot overnight? He won’t thank me for last-minute leaving a bunch of grading to him, but this is kind of important and Trixie can foalsit Lulu, I hope. You know, Trixie wasn’t very enthused by the whole baby thing in the early going, but they get on like a house on fire nowadays,’ she cringed at her choice of words for a second, ‘Figuratively, not literally… besides that one time, but that’s ancient history… the little magic shows she gives to Lulu have been toned down just a bit since that!’

‘As for the sanctuary. it’ll be fine in Dr. Fauna’s capable hooves for one evening, and Discord gets on so well with the herbivores these days… oh, I can probably give poor Spike a rest and summon the dear, we need a little word besides,’ said Fluttershy, before walking a few steps into the middle of the bedroom, tossing her mane back as she did a little jig then clapped her hooves together, calling aloud, ‘Discy! Discord, may I have a word if you’re not too busy, please?’

After a moment’s wait Discord appeared through a tear in reality, wearing soapy marigold gloves on his paw and claw and wielding a scrubbing brush, stepping onto the round puce rug in the centre of Twilight’s bedroom as a flying cup and saucer also exited the portal, tootling a little ditty. ‘Yes, Fluttershy? I was a little in the middle of, ah, causing chaos in the kitchen sink. These singing teacups aren’t self-washing, after all!’ Then he teleported next to Twilight and observed her bandaged form as she looked up at him sternly, ‘Ooh, dear me! Have you been getting overly raucous during your meet-up, girls? Protect the princess, indeed!’ He whipped out a stethoscope and prodded her with it on the head and chest a few times as he spoke.

‘Just a book to the head and a bruised wing,’ Twilight harrumphed, not appreciating Discord’s interference, ‘Nothing the girls did. Paws off, if you don’t mind?’

‘Discord, don’t be silly. We’ve had an, um, a sticky situation here in Canterlot this afternoon, and we’re going to stay overnight until we’re confident all is well… I really should ask, are you acquainted with an, um, “Meus”? Big, cold, mean, semi-formless tentacle creature, came out of the magic mirror, tossed all the books in the library around in a storm and tried to freeze everycreature?’

Discord pondered for a second, then shrugged. ‘There are so many gods and monsters floating around these parts I lost track millennia ago, Fluttershy, and that doesn’t ring a bell, that’s the honest truth… I don’t find myself needing to traipse into colder climes so often, or use mirror magic, ah, at all, and the name rings no bells from this, nor any other reality I know. You seem all okay, your fallen princess aside, but… it didn’t hurt you in body or spirit, did it?’

‘No, but I was stuck to the wall for a few minutes after I tried to talk it down from how mean it was being. Twilight and Spike took the worst of it… Spike is fine, but Twilight needs some rest. Anyway, I can trust you to watch over the sanctuary with Dr. Fauna for the night, can’t I?’ She looked up at Discord with the sweet, open expression everycreature in the room knew meant that for Discord, refusal simply wasn’t an option.

Not that he minded terribly. ‘Oh, I swear to myself that I’ll handle the dear creatures to my utmost,’ he answered, one hand on his heart as the other grabbed the stray teacup by its handle, ‘Those adorable little fuzzy lagomorphs, rodents and pachyderms will be all kept safe and happy under their Uncle Discord’s purview, as I also swear to acquiesce to dear Fauna’s superior knowledge as dispensed.’

Fluttershy’s eyes widened as she raised both hooves to her mouth. ‘Thank you… but do be careful with the little ones around Muriel! You know she gets scared if they surprise her…’

‘Oh, just joking around a little, I know intimately how she gets skittish. The last thing I want is to get trampled flat again. Anyway, now you bring this ice beastie up I should look into it in my own ways… in the meantime, if anything gives you girls trouble, let me know! I care. Well, ta-ta!’

‘Thank you so much, and see you soon, Discy. Tomorrow for tea over there?’

She closed her eyes and smiled as he leaned over and kissed her on the brow. ‘Up on the ceiling as always, butterbug. Routine’s not really in my nature, but that’s important.’

After reciprocating with a kiss of her own behind his ear, Fluttershy saw Discord off with eyes filled with adoration. Once he’d disappeared back into his own little world to prepare for an evening of animal care, Starlight observed, ‘Well, that made my teeth ache. You know, your relationship with that crazy draconequus is surprisingly uncomplicated. I was sure you’d be ready to, uh, obliterate him from orbit by now, but instead I’m the one with a bunch more hoops to jump through before I know I’m good to stick around.’

Fluttershy was unperturbed by Starlight’s judgement of her significant other, but she nevertheless blushed as she answered. ‘Well, the instantaneous portals help a lot… but Discord is lovely and kind, and very reliable when it counts. We’ve been getting on very well lately in particular… and from the sound of it, so are you with your family.’

As Starlight smiled back faintly slyly Twilight interjected, ‘Dang… I was really hoping Discord would be more sharey on what we’re up against. You sure he’s not holding out?’

‘It was worth my asking, but if he knows less than we do there’s not much else to say on the subject,’ Fluttershy said, giving Twilight a serious look, ‘He knows much more than he lets on, that’s true just on account of how long-lived he’s become, but he never lies to me. I believe him.’

‘Me too,’ said Spike, ‘Guy learned his lesson for the most part after Tirek, didn’t he? He’s still, uh, strange sometimes but he gets boundaries a lot better now, occasional pranks and well-meaning messes like the Legion of Doom thing aside. Associating with somecreature like Meus doesn’t seem like his style…’

‘Alright… he is much more responsible these days, but I need to cover my bases, you know? I didn’t mean to accuse him of anything, Fluttershy. ’Scuse me if it came out that way,’ Twilight apologised before turning to Spike, ‘Looks like you’re taking a few more messages, little guy. Well, definitely one for Applejack to Sweet Apple Acres as well as Starlight… anypony else?’

Pinkie waved her hoof upwards. ‘The Cakes need to know that the cakes won’t flow tomorrow morning. I fill in on Saturdays when I can, but priorities… I could make a hundred of even the deliciousest cake we sell for a bit apiece, but you can’t put a price on Twilight’s brain-filled noggin!’

Twilight giggled as Pinkie put a hoof around her purplest friend, then winced. ‘Haha, ow! Ow, Pinkie, get off! I appreciate that but please, I’m feeling kind of delicate… thinking about it, if you’re all going to stay the night,’ she pushed Pinkie off her before turning to her assistant, ‘Spike, I’m sorry to oblige you for yet another scroll but could you get Raven to organise for all the game stuff we left in the meeting room to come up here?’

‘Ooh, the party cannon too, Spike!’ Pinkie Pie added to that before putting her hooves together and intoning, ‘A party without a party cannon… is barely canon at all.’

‘Okay… letters for Starlight, AJ, Pinkie and one to Raven Inkwell,’ Spike looked at the ceiling as he counted all four fingers of one claw, ‘Followed by something down my neck and some sleep, if you don’t mind. Not everycreature here’s had the luxury of both.’

Twilight stirred her fork in her mashed potatoes with a little guilt, and Rarity, who had continued to fuss over her while the others had been talking, turned to him with a smile. ‘Are you leaving for that study across the hall again, sweetheart? I’ve only had eyes for our darling, hurt princess since we got here and I… ooh, maybe a little TLC for you wouldn’t go amiss after everything we’ve been through…’

‘Writing and sending letters is easy, Rarity, but if you wanna come with, I’d like that,’ Spike drawled, finally plunking Twilight’s crown onto her bedside table, ‘But, yeah, I won’t be back here for a short while, nothing personal to anypony. Back downstairs to my room for a couple of hours. Head hurty, achey, hungry, chamomile tea and naptime for Spikey. ’Scuse me, Starlight.’ He flew over to the chair she rested upon and collected his jacket as she moved her hooves, slinging it over his shoulder.

‘Shouldn’t we send a letter to Starswirl the Bearded, Twi? He’s got the most experience out of anypony in Equestria with mirror worlds and such, y’know? Wrote the book right here, prolly got the t-shirt to boot, from the mirror itself!’ said Applejack.

Five letters, then…’ Spike said, before Twilight could respond. ‘They’re not gonna be wordy, I’m going telegram mode. I hope that’s OK.’

‘Yeah, understandable; you’ve put up with a lot,’ Rainbow Dash nodded. ‘But come back soon after you’ve slept it off! We’re gonna be up! All! Night!’

‘It’s party time, but we mustn’t go too hard,’ Pinkie whispered, sitting next to Twilight and attempting to pat her on the head, deflected by a lilac hoof in no short order, ‘Sorry… it’s gonna be a slumber party… Discord had a point before! More sponge cake than hard candy, no jumping on the bed this time!’

‘I agree, and that sounds nice,’ said Fluttershy, ‘Although we never finished up Dragon Pit and I’d like another try, even if I left the mask you lent me somewhere or other…’

‘Yeah, a slumber party, where I stay in bed. You’re not getting me out from under here for another measurement just yet, Dashie. Don’t try,’ Twilight said, not unkindly.

As Rainbow grinned and stuck her tongue out at Twilight, Rarity collected her diamond-encrusted saddlebag and plopped it onto her back. ‘Well, if all of you don’t mind… if you’re heading bedward, Spikey-Wikey, let me give you a little lift as we accompany one another.’

‘Thanks a lot, Rarity. Let’s get these messages sent,’ said Spike, flying over to her before landing on her back, ‘See you later, girls!’ He waved, and Rarity turned to look behind her at their friends, waving a hoof likewise as they all said their goodbyes in chorus. Rarity cooed farewell one last time before leaving, delicately closing the arched door behind her as Spike jostled lightly upon her back, upright this time, his claws gently caressing her shoulders once more.

–––✧・゚: *✧・゚:*💎*:・゚✧*:・゚✧–––