• Published 27th Oct 2019
  • 1,816 Views, 12 Comments

The Stars Above - BrakePads



Peace is a rare, there is only will. Through experience, I gain strength, Through strength, power comes. Through Power, I lead to victory. Through Victory, the cost may break me down again.

  • ...
 12
 1,816

Chapter 1: Crazy Train

Chapter 1: Crazy Train


Dear Jornal,

Well, today I was beaten up after somepony mentioned that I don’t have a cutie mark. I ended up beating him up and dumped him into a filthy sewage ditch somewhere down south. I celebrated by drinking a No. 7 again and the stallion came to the same bar again with his filth. He was kicked out due to his stench.

Heh, wow. I now just have to sleep in the town prison for the 3rd time, goodnight.


[Background Noise]

Alex made his way down the winding snow covered dirt road down towards main street, another dirt road. He made way past houses with neighbors several hundred feet apart. He finally made his way to the top of Thor Hill where the sight of Foalbanks was clear.

He looked down at the small town, seeing carts and the spots of ponies meandering on the streets of the sleepy town. He also saw the newly completed Platform 13 next to the older platform 4. Sighing, Alex made his way down to the town below.

He made his way to the town center and paused on a corner. He looked to a local bar where the stallion was kickout from, the barber shop that caused a scar near his mane, and a gang of ponies approaching Alex. Wait, what?

‘Oh, buck me.’ Alex though as the gang of earth ponies approached him on Sunday’s empty streets, rendering Alex S.O.L. with him getting help.

“Hello Alexander, we’ve been waiting for you.” One of the gang members said in a fake-happy tone.

“Buck off Shoko, what the hell do you want?” Alex growled at him.

“Oooow! Harsh! Tell me what, give me all your money and we’ll leave you alone. Deal?” He said as he approached Alex’s rear.

“Fuck off.”

“Well, you deserved it.” And with that, Alex revived an arrow that embedded itself into his hind left leg from his behind. [Sound effect]

“UUUUURRRRGGGGHHH!” Alex screeched at he fell to the ground, holding his left leg.

“Know, WHERE IS OUR MONEY?!” Shoko yelled as he picked up Alex by the neck. But at this moment, Alex snapped.

“Sure, HERE IS MY VALUES!” Alex screamed at Shoko before hitting his head to the point where he became unconscious.

“GET HIM!” A gang member called out, but it was to late, Alex became a monster. Alex pulled the arrow from his hind leg and then embedded it into the chest of one of the four other gang members.

“Erk!” He screeched before falling to the ground.

“Retreat!” A gang member yelled before the same member was hit by a rock and fell cold.

The other two ran “safely” away but not before being bombarded by rock-embedded snowballs.

‘There, now for no good guy.’ Alex though as he turned towards the Shoko who was now stirring.

“Shoko, your time is up man, your useless.” Alex said while picking up a pointy rock.

“Buck… *huh* you…” He wheezed before settling on the snow in surrender.

“Okay, sounds good.” And then Alex thrust the rock into this skull. Killing the gangster that terrorized the town as far as Alex’s arrival in Foalbanks. Alex then dragged the corpse towards a dumpster.

“What a pile of trash.” Asked said before hulling Shoko into the dumpster and then closing it with as little noise as possible.

At this point, Alex realized what he has done just now and started to run away from the sight. As Alex ran down the street, he took a left turn that led to the station a little too sharply and ended up slipping on a piece ice into a mud pile. [This video when the man lands in the puddle.]

“Urghhhh…” Alex groaned as he raised his muddy body out of the mud that now covered his jacket, which he couldn’t care less about.

“Sir! Are you okay?” A mare came running from a nearby shop, panicked.

“Yes, I’ve had worse.” Alex said, grumbling over his slip and mental searching for his sanity.

“Well, I think not!” She said as she started to drag Alex towards her shop. She brought him to a beauty shop and immediately started to wipe his jacket and fur off mud.

Alex went through what he labeled as the “weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced so far” moment: a random mare cleaning him up. Ever in his life, there hasn’t a thing that even came remotely came close to what was happening right now.

Coming back reality, he realized that the mare was looking into his eyes.

“Hello sir? Are you there?”

“Uh uh, yes.” Alex replied. “Thanks?”

“No problem your highness.” And then her eyes went eye. “I mean, sir.” She said, blushing from her mix up before turning around. “Uh sir, may I asked what that scar is on you hind leg?”

“Which one?” Alex asked.

“One that is horizontal and on the joint.”

‘Oh crap.’ Alex thought as he realized he forgot the arrow that penetrated him earlier that day, he turned around hesitantly to see that there was, in fact, a scar in his leg.

‘What? Well that is, different, what should I say to her? I can’t say I’ve just somehow got the ability to super hill which, by the way, how?’

“Well, about 2 years ago, I was climbing a tree when a fella and the scar was from a thick branch I hit on the fall.”

“Ouch, well, I have a good day!

“Uh, Thanks?” He replied before leaving the front door, stopping to make sure there weren’t anypony with crossbows aiming towards his area.


(10 minutes later)

As Alex approached the now expanded train station, he saw a booth with the sign “Equestrian Military” on the top. Mentally, grinning, Alex approached the booth before showing up but realized it was empty. Grumbling, Alex ran the bell several times.

Eventually, a mare came from somewhere to the booth.

“Paperwork?” She asked, somewhat aggravated, probably due to him interrupting something.

Alex hoofed in his paperwork, essentially a piece of cardstock that was stabled to the draft paper he got in the last chapter. She looked at the paperwork before looking dumbly at the top right corner which has “C4-B53” stamped on it.
This concerned Alex, who was startin
g to question what this meant.

“Uh, sir? Can you come here for a moment?” The mare said, still looking at the paper.;

“Yes?” A navy-blue earth pony stallion responded wearing an officer’s uniform.

“What does this mean sir?”

“Uhhhhh…” And then the stallion went on mumbling to himself unintelligible things as he read the paper before looking up to Alexander with a face of disbelief.

Right now, Alex was slowly backing away.

“Cadet.”

‘That’s new.’

“Come here please.”

Alex reluctantly complied but not with him trembling forwards and tensing his muscles into a flight or fight mode. The stallion seemed to notice this, but didn’t say anything about it.

“Follow” *awhooooo! * “me.” He ordered.

Alex complied but his stance on the situation didn’t change.

As Alex follow the stallion, his mind couldn’t get the fact that he was blindly following a stallion that he doesn’t even know whatsoever. He does remember what happened last time…


Several years ago…

“So, how do you do this again?” A young Alexander asked a sphinx who he just meet the previous day.

“Oh don’t worry, here.” And Alex’s world went black and woke up in chains.


Getting the memory off his mind, Alex’s mind went back to the present to get eye singnals that the officer was opening a door to an office.

Alex stopped walking, not for sure what to do: walk in behind him through the door, stay outside, or, the friendliest to him, flee.

“Cadet Alexander? Are you coming?” The stallion’s voice entered his head.

“Why can I trust you?” Was the first words that came from Alex’s mouth.

“Because I am an office-.”

“NO, don’t give me that ‘oh, I am an officer!’ bullcrap. It doesn’t effect my question.” Alex said stomping his hoof.

“Cadet, come.” The officer said with his voice’s authority rising.

“Can we do it out here in the open?” Alex asked.

“*Sigh* No we can’t, tell you what, how about you can stay near the door during this. Agreed?”

“Sure…” Alex reluctantly agreed to before entering in behind the stallion.

The office room wasn’t anything of interest, just a couple of chairs and a bulletin board with who knows what pinned to it. It also had a door with a mirror attached to it for one reason or another, plus the walls and the floor is plain white.

‘I have a bad feeling about this.’

“So, let me start with introductions. I am Captain Blue Seal of the Equestrian Military, commander of a classified unit you don’t need to worry about. So, tell me Cadet Alexander, what about you?” Captain Seal asked while looking out of a frost covered window.

“Well, I used to live in the village of Valkway until I was about 6 and ½ before volcanoes erupt which caused me to live the Trotgass Forest for the last 13 and a half. It was brutal and whenever I stumbled on a village, which was every so often, I would often been kicked out, beaten then ejected. Only once I was somewhat accepted, but a forest fire destroyed the village.”

“Hmmm… Sees about right from what I’ve heard.”

“What?!” Alex said, aggravated, while getting into a battle stance.

“Yes, Alexander, do you remember the village of Nowheresville?” Captain Seal said still looking out the window.

“Yes, I do, why…?” Suddenly, Alex had a feeling what was happening.

“Well if you remember, you saved a stallion from a dragon fight. And then you were praised about doing so. Guess what?”

“You were there when it happened?”

“Well no, you actually carried me.” He said in a flat tone.

Alex’s world froze. He remembered doing so but the stallion was covered in mud so he couldn’t tell who it was, but it was him?! He never thought this would happen.

“You seem, shocked, but I get it. I had never though this would happen again as well.” Captain Seal broke into Alex’s wind to his right. “And this leads me to ask several questions. First,” Captain Seal turned toward Alex. “how well can you survive on your own cadet?”

“Well, let me see, I’ve have been do do do do do… alone in the forest for a maximum of five years alone. And-.”

“Okay, I have enough of that question. What about you use of weapons?”

“Made a sword/spear out of obsidian that I was able to kill a fully-grown dragon with.” At this point, Captain Seal’s face went from a strait/emotionless face to one of surprise and, fear?

“Oh, wow, expecting that.” He said looking downwards. “Well, that is enough for now, go to your assign cart and you’ll be on your way. You will be receiving, something, at your connection.”

“I am just a cadet without any military experience, why the special treatment?” Alex asked, looking at the captain dead in the eyes.

“You’ll see.” He said, grinning for the first time.

“I don’t think I deserve it.”

“Cadet Alexander, stop self-loathing yourself and just do it.” He ordered.

“Sure, as if I can change in a instant.” Alex grumbled while walking out of the door. “This is totally B.S. of me being special, there will be others who are a better pick.” And then Alex walked out the door.

“Heh, I think not.” Captain Seal said, now in the empty room. “Did you get everything sir?” He called out into the room.

“I did, he’ll be perfect, we need to see about the others.” A male voice came from the room with the mirror.

“Good, he’ll be in for a surprise.”


“Attention mares and gentalstallions, we are approaching Canterinople Station in about 5 minutes, the time is 5:55.”

“Huff, why did I have to get the overnight trip?” Alex though out loud as the train approached the station. The train cart had only about 10 other aboard and with all of them tired out of their ears. The station itself was about 20-minute walk away from center, so the city itself was barely visible from the train.

The train finally pulled into the lit three-platform station. The stallion was much, much bigger due to the larger population of Canterinople, and the ground wasn’t covered in snow. The decorations were the same as Foalbanks station, mostly bare except signs to go places and advertisements.

Alex got off the cart with ease due to the lack of ponies on his cart and was met with warm, moist air, that he wasn’t used to.

The heat made Alex fold up and pack his jacket into his saddle pack. He briefly took the time to look down into his jacket to see his belongings, including a special something that he didn’t want to come to light.

After putting his jacket away, his burnt orange coat came to light, revealing scars and scratches from his years in the Trotgass Forest.

Ignoring the weird looks he was getting, Alex made his way to the relatively empty Military Desk that had a mare on standby this time. The mare didn’t bat an eye at Alex as he approached.

“Paperwork please?” She asked robotically.

Alex handed her his paperwork which she looked at and immediately, ran a bell 5 times. A guard came from behind her in response.

“Take this stallion here to cart A1.” She instructed the stallion.

“Yes ma’am. Follow me.” The guard ordered before going to Alex’s left to a door before heading towards the train.

Alex followed the guard but with a fight and flight mentality, again, all the way to the cart. The guard left him and a purple and green pegasus mare greet him.

“Hi their cadet, how are you doing?” She asked in suspiciously kind voice.

“Good… good.” Alex’s eyes squinted at the mare as he judged the mare.

“Ready to go to hell for the first time?” She said in the same voice.

“I’ve already been to hell already, won’t be a problem going back.” Alex said rolling his eyes, now with the mare looking up and down the stallion.

“Well I won’t count on what you said, I am Master Seragent Bullet “B.B.” Burner, and welcome to hell.”

“Thanks…” Alex replied before entering the cart.

“And by the way, sit in the green jump seat next the door on you right.”

“Does in matter which one?”

“No.”

“Alright.” Alex said as he sat down on the one literally next to the jump seat in the red bench seat, yellow wall, carpet, and ceiling cart with about 15 rows of seats.

“Hello cadet, what do we have here?” M.S. Burner said to someone that Alex couldn’t see due to her being in the way.

“A mare in my path that is getting away from my destiny.” A somewhat harsh female voice responded back.

‘Uh oh, not this kind again.’ Alex though, thinking back to Shoko, who was just like that before he killed him, who he was still questioning whether that was the right things to do.

“True yellow, please step in and sit right next to the stallion on the green jump seat.” M.S. Burner said before stepping to the side.

“Sure.” The voice responded and walked in a yellow coat, orange mane and tail pegasus mare with a fiery gaze who met with Alex’s curiosy gaze before turning to the chair.

“I have to sit in this thing for who knows how long?” She muttered to herself.

“Hey Cadet Jet Fling, watch your mouth, you will make the chair said as well as Cadet Alexander’s chair.”

“*Grumpling* Fine.” She said before plopping down on the uncomfortable chair next to Alex’s equally uncomfortable and small chair.

Alex simply looked ahead of him, daydreaming about his time in the forest and the possibilities that the future will bring to him. His daydream was interrupted when he felt a hoof tap is shoulder several times to which he turned to see Jet Fling looking at him with a serious look.

“Don’t you dare do that to me, Randal.” She scolded at him.

“Whose Randal?” He asked.

“Don’t do that to me! You’ve been trying to get my place as the top flier since our childhood!”

“I don’t have wings, think before you act.”

“Stop lying,,, ing, oh.” She said as she shifter her eyes to his torso to confirm, he didn’t have wings.

“In that case, don’t get in the way of my destiny, blank flank.” She said as she looked away.

“Why is that important? May I ask?” Alex said, now looking at her side.

“Because I am the one that will bring glory to the military! I want to be apart of the 9th Special Forces Group and fight with the best.” Now she was facing Alex with a smug look. “And you don’t have a cutie mark so your direction in here won’t be nothing. But if it does, prepared to get your ass axed.”

“Cutie Marks don’t matter.” Alex retorted in a calm voice while waving his hoof in front of her, signaling that he wants the topic to walk out the door.

“Yeah, yeah, it doesn’t matter.” She complied as she looked straight ahead. Alex could now see her cutie mark was a cloud on fire, uh oh. But his mind was on the fact that he simply conveyed her to follow on what he just suggested easily.

Shrugging, he adjusted himself and put his saddle bag on his lap and settled down.

Now, 6:30, the train was full of sleepy ponies on the chairs that Alex wished he was sitting on yet didn’t complain. Jet Fling, on other terms, was constantly squirming, huffing, and cursing herself to death.

“This chair sucks.” She muttered.

“Hey! We didn’t send you there for you to complain!” M.S. Burner scolded from the door.

“Yes ma’am.” She sighed before turning towards Alex, who was looking out the window.

“What do you have to prove these?” Jet Fling said, hitting Alex’s arm.

“Owww! To prove what?” Alex said now facing Jet.

“Your muscles stupid!”

“Lived in the Trotgass Forest for around 13 and a half years.”

“Bullshit! Nopony can do that!” She said, chuckling to herself due to Alex’s “lie.”

“Sure, laugh as much as you want.” Alex said turning back to the window.

“Okay everypony!” M.S. Burner yelled into the packed car. “It is time to go to your training! Better known as Hell! The rules of this cart is no talking, no excessive squirming around in you seat, you can’t fall asleep at any point, and food is prohibited unless given to you.”

Everypony groaned.

“Lunch will be served at 12. Have a good trip, I’ll be your ‘supervisor’.” She smirked before sitting down in the largest chair, right next to Alexander and Jet Fling.


The train left the station at 6:35 to wherever it was heading towards, Alex didn’t know. Alex was looking out of the window in the cart when M.S. Burner spoke up, about 5 minutes after leaving.

[Background Noise]

“So, Cadet Alexander, what do you think?”

This caught Alexander off guard as he wasn’t for sure whether to speak or not, he went this a question.

“Should I speak or not.” Then he shut his mouth or not.

“But you spoke!” She laughed at him.

“That is the point, but I have nothing to lose at this point to eh, what is the point.” This stopped her.

“Nothing to lose, eh, what about several hundred under your command.” By now, all eyes were on the two.

“That will be the stupidest rule ever, communication will be cut off and the battle will be lost, thanks to a stupid rule that my superiors that I don’t trust forced me to follow.”

The cart gasped.

“And I don’t trust really anypony because the last couple times I trusted someone else-.”

“Why someone, should it be a pony?” A random cart member asked.

“Who said that?!” M.S. Burner asked, no one responded.

“Good, continue.”

“Thank you, I ended up in nasty situation on purpose due to them and I have authority members who made rather cruel or stupid decisions that diminished my trust for higher officials to nothing. I don’t even trust myself most times.”

The cart went silent.

“But still, you broke a rule-.”

“I don’t care about those bucking rules!” Now Alex was losing it. “It just gets in the way of things unless its there for a good reason! This isn’t one of those!” Alex was now painting.

“Sorry ma’am, I don’t like when others restate facts most of the time.”

“Okay Cadet, I’ll… talk about it with Captain Yankee.”

“Question, whose Captain Yankee?”

“Captain Blue Seal, it is confusing unless you know where he comes from.”

“Oh.”

The cart remained silent for, I don’t know, another 20 minutes before it was Jet Fling’s turn.

“So Cadet Jet Fling, what is up?”

“What’s up?!” She yelled. “I’ve been stuck in the bucking cart for half an hour with a bunch of idiots!” The silence was deafining. “There should be ponies that can break the rules! Not follow! And-!”

“Cadet, quite!” She went silent as the grumbled in her seat.

The train went on for another hour before M.S. Burner stood up and went back.

“Cadets, I’ll be back, rules still apply. You will never know who is watching you.” She said, stopping to stare at Jet Fling, before heading though the back door.

“Well, I’m free.” Jet Fling said before getting out of her seat and walk several times across the cart.

‘Well, let her get into trouble.’ Alex though as he repositioned himself.

The peace in the car, except Jet Fling’s movement, was interuped by a loud bang from the back of the cart, which was lacking about 2 rows, and smoke from the door.

[Tone Music, he he he he.]

“What the hell?!” Jet Fling yelled out before cowering under her assigned jump seat.

“All Aboard!” A voice yelled out before several ponies with grey armor and green eyes stormed the cart, with one of them laughing in an evil way.

All cart went into total chaos with the result being messed up benches, with some of them being toppled over, and all the ponies cowering behind Alex and Jet Fling who were shivering.

“I don’t like crazy.” A mare spoke.

“Is this the end of the us? Is this how we go?” Another mare replied.

“Stop you quivering foals, it is to late for your love to help us! We’re Neptune’s Spear!” The lead stallion introduced them with the rest evilly laughing.

“What did we do to you?” A stallion bravely stepped to them via on top of the benches.

“Well, you will see YOU FOAL!” The stallion bellowed out before using his magic to levitate the poor stallion to his face. “Well, is this how you, derail, your life?” [Pun totally intended.]

“Please don’t please!” He pleaded.

“Well, too late!” He yelled like this was victory before opening a window and shoving about a third of the stallion’s body out the window.

“Any last words?” The Neptune’s Spear Stallion asked.

The stallion spoke, something, but it was lost to the wind.

“Get to the crowd.” He ordered, the other members started to go to the group with spears that caused them to coward even further, except Alex and Jet Fling but they weren’t doing anything.

“Alex…” A soft, motherly, tone spoke out.

‘What was that?’ Alex mentally asked.

“Do it, you can.” And then the spoke ceased as well as a weird feeling he got from the first to last transmission.

“Right.” He though, somehow courage from somewhere before turning towards Jet Fling. “Jet, we need to charge them.” He whispered.

“What?! No! We can’t let desti-!” The cart shook like made

“Well, it is out bomb, I just need to press the little red button-“He presented a rud button to the cadets, who were all cowering, including Alex and Jet Fling. “-to end all your life’s.” As he said this, his hoof started to touch the button.

“Now!” Alex yelled out before running to the stallion and toppled him to the ground.

“Get him!” A Neptune’s spear member yelled out before Alex suddenly felt a sharp shock in his neck. This caused his world to get drowsy and before he knew it, his head was stuck in the window, however, the other stallion was not in sight.

“Crap! Crap!” He yelled into the wind wash and started to flail his limbs around, still in the cart, before he felt his hind leg slam into somepony behind him.

Unsatisfied, he kicked the being again, and again, and again, before being pulled into the cart with a thump.

[Theme music stops, regular background music continues.]

“Aright! Alight! This simulation was a disaster!” The sound of Captain Blue “Yankee” Seal filled Alex’s ears as he go this bearings together. “There are many problems with this cart I would like to address but first, Alex, are you okay?”

“Uh, I think?” Alex said before standing up to face a very worried Yankee.

“You’re good. Everypony return to seat.” He ordered at everypony hesitantly returned to his seat.

As Alex returned to his seat, he expressed his concern to his face while Jet Fling had a neutral face, even, smiling a bit?

“Well firstly, all you guys in the benches here failed the test except the one who stepped up first.”

Said stallion smilied.

“Therefore, to describe what I saw, you are full of cowards and failed the test.” Alex eyes went eye. “All except Alex and Jet Fling over there.” Ah, better.

“But, Alexander, you weren’t without faults.”

‘Oh no.’

“You should’ve done it earlier and you should’ve ralied up everypony else first to help.”

“Well, they were cowering so-.”

“Yet, you should’ve had. Now Jet Fling.” Captain Seal turned to Jet Fling. “Why did you try to nicociate you bitch?! They said no turning back when Alexander was kicking them in the window!”

‘Bullseye.’

“I don’t want to hurt myself or others sir!”

“Yet! You could’ve had your entire squad killed! Okay, I’m done.” Captain Seal stopped before turning towards M.S. Burner who had a chart with her.

They whispered to each other before ssettling on something then kissing each other before Seal left and M.S. Burner came back to her chair, leaving behind a stunned cart. Mostly due to realization this was just a simulation and the fact that the two were in a relationship.

This left Alex looking out the window again, thinking about what just happened, and Jet Fling giving him and M.S. Burner death glares.


It was now twilight time and the train were still steaming like no tomorrow. No one had dared to speak up, even after M.S. Burner spoke to them. Some ponies still had wet spots on their cheeks after what had happened that morning.

Alex was trying to stay awake then he felt the train start to slow down as he started to see lights right by the dual tracks the train was gliding over. The next thing he knew, a platform appeared with guards standing on the platform.

Ponies started to stir as the train came in.

“No standing up!” M.S. Burner ordered, prompting more groans.

The train finally halted as the brakes were applied.

“Okay, now you can stand up.” The train was filled with sighs of relief. “Except Alexander and Spitfire.”

“Come on!” She exclaimed.

“Patience young one, you have much to learn.”

“Fine!”

The train became empty as the last pony left and then Captain Seal came aboard the train.

“Okay you two, we need to have a talk, come outside when I do.”

Alex gulped.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!