• Published 2nd Nov 2019
  • 323 Views, 8 Comments

The tale of the Spy - Andy Ray



Follow the tragic tale of the Spy, as he attempts to infiltrate Equestria's government and faces friendship, the most wicked dark magic of all. No, I am not kidding you! The Spy swore it was so!

  • ...
3
 8
 323

No escaping it, is it?..

Throughout the trial I have hoped, my "friends" will win my case. If they won... Boy, where do I start?!..

If they won, suspicions might evaporate! I would be let free! Chat with Twilight Sparkle too!.. If they won, things should be back to normal! Roads would be open! Though a bit harder, I'd be closer to my destination! I can't believe I haven't reached Canterlot yet!

I imagine, things would be easier, if my "friends" won this case...

...They've failed. The judges' verdict has not changed! They are still going to examine Twilight Sparkle's mind! Little do they know, it is inside my wristlet. But that does not help things! I can't provide them with it! It is not, as if I had her mind! My wristlet can't separate it from her body! How am I supposed to let them?! If they ask me!.. I can't show them! And if I not co-operate... What shall my excuse be?!..

I should feel terrified, but I'm fine. I can't experience emotions, luckily. However... Will it be my end?..

"Alright, -- speaks the central judge up, -- let us examine the victim's captured mind!.."

"Actually, -- interferes the judge on the right, -- it is high time we had a break. I'm hungry from all these meetings!"

"Alright... let us..." -- grumbles the judge on the left, rising.

As the three leave, he looks at me and bores with his gaze, meaning to say... actually, I can't tell any more... His face exhibits only this much, and my ability to perceive others' emotions has been limited by Twilight Sparkle... I can't feel, and that's OK, won't have it any other way... Though may be inconvenient, it helps me very much, so I am staying alive, still staying alive! Oh! Oh! Oh, oh! Staying alive! Staying alive!.. Oh, right... So... I can't tell what he's feeling and with what emotion he thinks of me... Judging, though, by how he confronted me, I may only guess he's not very... pleased with me...

Ha! Whatever malice he may hold -- I am insensitive to it! Though... my current state does worry me...

The central judge announces a break and leaves with his fellows. As soon, as that has happened... my "friends" dash from their seats and rush to me!..

I'm dizzy!.. They are blabbering all kinds of consoling and supportive things, but I can't take so much at a time! Help!..

They hug me. Tears are in their eyes: they are crying. As... am I?? What's happening? Twilight Sparkle! Why have you decided it's a good idea to cry?

Urgh, this is not to be going on for any longer! Status quo must be restored! I want my body back to myself again! Huh? So WHAT, if I'll feel emotions again?! By the end it shan't matter, anyway!

"Ahem!" -- someone has coughed. Everyone's attention turns toward her.

Her Lunar Majesty.

"Hear ye me! -- she exclaimeth... oh, wait... exclaims! -- I shall go and have a meal too... Have not eaten since some time" -- she delivers apologetically. "However! -- she remembers. -- Do not go out! Especially thou, Twilight!" -- her eyes stare sternly. "Perhaps, ye all are hungry too? -- she enquires. -- If so, I shall bring some snacks to you".

Everyone is staring at her odd request, though Pinkie Pie's eyes have gone wide: "Ooh!.."

"Actually no, thank you", -- says Applejack, shoving her hoof into Pinkie Pie's mouth, stopping her from making any sounds.

"If ye say so", -- answers the princess and turns to leave after the judges.

"Uh... -- utters Rarity. -- Odd... to say the least".

"You don't say", -- answers Applejack... then yelps: "Ouch!" Pinkie Pie has just bitten her hoof, still stuck inside her mouth, and Applejack jerks it out: "Pinkie!"

"Well, hello-o-o! I was going to say I was hungry too! But someone didn't think of other ponies, huh?!"

"Oh, come on, Pinkie! We are not leaving Twah-ilah-ight in this pickle!"

"Wha-a-at?? There's a pickle, and no one's TOLD ME?!!"

All chuckle at that, and Rarity explains there is no edible pickle, rather -- a sticky situation... Ah, Pinkie Pie... Spies miss no one... but you!.. are different! I can't explain it, but, maybe, it has something to do with my current state?..

This is it, then! It is time to restore the status quo! It's time to regain control over my body!..

"Alright, guys! Let us all get serious! -- calls Rainbow Dash, and her expression goes sour. -- Let us face it: we've failed! Twilight is probably going to be found guilty... a-and... th-thrown in jail!.." She sniffs, the others' expressions saddening. But Rainbow Dash screams determinedly all of a sudden: "But are we gonna let THAT happen?! ARE WE?!! Then I say: who-o-o's WITH ME?!"

After a bit of silence Spike reminds everyone present he's still here: "I AM!" Raising his hand, he steps forward, closer to me -- and to Rainbow Dash as well.

"Dash, you've got to be kidding, -- huffs Applejack. -- We ALL are with you!" She takes a step forward as well.

"Yes, darling! Why ever should we not?" -- chimes Rarity in, following Applejack.

"Friends forever, inseparable as two gums, thick as batter -- which's thicker, than thieves!" -- gives Pinkie Pie input of her own, talking rather speedily and infecting the others with her energy. She hops toward the gang of ponies formed around me: "Together we are better, than sugar, matter more, than spices in soup do! And..." She trails off, uncharacteristically out of random things to say. "And nice things like that!" -- she adds awkwardly.

"Um..." Fluttershy has not yet said a word, but she looks ready to voice her support... Though, maybe, she's just nervous. I can't perceive her emotions any more.

"...Yay?" -- she adds finally, trying to flash a determined smile... though is she truly determined?

"Then listen! -- and Rainbow Dash rubs her fore hooves together, lowering her voice. -- I have a plan!.."

She has... What??

I was ready to strip Twilight Sparkle of her control, and then to free myself from my cloaking wristlet's influence... Now I am listening... Rainbow Dash, what have you concocted?

She whispers:

"OK, so, they are not letting Twilight go, are they? Well! While they're dining -- let's bust out!"

Hum... The security system is not so easy to bust out of...

"And... that's it? -- asks surprised Applejack with a tint of bemusement. -- That's your plan??"

"We're all prepared to fight! -- continues the pegasus. -- If we dash for the exit, as if there were no security, they shan't have time to react properly!"

"Maybe, you'll dash, huh, Rainbow! That's your last name, ain't it?"

Pinkie Pie chortles at that:

"Ha-ha, dash, Dashie, dash! Hee-hee! Dashing around at the speed of sound!" She giggles. "Got, ha-ha, places... to go... Gotta... follow my, hee-hee-hee, Rainbow-ho-ho!"

She falls on the floor, unable to stop laughing...

"Ah... Pinkie..." -- I pronounce.

"Yeah, Pinkie! -- retorts Rainbow Dash. -- I dash faster, than sound!"

"Ha-ha-ha, n-n-nope-f-ft, hee-hee-hee!" -- Pinkie Pie goes on cackling, then gasps and holds the laughter back: "For starters, you ha-have to collect a certain, ha-ha, amount of..." -- she trails off, unable to continue, laughing again.

"I've got everything I need to dash fast!"

"Even... hee-hee, the rings, hee-hee-hee?"

Though entranced in Pinkie Pie's laughter -- the music to my Hunter ears! -- I forbid one certain thought to escape me, as the ponies are stuck currently goofing around... at the speed of sound...

So... "The rainbow" has a plan... To bust out...

What is it I remember? Is it really impossible to escape? As I recall... Her Lunar Majesty... could easily teleport straight to us, while we were waiting, bypassing the security system...

Aha! "The rainbow" has got us a plan!.. I, however, should not trust it. But... If we can teleport out of here!.. Then, maybe!..

While there certainly is a possibility to escape, I am cautious. Indeed: why is it they are all so concerned about security, yet teleportation is not restricted? There clearly must be a catch...

Think, Twilight Sparkle, think... Do the job for me!..

And so she does! She is considering teleporting us! Now -- discuss this idea!

I let her speak her mind out:

"Say, guys..." All stop their shenanigans, Pinkie Pie cutting her laughter short in the middle of it. "Um-m-m... Can't we just, uh-h-h... teleport away?.."

All freeze, considering. Pinkie Pie bursts out laughing.

"Huh? What's so funny, Pinkie?" -- I ask, peeved at her not taking me seriously.

Her laughter dies down. "I'm sorry, -- she says. -- Had to finish that last laugh".

Oh. Apparently, she can pause her laughter... Hum...

"Well... Twah-ilah-ight... -- Applejack decides to speak. -- Ah-i just wonder..."

"Oh, Twilight, -- exclaims Rarity, -- why, that's a good idea! Why haven't you thought of it before?"

"Yeah! -- barks Rainbow Dash, visibly unhappy. -- Would have saved us all this trouble! Besides, it's not so cool, as my plan!" She lifts her head, eyes closed, and with a proud smile touches her chest with her forehoof.

"Rainbow! -- remarks Applejack her. -- Enough with your plan! Sure, it's cool as heck". "The rainbow" chuckles confidently. "But this is what Ah-i don't get... Now, we all would much rather this weren't happening and Twah-ilah-ight were forgiven. However... Princess Luna assured us nothing bad would happen to her..."

"So... -- shoots Rainbow Dash angrily, -- you propose to let them take Twilight, huh?!"

She inches her face closer to Applejack with a scowl.

"The princess promised, nothing would happen!" -- insists Applejack, just as angrily.

"What kind of a friend are you, AJ?! -- Pinkie Pie explodes. -- What is 'J' for, anyway? 'Jerk'?" She wraps her fore hooves around me, almost strangling me: "Worry you not, Twily! We won't leave you here!"

She pets my head for some reason... Uh...

Fluttershy, seemingly the only sane one, tries, in panic, to convince us to stop quarrelling. Rarity seems to withhold herself for a while. Spike decides to cling to me, hoping I shan't disappear, if he does.

Now, friends... I thought you might be of use... But now you can't even help me out!

Go on, Twilight Sparkle!

"Guys! -- I shout. -- Calm down, please!" They stop. I continue: "Maybe, Luna is right... But... I feel myself so stupid now..." My face changes, showing regret. "I almost can't believe I did it!.. Of all other ponies I was the one to know!.." I can't find the right words -- so guilty do I feel for my "crime". "What shall I do now?.."

"Twilight! I've said it: let's bust it!" -- repeats Rainbow Dash.

I feel unsure:

"I... don't know. W-we are not supposed to break laws!.."

"Twah-ilah-ight... you've broken one, -- remarks Applejack, head down in defeat, then rising again. -- That won't stop you. But you must think: is Princess Luna going to hurt you?" She looks in my eyes.

I answer nothing, averting my gaze. Then whisper:

"Maybe, I should just disappear..."

Wait... That's brilliant!

Just how has it not yet occurred to me??!

I should not have waited for the lunar princess to have come! The only thing having stopped me was the warning: if I had tried "to use magic", I'd have been "weakened" -- whatever that meant. But, had it not been for that...

I think of how I could pull it... Hum-m-m... My "friends" can help most definitely!..

"Guys... -- I say quietly, sounding miserable, but gaining chipperness quickly. -- There is still hope! Let me try to teleport someone! We'll just check, if we can work something out! Things can't go horribly wrong, if I try to teleport one of you! They'll have to punish me -- if they find out, of course!"

I smile determinedly:

"Come on! Who's volunteering?"

All of the ponies are hesitant -- but the dragon doesn't mull it for long. He steps up:

"I'll do it, Twilight! But, please! -- he makes pleading eyes and begs. -- Don't let them punish you!"

"Don't worry! -- I reassure him, keeping the smile. -- We'll see. But I am sure I'll manage!"

We stand together, surrounded by the other five. They are worried: their looks are screaming of that, even if I can't be sure about it. Applejack watches me disapprovingly. No doubt she condemns me now for not trusting the lunar princess... But, Applejack... You only think they won't hurt me. You are wrong: they won't hurt Twilight Sparkle... But they will -- me...

"Now... -- I say. -- I just hope we have still got time..."

"Do it, Twilight!" -- urges me Rainbow Dash.

"Hurry, sweetie!"

"We're there for you! Stay determined!"

"Make it there, darn it, then back again!.. Actually, no! Don't be back! You're not welcome here!" -- out of the blue Pinkie Pie screams, earning looks. "Uh-h-h... I mean!.. if you can't make it there, we know you're gonna make it anywhere! You're number one, Twilight! Top of the dog-pile! Head of the quarters! Princess of the hill! Ya'd better believe it, baby!!!" -- she finishes with a scream.

W-wow!.. Ho-ho!.. Pinkie Pie is surprising as ever!..

"Thank you all!" -- I smile.

Then... Then I... start.

Using the overrides I left, I instruct my wristlet to freeze Twilight Sparkle's mind. Get away from my body!..

...Now I release myself... I have the full control over my body again!.. Ah-h-h!..

...Various emotions wash me over... The concern for a friend. The care about one. The nervousness before trying something very dangerous -- though not on Rainbow Dash's part: there is boldness -- but she fears for my safety! And they all want to help me so, so very much... They wish I were out of trouble!.. Yet... they don't want me to get in any more...

I take a grip of myself: I must not succumb! Twilight Sparkle!.. Cast a spell to teleport me and Spike out of here, preferably to a place there is no one to watch us appear...

"Take care, girls... -- I manage, hoarsely. -- I'm leaving".

Just as the spell has started, I fade out of sight, hopeful to mask it with the teleportation. Before I have teleported, however... I hear the quick clop of hooves running... approaching...

I have figured out, what to do, just in time! The committee has noticed!

I give my "friends" the last going-away look, before I along with Spike vanish.


Warping through the space... is weird. The world is spinning. At one point the spell stops us moving (because that's what we've been doing: moving through the space), and we find ourselves... on the streets of a town...

Uh, but... Ah, well. I have cloaked in already, and now the only one, who can be seen, is Spike. He's blinking, probably dizzy. I admit, I am too...

Some time has passed, and we are better. Spike notices our surroundings... Also he notices I am not here.

"Wow!.. We've done it!.. I think... Uh... Twilight?.. Where are you?.. Have you teleported with me or?.. not?.. I thought, you'd try to teleport only me... What was that you said? Twilight! Are you here?"

He starts looking for me, but I'll... have none of it!


Finally! Finally I'm far away from my "friends"! I can't describe, what a relief it is! Their friendship can't hurt me now!

Finally I am far away from their intoxicating care and love! Boy, if I had taken a bit more time to have fled... It might have been, I'd be even missing them!.. But my core is still impenetrable! I can't be shaken! For I am Twil... Yuck! I am the Spy!..

...Yes... I... am... the Spy... I am not!.. Twilight Sparkle... I am just disguised as her!

...Yes... Ahem. Gentlemen. I suppose, she has overstayed her welcome. It is high time I released her!

I can't help myself but shudder to think: oh Sun!.. It is on very due time I have restored the status quo! It is very timely I've switched our minds back! Who knows, what I might have become, had I spent...

Ahem. At the very least I am myself again. Two things off my mental to-do list! I'm friendless and free! And lucky, it appears! I've not been "weakened", as was promised to me! And nor has been Spike, for that matter. Hum... A hollow threat?.. Or, maybe, only effective with many soldiers around?


Suddenly!


I am startled, as portals are opening up all around!

Unicorn soldiers from the secret place we've just escaped from appear, ready to apprehend... whomever. But, it appears, they've come after us...

I am invisible, unseen. But chances are, they can detect me! The soldiers at the frontier could. My disguise, my skills and my cloaking wristlet helped me! Can they help me this time as well?..

"FREEZE! NO ONE MOVE!" -- one soldier shouts.

Spike is scared. He complies. "Twilight!.." -- he calls uncertainly, as the soldiers apprehend him...

...I... I-I can't watch it... Th-though we've not... b-bonded for long, I... can't get rid of the feeling I must do something!.. Or... something... very... u-undesirable... will happen!.. Something very... unpleasant!..

"Where is the purple one?" -- grumbles one voice. "Disperse! Find her!" -- shouts another voice. The soldiers do that. "Return the dragon!" -- it is ordered.

Spike... No...

I... have to do something!..

But wait!.. NO!.. I must NOT!..


Struggle... Struggle paralyses me! I can't move, I can't decide what to do! Spike...

Off I go... Must help him!.. Or... must I? Uh... Pre... preposterous! No, I must not!!..


"TWILIGHT!" -- screams the poor dragon. He's... terrified. I can feel that! Terrible doom awaits him! I must not leave him hanging!.. I... must... NOT!..


...Help him. No! Why... am I clinging to him?! Must I?.. No, I don't think so...

B-but...


They are leaving! Portals are ready! In a few moments they'll disappear... and Spike will be taken with them!..

Whatever it be!.. it MUST be done! Now!


I am the Spy. I can't doubt it. My destiny is spying: it was foretold so.

I've mastered many things: stealth, watchfulness, memory... I've mastered spells: disguising, a stunning memory flash...

My wristlet... My cloaking wonder!.. Whom should I have been without it!..


...How can it all help me now?.. How?..


Twilight Sparkle... Where is your help? Since the party yesterday all you've done has been... discussing various topics with me! Has it all been mere distraction?! Why haven't you helped me?! All I had to do was to learn more about the government!.. To reach Canterlot, where it was supposed to be!.. If it was possible, to infiltrate it!.. though unlikely they trust you there... But still!

Why haven't you helped me, Twilight Sparkle? Why is it so difficult to fish information out of you?! We've chatted. I've learnt so much, thanks to you!.. But, unfortunately, the conversation has to go your way! Irrepressibility!.. Whenever I want to know something, you have to be tangential! You dump A-A-ALL you know... and then I have to wonder more!

Time passes, and I've lost the conversation thread! I haven't learnt anything I wanted, so I have to start over...

It was a mistake to absorb you, Twilight Sparkle! I've lost my time!.. I've had... to take care of your friends! Of friends, who are not mine, Twilight Sparkle. Of the friends I've never wanted!..

Have you given them to me? I know you haven't: I've taken your place... and now I have to pay the price... The price of bearing responsibility over your friends...

I... could have handled it, I think... If only you had something to do with the government!.. We'd do it together, as friends!.. I'd be there, and they'd not slow me down!

But... nope. Surely I can have fun with them... tickle fights... Oh-h-h!.. The source of Energy!.. I am full, thanks to your friends!

...But... Their loyalty. There can't be friendship without loyalty, can it? They have to stick around. Is this how they express their gratitude for taking care of them?.. I do not want to be their master! Look at what it has done to me!.. I am... miserable... I had to hide, Twilight Sparkle! To hide from their emotions! I thought I was a goner!

My only hope was, that my friends could get me off the hook. That they could save me. Then I'd think of something. But have they? Have they?? They can't even lend me a hoof! Their help is of no use! They are an unwanted burden!

If they can't help... Why do they take responsibility upon themselves?! WHY? Can I charge them for their incompetence? No. They must not take upon themselves what they escape! With responsibility comes great power, which may be, as it's known, dangerous in the wrong hooves!


"...Are you through?" -- Twilight Sparkle asks me suddenly.

Huh?? How?? Again?! No, not this time!..

"Are you finished?" -- she asks me again.

Something must be done to it! WHY does she talk??! What has happened to my cloaking wristlet??! Is it malfunctioning??

"Well, whether you are or not, listen! I talked to you about friendship! I explained it to you as best, as I could! You even witnessed it for yourself!"

Yes, I did. Again: I thought I was a goner!

"And after all this!.. You have left your friends behind! And now you refuse to help your number-one assistant! Why?! Don't you care about them?!"


There is no need to yell, Twilight Sparkle.


No, I don't care. Can it not be made any clearer? They are NOT my friends! I want friends not! I can't keep them! I am not worthy such a position! I can't be the great befriender everypony is trying to promote me to!


No, I am the Spy!

...To my internal monologue Twilight Sparkle only humphs. Great help, is it not so?

...

Alright. What do I do??

I don't know, what's happening to me right now...

If I help Spike, I'll be in trouble... I am not ready for that. Am I foolish to get in trouble?!

"No, -- again Twilight Sparkle decides to speak, -- you are lonely".

Oh, Sun!.. Apparently, I have to give in... If I can't even control my own guide, then...

Wait! Just a moment!

She's said, I am lonely... has she not?

I have been alone since my first mission. I'd learnt to spy, and then I sought to work for someone. I did well. I'd proven to be a good spy -- and then I knew I could not be trusted. I accepted that. And from then on I'd train to be fine on my own. To survive on my own, to act on my own, to decide for myself, what to do... To get in trouble and to get out of trouble -- all that I've been doing on my own, without any help. Not, that anyone has tried to help me... until now...

But may I accept this help? Shall I regret this? And can I trust someone with their questionable competency? Leaving someone responsible is always of great risk... And I can't risk my own life to get help!

No! I have to do it on my own!

"But... you can't handle this responsibility", -- protests Twilight Sparkle.

That is fine. It is MINE to handle or to fail to handle!

"Huh. This reminds me of when Applejack refused our help with apple trees in spite of that she couldn't do that on her own..." -- she pauses mysteriously, a smile hidden in her voice... though it shouldn't be possible!

This, however, is not the time to tell stories, Twilight Sparkle! My time is up! Whatever I do now, I'm in for it. I do so badly want to ditch Spike... but I can't fight off a force compelling me to do otherwise!.. And the price to pay for succumbing... It is too great! I refuse to pay it! But can I escape what I must do? I never flee my respon...

"You keep saying that word a lot, -- remarks Twilight Sparkle, interrupting me. -- Stop that! You've taken a lot upon yourself already! You can't handle it! Let your friends help you!"

...I'll regret that. As much, as I'll regret helping Spike! Whatever I choose -- the outcome is one.

What awaits me? I know not. A trial for my "crimes", probably.

"I can help you. You may count on me!"

No, Twilight Sparkle. You can't -- and I won't!


The soldier closest to the dragon oomphs and loses his balance. The rest of the soldiers are alarmed and ready to respond to attacks.

I snatch the scared Spike with my foreleg and run -- off and away!

"Use your magic, -- advises Twilight Sparkle me, -- carry Spike in it".

Thank you, Twilight Sparkle. I do that -- now I can run freely with my four legs at my disposal.

"No! -- shout the soldiers. -- After him!"

They shoot magic bolts at Spike, so I distance him from myself, lest one such bolt hit me. Thankfully, they are not snipers, although a bolt manages to hit the dragon in a short time. It is convenient I've distanced him: after having been shot he stops screaming from obvious panic, falls silent and goes limp. What's happened to you, Spike? Have they hurt you? Thinking logically, they are ordered to bring us in, so he must be alive! He has to!

Ah, look at me! Do I care for him? Because, if so... Then I wish I could LEAVE him!.. If not for Twilight Sparkle, I'd leave!.. I'd leave them all!.. Why should I care?! I have a task! And it is not to watch after them! It is to retrieve the spell! It has nothing to do with spending time with someone dear! I only need a guide, whose knowledge I can use to reach the spell! Neither Twilight Sparkle, nor somepony else concerns me!..

But look at me now! I am saving Spike the dragon... I... the Spy!..


My core... My heart, soul, the very culmination of my being... What is transpiring inside? I feel... ache. Why? What has caused it? The very unpleasant and utterly awful thought, it appears... that can crush one. The thought of... defeat? And... failure? I've... failed. I-I can't b-believe that! I don't! Me? Failed? I am the Spy! It cannot be stressed enough! The Spy has never failed yet! Do you know, who the Spy IS?! He is the legendary being, whose spying skills surpass all expectation! He can't fail!.. Nope! I! "Failed"! Ha! Preposterous!

...I am ranting, am I not? I beg pardon... I must not lose myself in my emotions... I must keep running further!.. I must keep on moving ahead! There is no time for guessing, what's transpiring in my core! The soldiers are still on hot pursuit!..

The magic bolts swoosh dangerously close to me. Whoa! I dash into an alleyway, while making Spike float further up the street, as if I were still with him... The soldiers buy that: they are running after him! Well... perfect! I've needed that spare second! Now I can look around...

I scan my surroundings and find a small rock nearby. It is perfect for throwing! If I throw it to distract them slightly... hum, then, probably, Spike can be saved!

"Teleport him", -- suggests to me Twilight Sparkle.

A good idea. Ready the spell, Twilight Sparkle! Maybe, you can help me in my predicament, after all!

"Well, what did I say? I could help! But you rejected my aid. Why? A friend ought never to doubt his friends, when they want to help him! They care about him and have no ill intentions!"

...Huh, this again?..

...There is definitely a malfunction in my cloaking wristlet: does it even control my guide? Huh??? She speaks, whenever she wish, and keeps telling me those weird advices... It... doesn't appear I can do anything about it...

This feeling again... It hasn't died, it's still there. It hurts!.. Oh-h-h!.. Am I dying somehow? Various uncontrolled responses flare up, and then die down in my core. This... this isn't g-good... Please, someone... help me!

Sun... Help me...


"I have readied the teleportation spell". Huh? What's that? Twilight Sparkle? Is that you? "Yes, that is me, -- she answers. -- I've readied the spell". OK. So...

...I-I'll d-deal with myself later, alright? F-for now I-I... have to save Spike...

The spell is ready. I've only to cast it. I target Spike...

"A magical energy spike!" -- exclaims one soldier.

"Who's casting?!" -- barks another one.

Oh... Can they trace my magic? Oh, I'll answer it shortly myself, heh-heh-heh... Now, let us see!..

I throw the rock and steer it magically. My telekinetic hold of Spike weakens; he slips and starts falling. Never worry...

The rock hits one soldier in his head; then, directed by magic, bounces off and to the next head...

All of them drop down, busy dealing with headache. At that I cast the prepared spell. Since the soldiers are not focused on Spike any more, they'll probably not notice his sudden disappearance! And, to answer my previous question: no, not any more can they trace my magic!

The dragon is teleported to me, before he may touch the pavement, right on my back. Ouch, that's not so pleasant!

But now, I think, we're safe... Hold on! I extend my cloaking, so it covers Spike. He is invisible now too. Wonderful!

And I trust it, no one has paid attention to us, huh? I give the alleyway a look: it's narrow, and no windows are in the walls. Splendid! It could have been worse...

So now we are hidden. Though the rest of the soldiers could scan to find us, they shan't be near here for a while. And those lying on the street rubbing their heads? Boy, have I hit them hard! They'll be OK: it was a small rock.

But... When they do get to their senses... we'd better have been off...


The city is abuzz! Soldiers are running, patrolling the streets, their horns aglow, as they scan the area rigorously. Some purple, translucent shield has been raised high above the city. This can't be good!

We haven't been able to find a good shelter: staying at one spot has proven to be dangerous. They are combing every nook and cranny, as if we were lice!

Spike, in the meantime, has come to regain his mobility: he feels weak, to the point he can barely talk -- but he gives at least the signs of being alive! At such times I hush him, so we be not discovered, but he wants answers.

Am I here? What's happening? Where are we and why is the city in panic? Also: are we running from someone? Where are our... friends?.. Have we... abandoned them?..

I am here, it's that he can't see me: for I am invisible... At the very least this function is working...

What's happening? Huh, well, we are chased. We ought not to have escaped... But now it's better: I can hide. There I could not be safe...

Where are we?.. We are... somewhere... I do not know. Twilight Sparkle should, though. I'll ask her later, because... w-well...

The city is in panic because of us: we are supposed to have committed a crime... Too bad for you, Twilight Sparkle: they do not know it is really me instead of you!..

Ah, yes: we are running. From the soldiers seeking us...

As to where our... friends are... and to whether we've abandoned them...

My... "friends"... Maybe... technically they... are my "friends"... They care for me. And find entertainment in hanging around me... Unfortunately, that makes me their... befriender. They need me... They... seek me...

...Through their friendship I've received a great power to attract them. To make them long for me... That power... I couldn't have received it without having taken upon myself certain responsibility... I must... pay the price...

And here I am. I have successfully teleported out of the secret courtroom, wherever it is, and have hidden myself from the certain pursuit... But have I escaped? Have I? Really? Well, think again: I have not yet gotten rid of either: Spike or Twilight Sparkle... I am hiding with Spike... He's not alone, I've got. His. Back... Moreover: it is highly unlikely I'd leave the dragon stranded!.. What is that? Why am I doing all this?..

I've... I've been... asking that... same question of myself: why am I doing what is the opposite of my plan?! I intended to leave Spike, then to hide, to find some help, under that excuse to switch guides; to leave Twilight Sparkle to her doom; to find this Sun-forsaken Canterlot!.. then -- to infiltrate the government... Then -- to steal the spell -- my main objective! A good plan, was it not?..

Well, but what's gone wrong?? I am not even near Canterlot, I don't even know where I am! And I haven't yet released Twilight Sparkle, who's not been of help lately!.. maybe, excluding some invaluable advices, but aside from that!.. And Spike? I've risked. My. Life!.. to save this dragon from the soldiers! I've gone the trouble of it, and now -- NOW I'm somewhere, and I don't even know, what to do next!.. What are we going to do?.. This is insane! Can we hide forever? For I doubt that!.. Apparently, we can't leave: the city is surrounded by some sort of a shield, and an attempt to escape will result in our being discovered!.. And... and who KNOWS, how long will it take the patrols to comb us out?!..

Ugh! I knew I'd regret this! I KNEW IT! But how could I have resisted that mysterious force, be it damned! -- that compelled me to help!.. Spike! Huh??!..

"Maybe, you should..." SILENCE!!! You have caused me but trouble!!! I! Am! Sick of this! Done! Through!

The next thing I do is...


I... rip my cloaking wristlet off... Y... yes, I do it. Trust me: in my emotional state this isn't a wonder.

Everything my trusty tool has provided... invisibility... disguise management... a connection to my misbehaving guide!.. all that disappears...

I cloak out.

My disguise dissipates...

And, at last, Twilight Sparkle has no time to reply to me. She has got to be still inside the wristlet... but I'll fix that as well.

Swoosh! -- and her body is out! There! No one and nothing is holding you now! You may go to wherever you care! If you want so!.. go rescue your friends!.. And me -- leave. Me. Alone!

The last thing on my mind is: has the wristlet at the very least cleared Twilight Sparkle's memories? She must not have any trace of the Spy... For... I'd not want her to have neither my memories, nor memory gaps... Or... should I?..


Ah! who cares! I'm leaving!


I make to turn, but notice Spike's pretty understandable shock because of what he has just witnessed. No wonder! Before his very eyes an unknown creature has appeared and produced seemingly out of thin air a dizzy Twilight Sparkle! Who can top that?!


...Oh NO!..


No... What. Have. I. DONE?!!

Author's Note:

Du-u-un, du-u-un!

Dun! Dun-dun-dun-DUN!


O, Spy!.. What has befallen you!..

What will he do now? Whom can he follow? Can he escape from the city?
And: can he be set free? Of the emotional turmoil he is experiencing?
How can he spy, if he struggles to keep his own emotions under control?..

Can he really not accept friendship??
Ah, there is no escaping it, is it :trollestia:?..
What he does not escape, is... responsibility... Ugh...

Can he resolve the conflicts he's facing?
It seems unlikely.
Do listen to his tale! Learn lessons...
That is all the teaching I'm giving here. The rest you have to pick up for yourself...


Writing this tale is... emotionally exhausting...
A break may be required...
A short one, probably.

Await!..