• Published 26th Oct 2019
  • 1,088 Views, 7 Comments

2G - Bysen



Gilda comes to Ponyville and meets Gallus. Drama happens.

  • ...
2
 7
 1,088

Gallus x Sandbar

She had no idea who his parents where. Granted her parents had pawned her off to flight school and when she got back she was old enough to be on her own. So not being around your parents as a gryphon wasn’t uncommon. She wasn’t even sure if Granpa Gruff was actually her granpa. Or if her and Gabby where related at all. Good thing gryphons, like horses [irl look it up] were resistant to inbreeding or gryphonstone would look like… oh. Oh dear.

Meanwhile, last night. [yes, I know, that’s the joke]

Gallus didn’t know what he’d expected going back to the restaurant he’d met Gilda at would do. But them saying he needed to pay for his food was actually completely expected in retrospect. He had a few bit on him [don’t ask were] but that was pretty much it. “Great… now I can’t afford to do anything either…” he muttered, looking at the single bit, paperclip and a piece of string he had left in his claw.

He assumed Ocellus would think he’s ‘cured’ and come talk to him. She was sweet that way. Damn it! He had to be somewhere else tonight, and tomorrow morning until this was all dealt with. Now that he was down on cash that limited the options. Yona, Silverstream and Smolder had all been at the school earlier today and would probably still be there. That left Sandbar. Where he was though Gallus had no idea. Running into him would be as unlikely as running into Gilda aga-and there he is right there.

“Hey man!” called Gallus. Sandbar was standing on his hind legs, forelegs leaning on the glass window of the store front. “Whatcha looking at?”

“Oh. Hey man.” the colt said hopping down from the display. “Would it unfair to the shopkeeper if I just got a quill from you instead? I mean, it’s half his business afterall.”

“I’m not giving you a feather.” Gallus deadpanned. “Why do you even want one. Aren’t they more of a unicorn… or claw, type of thing?”

“I don’t know. Just thought it’d be cooler than a pencil.”

“It wouldn’t. Trust me. Dead feathers taste awful.”

“They’re not distasteful, they’re classy…!” he said smoothly.

“If you say so…” Gallus mocked.

“Hey… you alright?” the question came out of nowhere Gallus thought. “You look a little… off. Everything doing good with you?” He did feel a little… ‘off’. But he didn’t think he was showing it. Guess some grythons just couldn’t hide things as well as they thought they could. That or some ponies could just tell a lot better than others. Or both.

“Yeah. I’m good… just some school stuff.” he said calmly enough that Sandbar’s response caught him off guard more than him asking in the first place.

“It doesn’t sound like you're good. It sounds like you’re the opposite of good. Ungood.”

“You mean bad?...”

“Yeah. That. You know you can tell me anything right? I got your back no matter what.” Sandbar emphasised by placing a hoof on Gallus’ shoulders. Not quite the back but close enough.

“Yeah. Yeah I know.” Gallus offered, dropping any false appearances he’d been putting up. “How could you even tell anyway?”

“How could I not? You’re voice is all shaky, you’re looking down and shifting around. It’s like… every tell you could imagine, you’re doing.” all of this was news to Gallus. He’d had no idea he’d been doing any of that. Like no one had been describing it. But it wasn’t lazy writing [although this part certainly is] so much as being from the perspective of the person not knowing they were doing anything at all. Which in turn, is good writing!...

“Dang it…” he muttered at the realisation before telling Sandbar “It really is just… an issue with school.” technically true but with many qualifiers. “It’ll be solved by monday. I… I’d rather wait until it’s over to tell you about it.”

“If you say so.” Sandbar mocked with the same phrase Gallus had. "But uh… what are you doing now?” he said as he ran ahead of Gallus and started walking backwards in front of him.

Gallus sighed. “Nothing really.” he knew Sandbar was going to anyway so he figured he’d ask rather than just be imposed upon. Wait… was it still being imposed on if he only asked out of courtesy? “You wanna hang out?”

“Well. I was gonna spend some time with Yona but I’m sure she’d understand. After all, you know what they say: colts before malts!” he laughed and stepped in beside Gallus as they walked to wherever. Gallus didn’t get what was so funny about that or even understand what it meant. But it cheered him up a little all the same.

Meanwhile, a few hours later back in Yona’s room.

Happy birthday to Yona. Happy birthday to Yona…
Happy birthday overlooked middle child.
Happy birthday to… Yona……

Author's Note:

That last part was a joke!
Yona not unloved middle child.

I had no idea where this was going but I think it ended up working.