• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 2,308 Views, 56 Comments

Lairs & Lycanthropy: Revival - NeoNagasaki



Twilight Sparkle and her friends get caught in a D&D based world and have to fight to get home.

  • ...
4
 56
 2,308

Mating Attack

Derpy was silent. It wasn’t remotely surprising after everything she did...after everything she was prepared to do. After all this was sorted out it was doubtful any of them especially Pinkie would be able to even look at her again. If they were lucky maybe she’d just move away and find some new friends to deal with her almost certain psychological trauma. Twilight wanted to sympathize, she really did...but she could only see the pony who almost executed a friend.

After a while she had promised her father to protect the six of them and see that the world be set right. Since then not a single word had passed her lips in four days. She stared out into the waves for endless amounts of time and walked beside her father for the rest of it. She refused to not only meet the gaze of their group, but of anypony on the ship. It was no way for a noblewoman like Derpy to act...but not much seemed to matter to the mare anymore. Even her own father...well, her father in the game anyway, didn’t speak to her much. Since then they’d confirmed this stallion was Arum Starsoul, commander of the Starsoul knights and Tarrow Starsoul’s father.

The only pony who managed to speak in her defence was Rarity. After a few days of Fluttershy’s treatments she was on her feet and walking, but she still needed makeup to hide the bruises. She was still in shock that they had not only made it out alive, but made it out alive with an army at their back. From her perspective they’d gotten out light, and relatively, maybe they had. That didn’t change the hanging cloud of gloom that permeated the entire ship as they sailed onward to Trotterdam.

Twilight was shaken out of her thoughts as Rainbow Dash shoved her lightly, then pointed toward the horizon. As they watched the sunrise peeked over the land, outlining buildings and towers of the sprawling coastal metropolis. “Looks like it’s time...” Twilight said, her gloom slowly dissipating as a small hopeful smile broke out, “It’s almost time to end this.” As she looked over, Rainbow put a hoof on her back reassuringly before slipping away.

It wasn’t long before the entire deck was filled with soldiers equipped with armor and blades. As the rows of warriors fell into formation Commander Arum hoisted himself proudly up at the front of the deck and called out to them, “Stallions and Mares of Celestia’s armed forces! This will be a day that all history will remember. The Viceroy’s treachery goes beyond anything we could have expected. This is the first, and hopefully only time we will ever need to live with such betrayal. I know many of you know and respect the man, and perhaps he even feels what he’s doing is right, but it is our duty to obey and defend the princess! We know not what resistance this stallion will put up, but we can expect he will throw anything he can in front of us to protect his miserable hide. When finally we breach the docks we need to immediately secure a foothold on land. With that done we will make our way towards the keep as best we can. While we provide a distraction the Elements of Harmony will enter and confront the Viceroy, if he will not surrender, they will put him down. Now for all that is right and holy, are you with me!”

The screaming masses of the ship sounded into a vicious battle cry as swords rattled against shields and armored hooves pounded on the deck. With their blood hot and blades sharpened the ships edged forward towards Trotterdam. They entered cannon range...and kept sailing. None of the ships in the harbor even left. As they neared the docks they could see no forced more than the city guard chatting and patrolling the town. When they were close enough a single customs official ran out and waved to them, “We have space for your ship here! Throw down your ropes and we’ll have the dockworkers secure you. I’ll go get the paperwork!”

In a matter of minutes the ships dropped anchor and were tied down. A gangplank was lowered by a friendly mare who called out, “Welcome to Trotterdam Lord Starsoul!”

Tentatively Commander Arum stepped down the gangplank and up to the returning customs agent who gave him a slight bow before handing over a clipboard and a quill. “If you would just sign here m’lord.” he said quickly.

Slowly the commander took hold of the stationary and scribbled down on the correct lines. Behind him rows of soldiers formed defensive rows, several units fanned out and took cover and secured buildings. Awkwardly ponies started looking about and speaking in hushed whispers. The city guards began backing away in fear as the formations moved in. Honestly invading a city that was treating you like a friend looked...ridiculous. Even Applejack and Rainbow Dash set their weapons away and looked about awkwardly.

A moment later Derpy’s dad handed the clipboard back to the stallion. Slowly the stallion flipped through the paperwork then set it away with a nod, “Very good commander, everything seems to be in order. I hope your stay in Trotterdam is a pleasant one...errr...I have to ask. Not that I’m complaining mind you, but...are you invading us?”

For a moment the commander hesitated, slowly turning back to look at his second in command, a mare who could only shrug at the question. Quietly he turned back to the customs agent and cleared his throat, “Um....yes. I think we’re invading you.”

A few awkward seconds of silence passed between them before the agent spoke, “I...I don’t have a form for that. Do you want me to report this to someone...or surrender or something?”

The flustered commander could only shake his head slightly, “No, that’s okay. The captain of the city guard can handle it. You go file your paperwork.”

“Yes sir.” The stallion said with an obedient salute before marching off. Twilight turned her head slightly as Rainbow let out a sigh of exasperation and set her head against the deck rail.

Five minutes passed before a mare dressed in blues and golds walked onto the docks. Just from the look of her Twilight could tell this was a captain, likely the head of the city guard. Hastily she approached Commander Arum, a look of concern emblazoned across her face, “Hello Commander, I understand you’re invading our city?”

Slowly the commander nodded, “Well...um, yes.”

“Oh, I see.” The captain responded, “How can we help?”

Finally Rainbow let out a scream of anguish, “In Celestia’s name! It’s violence! How do you screw this up? You get two or more groups and they start killing each other! It’s not that hard!”

For a moment everypony glanced over to Rainbow, but then went back to what they were doing. “You outrank me.” The captain reminded Derpy’s father, “The only person in this city that you don’t outrank is Viceroy Shadowflame and he won’t give any orders. Do you want us to protect the city from you?”

The commander shot her a dirty look, “No I don’t want you to protect the city...just...go back to your post. We’ll go talk to the Viceroy.” After a salute the captain walked away and moved back towards the mainland of the town. Silently Twilight looked around at each of her friends, and each shared a confused look. Well, everypony but Rainbow Dash, who instead looked annoyed.

As they moved through the streets clusters of soldiers fell in formation around Twilight and each of her friends. Soon Twilight couldn’t even see where she was going, she just followed the soldier in front of her. They had reasoned that perhaps Discord thought he couldn’t win a battle. If he only needed one to die to protect himself perhaps a sniper could do the deed far easier than a battalion.

It felt eerie as the ponies marched through the streets in formation. The sound of hooves around her marching in unison mixed with the startled cries and murmurs of the citizens that had to move to the side of the road to watch. The way this felt...it felt like they were the bad guys. The army marching into a town without resistance preparing to move against their leader, it just felt wrong. Still, she knew it was right, whatever Discord’s game was it wasn’t going to work, by the day’s end Celestia would rule and Discord would be stone. Finally the order of the world would be fixed.

The marching halted and the soldiers' bodies moved aside to present Viceroy Shadowflame’s massive imposing keep. Slowly the mare’s eyes moved up along the tower and steeled her nerves against the imposing fortress. After all, they had the Elements of Harmony. With the most powerful magical artifacts in the world at their disposal, he couldn’t possibly stop them...Right? If the Elements of Harmony weren’t enough then nothing would stop him.

Twilight quickly choked down her fears as she watched Commander Arum march up to the two Zephyr Knights standing proudly at the gate of the castle. For a moment he stood, but the guards remained vigilant and the gate remained closed, “Open the gate, I aim to speak to the viceroy.” he barked.

The guards didn’t look or flinch, they steadfastly stared ahead, “No sir. The viceroy has canceled all appointments today to meet with his guests.”

“And what guests would those be?”

“He has only said they are “the seven players” sir. I don’t know any more than you.”

Grimly each of her friends looked to Twilight, then back to the commander as he approached, “The seven players,” The commander asked darkly, “That would be the six of you, and my daughter?”

Twilight nodded quickly, “Yes...it seems he’s giving us an invitation to walk right through his front door.”

“It’s a trap,” Pinkie said uneasily, “It has to be, he wouldn’t just let us walk in unless he thought he could beat us.” Her face was etched with concern, Twilight guessed this was the first time in a long while the pink mare didn’t have a better understanding of the situation than most.

“We could lay siege.” Commander Arum said, “Starve him out.” That might have worked on a viceroy; it wasn’t going to work on a being that once made it rain pie for fun.

“What’s the problem?” Derpy asked as she uncaringly stared onward, “The plan was for the seven of us to get in there and confront him anyway right? This way fewer ponies had to lose their lives.”

Twilight hesitated, then let her head droop, “I don’t like it, I just know he has to have something up his sleeve, but he has Celestia in there. We need to confront him.”

Sternly Commander Arum grumbled and looked back at the soldiers, “I...suppose. At the first sign of trouble you activate the Elements of Harmony and keep yourselves safe. If we hear a commotion we’ll find a way in.”

With a look around each of her friends nodded, then fell in line behind Derpy, “Yeah,” Derpy mumbled to her father, “I promise to set things right.” then went back to staring.

The commander once more stepped up to the guards and gave a polite nod, “My apologies men, we will be happy to wait for the viceroy tomorrow. We have escorted the seven ladies he was expecting. Would you mind seeing them in?” The guard looked over the commander, then looked over Derpy and her entourage and nodded, signalling to another guard inside the gate.

After a moment the gate slowly clanked open and the seven girls walked through. As they moved, Twilight felt Pinkie’s shoulder rub up against her, then push her slightly. In confusion the mage gave way and stepped to the side as they walked, allowing Pinkie to fall in line directly behind Derpy.

Calmly they made their way through the castle, the entire way Each of their eyes flitted about scanning every shadow and crevice for signs of an assassin or a trap. After a painstakingly long time the guards halted and opened the doors to the grand hall. The solid click of the door behind them quietly signaled there was no going back now.

Before them stood a long table with a banquet fit for a princess, beautiful vegetables and fruits of every sort. The centerpiece of this table was Princess Celestia herself, bound in so many chains and straps it seemed unreasonable, and of course, her glowing red collar.

At the back of the room, resting casually on the seat reserved for the head of the house sat Discord, conveniently changed into a form they all recognized. Even as his eyes glanced over the Elements of Harmony he seemed unfazed. With a cordial smile he flew into the air, raising his arms in a greeting, “Welcome girls! It’s so good to see you again, how was the swim?”

“Shut it,” Applejack said darkly, “We’ve been through a reckonin’ gettin here, an we ain’t interested in yer nonsense.”

Calmly Twilight looked over Discord. They had broken his defenses at Shadow Station and now stood a mere forty feet from their target. At this point if he tried to attack they could stop him before he could pull anything. Likewise even if he ran there was no way he could get away fast enough. Any magics he used to escape the Elements of Harmony were powerful enough to undo. Although, if he ran they could just rescue Princess Celestia and finish the module. So...why was he just floating there calmly? Finally she couldn’t take it anymore, “I don’t get it Discord. We’re here, we have the Elements, the real Elements. What trick do you think you could possibly have that makes you think this will end differently than last time?”

With a look of mock shock he put a claw to his chest, “Me? Trick? Twilight I’m hurt you’d think me such a poor sport.”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed as her brain churned. This was a trap, it felt like a trap, it had to be a trap! Yet...she couldn’t see how. Quickly Twilight glanced back at Pinkie who unfortunately had an equally puzzled, and worried look on her face. Even Pinkie, who Twilight had come to understand was a strategist in disguise was baffled. Still, they couldn’t back down. They had a single move to make. After all their fighting and scheming, the killing and dying, they had exactly one plan. One unstoppable plan that they weren’t about to walk away from. Discord knew that, and yet he was as calm as if they didn’t pose a threat at all.

Boldly Twilight stepped forward, her friends falling into formation behind her, “You’re beaten Discord. Give up.”

With a shrug Discord held up his arms and fell to the ground, “You make a fair point. I surrender.”

The mage blinked a few times in incredulity. He...surrendered? Last time they were here he mocked them for thinking the bad guys would ever just give in. She’d been so ready to blast him again...now what? “Oh....really?”

He gave a quick nod “Really, I give up. You’re too much for me.”

A pause fell over the room for a few moments before Twilight spoke again, “Oh...could you...change the world back then?”

Discord shook his head somberly, “I would Twilight, but I gave away all my power. I literally can’t do anything about it.”

“What!” Twilight said angrily, “Who did you give your power to?”

A loud yelp sounded from behind Twilight, causing her to twist about and look back at her friends. All the others backed away from Rainbow Dash, who looked curiously at the group around her. Long ears seemed to wilt slightly as she hung her head for a moment, confused as to why everyone was staring at her. Her maw parted to let out a grumble of protest, but before long her whole body began to glow brilliantly. Her size increased rapidly, growing nearly two feet taller in a few heartbeats. In a split second her back arched before massive sprawling wings exploded from her back. The wings seemed to shimmer, a shudder running through them as each feather began to split into a multitude of colours, shining in a dazzling display of light. Though her mane and tail were still coloured as before, they seemed to grow in length and wave as if constantly pushed by an invisible breeze. A full two feet taller now Rainbow unfurled her massive wings and the multicoloured feathers each shone in a dazzling display of light. Her mane and tail were still coloured as before, but now far longer and seemed to waver as though constantly pushed by an invisible breeze. In horror Twilight’s eyes zeroed in on Rainbow’s forehead where a foot-long blue horn was hefted proudly in the air.

Instantly Twilight fought back the urge to drop to her knees in reverence. Yes it was Rainbow Dash...but her friend had just adopted the visage of a goddess! Discord’s words cut through Twilight’s awe like a knife, “I gave my power to the one who truly deserves it, Twilight, may I present the Prismatic Queen. Your new ruler.”

With a look of shock and confusion Rainbow looked down at each of her friends before finally settling on Twilight, only barely managing to mutter, “T-Twi? I think I’m an alicorn.”