• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 2,308 Views, 56 Comments

Lairs & Lycanthropy: Revival - NeoNagasaki



Twilight Sparkle and her friends get caught in a D&D based world and have to fight to get home.

  • ...
4
 56
 2,308

The Lost Game

(Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at writing, but I know full well I need to be criticized to get better so fire away. Also I should put down a bit of a warning, the ponies don’t get into the alternate universe until the third chapter. Also I don’t plan on filling every page with violence and action. I’m not shying away from it at all, but I want it to be a logical outreach of the story instead of the reason the story is written. Edit: I’m looking back on this after writing the chapter “Advancing Pawns” and...I feel like I can do better. I don’t know what my problem is, but I’ve rewritten this chapter...again, to try and fix it.)

Just as every day assigned to be, today was a pleasant warm day in Ponyville. Sunshine flowed down from the heavens and pushed its way in through the windows of Twilight’s home where she was diligently at work. As she carefully weaved between stacks of books she let out a contented sigh, a broad smile lighting up her face. As she moved her magic reached out and touched each book as she thought of it. The many hued books paused only momentarily as her violet eyes danced over the covers before flitting about to organized piles on the floor. So many books, and each of them had their place. Twilight had to compliment Celestia on letting her move into the old library; that’s where all the books would have ended up anyway. Even when she lived in Canterlot her room ended up filled with the library’s books, this cut the pretext out entirely.

Ever since Princess Celestia had assigned her this library as her living quarters she had done her best to keep all of the books in order. Unfortunately, despite her diligence, it was a task that was thanklessly never completed. She tried when she had time, but it seemed every week some issue came up that managed to drag her away. To make things worse, ponies kept putting the books back in the wrong place! How was that even possible? They were carefully organized! How could anypony see that there was a system for organizing the books, and still not follow it! Ah well, it was her home, and she relished the opportunity to finally set things straight.

A light pink shone off of her horn and surrounded the books as one of the history stacks was adjusted. The sound of hooffall and the swishing of books were the soundtrack to her own little universe - the one where she had peace. Absorbed in her task she weaved around a stack of books coming closer to the last drab binding on the shelf. The book wore a large grey cover with the title in blocky black letters on the spine. Twilight gave it a quick tug with her magic, and nothing seemed to happen. Carefully she looked in closer. It seemed the book was wedged in between the shelves, and judging by the dust behind it, it had been that way for a good long while. Twilight’s eyes raised in curiosity as she read the title out loud, “Plumbing: A History. Wow…that’s possibly the dullest book I’ve ever seen. But I suppose a book’s a book.”

The mare’s eyes closed momentarily as she shrugged. She could probably get rid of it - after all, it hadn’t been used in such a long time and nopony was going to suddenly rush in and exclaim they really needed to know about the history of plumbing. Her horn lit up once more as she increased the strength of her pull...still nothing. Twilight backed up, bumping into a stack and letting out a grumble of confusion as the dull book refused to budge. Carefully she braced herself with all four legs and her horn lit up like a white beacon, yanking on the tome as hard as she could manage. With a sudden jolt, the book was wrenched free and was sent flying halfway across the room. As the old volume cracked against the ground it sprung open, splaying the contents all over the floor. Twilight let out a yelp of surprise and backed up, instinctively shielding herself as hundreds of multisided dice and pewter figurines showered the floor of the room. As fast as it had started it was over and Twilight was left in the aftermath of the impromptu metal hailstorm.

Bewildered eyes peered from side to side carefully as she stepped around the dice and figurines on the floor to approach the book. It lay open on the other side of the room in the middle of a thick cloud of dust, lit up from a stray sunbeam. She eyed the book and noted that someone had hollowed out the center to make a hiding space. This was both clever, and kind of disrespectful - it was interesting that a pony would have taken time to hollow out a book but a book was a book after all. Even as she chided imaginary persons unknown in her thoughts she saw there was something still inside. Curiosity quickly overrode her earlier diligence as she moved in to examine it. It seemed what was left was a single large multicoloured cube and several pieces of parchment. Inquisitive lips twisted into an unintentional smile as she pulled the parchment out and splayed it out on the floor It took only a moment for her magic to push everything else to the side so she could use the room. Several of the pieces resembled maps, and one map she even recognized; Ponyville. Her eyes scanned the map carefully, noting that several of the newer structures were absent from the map; it had to be an outdated one then. There was one addition however...one that made Twilight grunt in confusion. Her hoof absently moved over to press against the section labeled “Goblin Graveyard.”

The confused pony looked about at her room, a small frown touching at the corners of her mouth. The mess of figurines and dice was everywhere and there were likely more hiding behind the stacks of books. At her thought the pieces began to obey her, one by one they jumped off the ground and floated to Twilight, glowing a bright pink as they were organized into sections. Of the small metal army there were a myriad of races; ponies, buffalo, and a series of strange bipedal ones. Once that out of the way, she returned to the stack of papers from the book. Looking away from the maps she noticed several blank sheets that read “Lairs & Lycanthropy: Character Sheet,” on the top. Her gaze drifted over the alphabet soup of letters and lines that made of the rest of the page, but whatever their meaning was, it was beyond Twilight’s knowledge.

A mystery had found Twilight, and there was nothing she craved more than a good mystery. A smile on her lips she turned about, instinctively moving to her trusty shelves to search for...information. Oh, right, they were all still on the floor weren’t they? Still sitting here, categorized, and waiting eagerly for her to return to the task she had abandoned. What had seemed like a calming and useful task not minutes before now seemed like a minor irritation - busywork that served only to delay her. With a heavy heart the melancholy mare packaged up the strange game and stowed it carefully underneath her bed, vowing to return once she’d finished what she set out to do.

The hours stretched on as on as she checked each book, discovering where to put it based on author, subject material, and title. Finally, mercifully, the task was done. With a grin Twilight pushed the last book into place and turned about in a circle viewing the filled and organized shelved with a sigh of satisfaction. With a smile, her horn glowed and she pulled the strange hollow book out from under her bed, setting it on her table. As she cracked the tome open a sudden thought shot through her mind and froze her in place. Spike. Spike wasn’t here; he went to help Pinkie Pie. A curse was muttered under Twilight’s breath as she abandoned her quest once more to go to her checklist. The scroll lifted into the air slowly as she viewed it. “Organize books, attend Pinkie’s Party.”

Her head sunk lightly, but this was what brought her to Ponyville in the first place right? Ignoring a party with her friends to spend time pursuing a mystery was something she would have done two years ago. However her time in Ponyville had changed her and for the better she thought. This mystery would be here tomorrow, and her friends were waiting. A look of self reflection crossed her face as she pushed open the front door and moved out into the brisk night air.

It was a beautiful night, the jet black sky was broken with thousands of pinpoints of light; naturally the centerpiece of the brilliant night sky was Luna’s moon. Once Twilight’s eyes adjusted from the light of her house to the darkness of the night it provided all the light she needed. The grass was lit up in the radiant light of Luna’s moon and felt wonderful against her hooves as she stepped down on it. Twilight paused for a moment to draw in a deep breath, it was easy for her to get caught up in things, and the fresh night air was a nice contrast to the stuffy room. Twilight looked over the address one more time before trotting down the road towards the rest of the town.



The town seemed empty as she reached it, as it always did at night. Several of the windows were blackened with ponies that had turned in, naturally leaving the streets clear. It was certainly a stark contrast to the bustling streets of the day, or even the nightlife of Canterlot, but she’d gotten used to it by now. Her ears twitched as she heard a thumping in the distance, many ponies were asleep, but some were surely at Pinkie’s party. Twilight pressed on, rounding a corner to see a street with many ponies on it next to the a single house lit up on the street. Several of them seemed to have trouble standing, but all of them seemed like they were having a good time, and with the stiff smell of vodka on the air it wasn’t hard to surmise why.

Tentatively Twilight pushed the door open and was met with the blaring of DJ pon-3’s turntables. The room was filled with ponies talking, drinking, and horsing around. her face lit up with a smile as she entered the room greeting a few of the ponies she had a passing familiarity with. Carefully dodging swaying ponies she made her way across the room, ever vigilant in her search for her friends. With a start Twilight jumped backwards, letting out a yelp of surprise.

Bursting out of crowd came a familiar face, a pink face with an oddly fluffy mane. It was the pink party pony that planned these events whether you wanted her to or not, Pinkie Pie. “Twilight! You made it!” Pinkie Pie called out, rushing her friend with a warm embrace. “I was worried you wouldn’t show!”

Leave it to Pinkie Pie to greet each and every pony coming through the door with a smile. “Come on Pinkie, I had to. My friends are all here, not to mention a certain baby dragon, where is the little guy anyway?” Twilight pushed Pinkie Pie back out of her personal space, struggling to find a way to do so politely.

Pinkie’s smile faded slightly as she looked to the side “He..uh…he…fell asleep. I’ll send him home in the morning.” Pinkie stepped back a bit nervously.

Twilight’s eyes shut tightly for a moment or two as she determine how to go about this diplomatically “You let him drink again didn’t you?” She emboldened her approach, advancing on the rapidly cowering pink figure.

“Well…” Pinkie Pie bit her lip, looking up desperately at her friend “It’s a party…and he asked so nicely.”

Twilight sighed, shaking her head dismissively “It’s…don’t worry about it Pinkie.” A breath of irritation escaping her lungs “I’ll talk to him about it when he gets up tomorrow. “ Her careful gaze shifted around the mass of bodies dancing to the music, and a thought occurred to her. Nothing was getting broken. “Hey, where’s Derpy anyway? This is her birthday party isn’t it?”

Pinkie bounced up, relieved to have the topic shift in any other direction and looking for an exit. “I dunno Twilight, she was here for the part where we all yell “surprise!” and then I lost track of her.”

Hooves hit the ground carefully as Twilight turned about in a circle “I don’t see he-“ Twilight’s words were cut off quickly as she finished her circle and saw her friend had vanished. Her mouth closed as she grit her teeth in irritation “Pinkie…” she muttered through clenched teeth.

Twilight weaved through the crowd once more until she made it to the drinks. The tablecloth was a mess and stunk of spilled drinks and food. Stains were evident in a few places around the punch bowl, and one look the pleasant ponies mixing drinks told her why. As soon as she could Twilight managed to pick herself up a glass and get a few drinks in her.
The punch seemed to creep through her body like a friendly warm hoof, comforting her in this crowded social scene. A small smile crept onto her face as she reached for another drink before thinking better of it and setting the cup aside. As she licked the sweet residue from her lips she remembered her first few party experiences and the lesson in friendship that provided, she didn’t need any more for now.

Feeling more at home now Twilight guided herself up the stairs and into the hallway. Shifting her way through the ever thinning group of people her search for the grey pegasus continued. A slow canter brought her at long last to Derpy’s room, and Twilight’s smile faded. It was possible Derpy was inside, after all, that’s how Twilight’s first party had ended up.
With deliberate and careful movements Twilight pushed open the door and nudged her way inside. The room was dark and Twilight winced in surprise, her eyes struggling to adjust to the sudden change.

Derpy was heard before she was seen, somewhere from the far side of the room came an irritated sigh “Damn it you’re adults! Find your own room!” Twilight recognized the voice instantly and knew she had found her quarry.

Apologetically the purple unicorn stepped forward, closing the door behind her “Derpy?” As the darkness started to become more natural a figure lying on the bed could be seen. Instinctively nostrils flared to find out if the room was in use or if Derpy was alone, the latter seemed the case. “It’s me, Twilight, are you alone up here?”

There was a confused and uncomfortable silence before the figure on the bed righted itself “Oh, hey Twilight. Yeah, yeah I’m alone.”

Twilight’s hoofsteps took her ever closer to Derpy’s bed. “Derpy, it’s your birthday party, you’re the guest of honour. What’re you doing up here by yourself in the dark?” A saddened look of concern spread over her face as she squinted, trying harder to see Derpy in the dim light.

The figure sighed, “Twilight, I don’t have a lot of friends, and I don’t like social gatherings. Also, I don’t drink. I’m glad people are enjoying the party though.” Twilight could make out the outline of a smile on her face as she came within hoof’s reach of her.

Twilight’s head shook at the figure wasting it’s time wallowing in bed. “Derpy, it’s okay! I know it can be difficult to make friends, but once you do it it’s completely worth it! Come on down with me, there’s no reason for you to miss the party!”

A strong wing was pumped once as Derpy’s blanked was lifted up and cast to the side of the bed. Derpy’s figure rose to its full height as she jumped down to face Twilight. “I’m fine the way I am Twilight. I might not have a lot of friends and have some personal issues but it’s okay.” Derpy rolled her eyes, and rolled them, and rolled them, the pupils seeming to point in different directions as usual. A comforting wing wrapped itself protectively around Twilight as Derpy pulled her close.

A haze muddled Twilight’s mind as she tried to piece that one together. Derpy was sitting alone in her room when a party was downstairs and she was pretending she was fine? “No.” Twilight insisted as Derpy gently cradled her, guiding her firmly toward the exit. “Derpy, friendship is one of the greatest things, you need to try-“

“Yes yes, friendship is just magical.” Derpy patronized. “I’ve had my whole life to get used to who I am as a pony. I have good days and bad ones. I might not have apprenticed with a goddess but I’ve done all right for myself.” Derpy’s gentle smile reassured Twilight as her wing folded back over Twilight’s rump and urged her out the door. “Go enjoy the party Twilight, I’ll see you tomorrow if I have any mail for you.”

Twilight took a few steps forward, turning her head as she saw the door start to close. Instantly one of her hind legs reared back and caught the door as it was closing “Come visit me tomorrow even if you don’t have mail.” They paused there for a moment, just looking at eachother.

Derpy sighed before nodding “Allright Twilight, I’ll be there.” Finally the insistent unicorn relented and Derpy once more disappeared behind the defensive wooden barrier.
The night continued on as Twilight found her friends and Twilight forgot about Derpy for a while. The night continued with dancing and fooling around, for some more than others. Rainbow Dash and Applejack had their almost traditional competition where they saw who could drink more. Applejack won, not that either of them would remember come morning. But the night was, in a word, fun. Eventually the party winded down and everyone said their goodnights. Pinkie Pie stayed as the party host, Fluttershy agreed to get Rainbow Dash home, and Twilight saw Applejack safely to Big Macintosh. Tired and happy Twilight slumped into her bed, curling up as the night finally overcame her.
----

A sudden bang on the door attracted Twilight’s attention, drawing her attention away from her book. Slowly she looked back towards the kitchen, waiting expectantly. “Don’t look at me!” Spike called out, “The quiche is almost done!”

With a sigh Twilight rolled her eyes and pushed up onto her hooves. The table was covered in books that she had hoped would help her discover the origin of the game, but so far her search had been fruitless. In the middle sat the hollow book with the game materials themselves. Despite her best efforts the game managed to remain shrouded in mystery. Her search temporarily abandoned, Twilight made her way to the door. As it popped open a smile crossed Twilight’s face “Derpy, you made it.”

On the front porch stood the grey mailpony radiating a nearly visible aura of pleasantness. Derpy’s smile matched Twilight’s as her eyes closed, head bobbing to the side as her golden mane drifted gently to the side. “Hi Twilight! I don’t have any mail for you!”
Twilight let out a giggle as she stepped to the side “That’s great Derpy, go ahead and set your bags down over there.” She motioned to a peg on the wall designed for holding such things. “Give me a moment to clean up, oh and Spike’s finishing up his quiche now.”

As if on cue a voice rang out from the next room over “Is Derpy here? Hi Derpy!”
Derpy bounced as she shouldered off the saddlebag onto the peg. “Well hi there Spike!” she yelled politely “How’s the quiche!”

Spike’s voice came back from the kitchen once more but was quickly cut off by Twilight “We’re one room apart! Let the girl get settled in!” Things quieted as Derpy strut into the room, her a squishing sound coming from underhoof. Twilight’s eyes widened as she darted to cut Derpy off, interposing herself between Derpy and the study. “Derpy! Maybe you should wipe your hooves?”

Derpy stopped, looking down…well, half of her eyes did when she lit up in surprise. A trail of dirt followed her from the front door in. “Oh goddesses, not again.” Derpy’s head dropped as she flapped her wings, lifting herself up off the ground as she pushed herself back to the mat at the front door. “I’m sorry Twilight, I forgot I-“

Twilight felt a twang of pity for the mare, she seemed so bent out of shape over such a minor offence. “Relax Derpy, it’s just a little dirt. Applejack does it all the time. Wipe off your hooves and I’ll meet you inside.”

Twilight trotted inside and started clearing the books from the table, stashing them in a pile on the other end of the room for later. Her efforts were futile and it was honestly starting to get on her nerves. Why wasn’t there a mention of this stupid game anywhere? The only conclusion she could think of was that it was somepony made it up themselves, but the character sheets were so complex that she didn’t think it was possible. Twilight was in the process of putting things away when she was shaken from her daydreaming by Derpy’s figure entering the room.”

“More studies Twilight?” Derpy questioned, trotting in with a giggle and a smile. Stopping for a moment as Spike passed her carrying plates. Her nose swung skyward as she took a deep whiff if the room, the scent of cooked food filled the place. “Mmmmmm Spike, smells good! I can’t wait to try it.”

The book was closed and with a pink glow it slid off the table to land on the top of the pile. “Actually this mess is my personal project. I found a book that somepony stored a game in, but I can’t find any information on it.”

The quiche was brought out, steaming and cut into six sections, it smelled delectable. It made its way across the room and was finally set down in front of the girls as they took their seats. “Looks good!” Derpy remarked, eying the dish hungrily. “What’s the name of the game anyway?” She asked inattentively as she blew on the meal.

Twilight prepared to eat her own meal, smiling approvingly at Spike before answering “Oh, it’s some game called Lairs & Lycannhropy.” Silence descended on the room went as Derpy froze, her mouth inches from the meal. Their eyes swung about to stare at her as Derpy lifter her had from the food “Have you heard of it?”

“No!” Derpy said, far more loudly than she needed to. Twilight’s eyes narrowed in suspicion, thoughts of food abandoned for her thirst for knowledge. Derpy and Twilight’s flanks slowly rose as they stared eachother down. One silently demanding an explanation and the other pleading to just disappear. All at once Derpy’s wings spread, pumping a few times as she was lifted off the ground and rocketed backwards toward the entrance. At the same moment Twilight dodged around the table and charged after her.

“Get your ass back here Derpy!” Twilight screamed, following the mare into the entranceway. Derpy frantically rushed towards the door when she was swatted out of the air by a pink burst of magic. With a yell Derpy spun in mid air and crashed, rolling into the door.

“I um…I’ve never heard of the game before?” Derpy said hopefully as Twilight shook her head. Derpy righted herself as she cowered a bit before Twilight.

“Derpy, stop acting like a crazypony! Why are you trying to run away it’s just some papers, please just tell me what you know?”

“Twilight, I really really don’t need this. I don’t want any attention and this kind of attention is the last thing I need!”

Twilight sighed staring down the panicked pony, quickly she calmed herself in an attempt to be diplomatic “Derpy, I’m not going to tell anypony, but I’d really like to know what exactly this is.”

Derpy stood up a bit straighter “You promise?”

Twilight nodded as she sat “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Her hoof raised as she placed it over her eye for a moment. “Now Spike worked hard on that quiche, let’s discuss it over lunch.”

Slowly the two made their way back into the study where Spike was halfway done with his meal. “Is it so much to ask that we go one week without something crazy happening around here?” He questioned, not really expecting an answer.

The couple sat down across for one another at the table as they ate, the uncomfortable silence filled the room until it urged Derpy to speak. “Twilight, forty years ago some ponies got together and made a game of make believe. They created a world set in oldenpony times, the players made earth pony characters and played there.” Derpy was clearly uncomfortable, looking to the side as she toyed with her food.

Twilight’s nose wrinkled as she swallowed another bite “That’s it? Why would anyone make a game where you pretend to play?”

Derpy’s head swung from side to side “No no no no. You play as an earth pony and do other things. The world is created and you can be on the frontier as Equestria was founded, searching new territory and facing the dangers along the way. Uncovering government conspiracies and saving ponies from horrible monsters, things like that. It’s like reading Derring Do…but being able to decide how the adventure proceeds.”

A long pause saturated the room in silence once more as Derpy and Twilight ate. After an uncomfortable amount of time Twilight responded “But…that sounds awesome, why the secrecy?”

Derpy sighed as she lost interest in the quiche. “The game spread in popularity and it was played all across Equestria. But ponies who didn’t understand only saw that the game involved demons, and government conspiracies didn’t go over well. Ponies started worrying that Princess Celestia would punish everyone for their evil ways and seditious mindset. Ponies who liked the game ended up playing it in secret; they were cast out socially and looked down upon. Facing social exile or a really fun game, almost all ponies gave it up. Some destroyed their materials, some….hid them.” Her eyes slowly moved from the places they were watching to focus on the book. “My father taught me how to play; he kept his rulebooks and left his game materials hidden where his friends used to meet to play…their local library.”

A look of recognition came across Twilight’s face as she finished her meal “Oh…I suppose that means this is yours now…”

“No!” Derpy yelled as she stood up. “I don’t want to have anything to do with the contemptible game!” Irritated, Derpy got up, giving a light bow to Spike and Twilight “Look, thank you for the food. Both of you. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go home and burn dad’s rulebooks like he should have 40 years ago.”

The thought of burning books turned Twilight’s stomach. Books contained information and information, all information, existed to be learned. After all information in itself is never bad, it only seems bad when used towards evil ends. “Ach! Burn…no. You have the rules for this game? That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for all day. If you don’t want those books anymore just give them to me. They’re clearly books I don’t have in my collection and apparently they’re part of the history of Equestria. I’m going to go nuts trying to find another copy apparently.”

Derpy slung her bags over her back as she sighed “Fine Twilight, take them, as long as I don’t have to see them again. I’ll wrap them up and you can come by to pick them up in an hour.”