• Published 25th Oct 2019
  • 353 Views, 2 Comments

The last egg - PaladinponyT



This story tells the tale of how one pony act of bravery, could change Equestria forever.

  • ...
 2
 353

Chapter 4:Why?

Celestia watched Sunblade quietly as tears ran down his face; the ranger looked as old as he was inside. The princess knew and understood the great burden that weighed down the stallion's shoulders. There were things beyond even her power, there had been times when even she wished for the impossible.

"I was a complete stranger," Sunblade finally said. "She knew nothing about me, and yet she trusted me enough to watch over her child. Why?"

The princess smiled, "Deep down, she knew she was not going to make it. Her one and only concern then was the fate of her baby and with you it had a greater chance of survival."

Sunblade stared at the egg letting the princess' words sink in; the she-dragon didn't have any other option. However, she still took a big risk putting her faith in him. On the other hoof, maybe in that brief moment between them she had seen something special inside him.

"Judging by your injuries," Celestia observed. "I am certain that is not the end of your journey. Please tell me the rest Sun."

"Of course your highness."

Sunblade had carefully put the egg inside his bags and walked back to the entrance of the cave. He found his cloak right where he had left it. The cloak was dry now, and he put it back on because the storm outside had died down some. The tired ranger knew he needed to sleep, but there was no way he was sleeping in the cave. He walked out into the soft rain, and surprisingly the egg was very light in his saddlebags. It was going to be a long walk back to Equestria, but he could not continue his mission. He needed to leave the dragon lands as soon as possible. The danger to himself and Equestria just increased.

Trying to stay hidden, Sunblade moved through the dragon lands in great haste. After two hours, he stopped to sleep in a sheltered hole. The wind was howling above him as he slept, so he woke up 30 minutes later. The full moon was high in the sky as Sunblade climbed out of the hole. The stars were numberless without the lights of the towns and cities, he smiled at them. The greatest gifts of the night.

Suddenly, a shadow passed over and fear caused him to halt. A huge shape hovered over him, then a dragon about three ponies tall landed in front of him. Its body was black and the scales of its belly were purple. It had many scars, some old and faded; others were new. Its eyes were red and fierce as it glared down at Sunblade.

"So you were the one inside the cave," It said in a deep male voice. "Tell me little pony, did you take anything?"

Sunblade was paralyzed, this dragon had to be the mate of the dragoness. He nodded. Trembling, he opened his bags, levitated out the wrapped bundle, and revealed the egg. The black dragon gave a large smile showing teeth, and he chuckled.

"So I missed one," he said reaching out with one clawed hand. "Give it to me little pony, and I will let you go free."

At the words 'I missed one' the fear in Sunblade began to disappear. He looked back up into the dragon's eyes; the beast must have seen something terrible in Sunblade's face, because his smile quickly went away.

Sunblade drew back the egg and glared at the dragon coldly, "What did you mean by 'I missed one'?"

Smoke came from the dragon's nose, "Isn't it obvious pony? I'm the one who destroyed the nest."

He said it like it was the easiest thing in the world; a great rage woke in Sunblade. He put the egg back inside his saddlebags, and drew out the Alicorn blade.

"Why?" he demanded from the dragon.

The huge beast gave no answer at first, then he laughed,"That female should have remembered her place. I am going to be Dragon Lord someday. I can't have anyone, not even my own mate, disrespect me." His large wings stretched out in a grand gesture, "Soon I will rule all of this land, but if the others found out my mate left me and took our eggs with her," His tail smashed the ground, "Then no dragon would follow me."

Sunblade's voice was surprisingly calm, despite his rage, "You killed her and your own children, for that? Just because she decided to leave?"

The black dragon snorted in contempt, "What do you care little pony? It is none of your business, now give me the egg and go back to your soft little land."

Sunblade removed his bags and recited a spell he learned a year ago; white and gold armor appeared around his body. The stars and moon made him and his sword shine brilliantly.

"You are no dragon sir, you are a demon, and you will never touch that egg while I live," Sunblade said in defiance.

More smoke came from the dragon's mouth, he stood tall and said, "So be it."