• Published 25th Oct 2019
  • 353 Views, 2 Comments

The last egg - PaladinponyT



This story tells the tale of how one pony act of bravery, could change Equestria forever.

  • ...
 2
 353

Chapter 3: A mother's wish

Celestia was horrified at Sunblade's description of the nest; even he wanted desperately to forget it. The room was silent for a very long while. After settling herself the princess spoke, "I could never have imagined that any creature was capable of such vile cruelty." Celestia touched the purple egg lovingly, "At least, you saved this one. Where did you find it?"

Sunblade looked down at the egg and continued his story; the shock of what he saw had been terrible. It had taken him a while to pull himself back together. He lifted his sword and reignited his light spell; the cave was now even more unpleasant. Using the light Sunblade looked around again with new suspicions, he then noticed something that he hadn't before. It was a mark in the dirt like something big had been dragged. He followed the mark going further into the cave, two minutes passed and Sunblade discovered a dragon's body. It was the body of a large dragoness, she was dark pink with bright green scales.

Sunblade examined her closely and saw signs of battle. She had multiple injuries. Some looked very serious, others looked minor. Suddenly, his light sparkled off something in the she-dragon's left claws. He moved closer and saw a large purple egg, Sunblade realized that she must have used all her remaining strength to save her last egg. Sunblade looked at the she-dragon's face, surprisingly he found himself thinking that she looked pretty. Sunblade had never expected such a huge act of love from a dragon, and he felt very guilty about his actions earlier.

Now a very big dilemma was facing Sunblade. What was he supposed to do about the egg? He couldn't leave it, its mother sacrificed everything she had to save it. But he could not take it. If other dragons found out a pony stole one of their eggs there would be Tartarus to pay. Also, what if he took it and the dragon within could become a danger as well. He stood there battling with himself, trying to make a hard decision. Leave it or take it?

Just then something remarkable happened; the dragoness opened her eyes. Sunblade jumped back in fear and astonishment. How was she still alive? The she-dragon looked at Sunblade with her weak green eyes, and with great effort she slowly moved her left arm. She gently placed her last egg in front of Sunblade's hooves, she stared at him not saying a word, but the plea was still there. Sunblade nodded in understanding. She was giving him an enormous amount of trust and responsibility.

He opened his saddlebags, pulled out a dark green blanket, and carefully wrapped it around the egg. The she-dragon stretched out her neck and kissed her only child goodbye. She gave Sunblade a weak, but happy smile, closed her eyes and drifted away.