• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 1,734 Views, 34 Comments

The After Years - FoxMcCloud7921



Ten years have passed since Princess Twilight Sparkle took the throne. While she and her friends have had hiccups along the way, they now face their first true challenge as leaders of Equestria.

  • ...
5
 34
 1,734

Do the 'Do

After reassuring the guards she would handle things, Twilight led Applejack back to the throne room where the three of them could talk privately. “Alright Applejack, how about you start from the beginning?” Twilight asked.

Applejack began explaining how every month she’d get letters from other branches in her family, those in Appleloosa, Manehattan (The Oranges weren’t Apples, obviously, but family was family, regardless of fruit.), and in Hollow Shades. About two weeks ago, Applejack had gotten a letter from the folks in Hollow Shades and what caught her attention was how they mentioned some of the townsfolk seemed “on edge” as they put it - nothing major but oddly out of character.

“Did they specify what was going on?” Twilight asked.

“Not entirely, just said some ponies were talking to themselves, others were awfully agitated at any little thing, that kind of thing,” Applejack replied.

“That doesn’t seem like an emergency to me,” Spike shrugged.

“I haven’t gotten to that part yet,” Applejack said somewhat impatiently. “Just this morning, I received another letter from them - and mind you, that’s not common for any of us to do unless it was an emergency. Anyway, apparently a big brawl suddenly broke out between almost twenty ponies and it took everyone else there everything to calm things down, but thats not even the worst part…”

Twilight nodded and Applejack continued. “The ones trying to break up the fight, they saw those ponies up close and they saw in their eyes one of two things - fear and madness. Now you tell me Twilight, does any of that sound normal to you?”

Twilight put a hoof to her chin, deep in thought. “It does sound familiar…remember Hope Hollow?”

“Yeah, that town that lost all it’s color,” Applejack said. “Ya think this could be magic related?”

“Possibly,” Twilight said as she rose from her throne. “But there’s only one way to find out. We’ll have to go to the source ourselves.”

“Uh, we?” Spike asked. “You do realize we got a full schedule today right?”

Twilight sighed. Of course she remembered. “Yes you’re right…but we can’t ignore this. Someone has to go.”

“Well, I’m definitely going,” Applejack stated. “My family, my responsibility.”

“Very well, but not alone. Spike, care to write a letter?”

“Way ahead of you Twilight."


In ten years time, the School of Friendship had hardly changed, save for a few renovations on the inside and out. Attendance had certainly gone up since the first year and as such extending parts of the school had to be done. Then there was the teachers, since the bearers of the Elements of Harmony couldn’t keep up with their school jobs. In other words, Headmare Starlight Glimmer had had her work cut out for her.

Currently, she and Counselor Trixie were in the Headmare’s Office taking a break from their daily duties and eating a well deserved lunch. “You know, it’s funny,” Trixie began.

“What is?” Starlight asked.

“At the time this school was built, we had been friends for almost a year right? Next thing you know, we’re suddenly in charge of said school.”

Technically I’m the one in charge,” Starlight said with a small smile.

“Well technically I’m third in command,” Trixie said with a bigger smirk.

“Yes, if Sunburst somehow wasn’t able to carry on duties as either Vice Headstallion or Interim Headstallion and no, you’re not going to prank him with something.”

Trixie gave a fake gasp. “Starlight, I’m hurt. You think I would do that to a good friend like Sunburst?” Seeing her small smile, Trixie’s facade vanished. “Seriously?”

“Nah, I don’t think you will,” Starlight assured her. “But that does remind me of something I wanted to ask your opinion about: what if we decided to appoint Sandbar, Yona, Ocellus, Gallus, Smolder, and Silverstream as our new friendship tutors?”

“What’s wrong with the Cutie Mark Crusaders?” Trixie asked.

“Well, each of them have their own things to do now, especially Apple Bloom,” Starlight said. “Besides, who better than some of our own alumni?”

“Hmm…yes The Great and Powerful Counselor Trixie approves!” Trixie said. “But…why ask me instead of Sunburst?”

“The same reason I made you Student Counselor in the first place,” Starlight said. “You offer good advice so I figured you’d be the right pony to ask.”

Trixie blushed slightly before composing herself. “Well naturally, that is what friends do after a-AH!”

There was a loud bang as magic surrounded the center of Starlight’s desk and a roll of parchment appeared. “Hmm, I really need to put a dampener spell on that,” Starlight murmured to herself as she opened the letter and began reading it.

“I’m assuming that’s from Twilight?” Trixie asked. When Starlight didn’t reply, Trixie frowned slightly. “What does it say?”

“Twilight needs me for something,” Starlight replied. She then got up. “I’m going to be gone for at least a day so I’ll have to notify Sunburst immediately.”

“Wait, does this mean-?”

“You’re still Counselor Trixie.”

Trixie sighed and shrugged. “Oh well, you’re the boss.” She then smiled. “But I’ll make sure to run your idea by Sunburst.”


“Alright let’s do it again! Misty, you’re slightly out of formation on that second run. Dash, I know you’re more maneuverable than that!” Captain Spitfire was currently sitting on solid ground as the rest of her team was up in the air, practicing for their next show. It didn’t exactly help that it was so hot that their uniforms were starting to cling to their bodies.

“Is it just me,” Rainbow Dash said. “Or is Spits pushing us a bit harder than usual?”

“I’m not usually one to complain but…yeah she totally is,” Thunderlane said.

“Maybe we’re just getting too old for this,” Misty joked. “But yeah, considering the temperature I think she’s all of a sudden immune to the heat.”

“Old? Please, I feel better now than when I first joined!” Dash said with a smirk, as she adjusted her goggles. “Except for this uniform, its really chaffing-oh yeah it’s chaffing in a really bad spot…”

“That’s nothing compared to what I’ll do if you don’t hurry up,” Spitfire said, a small smile on her face. “One more time and we’ll call it a day, okay?”

“Yes ma’am!” the other Wonderbolts replied, almost too enthusiastically.

The seventh time proved to be enough of an improvement and it wasn’t long before everyone hit the locker room. Everyone seemed eager to hit the showers right away, followed by some much needed wing and back rubs.

As Captain, Spitfire had first dibs on both and was refreshed within fifteen minutes. “Hey Dash, when you’re done, meet me in my office,” she said before leaving.

“Uh, yeah sure thing, ma’am,” Dash said. She then looked around. “Is that a good sign or not?”

Fleetfoot shrugged. “I dunno, if she called you out multiple times, I’d say bad but I think we were all on equal footing today.”

“It’s probably nothing big,” Soarin added. He smirked slightly. “Maybe it’s the new ‘do, Dash.”

Dash suddenly blushed. “Oh come on not this again…!” While it had been a hard decision, her mane was starting to get a bit long and she most of it lopped off…only then realizing she and Spitfire all of a sudden looked very similar. “It wasn’t supposed to be this short so any resemblance is pure coincidence!”

“Well I think it looks good,” Vapor Trails said. About eight years ago, she finally got chosen to be part of the team and to no surprise, she quickly took to Dash’s guidance. Some of the veterans joked that she was just sucking up to her, but Dash wouldn’t have it.

“Thanks Trails,” Dash said as she finished her shower and went to her locker, grabbing her stuff before shifting her wings til she heard a pop. “As for the rest of you guys, screw you.”

“What, no back massage?” Misty said.

“Eh, I’m fine, don’t want to keep her waiting too long anyway.”

Dash made her way to Spitfire’s office, making sure to knock before entering. “Come in,” Spitfire said.

Dash came inside and shut the door behind her. Spitfire was at her desk, now dressed in her formal uniform and her trademark shades were covering her eyes. “You wanted to speak with me, ma’am?”

“At ease Dash,” Spitfire said. “There’s something I need to ask of you and…honestly this isn’t easy to say.”

It wasn’t like Spitfire to hesitate and Dash was growing concerned. “Everything alright?”

“Don’t worry it’s nothing bad.” She paused for a moment. “You know I’ve been doing this for almost fifteen years now, crazy isn’t it?”

“Hey, you’ve done a hell of a job,” Dash said. “Recruitment is at an all time high so the Wonderbolts won’t be short of talent anytime soon.”

“I know…but you know I haven’t been perfect. Sure, the good outweighs the bad but even so, I think it’s time for new blood to be taking over.”

Dash gulped. She knew what she was hearing and honestly she wasn’t liking it. “Spits, are you-?”

“I’m planning on stepping down as leader of the Wonderbolts in about three months,” Spitfire said, taking off her shades to look at her directly. “Don’t worry, I’m not leaving, I still got energy to perform and all that but it’s time we have someone new steering the ship. I think you’d fit that role perfectly.”

Dash blinked. Surely she was dreaming… “Wait…me? What about Soarin, or Fleetfoot? They’ve been with you since day one.”

“I don’t doubt they’d do a decent job,” Spitfire said as she got up from her desk. “I love them but they have their…quirks, so to say. Dash, all this time I’ve been watching you and I know you have what it takes to be a leader. After all, you’re much more than just a Wonderbolt…”

“Oh come on, you know I don’t mix work with saving the world and all that,” Dash said bashfully. She then sighed. “So your mind is made up?”

“Yeah, I’ve already let the higher-ups know. So…will you do it?”

“I…need to think about it, if that’s alright with you.”

“Sure, I mean you technically got three months. But don’t you dare make me wait three months…”

Dash chuckled. “Don’t worry, I won't need that long.”

There was then a knock on the door. “Come in,” Spitfire said. The door opened and another pegasus in uniform came in, quickly saluting to both mares. “Got a letter for Rainbow Dash, it’s from Princess Twilight.”

“Sounds important,” Spitfire said as Dash took the letter and started reading it.

After a few moments… “Guess she has a job for me,” Dash said. “Could be gone for a few days…”

“Don’t worry about it, we can manage without you,” Spitfire said. “Better get going, don’t want to keep the princess waiting. And Dash?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you. You’ve been a great friend and I wouldn’t ask you this if you were anything otherwise.” The two smiled at each other and did a hoof bump. “Just don’t do anything stupid okay?”

Dash smirked. “No promises there.”

“By the way, I really do like the ‘do."

Author's Note:

Hmmmm....