• Published 7th Oct 2019
  • 1,388 Views, 19 Comments

Friends Til The End - ShowShine



When two children’s lives crumble before them, they run away and find each other

  • ...
3
 19
 1,388

Best Friends

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long, I had a different chapter planned but deleted it

Gabby stirred awake, feeling the cold stone ground pressed up against her. She opened her eyes and sat up, let out a yawn. She looked around the cave to see that it was empty.

“Spike?” Gabby called out. She looked around to see that he was nowhere in sight. She then noticed that her backpack was gone, along with her blanket.

“He stole my stuff!” Gabby shouted in disbelief. They had promised to stick together and he left her. Gabby started to tear up. She trusted people too way easily and that always led to her getting hurt. She sat on the ground and hid her face in her hands, trying not to cry.

“Gabby?” Spike asked, making her look up. He held a net with four fish in it. On his back was Gabby’s red backpack.

“I thought you left me and stole my stuff.” Gabby stated. Spike shook his head.

“Sorry for taking your bag, I was using it to see if you had anything to catch these.” Spike said, holding up the net with salmon in it. Gabby let out a breath of relief.

“I’m glad you didn’t leave me behind, you’re my only friend.” Gabby said with a smile. Spike grinned happily and took the fish out of the net. He placed them on a flat piece of stone.

“Are we supposed to eat this raw?” Gabby asked, sticking her tongue out in disgust. Spike chuckled and shook his head.

“No, I’m going to cook them.” Spike stated. He let in a deep breath and blew out a large green flame. The fish sizzled, emitting light smoke.

“I found some basil and parsley too.” Spike said, crushing up the basil and sprinkling it on the fish. He reached into the backpack and pulled out a large leave that was bigger than his head. He fanned the two pieces of fish, making the flame go out. The two pieces of fish had been cooked to a golden brown color. Gabby’s mouth started to water.

“That looks delicious!” She exclaimed. Spike sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

“My mom taught me how to make fish.” He said. Gabby took a bite of the salmon, humming in satisfaction. Spike smiled and took a bite of his fish. Both children happily ate there food, filling themselves up before there journey. Gabby placed the skeleton of the fish on the flat stone.

“That was great.” Gabby complimented. A small blush appeared on Spikes face and he put the rest of his fish on the stone.

“Are you ready to go?” Spike asked. Gabby nodded her head and picked her bag up from off of the ground.

“Where should we go?” Gabby asked.

“I think I saw a path near the river. The path might lead to a town.” Spike explained. Gabby grinned and did a little leap of joy.

“We can buy stuff out there and find a place to stay for the night.” Gabby stated. She picked up the leftover gems that weren’t burnt and didn’t have any bite marks taken out of them.

“Why are you bringing gems with us? I thought only dragons could eat them.” Spike asked.

“Gems can be used as money too. The cost way more than bits and can buy a lot more things.” Gabby explained. Spike tilted his head in confusion. In The Dragonlands everyone just took what they wanted.

“What are bits?” Spike asked. Gabby gave him a look of surprise. She held his hand and led him out of the cave.

“I have a lot to tell you about money.”


Spike and Gabby walked down the dirt path, which was wet and muddy. Spike kicked a pebble that was in front of him, listening to Gabby speak.

“And bits are made out gold.” Gabby explained. Spike let out a gasp of surprise.

“Gold is rare in the Dragonlands, if you find it you can get robbed.” Spike stated. Gabby gave a confused look.

“In Griffonstone griffons are really protective over anything they have. It doesn’t matter if it’s worth nothing, you can get attacked for trying to steal anything.” She explained. Spike opened his mouth to say something, but his ears perked up when he heard a distant noise.

“Did you here that?” Spike asked. Gabby listened closely, only to hear nothing.

“I don’t hear anything.” Gabby said in confusion. Spike grabbed Gabby’s claw and started to run, pulling her forward.

“I think someone’s in trouble.” Spike stated, leading Gabby to the sound. Gabby’s ears perked up when she heard a crying sound get louder and louder as they approached it.

“Is somebody crying?” Gabby asked. Spike nodded his head, speeding up a bit. They soon approached a wagon that was flipped upside down. Wooden crates were scattered in the dirt and mud. Under the flipped over wagon, there was an orange earth pony stallion. His hind legs were stuck under the cart. He laid on his face, letting out muffled sobs.

“We need to help him!” Gabby exclaimed, rushing over to the wagon. She put her claws under the wagon, lifting it a few inches off of the ground. Spike rushed over to her side, helping her lift up the wagon. Soon, the wagon was tipped over and on its wheels, ready to roll again.

“Are you okay?” Gabby asked. The stallion looked up, his brown hair bouncing a bit.

“I think my leg is sprained.” He said, pointing to his right leg. Spike looked through the pile of rubbish that had fell out of the wagon. He pulled out a roll of ace bandages and walked over to the stallion.

“How did you tip over your wagon?” Spike asked, wrapping up the stallions leg. The stallion tapped his chin, thinking for a moment.

“Well I was going to Sludgetown and I think I was moving too fast. A bunny ran in front of me and when I stopped, my wagon flipped over me and landed on my legs.” The stallion explained.

“That sounds terrible.” Gabby said, petting his poofy hair. He sniffled and wiped the tears from his eyes.

“Done!” Spike stated, letting go of the bandages. The stallion looked at his leg and smiled.

“Thanks for the help kids. My name is Cheese Sandwich.” He greeted with a small wave.

“I’m Gabby and this is my friend Spike. We’re going into town to find a place to stay for the night.” Gabby explained, picking up a few crates and placing them in wagon. Cheese Sandwich put his hoof on his chin, thinking for a moment. He stood up and limped over to one of the turned over crate. He pulled out a small purple pouch that was filled with bits.

“I’ve been to this town a few times. There’s a nice inn there. You two should sleep there for the night.” Cheese Sandwich stated, handing Spike the bag of bits. Gabby and Spike exchanged glances at each other and both broke out into grins.

“Thank you so much!” Gabby exclaimed, hugging Cheese Sandwich tightly. Cheese Sandwich chuckled and hugged her back.

“It’s no problem, I know what it’s like to be on your own at this age. Let’s go, I can take you into town.” Cheese Sandwich said, placing the harness to the wagon on his back. Gabby flew after the wagon and Spike hopped on the back of it. This was all going to be great.


Spike sat on a large queen sized bed, reading a map. He marked out places they shouldn’t go.

“Spike I made us friendship bracelets!” Gabby exclaimed, handing Spike a bracelet. He looked at it to see that it was made out of colorful string. His was grey and light blue. He looked over at Gabby’s that was green and purple.

“It means that we’ll stick together forever.” Gabby said with a smile. Spike put the bracelet on and gave Gabby a big smile.

“I’ll be your friend till the very end.”