• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 1,557 Views, 52 Comments

Rainbow Streaks - DerpyJr

  • ...
3
 52
 1,557

Chapter 4

Tsss!

A glass shattered into pieces as it fell to the ground, bringing the attention of nearby ponies to the wide-eyed Lorio, who had backed into a table in his shock. No...not him...not now...please. He begged in his thoughts to himself for this not to actually be happening, for all of this to not be real...but it was. He felt the reality of it all too well. There, standing in the middle of the room, was Rainbow's dream, his worst nightmare.

"Mach! Where have you been?!" she yelled as she ran towards him at full speed.

"Dash? Dash, is that y-" he was cut off by Rainbow tackling him to the ground in a friendly, but still rather agressive, manner before she began to wrestle with him, both of them laughing and smiling.

Rito turned to his shocked friend and could only manage a lame joke as a means to cheer him up. "Well, you know what they say: 'Twas better to have loved and lost, than to have never have loved at all' I guess, in your case though, you didn't have her in the first place!" he smiled at his friend only to be met with a look that could only be interpreted as "not now."

The heart-broken pony wiped his face with his forehoof, sighed, and hung his head in a defeated manner as he trotted out the door into the streets of Ponyville under the night sky.

Rito followed a few steps behind him, silently cursing himself for saying such a thing to his heart-broken friend. "Um..." he hesitated. "I'm sorry dude."

"For what?" Lorio's voice hardly had any life in it.

"That stupid joke, it was uncalled for...and the thing with Rainbow Dash."

"Forget it. I think it's time I moved on. Rainbow needs a guy like him, with something to offer. I can't give her anything, she was out of my league anyways." The stallion's tone resembled that of a soldier who had survived a lost war. There was no hope, no need to keep going.

Rito couldn't bear to see his friend in such a defeated state, he knew he had to do something to cheer him up. "You can't just give up! How do you know she even likes that guy? It's been a while since Rainbow has seen him maybe he's changed for the worse or something! How can you say you love her if you're willing to just give up on her that easily?!" the usually goofy and nonchalant Rito was desperately trying to cheer up his friend.

"But...she was so happy when she saw him."

"Happy doesn't mean in love."

Lorio's head perked up a bit. "Maybe...maybe you're right."

"Maybe's are for babies! We both know I'm right!" he started to revert to his goofy self as he noticed his friend's depression receding.

"Yeah...yeah! I may still have a shot after all!" More life could be sensed flowing back into his voice. "I mean, what's the worst that could happen?"

"She could totally reject you, get with Mach and break your heart into a million pieces, emotionally scarring you for life, leaving you unable to believe in love and being alone for the rest of your life." he answered Lorio's rhetorical question with the worst possible scenario causing Lorio to hang his head once more. "I-I was just kidding dude! You got this ehehe..."



Back inside Sugarcube Corner, one rainbow-maned pegasus was ecstatic to see her long lost friend.

Rainbow Dash was wrestling with her long lost friend "This is payback for all the time you've been gone!" She had him pinned with his stomach to the ground.

"Well, if I remember correctly, racing wasn't the only thing I kicked your flank in." he snidely remarked as he flipped his foalhood friend over the side and pinned her back to the ground.

"Yeah, but I'm not the same mare I was since you left!" Dash managed to slip out one of her wings from the floor and forcefully flapped, batting him in the head and knocking him back.

Mach rubbed his head with his hoof, smiling at his friend letting her know he was alright. "I see you've been practicing huh Dash?" he continued rubbing his head and smiling, not wanting to give in to the pain he was experiencing.

"You don't even know the half of it! There's so much we need to catch up on! You have to meet my friends! We saved Equestria twice! Not too shabby huh?" she bragged a bit before continuing her rambling. "I have so many new tricks to show you, and did you know I could do a double rainboom just like when I got my cutie mark? Oh, and I can clear Ghastly Gorge just like you now...sorta. I've gotten so much better, I bet I could beat even you in a race now! " Her excitement reached it's peak when the idea of racing crossed her mind. "Yeah! A race! Let's go! You and me! Right here, right-"

"Dash!" Mach cut her off, bringing her excitement to a pause. "I'm really happy to see you and all, but racing is a no go." he told the still excited Rainbow Dash.

"Oh, well if your'e not feeling it right now we can wait till tomorrow! I don't want to kick your flank until you've had your rest!" she teased.

"No Rainbow, racing is a no go ever." He moved his face away from Rainbow in shame.

Dash sat there confused, wondering what he meant. Surely the friend she knew from her foalhood hadn't given up on the one thing he truly loved? The one thing the both loved more than anything. "What are you talking about? You love racing!" she shouted confidently.

"Yeah, but things aren't the same..." Mach spread both his wings fully, revealing one strong, pristine white wing on his left, and one torn wing missing a feather or two on his right. "...at least not for me."