• Published 16th Apr 2021
  • 304 Views, 5 Comments

8 Realms of Magic - AzuraKeres



A world with 9 interconnected realms, 8 arbiters are chosen by the Cosmic Tree that connects them. They must unite to find harmony and prevent the coming of a prophecized tragedy.

  • ...
1
 5
 304

EP 1: Where Destiny Lies|CH 12

Star was so taken aback by Ratty’s limp body that she didn’t notice her body jerk into a gallop. She crouched onto the shallow water and cradled Ratty’s body into her hooves.

“Hey, Ratty,” Star called for him, but he didn’t respond. His eyes were calmly shut. “Hey, you alright?”

Star noted the condition of Ratty. His body was stained with bruises. His fur frazzled and drenched in murky water. It exuded a horrendous scent that made Star want to gag.

How long has he been like this? Did stream carry him all the way here? He didn’t drown himself, did he?

Star carried Ratty in her magic and rushed over to a hill within the center of the chamber. She laid his body on the lump of soil.

The sound of flowing water clouded her ears. She resolved to press her ears close to Ratty to listen for his breathing.

It was slow and small. Star wondered if he swallowed some of the thick water.

Star patted her hoof on his cheek. “Wake up, Ratty,” she urged. “This isn’t the place to be napping.” He didn’t respond, prompting Star to continue her patting. It gradually became rougher. “C’mon, c’mon, c’mon! Please, wake up!”

Ratty’s claw jerked upward to block Star’s hoof. His face shivered and groaned until his eyes slowly peeled open before Star.

“Hm?” Ratty spoke weakly. He appeared confused and lost like a newborn. His sights teetered left and right until it fixed upon Star. “What the...What happened.’

Star surprised him when she pulled him for a hug. She buried his face into her dampened coat.

“Hold on,” Ratty protested. “Give me a minute to breathe why don’t ya? Yeesh, what did I do to deserve this?”

“You’re all banged up,” Star said. “And it happened because of me...”

Ratty pushed Star back enough for him to observe both of their appearances. “Hah,” Ratty chuckled. “Like you’re one to talk. Have you seen yourself? You look like someone threw you down a hill.”

“Like I care about that. You were barely breathing when I found you. I shouldn’t have dragged you here you like this.

Ratty rolled his eyes. “Oh relax, Star. You can clearly see I’m still alive.”

“But you wouldn’t be like this if I wasn’t in such a rush to come here.” Star lowered Ratty onto the small hill and sat next to him. She wore a frown. “Maybe Chip was right about me. I’m always causing trouble for every creature. Sometimes out of whim and also because of my lack of care. I just get so caught up in the things I want, that I never stop to consider the wellbeing of others.”

Ratty glanced at his sister and then sprawled onto his back. “Well, that’s not entirely true. Sure, you have a penchant for stirring trouble, but you always learn from those mistakes. It’s how you became a thief.”

“A pretty terrible thing to be good at, huh?”

“You’re mischievous. It’s just in your nature. But that alone doesn’t define you. There’s a good heart in you when it really counts. I don’t think I’ve met anyone that can be not only so selfish but also generous. It’s why I deal with so much of your shenanigans.”

Star chuckled. “Is this your way of cheering me up? I didn’t think that you take that big brother role so seriously.”

Ratty stretched out his limbs and yawned. “A real big brother will always have the back of their kin. So trust me, no matter what anyone or what you think of yourself, I’ll always see you as the bratty little sister I love.”

Star gave a small smile. “Who’re you calling bratty?”

A quake suddenly shook the world around them. The waters rumbled within the Cham led as rocks large and small came tumbling down.

Ratty and Star jumped to their hooves and feet. “This place looks like it’s about to come down!” Ratty shouted. “You might want to hurry to get that prediction.”

Star looked upon the chalices Cosmic root before her. She snuck from home and endangered her friends all for a small chance to know her purpose in life.

Her sight then shifted to the entrance she came from. She was certain it would lead back to the ravine where she left her friends. Friends who were probably worried sick about her and Ratty.

“Uh, Star,” Ratty called. “If you’re going to do anything, now would be the time.”

“We’re going back to the others,” Star declared. “I may not know my life purpose, but whatever it may be, I would like them to be a part of it.”

Ratty shrugged and hopped onto Star’s back. “Eh, sure, why not? Not like I banged myself up for nothing.”

“I’ll treat you to any nuts you like after this,” she promised.

Ratty widened his eyes. “Alright, but I’ll hold you to your word.”

Star rushed back into the rumbling water and came upon the exit of the chamber. However, when he drew close, the yellow roots emerged from the water and threaded the passage closed.

“Oh, you can’t be serious,” Star grumbled. She shot a red exam at the web of roots, charring but a few that were immediately replaced with new roots.

She shot a series of beams upon the roots, but the roots persisted to block her path. “Will you stop getting in my way!?” Star roared.

She harnessed her magic again, but her aura of red shaded in pitch blackness. Star unleashed a ghastly black beam at the roots, enveloping them in black flames.

The roots flung widely within the black fire and burrowed into the ground.

“Nice one,” Ratty commented with a thumbs up.

Star seized her opportunity and galloped into the entrance. “I’m coming guys!” Star shouted.

As Star and Ratty disappeared into the dark passage, the chaliced Cosmic root shined in the dark chamber. A tall lilac mare emerged from the root. Garbed in a blue kimono and flowing green mane, she smiled at the entrance where Star and Ratty escaped through.