• Published 16th Apr 2021
  • 302 Views, 5 Comments

8 Realms of Magic - AzuraKeres



A world with 9 interconnected realms, 8 arbiters are chosen by the Cosmic Tree that connects them. They must unite to find harmony and prevent the coming of a prophecized tragedy.

  • ...
1
 5
 302

EP 1: Where Destiny Lies|CH 4

A packed crowd of ponies, griffons, and elks gathered on the streets of Illuma as they applauded a carriage trekking between them.

A battalion of Sollothean guards marched by it, dressed in gleaming armors of gold. They moved in unison, a display of their coordination and discipline.

The shimmer of gold and silver embellished the wheels and body of the carriage. It dazzled with brightness so intense that it made Star briefly delirious, prompting her to defend her pained eyes.

A window of the carriage unveiled the source of the residents’ glee. Waving from within the comfort of the carriage sat Princess Gull Dawn. She was the Princess of Sollothus, an alicorn of light like her mother before her.

Lune Star was in no mood for her. She had better things to do than to gush over a spoiled princess. But, of course, it was never her decision to come.

Star let out a wide yawn. This was not the morning she wanted. She could do with being locked in her house, but be coerced to watch the Princess flaunt her prestige was tedious.

And of course, Hild would strike her with an affectionate chop for her yawn. Star quickly consoled her waking pain.

“Fix up that act,” Hild scolded. “This is an important occasion.”

“Are you sure about that?” Star snorted and cocked her head at the cheering crowd. “Cause all I see are folks pandering when they could do something more productive with their day.”

“What you call pandering is an encouragement towards our Princess. It is a reminder that we hold faith in her.”

“Well, could they dial it back?” Ratty complained as he rubbed his jittery ears. “All this noise is driving me nuts.”

The glossy carriage eventually made its way past Star.

The Sollothean guards noted Lune Hild and honored her with a salute. Hild reciprocated the gesture while Star could only spare a bored glance.

She now stood a few feet away from the Princess of Sollothus. Princess Dawn sat comfortably in her seat of white faux fur.

Folks regarded Princess Dawn as the uniter. The one would preserve peace throughout the realms as generations of her lineage had done.

Star knew the Princess was probably eating up the attention. No creature would flaunt her status more than the coveted savior of the realms. Well, presumed-to-be-savior, to be exact.

“Wonder where she’s been,” Ratty said. “I didn’t even know she left.”

“Princess Dawn is returning from Nimbus after a meeting with its ruler,” Hild answered.

“Nimbus,” Ratty said. “I’d really like to go there. I bet the clouds there feel better than silk.”

“Perhaps.” Hild responded. “Anyways, the meeting had involved a issue of a pair of criminals roaming about the Realm of Skies. They have grown to become problem for its residents.”

“I guess she helped catched them then,” Ratty said. “Shouldn’t expect less from the uniter of the eight realms.”

“On the contrary, reports have shown they are still on the loose. The Nimbussean military are struggling to capture them.”

“Then why is she back here?” Star asked. “Shouldn’t she be off rescuing realms from their problems as the uniter?”

“Watch your tongue, Star,” Hild warned. “You should understand the burden the Princess carries for the sake of the eight realms. As heir to the throne, she will bear the responsibility to preserve the bond between all realms. And it will be a difficult one to uphold because of the betrayal of Mutebis. Her burden is heavy.”

It was many years ago when the news of Mutebis’s betrayal appalled the realms. An act that befell an unknown tragedy of Queen Bertha, the Sollothean Queen.

“To this day,” Hild continued, “there is still an embedded mistrust between the realms because of that event. Our king has spent the years alleviating doubts and regain the trust that was lost. And soon, it will fall upon Princess Dawn to carry on that mission.”

“And what does that have to do with me?” Star grumbled. “It’s not like I play a part in her grand mission.”

“Whether or not you like it, it does. Her leadership will shape the fate of our realms. That is why she must know she has our support.”

Star felt a flickering fire inside her grow intense. She tried to bottle it the moment she laid eyes on the Princess, but of course, her mother would fuel the flames.

Her mother always placed the Princess on a pedestal. To Hild, Princess Dawn was like the most important thing in the cosmos. And, maybe she was.

But where did Star fit in her mother’s priorities?

“Then why not dump all your crummy tutors on her then!?” Star shouted. “Since she’s so important to you, why waste time with me!?”

Her shouting earned the attention of onlookers on the street. Star did not want them to look at her. Not like this.

Star gritted her teeth and made a run for it. She forced through the cheering crowd with headbutts and screams, wanting to leave the place as soon as possible.

“Star!” She heard the call of her mother. But Star did not want to look back. She wanted to be left alone.

She doubled her efforts to escape the crowded streets with her brother fastening tight across her neck. Her shoving earned the complaint of the residents. They demeaned her insults.

“Brat!”

“Nitwit!”

“Oaf!”

“You twat!”

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Star screamed from her thoughts. All of you are just a bunch sheeps. All of you blindly give the Princess love, but what has she ever done to deserve it! All she’s ever done is exist. I’ve done just as much!

Star managed to find an exit through the crowd. With her freedom, she continued to gallop, running from block to block in hopes of their cheer to dwindle.

Her wish soon came true when happened upon a bright alleyway. Not a soul in sight and neither a sound to annoy her.

At least until Ratty spoke, “Uh, you kay there? Things got awfully spicy there.”

Star sat and craned her forehead. “It’s nothing,” she lied.

“Oh sure. Shouting at mom and shoving through a crowd just screams of normalcy for you, doesn't it?”

Star stared at the cobblestone floor beneath her. And eventually her eyes drew to her brand. A mark meant to symbolize her purpose in life, yet tormented to shroud it from her.

No more.

“You know what,” Star said. “I don’t feel alright. But I’m going to do something about it.”

Ratty raised an eyebrow. “Like what?”

Star smiled at her brother. “First, I’m going to need you to run some errands for me. If everything goes smoothly, I’ll finally get what I’ve always wanted.”

And just maybe it’ll be much better than their beloved Princess.