• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 524 Views, 7 Comments

Fears of Bygone Eras - Lusaminia



Twenty-five years after Twilight took the throne, a young Pegasus finds her entire life turned on its head.

  • ...
1
 7
 524

Prologue

“So, this is how it goes, huh? All that work was for nothing. All that strain and death and blood and it lead to what? Some happy ending this is. Guess there isn’t really anything to do about it now, though, is there. I mean, we’ve already managed to destroy the world. It isn’t like there is anything else I can do to make things worse. I probably just bit myself in the tail, didn’t I?”

“I… I really can’t do that. That doesn’t sound like me. It never did, didn’t it? Why is that voice mine and why is it not at the same time? What the heck am I even doing, thinking that it was all for nothing. This was the best option, we knew it from the beginning. My blood brother, my sister, my pack, everyone made this sacrifice knowing full well what would happen. We did everything we could to make this option not be the only option, but we failed.”

“Guess that’s what I’ve always been, and that isn’t going to change. I failed to save so many, and I failed to kill those who were bringing harm. I was trained to kill, trained to fight, trained to hunt, and I’ve done nothing but prove I’ve gotten nowhere in life. I’m still the same blind pup I was when I was exiled, when I chose to spare instead of kill. Perhaps being stuck in the void of times is exactly the right place for me.”

“Wait… what is that?”

“H-h-h-hello?”

“Hey! Can you hear me! I… I recognize your voice but I can’t remember your name. I’m Silvia, who are you?”

“I-I-I don’t know… I’m too scared to think right now. I don’t know how I got here. What am I doing here? The darkness is scary. I want my mommy back! Give her back to me!”

“A child? Here? No, she sounds to old but… Okay, listen up, I think I see you from where I am right now. I don’t know where your mommy is, but I can promise to keep you safe from the darkness for as long as necessary. I give you my promise. Do you see me? The big furry creature in the void?”

“Y-y-yes. I-I-I think, but you look just as scary as everything else here. Your eyes, your teeth, and there is something else about you that terrifies me. I… I know you! I don’t know who you are, but I do at the same time. Are you the reason mommy isn’t here? Did you do something to her Silvia? Is it that magic I see around you.”

“So I never turned back when I died. Listen, Rana, can I call you that for now? I know I must look like something out of your nightmares, but I promise you I have no intention of harming you. My fur will keep you warm and comfy, and I’ll hold you for as long as we drift. Understand.”

“O-okay. I’m coming over.”

“Yes, that’s it, a little closer. A little closer. I think I can…”

“S-s-s-silvia, why are you staring at me? You look so angry when your staring. Is there anything I can do to help you or-”

“You’re… just a light! Not a wolf, not a pony, not a dragon or paradox, just a light!”

“Silvia, why do you look so angry? Do you… not actually like me? Silvia?”

“Forgive me, Rana. That was wrong, but you see I’m not exactly in a better position myself. All things considering, I just met the last moments of my life.”

“You’re dead? But then how can I be here? Am I dead? No, that would mean I could never join mommy again, or see my sister! I don’t want that, I really don’t want that!”

“I don’t know if you’re dead, Rana. This isn’t just the plane of death we are in after all, and truthfully no one else should be here, but it’s nice to not be alone. Come closer, I hold you while you cry… there. Light or not, you can cuddle up in my fur anytime you want. Tell me, Rana, you want to hear a story? We’ve got all the time in the world, and nothing else to do.”

“Sure. What kind of story is it? Is it a happy story.”

“I… guess you could say it’s a happy story. It may not seem like the best result, but the stories are never truly happily ever after. That’s what I always believed, because there will always be someone who disagree with actions, or the telling of it, or believe those who were wrong were right.”

“Well… could you tell me it, the story? I still want to know how it goes. I like stories.”

“I’m sure you do, and I would be more than happy to. Not long ago, in a kingdom much like the one we lived in, was a princess. The princess, being royalty, was to be given everything, as was the wish of her mother. Whatever toy she wanted, whatever skill she wanted to learn, she would be allowed it, and no one ever would tell her she was wrong. In the eyes of the nobility, common folk, and others low or high, the princess was always right, and she never knew wrong.”

“That’s… that sounds wonderful.”

“It does, doesn’t it? I sometimes wish of the world where I too was given all I wanted, but as I’ve come to learn there is no true happiness in that. The princess learn that same thing too, later in life, for when she truly wanted to challenge herself no one would let her. They saw her as perfect, but she saw herself as the most imperfect being that was ever born.”

“What did she do? Did she change their minds? Did she show them how she truly felt?”

“No, she didn’t. The princess had gotten to the point where she believed even telling them to not treat her as perfect would be useless. Nonetheless she was fed up with that life and with everything she had been given. So, she ran away, and by doing so lived a happy life traveling the world. She made friends and lost some, saved the world, and finally found a way to challenge herself. It was only when the princess knew true challenge did she grow, and she had finally obtained it.”

“That’s a nice story. I’m glad the princess got a happy ending. She deserved it.”

“Yes. I too believe that the path she would have gone if she stayed would only lead her people to ruin, but was it really the right choice?”

“What do you mean?”

“There is actually more to the story, telling about how in the princess’ absence her mother was left alone with nothing to hold on to. When her mother died, the kingdom fell to pieces, and with no heir to the throne it would fade into history and never be remembered.”

“What? That’s terrible! Why would that happen? Couldn’t the queen have just had another heir?”

“You see what I meant earlier about different ideas? It may seem rational to do just that, but imagine suddenly losing the most important person in your life? Could you just replace them?”

“No.”

“Exactly. As sad as it is, with every ending that seems happy there is always something that could have been better. That story is no different.”

“Silvia?”

“What is it Rana?”

“Would you be my mommy till I leave?”

“Why would you want that? I never really saw myself as a motherly figure, or someone who would even have children.”

“It’s just, I’ve gone so long in my life without anyone besides her, and it’s scary being away from her hooves. So please, Silvia, will you be my mommy till I find my way back to her.”

“Heh, you’re a strange one, that’s for sure. If it makes you feel happy, than yes, I would gladly watch you in her stead. Just never forget that she is the reason you exist, alright?”

“Right, and my name isn’t Rana.”

“You wanna tell me it then? What is your name, little light.”

“Luminous.”

“L-l-luminous?”

“That is my name, Luminous Oracle.”

“Silvia?”

“Oh no, if she is here then... what the heck actually happened to Equestria?”

Vaatidj presents

Fears of Bygone Eras

Author's Note:

And so, it begins...