• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 607 Views, 4 Comments

Drastic Measures - Tenshi



After years in Tartarus, Solus is broken out by Chrysalis and has to defeat the Elements of Harmony.

  • ...
 4
 607

A Pink Party Pony and Piano

“Here it is, the town hall!” Rainbow Dash announced, pointing to the tower-like building. She then turned to the two ponies and gave them smile. “Come on, let's go see if Twilight's here.” Rainbow immediately dashed through the doors, crashing it open, while Solus and Derpy just casually strolled on into the building.

“Twilight! Twilight!” Rainbow Dash called out with her hooves surrounding her mouth to raise her voice, while flying to different places to check if her friend is there. “Twilight, you in here?”

“Dashie!” a high-pitched mare voice yelled, with the tone of excitement in their voice. The three turned their attention to where the voice came from—except for Derpy, who turned her head to the opposite direction—and saw that the voice was coming from a pink pony under a balcony.

“Oh, hey Pinkie.” Rainbow Dash said with a grin. Rainbow then set her hooves to the ground in front of Pinkie. The two gray ponies followed suit, but you know, without the whole flying thing. “Do you know where Twilight is?”

“Twilight? Why do you need to see Twilight?” Pinkie asked with an obvious look of confusion on her face.

“It's about him, remember?” Rainbow Dash said, pointing her hooves to Solus, who was standing next to her. Pinkie then turned her head to the gray pony, who was also looking confused. He was mostly entranced by the pink pony's mane, which looked like cotton candy to him.

“Uh, hey,” Solus slowly started, but then focused his attention away from her man, “My name's Solus.”

“Soulless?” Pinkie repeated, confused by the name.

“Solus.” Solus corrected.

“Sole-less?”

“Solus.” Solus corrected, now pronunciating every syllable.

“Souly?”

“SOL-US.”

“Okay, Souly!” Pinkie Pie said, ignoring Solus' previous corrections, whilst hopping circles around him. Solus, instead of getting enraged, he decided to just let it slide and sighed.

Are all the mares in this town so quirky?

Pinkie then let out a smile and extended a hoof. “My name is Pinkie Pie, but you can just call me Pinkie!” Solus, although feeling a little cautious at first due to this mare's personality, he shook her hoof.

“Anyways,” Rainbow Dash interrupted, “Do you know where Twilight went?” But instead of answering Rainbow's question, Pinkie let out a loud and audible gasp, although a loud gasp would already be audible...

“Ohmygosh, you're new here right? I mean, of course you're new here, I haven't seen ever before. You know what this means? This means we should have a welcoming party!” Pinkie quickly said as she moved her head in all sorts of directions that COULD break the laws of physics, but didn't; and at the same time, Solus is just looking at Pinkie, mouth agape as if he was going to respond but is constantly interrupted.

“Pinkie.” Rainbow Dash meekly interrupted.

“Oh, but what kind of drinks do you like? Grape juice? Apple juice? Guava? Punch?” Pinkie Pie continued without stopping from her previous line.

“Pinkie.” Rainbow Dash tried to interfere again, this time with more effort.

“Wait, do you like cupcakes? Of course you like cupcakes, I mean who doesn't? Here, have a cupcake!” Pinkie Pie then pulled a cupcake with pink frosting out of nowhere and gave it to Solus. Solus slowly took it, a little nervous about Pinkie's behavior.

“Pinkie!”

“Where should it be? Maybe at Twilight's house! Or the Sugarcube Corner! Or-” But before the pink party pony could finish her persistent plundering of a plethora of plans, Rainbow Dash quickly stuffed her hoof into Pinkie's mouth.

“Pinkie!” Rainbow Dash yelled, now furious with impatience.

“What is it Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie asked, still with a smile on her face.

“Where did Twilight go?!”

“Oh, Twilight, she's at Applejack's; she said she wanted to help her and Fluttershy with the birds in the trees.”

“Thank you!” Rainbow Dash said, still annoyed. "Come on Solus, let's go." She then turned to face Solus, who had light smears of pink around his upper lip. Rainbow Dash stared looked at him with a blank face.

"What? I was hungry." Solus shrugged, now wiping his lips of any stains.

“Can I come along too?” Derpy asked, hopping up and down with excitement, her wings slightly spread.

“Uh, sure Derpy; let's go.”

“Wait!” Pinkie called out to Rainbow, who turned with a slightly less angry face. Pinkie recoiled to Rainbow's expression and, before, her nearly storming out. “We, uh, need help setting up the banner.” Pinkie then pointed up directly above her. The three ponies looked up and saw a barely hanging banner that read, 'Summer Sun Celebration'.

“I tried using a ladder, but it broke while I was putting it up.” Pinkie then pointed to a rusty and split step ladder in the corner of the closet wall.

She does know that's a step ladder, right?

“Ugh,” Rainbow Dash face-hoofed and stretched her face down, which made a snapping noise when she released, “Fine. But I better be getting a cupcake after this.” Rainbow then flew to the banner and took the box of nails that were near it.

Solus, knowing he can't really do anything since he needs his horn to recuperate, scanned the room. There was a large table, although there was nothing on it; it was probably where they would put the beverages and food. There was also a piano on the stage, which was under the balcony.

Solus then felt himself walking to the piano, but it was as if it was on instinct. It was like now his body was a magnet and that everything else had the opposite charge. Like for example, the ground.

When Solus made his way to the piano, he let himself sit on the piano bench. He looked at the keys for a minute, examining it as if he could see how the pendulum works and where each wire and mechanic was. He placed his hooves on the keys and slightly pressed on a few keys, the sounds making a soft rumble.

“Do you play piano?” Solus turned his head to the voice, which was coming from Derpy.

In the background, barely audible from Solus and Derpy, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie were shouting. “To the right...”

“I may have, probably when I was a colt.” Solus pressed a few more keys and it he felt like he could play a good harmony.

“No, no, to the left a little bit more...”

“I used to play a bit of piano back when I was in flight school.” Derpy said, her eyes moving differently every time she moved her head in various directions, “Not many ponies wanted to hear me play though...” Derpy said, looking upset.

“Actually, it looked better right, put it back there.”

“Pinkie, just make up your mind!”

“It's okay Derpy, I'm pretty sure you played well.” Solus tried to sympathize and cheer up Derpy. Derpy's expression brightened up.

“Hold on... Wait...”

“What are you doing?!”

“You really think so?” Derpy said with an agape smile, her irises glistening.

“Well, I haven't heard you play, but I'm sure you're a great player.” Solus said, giving Derpy his best smile.

“There! There! That's perfect!”

“That's where we started!”

“Thanks, Solus. Nopony has ever complimented the things I do before.”

“Don't mention it, we're friends.” Solus said, giving Derpy a smile, before turning back to the piano.

“You know what Pinkie, here!” There were then the sounds of hammering in the distance. “There, how's that?”

“Meh, could be better...”

Solus then felt something trigger in his brain, as if his brain automatically knew what to do.

W-what? Solus' hooves then started to press the keys with actual effort rather than restraint. Suddenly, in the background, the door crashes open and reveals a white unicorn with an unkempt cobalt blue with cyan striped mane. She also had a pair of heliotrope sunglasses with lighter streaks that fully covered both of her eyes. There were also a group of other ponies behind her.

“Hey Pinkie!” the white pony yelled to Pinkie. She then burped before continuing, “We finished lunch and ready for rehearsal!” Solus caught a quick glimpse at the loud pony before turning his undivided attention back to the piano.

Solus' hooves started moving on their own, making their own notes and rhythm. It was as though his body knew what the song was and how to play it. After about thirty seconds of his body playing it, Solus finally realized that the song he was playing was 'A River Flows in You' by Yirumare. Once he finally recognized the song, he had the flashback of back when he was a child.

His mother was an earth pony and his father was a unicorn. He recalled a memory with his parents giving him a music box for his birthday. He also recalled a memory of somepony—a filly specifically—calling out to him, reaching for him; but he couldn't do anything, especially since he was a young colt.

After that sudden sweep of memories, Solus decided to just close his eyes and go with the flow. The music coming out of the piano started off soft but eventually became loud enough for the other ponies to notice it.

After about three minutes, he played his final note, and removed his hooves away from the keys. There was silence, complete utter silence from everypony in the room. Solus opened his eyes and turned his head towards the 'audience'. Everypony besides Derpy—who wasn't there for some reason—looked at him with astonishment, a few of the other ponies had their mouths agape.

“Rainbow Dash,” Solus spoke. Rainbow Dash blinked in surprise. Solus took this as an acknowledgment and continued, “I remember something.”

“Hey, what does this do?” a mare asked. Everypony turned to the sound of the voice and it turned out it came from Derpy—who was behind a set of speakers with records on top of them. She then pressed down on something, perhaps a button maybe.

“Wait,” the white unicorn yelled in fear, raising her hoof to Derpy, “Don't touch that; that's my-!” But before the white pony could finish her sentence, the speakers lifted and split, as if to reveal something behind it, and it did. It revealed what seemed to be a bigger speaker.

Then, in an instant, a giant blue beam shot out of the speaker--which also gave off the sound of what Solus thought was supposed to be music in a lower pitch--and, unfortunately, targeted at Solus.

Oh great. Goodbye, eardrums.

Due to the elevation, Solus was launched into the air, through the roof, and into the sky.

“Bass-cannon...” the white unicorn finished.


Solus opened his eyes, since he braced for the impact of the sound beam, and found himself soaring through the sky. His eyes widened as he felt the strong force of wind driving to and under his back and head. He then turned his body to face the ground and saw that he was over a great number of apple trees, which only seemed to get bigger as his speed and velocity soon died down.

Oh sweet Celestia, why me?

"AHHHHHH!" Solus screamed, something that usually happens when he's falling at desceptively high speeds into an apple tree. "Oof!" Solus grunted as his back slammed into one of the branches. Solus' ears went ringing for the second time today. and his vision went blurry. Solus felt as though he had drank something potent like too much dandelion wine or colt scotch.

"Ah think he landed hear!" Solus barely heard a mare yell in the distance, although he could clearly hear identify the mare's southern accent. He then heard the sounds of multiple ponies galloping under him. All Solus wanted to do then was to take a break, a rest; but his break was cut brief by the shaking of the tree he was on.

Ah! What the hay!

Solus quickly got up from being on his back to tugging onto the branch for safety. Solus could then hear the sounds of grunting under him as the tree would briefly shake and assumed they were trying to buck him down the tree. It seemed everypony wanted to keep him restless.

They can buck all they want, but they'll never get me while I'm up on this sturdy branch!

But, innevitably, the branch cracked and fell to the ground, carrying Solus along with it. Solus hit the ground on his back with a thud, the branch then landing on him a few seconds after. After a few moments of pain, he slowly opened his eyes to see three ponies looking down at him. The one in the middle had an orange coat and blonde mane; the one to Solus' right had a yellow coat and pink mane, and the pony to his left had a lavender coat and purple mane with pink highlights.

I shouldn't have ate that cupcake...