• Published 11th Aug 2019
  • 505 Views, 2 Comments

New Era - Atlantean



After graduating from the School of Friendship Ocellus was picked to be Twilight's personal student

  • ...
 2
 505

Chapter Four

Ocellus strolled the streets of Griffinstone, on her way to meet with Gallus. She hoped to get his help in proving that the Aquinains were after the idol. The street ahead was blocked off with construction, as were a few of the side paths.

With a quick look around, Ocellus knew she would need to fly; before she could open her wings, a jar dropped in front of her. It exploded into a grey cloud of dust, her lungs on fire. She coughed and choked on the vile dust, and rushed down a side road without thinking. Even when she was clear of the cloud her lungs still burned.

Ocellus became aware that her chitin was covered in black powder; she felt light-headed and thinking was proving difficult. It was then she heard something move on the roofs above her; at first, she thought it was just one but the sounds were coming from all around her. I need to get back to palace, was all she could think before she started to run.

With the black powder stinging her eyes she wasn't sure if she was heading the right way or not. All she knew was that she had to keep moving. She tried to use her magic, but all that came of it was a disappointment; whatever the black powder was, it was stopping her magic. No magic, can't out see to fly. Even if I could, I'm too slow to get away from a skilled flyer.

She turned down an alley hoping that it would lead to the main street, guards, soldiers, or anypony. However, it only lead to a dead end. Ocellus tried to wipe the powder from her eyes, so she could at least try and defend herself. It was useless without water.

The sound of things above and coming down the streets filled her mind. Ocellus jumped at every sound, knowing that it could be whoever threw that jar. The sounds grow louder and louder from above, and something landed on other side of the alley.

Ocellus's heart raced as the first blurry form came into sight, moving down the alley like a lion moving in for the kill. Two more forms glided down. She could tell they were griffins.

She took a battle stance, knowing that she had little hope if they meant to kill her. Still, she wouldn't let them see she was afraid. Ocellus kicked at the first form, missing before feeling a jot of pain at her side. Then another blow came; to her luck it was only talon fists. "Ha, told you she would try and fight!" That voice: she’d heard it before, but couldn't recall where.

"Fine. What was it, ten bits?" another asked.

The third stepped in front with a blade. "For the love of Boreas, kill her first before arguing who won the bet."

She backed away, bumping against a wall as she waited to feel the cold blade. Through her blurry vision, Ocellus saw another form, this one wasn't a griffin. "Help!" was all she could say, her last hope of that form.

The middle blurry figure glanced down the alley before reaching for his blade. "You saw nothing, pony, so move along before you get hurt.”

Another larger form moved beside the one at the end of the alley, before they started toward Ocellus. “Now, while I have little love for changelings, I hate brutes who play upon the weak.” Caecus laughed. “Really, it takes three for you to take on one mare.”

Caecus? Ocellus would have thought the prince would have kept walking and paid no mind to what was happening. “Ha, you really think three griffin warriors are afraid of two ponies?” He spat.

Caecus chuckled and seemed to size them up. “Warriors? You three are not fit to call yourselves that. Cowards is a better word for you three.” At that one of the griffins charged forward at Caecus, only for Caecus’s guard to knock the griffin aside and bring down his hooves a moment later. There was the cracking of bones and screams before the griffin went silent.

The other two griffins took a step back. One grabbed Ocellus, holding a blade to her neck. “Stay back!”

The mountain of a pony laughed. “Seems I was right, they are cowards.”

“Aye, Titan, they are though I do wonder if they know who that changeling is?” Caecus moved forward, which made the griffin hold the blade tighter to Ocellus's neck. “Careful now, wouldn’t went the ruler of Equestria tearing you apart would you?”

“Why would Princess Twilight care?” the other griffin asked, seemingly the more terrified of the two.

“Ah, I take it whoever wanted her head didn’t tell you.” Caecus moved forward again, before glancing at Titan. “Seems they must have been underpaid as well. I mean to try and murder Princess Twilight’s beloved student. Tell me did you have a plan to flee?”

The other griffin moved closer to his comrade. “No bits are worth the wrath of an alicorn.” His voice was filled with fear.

“He’s lying. I bet he wants the bits himself, or maybe he’s secretly a bug lover.” The one with the blade at Ocellus’ throat laughed. “That’s it, isn’t it? You fancy bugs.” Ocellus could feel the griffin reaching for something with his free claw. The powder, was her first thought, and a moment later the griffin lessened his hold and her and throw a jar toward Caecus.

Caecus caught it in his magic, and pulled the cork and smelled it. “Hm, cold iron and,” he smelled again, “ah, a magic bane with a hint of darkroot.” He placed the cork back in the bottle. He seemed in thought for a moment. “Tell you what, I’m feeling a bit merciful today, let… Ocellus go and I’ll allow you to leave.”

“That’s fair. There no need to die over a few bits, just let the bug go, Bronzewing,” the other griffin urged his comrade.

“Are you soft in the head? The moment I let her go, he is going to have his big friend there do us the same as Blot!” Bronzewing started to back toward the end of the alley, pulling Ocellus with him.

“Let me tell you the two ways this can end: you kill Ocellus and than I burn your flesh from your bones.” Caecus took a few steps forward. “Two,Three, you let Ocellus go, and fly till your wings fall off, and then start running.” He moved forward again.

“I have a…” There was a gasp from Bronzewing followed by a gurgling sound before his blade fell to the ground. A warm liquid poured onto Ocellus’ back before the griffin fell over, with talons wrapped around his neck and a blade stuck in it.

“There… now I’m free to go, right?” The other griffin cowered before Caecus.

“Aye, I'm true to my word, now go.” The griffin didn’t went to hear the end before he took to the air and disappeared.

“Thank you,” Ocellus said.

Caecus took hold of Ocellus in his magic and placed her on Titan’s back. “Nay a need for thanks. It is my duty to protect, even if they are a sneaky changeling.”


Ocellus laid in her bed. Her sides hurt and lungs still burned but all the black powder had washed off. For the most part, she had been left on her own, to rest in peace.

Twilight was enraged when she learned of what had happened and sent out a number of her guards to hunt for the last griffin attacker. She vowed to see justice done, before joining in the search for herself.

It was nearly nightfall when a knock came at her door. "Come in." Ocellus would have normally opened the door but decided that remaining in bed was the better choice.

The door opened, and to Ocellus’ surprise Caecus entered. He regarded her for a moment before leaning against a wall. "Tell me, did you know those griffins that attacked you? And why somepony would want you dead?" he asked after what seemed like an hour.

"No." Ocellus thought a moment." Well, one sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it."

Caecus was silent for a time. "May I tell you why I think somepony would want you in an early grave?"

Ocellus swallowed and hesitantly nodded. Caecus moved to a chair near the desk in the room. "If I was to guess, somepony of note didn't like how your blue friend was asking around. Don't look surprised. Titan saw you talking with him yesterday, and Aqua and a few of my father's guards saw him asking questions."

Ocellus wasn't sure what to say, but if Caecus was right then Gallus may be in danger as well. She sat up. "Your friend is fine. If I was to guess he is the safer of the two of you."

"How can you be sure? What if they’re after him now?"

"That would raise too many questions. Your death could be written off as a hate crime, and Princess Twilight will more than likely find the last of your attackers with a rope around his neck, come morning. In truth, all three were already dead once they returned for their pay." Caecus hadn't looked at her once while he talked.

Ocellus laid back down, thinking over what Caecus told her. "Why did you help me?"

Caecus remained silent for a long time. "It was the right thing to do." He turned to face Ocellus, with a regretful look. "I judged you harshly from the moment I met you, forgetting you still have feelings and dreams like the rest of us. So I ask forgiveness for that."

"It’s all right." Ocellus wasn't sure if this was some game, or if he meant it.

"And I would like to ask your advice in a matter, as I have little doubt you haven't figured out my task, if your drunk blue friend was any clue in the matter." Caecus looked back to the window.

"I... why?" Ocellus would need to talk with Gallus later.

Caecus sighed. "So I don't have to worry about you believing that it’s under Equestria. The Idol of Boreas: do you know who made it and when it was forged?"

"No, only that King Grover found it somewhere north of Griffinstone."

"It was forged before the foundations of Equestria were laid, by my forebears." Caecus paused and looked at Ocellus again. "It is of great importance that I retrieve the Idol. That’s all I can say right now."

Ocellus bit her lip, knowing she should tell Twilight but something in her knew that Caecus was offering her some of his trust. "Why not tell Twilight and ask for her help?"

"Simple, it too important to risk. I'm risking much by even trusting you."

Ocellus knew that she may regret this later, but if she helped then maybe it would lead to the lasting alliance. "Can I have the night to think it over?"

"Aye, it only fair to give you time to think." Caecus stood and took his leave.