• Published 11th Aug 2019
  • 505 Views, 2 Comments

New Era - Atlantean



After graduating from the School of Friendship Ocellus was picked to be Twilight's personal student

  • ...
 2
 505

Chapter Three

It was a surprise to Ocellus when she heard King Highever request to start the tour at Griffinstone. Now the once-great city loomed ahead, and many of the nests had beams holding them up, while others had given way. The griffin army worked to clear away the debris. Ocellus glanced around to see if she could spot Gallus, but he must have been in another part of the city.

All the king's party glanced around. Some seemed to find it amusing, like Duke Umbrawing. Others had looks of pity like Aqua. Others showed no emotion as they looked from ruin to ruin. Highever and Caecus's faces were stone, not betraying any of their thoughts.

Ocellus had learned as a nymph to watch and read the faces and motions of others. A sigh, a smile, where eyes looked, even how one stood could give away their thoughts. She had not noticed on the first day she saw the King and his son, but both carried themselves like changelings, tried to control their faces and movements. She didn't believe either had sinister intentions, yet one could never be sure, as Queen Chrysalis could greet you warmly, making one believe she was truly a friend, before driving the knife into your back.

King Highever studied the sight. The ruin and poverty were clear for all to witness. He turned to face Twilight. "There are many reasons this makes me uneasy at an alliance. It wouldn't take much to set them to rebel against you."

"I know it may appear that way." Twilight glanced toward the construction of new homes and shops. There was a mix of ponies and griffons working together. "But under my orders gold, wood, and stone, have been sent. Ponies and griffons worked to rebuild what was lost. Given time, Griffinstone will once again regain its lost glory."

Duke Umbrawing laughed a bit. "A sweet dream, but last I checked its lost glory included raiding pony towns and the enslavement of other races."

"Those ways ended long ago under King Grover," Twilight pointed out, "and none are eager to return to them."

"Are you sure?" Umbrawing gave a toothy smile.

"Yes, they are loyal to the Equestrian Throne," Twilight replied.

Umbrawing knows something we don't or he is playing games with us. Either way, I'll ask Gallus if he is aware of anything sinister in the works. Ocellus thought as she watched a few cubs playing around in the streets.

Ahead the street was blocked by cart whose wheel had fallen off. Goods were spilled out on the ground, and nopony was helping the cart owner. Most of it was baked goods with a few odds and ends. The owner of the cart was trying to move it off the street but was having trouble. Twilight looked to one of her guards, but before she could speak Aqua Dawn said, "Sir Phoenix, would you be a dear and help the griffoness?"

Sir Phoenix was a bat pony guard with deep green eyes, and a mighty pair of wings hidden under his cloak. He went over the cart and lifted it so the cart owner could place the wheel back on. Aqua was busy looking over the fallen goods. Once the wheel was back on the griffon gave her thanks moving out of the way. Aqua went over and spoke a few words and returned with one of the baked goods.

The main street of Griffinstone passed by the rebuilt library. Ahead, the royal palace came into sight. Once a place of beauty and splendor; now the palace was dull, with tattered banners hung from the towers. The wood of the gates was worm-eaten and the iron portcullis rusted. There were a pair of griffins with halberds that guarded the entrance of the palace.

Within the palace was cleaner but was still in need of some care. A good dusting and some fresh paint would give new life to this place. Ocellus thought as she looked at the old, cracked paint and ran a hoof over a dusty table. The throne room shut behind barred doors. The halls were dimly lit as the curtains were closed.

Twilight would open them with her magic as they passed, letting in the light. Dust floated in the air, the art hidden behind yellowed cloth. The rooms were one of the only things that had been prepared for their visit. It was still dusty and had been unused for countless years, but was the cleanest part of the palace. The beds had clean wool sheets, and the windows had been opened to let in clear air.

Highever and Twilight went off to speak in what was once the royal study. Umbrawing set about seeking everything wrong with the place, and Aqua sought out all the good. Caecus left with one of his guards to have a closer look at the city. Ocellus was left with little to do, so she left to find Gallus.

It took an hour of asking and searching, but she found him taking his lunch alone in an inn. "Hey, Gallus," Ocellus greeted him with a smile.

Gallus glanced up from his bread and soup. "Hey Ocellus, what brings you to Griffionstone?" he asked as Ocellus took a seat at his table.

"Oh, just helping Twilight give a tour of the kingdom."

"Hm, so it’s true. King Highever is in Griffinstone. What does he think of The Wing City?" Gallus dipped his bread in the soup.

"Well, he um..." Ocellus was trying to think of a way to make it sound better than it was.

"That it’s a ruin. Yeah, could have guessed that. Well, at least he didn’t come a few years ago. Would have taken one look and rushed back to his homeland." Gallus laughed a bit.

"It’s not that bad. I mean, the palace could use some cleaning, but he could see ponies and griffins working together. I'm sure that said a lot to him." Ocellus was still unsure of what the king really thought.

"What, that we need outside help to repair our own city?" Gallus sighed.

Ocellus thought back to Umbrawing. "Um, one of king’s party said something that... that made me wonder if there is talk of a sinister plot?"

Gallus looked at Ocellus for a moment before he turned back to his meal. "When isn't there some talk of days long past, or some plot?"

"Are there any that the rest of Equestria should worry about?" Ocellus saw something in Gallus eyes, a fear.

"It’s just some gossip in the barracks. An heir of Grover gathering an army to reclaim his family's throne." Gallus looked up and smiled, "But that’s just idle talk. Last week it was somegriff who found the Idol of Boreas, but that ended up being just a wooden cup. Let's move to lighter things."

Once Gallus’s lunch was done he left to report back to duty, leaving Ocellus to return to the palace with just as many questions as she left with. As she strolled back toward the palace she spotted Lady Aqua taken in the sights. Upon spotting Ocellus Aqua came walked over to her. "It Ocellus right?"

"Yes," Ocellus nodded.

"Very good, it pains me that we haven't had a chance to speak yet." Aqua smiled glanced around for a moment. "Come walk with me."

Ocellus was unsure if she should as Twilight could have need or her, but it would be rude not to. "Okay," The pair started down the street past shops each with their good showing through the windows and a few with griffins shouting all manner of things.

"This is a lively city isn't, despite poverty." Aqua looked into a few of the shop windows as they passed.

"It not as bad as it appears." Ocellus replied spotting a few old books being sold. One of which she had been trying to find a copy of.

"Rarey are things as bad as they appear or as good." Aqua glanced to where Ocellus was looking. "Ah, so a reader, when the matter of the alliance is settled you simple most visit the royal library or the one at Tor they would take a lifetime to read through."

She seems confident that this alliance is going to happen. "That would be nice." The pair started walking again.

Aqua hummed a cheery tone as they walked, but stopped once she took note of Ocellus inquisitive look. "Oh, forgive me I enjoy humming when I sightseeing."

"No need to apologize, I was just wondering what the tone was."

Aqua smiled and glanced around at a few of the buildings. "Oh, it a silly little song about brad with the worse luck."

"I would like to hear it sometime," Ocellus mind worked to guess what some of the lyrics could be.

Aqua seemed to think a moment. "If I should find a harp I will be sure to sing it one evening." Aqua looked Ocellus over a moment. "Tell me what do you think of his grace King Aquila?"

Ocellus bit her lip knowing she had to be careful when she spoke of the king. "He seems like a noble king."

Aqua chuckled a bit. "Wise answer." She stopped and tapped her chin, "Then tell me how about Prince Caecus?"

Ocellus had a few thoughts on the prince but wasn't going to give voice to any of them. "He seems different than his father."

Aqua found a place to sat, "Aye, but if you should get to know them, you would say they much alike. Granted Caecus has a bit of his mother in him, but in truth, he is his is father's son." She patted a place next to her.

So his father is cold and distant, and is only acting, or is that his mother? Ocellus wondered as she sat down next to Aqua. "May I ask why Griffinstone?" She asked trying to change the subject.

"Simple, his grace has heard stories of Griffinstone and wanted to see it for himself." Aqua watched a few griffins pass by. "King Aquila was always learning of other kingdoms, of their heroes, artifacts and which races called them home."

Ocellus wasn't sure if she should believe Aqua, or not. "Forgive me, but I mostly go as Princess Twilight must be wondering where I went off to by now." She stood and bow a bit.

"Very well, mayhap we will talk more at dinner," Aqua said before Ocellus left for the palace.


That night she laid awake. She had tried meditating but it was of little help. Ocellus made up her mind to read something, so left to find the library. The halls were dark but she could see just as well in the dark as in the light. In the library were ancient books, tomes, and scroll. The tables were coated in dust and wax marked the spots that candles had once burned. At the far end there was a single flame, and somepony reading through the books.

She moved slowly to see who it was, her hoofsteps light so as not to disturb them. It could have been Twilight up late reading like she allows does. However, as she got closer she found it be Caecus, Ocellus was about to leave him be, but on the table was a map held open by books on its sides. It showed the edge of Grffinstone and a place marked with an x.

"Tell me, do changelings ever sleep, or do they just spy on ponies at all hours?" Caecus voice caught her off guard. His silver eyes showed a bit of irritation.

"No, I just... just couldn't sleep." Ocellus didn't glance at the map, instead trying to pick out a book title. All were about warriors, heroes and the lands around Griffiinstone. "I didn't think you would care about griffin heroes." Well Aqua did say he was like his father.

Caecus half laughed at that. "I have nothing against griffins, just their pride and idea of their rightful place in the world. My grandfather died fighting them, my father rules and protect those who were once our enemies."

"Yet, you hate changelings?" Ocellus said without thinking.

"Aye, your kind is two-faced, devious, take foals in the dead of night and leaves a drone. Griffins may enslave other races, raid towns, and villages but they have an honor to them, but not your kind. No, I bet you slowly feed off your friends and those around, like the monster you are. Black, blue, teal, green, makes no difference. Changelings are and always will be monsters," Caecus said coldly.

Ocellus was thankful that she was at the edge of the light, so nopony could see her sadness. "You... You're wrong." She wanted to say more, to point out how he was planning something, if the map was any clue.

The ruby in Caecus’s medallion seemed to glow, and for a moment his face softened, a flash of regret behind his eyes. Ocellus knew it must have been a trick of the light, but for a moment his eyes seemed to be a solid color.

"I highly doubt that."

Once she was out of the library she went to find somewhere she could be at peace. Ocellus passed by door after door till she came to Twilight's. Her mentor door was open and Twilight was awake and happily reading over a few things. "Evening, Ocellus. Come in," Twilight said upon taking note of her before looking closer. "Is everything alright?"

Ocellus smiled and entered. "Yes, just couldn't sleep."

"Ah, I know the feeling. First the king had many questions and the like, and I had to plan on things to show them. Oh, and the fact that I have been meaning to see what books are in the library. So tell me, what do you think of our new friends?"

That they are up to something and hate changelings. "I think they don’t like me.” Ocellus replied.

Twilight was silent for a moment as she moved the papers to one side. “You could have stayed back at Canterlot, I would have understood after how they spoke in that meeting. But I would have been them a few years, in fact I was. I believed that Thorax was not to be trusted, but Spike show me different.” She gave a reassuring smile, “If it any help, I think you could win them over.”


The last time a king, queen, prince, or princess stood in the throne room was well over a hundred years ago. The ancient throne sat at its back was shaped to resemble a three-pointed crown, with the lower half being like a nest. Below was the table that once held the Idol of Boreas.

"Humbler than I thought it would be, with griffins’ love of gold." King Highever studied the throne before turning to where the idol once stood. He ran his hoof over the wood.

"Grover never had a love for gold, nor hunger for war," Twilight informed.

Duke Umbrawing laughed. "I find that hard to believe if his imperial kin are any clue."

"Aye, and there are some that could learn something of honor from the griffins." Aqua smiled at Umbrawing.

Ocellus stood at Twilight's side, taking in every detail of the griffin throne. Next to the throne was a stand where the Crown of Grover once waited for the next king. Celestia had ordered the crown moved to Canterlot long ago, so now the stand only gathered dust.

Caecus was off to the side of the throne room where The window overlooked the western part of the city, with the canyon and forest beyond. Ocellus couldn't help but note that the windows were lined up, that one could take in the beauty of the sunrise and sunset from the throne. Ocellus walked to where Caecus was looking.

Caecus glaced over to her. "I'll give the griffins of old this, changeling: they had an eye for placement. From here there could see enemies coming from far off, more so with their sharp eyes."

"Um... Yes, I guess that’s another advantage, but maybe they picked it for the beauty," Ocellus suggested, but knew that could have just been a coincidence.

Caecus laughed a little. "Oh, this is a nice view, but this is nothing compared to Highever. Rolling blue that stretches to the horizon, the crystal water of the Novus, the forest of songs, and the red brick roofs of Aquinas." Caecus sighed but kept staring out the window.

"It sounds beautiful." Ocellus was trying to imagine, but knew the only way to know was to see. Which seemed unlikely, given how they seemed to have no trust of changelings.

Caecus turned and faced her for a moment, seeming to want to say something, but started to walk wordlessly toward his father. Once at his father's side, he said something before departing with a large earth pony guard.


Ocellus waited in the Golden Griffin Inn for Gallus to arrive. It was one of the few well-maintained inns in Griffinstone and was also the favorite of the Griffin Army.

"Another round on me!" an overly drunk griffin shouted.

"Where’d you get all that coin, some lost treasure?" one of the other at the griffin's table questioned.

"No my lads, better some pony asking all manner of questions." The drunk laughed. "Pays me silver for each bit of information." He took a big drink of ale. "The damn fool asked about the canyon so many times, you'd think he’d never saw one before."

The lot of them laughed. "Oh, you think that something? Wait till I tell you..." The innkeeper came and gave then each more another drink.

What is so interesting about the canyon? I know they can't be talking about Twilight, and the only other ponies I know of are the Aquinains. Ocellus made a note to ask Twilight about the canyon later.

It was another few minutes before Gallus entered the inn and took a seat across from her. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting long. With royals visiting the master-at-arms has been running us ragged." Gallus called for a drink.

"Understandable. So, anything of note?" Ocellus asked, hoping that Gallus may have been one who was asked a questions by one of the Aquinains.

Gallus seemed to think for a moment. "Other than spending hours a day shining armor and tending to weapons, not much." The inn keep came over with a mug of ale before departing to tend to his other patrons.

Ocellus felt uneasy about asking directly about the Aquinains. She bit her lip as she thought of a way to ask. "So have you talked with any of the royals?"

Gallus took a drink of his ale, then tapped his chin. "Yes... the one with the bad leg." He paused as he called for a meal.

One with a bad leg? "Um... do you mean Caecus?" Ocellus had seen the prince tending to his leg a few times, but wasn't sure if it was weaker than the others.

Gallus took a moment to think on the name. "Yes, that’s it. Prince Caecus." He laughed a bit. "Bet you two get along well, if all the questions about geology, history, and myths are any clue."

More than sure he hates me, Ocellus thought. "May I ask what he’s asked about in particular?" Ocellus watched as the inn keep brought Gallus his meal of stew, and found herself ordering some as well before the innkeeper left.

Gallus took a few spoons full of the stew as he looked around. "I think he was keen on the canyon, and the shop owner." He smiled. "Why, trying to see who can learn more before you leave?"

"You could say that."

"Well, hope you win." Gallus looked at the door as one of the Aquinain guards entered. Ocellus didn't know his name but had seen him a few times.

The earth pony walked up to the bar and took a seat. "Your finest mead, innkeep."

Ocellus looked at Gallus, knowing she couldn’t risk speaking any more about Caecus. "So, heard anything from Silverstream?"

"More then a few things." Gallus finished off his meal and drink. "If you're here next week Silverstream will be in town."

The thought of spending time with two of her friends filled Ocellus with joy, then a bit of sorrow knowing that she wouldn't be here in a week's time. "Sorry, the tour leaves in a few days, but we could try to get us all together after it’s over."

"That sounds like a plan." Gallus stood. "Forgive me but I should be getting back, otherwise the master-of-arms will have me cleaning the whole barracks again." With that Gallus paid the innkeeper and left Ocellus.


Ocellus took a sip of her tea as Twilight went through a few papers. "Very well done, I may have you continue your studies on Griffinstone after this tour is over," Twilight said, placing the report back on the table.

"Thank you." Ocellus looked at her hooves, trying to work up the nerve to ask about the canyon. "Princess, could I ask something?"

Twilight smiled. "Of crouse, what is it?"

"It’s... well, what happened at the canyon when Rainbow Dash and Pinkie came here?" Ocellus asked, rubbing her hooves together.

Twilight sat back and rested her head on her hooves. "It was years ago when the map summoned them here. Pinkie and Rainbow Dash could decide what the problem is they spit up, Pinkie went to speak with the griffins and Rainbow went after the idol. If I recall Rainbow was trapped halfway down the canyon for a few hours before Pinkie tired to rescue, lucky Pinkie talked with gilda earlier otherwise, I may have lost two friends that day. Why do you ask?"

Ocellus knew they had some trouble, but to nearly die over a silly idol? She looked at her mentor. She didn't want to lie about the reason, but how would it look if Twilight questioned the whole reason for the tour? "Just overheard something about it and wondered if it was true."

Twilight could only smile. "You should ask Rainbow Dash about it. Though you should probably take that version with a grain of salt." She chuckled a bit. "I'm just glad she wasn't with Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack when they went sailing that one time. I would still be trying to figure out what happened."

Ocellus laughed a bit, but couldn’t shake the feeling that the Idol may be what the Aquinains were after.