• Published 20th Aug 2019
  • 722 Views, 14 Comments

Beach Sunsets - BoredAuthor817



To make their last days together memorable ones, Sunset and Adagio go to the beach.

  • ...
5
 14
 722

Chapter 1

“Take it away.”

“But, you've barely eaten in days.”

“I said: Take it away.”

A soft whimper sounded as Sunset sadly turned to return the tray to the kitchen.

“Sunset,” she motioned for her girlfriend. Once within arm's reach, she grabbed a piece of buttered toast.

Sunset's face lit up. “You are hungry!”

“No,” Adagio said between bites, “I just hate to see you mope.”

“It's been nearly a week and I can count on one hand how many times you've eaten. How are you not hungry?”

“Nothing tastes good. I might as well be eating sand,” she popped the last piece into her mouth, wiping her hands on a napkin, “Whatever appetite I may have had, it's quickly lost.”

“What about water?”

“Acid.” Adagio cursed under her breath when she saw Sunset's eyes well with new tears. “Sunset, come here.” She pulled her onto the bed, holding her as tightly as her frail body could. “Now, what have I told you?”

Sunset sniffled and wiped her eyes, “That you didn't want me to worry.”

“Right. And what are you doing right now?”

“Worrying. But, I can't help it.”

“I know,” Adagio hugged tighter, “And I appreciate and love you for it.” She kissed Sunset's head and almost instantly regretted it. “Ah, jeez, could you please not cry? I've had enough with your wails.”

“I don't always cry,” pouted Sunset.

“You cried yourself to sleep last night.”

“You were awake?”

Adagio was about to utter a retort, but, not willing to face the impending waterworks, chose to change the subject. “Tell you what, let's do something different today. We've rented this beach house and we still haven't been further than the back porch.”

“We went out our first night. And this is only the third day.”

“You know what I mean. C'mon,” she gently pushed Sunset off the bed, “go get everything ready.”

With Sunset's help she got up off the bed and onto her feet. As Sunset grabbed their supplies, Adagio rummaged through her suitcase. “Where did you hide my swimsuit?”

“I threw it out. It was horrible.”

Adagio smirked as she found what she was looking for carefully folded and tucked away in a small compartment of the case. “You're horrible.”

---

Adagio took in a deep breath. The fresh, salty sea air was a welcomed change from what she'd been breathing the past few days. “Much better.”

“Yeah,” agreed Sunset, “we should open the windows more.”

“Would make the place a little less stuffy.” She wrapped her arms tightly around Sunset's neck as she was carried. She'd become so frail that walking, or standing, even for short periods had become exhausting.

They had purchased a wheel chair for moving about, but it was no good on the sand. For everywhere the chair couldn't go, she had to almost always be carried.

Not that Sunset minded. She liked the idea of holding her girlfriend in her arms. Plus, Adagio had lost so much weight, lifting her had almost been like nothing. The main problem was figuring out how to carry everything else.

“I think here is good,” Adagio said, throwing down the towels she had been holding.

Sunset kicked open one of the beach towels and gently lowered Adagio onto it. As she set up their little camp, Adagio watched the waves crash upon the shore.

“Just listen to that surf!”

Sunset smiled. “It is calming, isn't it?”

“Maybe to you. But it's a little bit more to me. I was born by the sea. In my egg, I was lulled by it. As I broke out of my shell, I was welcomed by its mighty voice.”

“Now I know why you wanted to come here,” Sunset said solemnly. She frowned slightly, “You came from an egg?”

“Sirens are closely related to dragons,” she smirked, “Silly mammal.”

“There are more? I thought there were just you... three...” Sunset winced. Aria and Sonata were still sensitive subjects for Adagio. Though it had been some time, the siren's mood always seemed to dip slightly whenever her sisters were mentioned. Even now, she noticed a sadness in Adagio's tone.

“There were more. Even when I was still in Equestria, most of our numbers had dwindled. I'm sure by the time we met you, my sisters and I were all that was left.”

“But, what happened to them?”

“Did you fail high school science? Creatures and species come and go. Equestria is no different.” She looked again to the water, “You ready to swim?”

---

“Bloody hell, it's cold! Don't laugh!”

“Why?” Sunset chuckled, “You laughed at me.”

Adagio huffed, “You didn't tell me it was this cold.”

“Yes, I did.”

“Did not!”

“Did too. And you'd better agree with me.
Otherwise,” she gave a wry smile, “I'm of a good mind to drop you.”

Adagio's eyes narrowed, “You wouldn't dare.” She was met with the feeling of Sunset's support coming out from under her. “Wait!” she yelped, “Hang on! Sunset! Shit!” She had just enough time to hold her breath before landing in the water and falling beneath the waves. The water wasn't very deep and it wasn't long before her head broke the surface. “Why you...!” she growled. Launching off the bottom, she sprang out of the water and lunged towards Sunset, striking her with enough force, to knock her backward and cause both to fall into the water.

Sunset coughed slightly as she rose above the water. She looked around for Adagio to surface, but couldn't find her anywhere. A panic began to settle in before an arm grabbed her shoulders from behind and pulled her back below the waves.

Sunset struggled with the other body before both resurfaced. Giggles erupted as the two bodies emerged with a salty kiss.

Sunset playfully slapped Adagio's shoulder, “What was that for?”

Adagio unapologetically smiled, “You can be such a demon sometimes.” Her lips once again met Sunset's.

“And you can be such a siren.”

---

Back upon the shore, Adagio sunbathed while Sunset enjoyed a cucumber sandwich. “Did you ever go to the beaches in Equestria?” she asked.

Sunset shook her head. “Not really. There are lakes around Canterlot, and I spent a good deal of time at those, but, nothing like this.”

“So, you've never seen the ocean?”

“No, I've seen it. Multiple times. Just never this close up.” She took a small nibble of her sandwich. “Do you miss it? Equestria, I mean.”

Adagio took a moment to ponder it over. “Yes, and no,” she said at last, “Yes, I miss the magic. Yes, I miss the various creatures. But, at the same time, from what you've told me, the Equestria now is not the same one I left. I can't miss something I don't know.”

Sunset took another small bite of her sandwich, “Would you want to go back?”

Adagio gave her a curious look.

Sunset fiddled with her bread, “Do you want to go back to Equestria? You only have to say the word and I'll make the arrangements with Princess Twilight. Aria and Sonata, too, if you so wish.”

Adagio let out a sigh. “Sonata, I know, would have wanted to go back. Aria? Well, she was always fickle. Though, I'd really hate to separate those two.”

Sunset slowly nodded, “Well, just think it over and let me know.”

“Sunset,”

“Yes?”

“Are you about done? I want to swim some more.”

Sunset began to clean up her area, “Can you walk? Or do you want to be carried?”

“That depends. Are you gonna drop me again?”

A smile crossed Sunset's lips, “That depends.”

---

As the day came to an end, the pair returned to the house to watch the sunset from the comfort of the back porch. They snuggled closely together, cups of hot chocolate between them, Sunset's head gently laid upon Adagio's shoulder.

“Don't fall asleep on me,” Adagio smirked, “I need you to help me inside.”

“Really?” Sunset teased, “A big, bad siren like you needs help?”

“The word is 'reformed'.”

Sunset giggled, gently caressing her girlfriend, “That's not what you made me call you the other night.”

Adagio rolled her eyes, fighting back a smile, “You are so hopeless.”

“You mean hopelessly in love.” She leaned up for a kiss.

“If that's what you want to call it.”