• Published 28th Jul 2019
  • 298 Views, 45 Comments

Trail Blazer - MagicS



In the early days of Equestria shortly after the three tribes came together, one pony has been given the mission to travel the new country to explore and map out the new home of ponies. That pony is Trail Blazer.

  • ...
0
 45
 298

The Troublesome

The difference between a swamp and a marsh was now readily apparent to the two stallions who were unfamiliar with either just a few days previously.

For a full three days the party had been traveling through this swamp. Through the gross water, the reeds, making their way around twisted trees and trying not to get stuck in the mud. The dark trees were clustered so close together and their branches went so wide that even during the day light struggled to break through them, casting the entirety of the swamp into a perpetual twilight. Combined with the fog and mist that lay like a blanket over the surface of the water and it was an eerie place. Not a place any of them would expect ponies would want to live.

Yet this was part of Equestria as well and needed to be traveled and mapped just like any other place. And who knows. Maybe some ponies would find it charming?

Regardless of anything else, Trail Blazer had been taking fervent notes on anything she saw. The plants, the animals, the size and shape of the swamp, she was making sure she had a detailed description of it for her map. Just a rough outline of the area the swamp covered wouldn’t be good enough for their purposes. It truly needed to be explored because an unknown swamp was too treacherous of a place. And because the swamp didn’t entirely reach up to the coast what they would do when they finished up in here was head east slightly and then north back up the remainder of the coastline, doubling back until they made it to where they could finally go west.

So it was a long and plodding journey they were taking through this swamp and Lustrous was already tired of it. Swamps were gross and humid and he now was certain that he did not like them one bit. What annoyed him further was how ambivalent both Trail Blazer and Steel Wing seemed about it. He knew they couldn’t be enjoying the swamp either but they were acting like nothing was bothering them about it, Steel Wing’s face was his normal expressionless one and Trail Blazer seemed far more concerned with her lack of alcohol. The map mare wouldn’t stop grumbling.

It made Lustrous think that her notebook may have been full of her repeatedly writing “I need a drink”.

A lot of times in this swamp they reached areas too deep or too dangerous to swim or wade through. So again Steel Wing would have to carry one of them at a time until they reached more solid ground. Lustrous was grateful for that, he didn’t really want to imagine what kinds of creatures might be swimming about in that murky water. But on the downside this really made the going slower.

Now the three walked single-file down a thin strip of mossy ground surrounded by bubbling green muck. Whatever that was it was certainly not something any of them wanted to fall into. Trail Blazer took the lead position while Steel Wing kept up the rear, his alert eyes always watching for anything dangerous that might try to sneak up on their party. Lustrous meanwhile had nothing but a vague disinterest in the swamp around him. He knew quite a number of plants found in places like these were used for medicines and magical potions but it wasn’t his area of expertise.

“I’m thinking I should have actually brought some of my books with me instead of just survival gear.” Lustrous said aloud.

“You seemed to really like books, I’m surprised you didn’t.” Trail Blazer said from ahead, although Lustrous could tell through her tone she didn’t really care. She just wanted to take her mind off her sobriety.

“Well I didn’t think any of it would be useful and I wanted as light of a load as possible.” Lustrous replied.

Speaking of his load though, Trail Blazer was right that he would get used to the weight shortly. He still got tired far faster than the other two and struggled with it up any sort of incline but the weight on its own didn’t bother him nearly as much as it did when they first set out. The humidity of the swamp and the slow pace brought on by the treacherous ground were wearing on him more than anything at this point.

“How large is this swamp exactly? And how will you know for sure when we’re supposed to turn back?” Lustrous asked the map mare.

“I’ll know. When it goes from a swamp to a jungle we turn to the coast. As for how large it is how should I know? That’s what we’re here for.”

“So you’ll be able to tell exactly when the swamp ends and the jungle begins?”

“Yes, now stop asking me questions.” She was getting grumpy.

He figured it was better not to push her in this situation. The last thing they needed was for her to just lose all motivation for anything and prolong their stay in this swamp. Not like her mood would get any better unless she had a drink though. Maybe they’d get lucky and find some hermit living in the swamp that has alcohol of some sort?

“I just hope we don’t have to spend another night in here.” Lustrous muttered.

Compared to the cold nights spent with them camping along the coast the nights in this swamp so far had been too hot. The trees locked in heat and whatever gasses bellowed up from the swamp also made the air thick and humid. Add to that the three of them having to share a single cramped tent and the nights were almost unbearably steamy. At least they didn’t need to cover themselves with the itchy blankets.

Trail Blazer soon guided them to a much more solid and less wet part of the swamp, now it looked almost like a regular forest except far grungier. The dirty ground was covered in long grass that tickled their underbellies and small ponds covered with lily pads and frogs.

“I think we have less than a day before we hit the jungle.” Trail Blazer said as she looked around.

“Thank Celestia.” Lustrous whined.

“We should count ourselves fortunate.” Steel Wing said from behind Lustrous. “I’ve been able to spot many beasts watching us in here but none have decided to come after us so far. Either way it will be good to leave this swamp and get someplace a little more safe.”

“You’re telling us that now?” Lustrous asked him.

“I didn’t want to needlessly worry you.”

“I’ve seen a few gators in the water but they didn’t seem interested in us.” Trail Blazer chimed in. “But come on, forget about all that. I’d like to get done with this place before nightfall too.”

Trail Blazer led them on again through the water-logged brush, the quick reprieve of solid ground soon gave way again to soggy dirt and knee-high water buzzing with mosquitoes. Trail Blazer didn’t seem to care at all and Steel Wing had started hovering slightly above the both of them to get a better view of their surroundings in case there was anything dangerous hiding in the shallow waters.

“Wait, hold on.” The pegasus suddenly said, pointing directly ahead. “I see something strange.”

“What is it?” Trail Blazer asked.

“It looks like a path has been made through the brush ahead, I can see a worn trail in the grass.” He replied.

“It’s probably an animal trail.” Trail Blazer said to him. “But we can check to make sure. If there are any ponies or even something like zebras or griffons living in here for whatever reason that’s probably something Big Cheese and the others are gonna want to know.”

The three headed along the way, coming to another clearing where Steel Wing saw the path up ahead. He floated down to the ground with the others and the three went over to inspect it. Whatever it was it lead into the more tree-filled part of the swamp, away from the murky waters. Lustrous couldn’t tell the difference if it was made by some sort of animal or by ponies but Trail Blazer could. She only had to look it up and down for a second before being sure of it.

“Alright, you were right to call our attention to this.” Trail Blazer said. “This is definitely a pony-made path.”

“How can you be sure?” Lustrous wanted to know.

She pointed at some indentations in the ground. “Those are wheel marks, someone has been pulling a cart through here. Repeatedly by the looks of it. And also, look at the branches from the trees over head.”

Lustrous did but he didn’t really see anything special about them.

“They’ve been cut by something to keep them from hanging too low.” Trail Blazer had to point out for him the branches that were clearly cut by something like a knife or clippers.

“I suppose this means we’re going to go look for whoever lives here?” Lustrous sighed.

Trail Blazer nodded. “That’s right.”

She led them down that path, hopefully it wouldn’t go very far and they’d find whoever used it quickly. The mosquitoes had gotten more active around here and the three ponies had to constantly swat them out of their faces, maybe it had something to do with the humidity. The temperature was rising higher and higher the further they went down this path.

The trail twisted and turned through the bushes and trees before eventually opening up into a wide, circular clearing. At the far end of the clearing a small wagon sat tipped over on its side and a female earth pony was lying on the ground next to it.

Immediately both Lustrous and Steel Wing ran out to her.

“Miss! Are you alright?!” Lustrous shouted to the prone earth pony.

“Hey wait!” Trail Blazer called after them, something about the situation seeming fishy to her.

But her warning was in vain as right as both Lustrous and Steel Wing made it to the middle of the clearing a net hidden under the dirt sprung up under their hooves, capturing the both of them and suspending the two stallions in the air.

“Ugh...” Trail Blazer facehooved. “You guys just have to be noble or something?”

She then heard a rustling from the brush next to her and another earth pony mare came out, holding a knife up to her throat.

“You just hold still while we gather up your friends.” The knife-wielding mare grinned at Trail Blazer.

The pony that was lying on the ground stood up and dusted herself off while three more ponies (all mares) stepped out from hiding spots in the bushes. One of them was carrying a length of rope and the other two helped up-right the wagon while Lustrous and Steel Wing continued to be stuck in the net.

“Excuse me, but what is the meaning of this?” Lustrous angrily asked the mares.

Trail Blazer couldn’t help but roll her eyes at him.

“We’re robbing you, what does it look like?” The mare that had been using herself as bait said.

Robbing us?! I didn’t think such ruffians as yourselves still lived in Equestria.” Lustrous huffed.

“Hah! That’s why we came all the way down here. Princess Celestia and the other bigshots were making things difficult for ponies like us. That Equestria you’re talking about is no home for us.” The knife-wielder said. “Us and our boss came down here to get out from under their noses, now we just mug any traveler coming through this swamp.”

“Look if you’re down on your luck perhaps we can work something out.” Lustrous said to them all. “You see my cousin happens to be the unicorn representative and my family is rather wealthy, we-”

“Don’t tell them that, you moron!” Trail Blazer shouted at him only for the knife-wielder to grab her by the mane and push the knife against her throat.

“Ah, ah, ah. Well now, that changes things. We were just gonna take all your stuff and dump you back out in the swamp but it seems someone here has a family that might pay a hefty ransom for him.” She licked her lips. “Alright girls, let’s take em to see the boss.”


The three travelers had been tied up (with extra rope wrapped around Steel Wing’s wings) and thrown into the back of the wagon with all their things and were now being wheeled deeper and deeper into the swamp. They would’ve almost been to the jungle border by now by Trail Blazer’s estimation.

“You just had to open your big stupid mouth, didn’t you?” Trail Blazer whispered to Lustrous.

The unicorn had the decency to blush in embarrassment. “I’m sorry! I didn’t know...”

“They were just going to take our things and leave us stranded in the swamp. Our situation may actually be improved now because of what Lustrous said.” Steel Wing reasoned.

Trail Blazer glared at him. “And you. You didn’t notice anything? I thought you were oh so alert and aware.”

“It’s clear they know this swamp well. They must’ve been watching us from secure hiding spots for a while. But I should have noticed the trap, I’m sorry, I was tunnel-visioned on the mare.” Steel Wing said.

“Well what about now? Can’t you get out of these ropes and beat them up or something?” Trail Blazer asked.

“I could get out of the ropes but… no.” Steel Wing grimaced, averting his gaze from Trail Blazer.

“What do you mean?” Lustrous questioned.

“I… refuse to hit girls. I won’t lift my wings against a mare.” Steel Wing said. The pegasus almost looking ashamed that that was the only explanation he had to give. He knew Trail Blazer wouldn’t like that.

“Oh for the love of...” Trail Blazer would have buried her face in her hooves if they were free. “I need a drink. I need a drink so bad right now.”

“Well I think that’s very noble of you, Steel Wing. Even if it is rather unfortunate in our present situation.” Lustrous frowned as he looked around at the five mares guarding them.

“And I think I’m about to lose it.” Trail Blazer ground her teeth. She turned to glare at Lustrous again. “Can’t you use your magic for anything? Break the ropes? Fire an energy beam at them or something?”

Lustrous raised a perturbed eyebrow at the upset mare. “Have you ever seen me use magic? I am not powerful at all in its use. I merely enjoy its study and academic applications.”

She groaned. “Are you saying you couldn’t even pick up a rock and brain one of them with it right now?”

“No, I could not.” Lustrous flatly answered at her.

“You really are useless.” She spat out at him.

Lustrous chose (not for the first time) to ignore her insults. She was just feeling a little worse for wear thanks to the lack of alcohol. That’s what he told himself. The mares who had captured the three of them were busy jabbering away about something, Lustrous thought he heard them talking about how much money they might be able to get for him and how happy their boss would be. It really didn’t bother him as much as it should. He just hoped this “boss” of theirs was reasonable and they could talk their way out of things and return to their journey. Now that he laid it out in his head that seemed foolishly optimistic though.

The wagon carried them into a dark part of the swamp where the sun was completely shut out by the greenery and puddles of noxious green and brown water sat everywhere. It was a miracle that the wagon didn’t sink too deeply into the muddy ground to move.

Before long they ended up in a grove where light again poured down, a large circle of trees creating an opening where a hundred ponies could comfortably assemble. But there were maybe only a dozen or so total along with the most rudimentary of stick-shacks and grass huts made for shelter and all manner of boxes and chests piled up in one far corner. As far as criminal hideouts go this one was rather low-end.

Interestingly enough all of the ponies they saw were mares. Mostly earth ponies but there were one or two pegasi and unicorns. All mares.

Except for one.

A pegasus stallion sat on a pilfered empty box in front of a rudimentary table made from branches, leaves, and dried mud. He had a rather vicious look on his face and was noticeably missing a few teeth. His brown coat was patchy and missing hair in some places while his golden mane was cut short in a ragged buzz. This didn’t look like a pony you would want to meet in a dark alley.

“I’d say that’s the boss.” Trail Blazer muttered.

Lustrous nodded in agreement while Steel Wing looked around the camp at everything. The three of them then had their wagon brought right before the boss’s table.

The dirty looking pegasus appraised his three prisoners before looking at the mare who had held a knife to Trail Blazer. “Well? Why’d you bring these three here, Notch?”

The mare, Notch, replied. “The unicorn says his cousin is the unicorn rep or whatever and their family is rich. I figured we could sell him back to em.”

“Hm.” The boss looked Lustrous up and down before fluttering his wings and jumping up on the table to be eye-level with the prisoners sitting in the wagon. The ends of his wings were frayed and ugly, he probably couldn’t fly long distances. “You certainly have a prissy enough look to you to make me think you’re some rich unicorn. What about you two?” He asked, looking between Steel Wing and Trail Blazer.

“Just an earth pony that travels and makes maps for a living.” The disgruntled Trail Blazer said.

“I’m just a normal pegasus.” Steel Wing answered.

The boss looked in interest at Trail Blazer. “Maps you said? You could be pretty useful to us. And you’re a mare too, perfect.”

“Don’t like other stallions involved with your business?” Trail Blazer raised an eyebrow at him.

He chuckled darkly at her. “Well the former boss didn’t have a problem with having a bunch of other stallions working under him. But when I killed him and took control I realized it was only a matter of time before another one of my “former friends” got the idea into their head that they could do the same to me. So I got rid of them first. And I’ve been leading my lovely girls ever since. I’ll be sure to make a place for you now too after we sell your friend back to wherever he’s from and get rid of this pegasus.”

“I have a question.” The recently referred to pegasus known as Steel Wing said.

The boss scowled at him, not liking being interrupted and especially not by some random stallion. “What is it? You best think before you speak or I’m liable to have your tongue out.”

“You said you killed your previous leader and then took over? And all of the ponies here were happy to follow you?” Steel Wing asked.

“That’s right!” The boss grinned at Steel Wing. “It was always survival by the fittest for us and the ones who came before us, since back when the windigos covered everything in snow and you had to fight for even the smallest scraps. My mares and everyone else know to follow the strongest.”

“I see. Thank you.” Steel Wing nodded.

And then he flexed his wings, obliterating the ropes binding them. With another tug he pulled the ropes binding his forelegs apart as well and leaped out of the wagon right at the boss.

“Notch-” The boss tried to yell before Steel Wing tackled him, taking the both of them off the table.

Lustrous and Trail Blazer both watched the struggle in shock while the other vagabond mares rushed over to see what was happening. Truth be told though there wasn’t much to see. The mares formed a circle around the two fighting pegasi to cheer their boss to victory and yell for him to kill Steel Wing… only for them to find Steel Wing’s powerful hooves already wrapped around the boss’s head and neck while he forced him to the ground, the pegasus warrior choking the life out of the criminal.

Steel Wing’s face was impassive as with a single rough yank he snapped the helpless boss’s neck.

The crunch was sickening and Lustrou’s jaw dropped in sheer horror. Steel Wing casually let go of the lifeless body and let it fall on the ground like a doll while the mares under his leadership looked on. They didn’t have any words for what just happened but Steel Wing did.

“You are now to untie my wards. Do it.” He told them.

Notch quickly nodded her head and ran back to the wagon, pulling out her knife and slicing the ropes holding Trail Blazer and Lustrous. Trail Blazer stretched… and then decked Notch in the face, knocking her out cold onto the ground before she jumped out of the wagon.

“Wave a knife in my face huh?” She glared at the other mares. “You got any beer or anything around here?”

“Y-Yes!” The mare who had been the bait when they first met her swiftly responded and ran off to the big pile of boxes.

“The rest of you can do whatever. The three of us are going to be leaving this swamp.” Steel Wing told the rest of the mares, they looked shocked and uncertain, not knowing what to do without a leader. “I suggest attempting to lead good and honest lives. It would be a great relief to me if you at least tried that.”

Steel Wing looked up at Lustrous, who hadn’t moved from the wagon. His face was pale and a cold sweat seemed to be running down his body.

“Lustrous?” Steel Wing questioned the unicorn.

“I-I… y-you, just...” He stuttered back and forth, unable to find the words.

“Oh.” Steel Wing’s eyes widened in realization and he glanced back at the corpse of the former boss. “Was that your first time seeing a pony killed? I’m sorry.”

Lustrous had had enough, his eyes rolled back into his head and he promptly fainted in the wagon.

Steel Wing floated up to see if he was okay but Trail Blazer was unconcerned. “Forget about him. Him being unconscious is for the best right now.” She said.

The bait pony came running back up to Trail Blazer, shakily presenting a large bottle full of a dark-brown liquid.

The map pony’s eyes lit up as she saw it, grabbing the bottle out of the criminal’s hooves. “Whiskey! Excellent!” She popped the cork on the bottle and started consuming the alcohol with a fervent speed.

Steel Wing frowned at her and looked over the unconscious Lustrous and all their things tossed in the wagon. He looked back at a few of the thieving mares who were still shuffling about like headless chickens. “Excuse me? But could you all guide us out of this swamp and to the coast? If one of you would pull the wagon that has my other ward inside it that would be helpful.”