• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 733 Views, 13 Comments

Eye's of the Dead - DiscardedHope



Eye's of the Dead is about the past of Ian; Kione, Radnoen, and Frostbite Rune..

  • ...
 13
 733

The Alchemist

The night was upon Equestria and all of it’s land. Everywhere, ponies laid in their beds and dreamed. Animals retreated to their dens, and nocturnal creatues awoke from their slumber to roam the cool darkness that engulfed their home. Luna's moon was in its place in the sky, bathing the landscape in its dull glow and in most places was the only light that could be seen. The Everfree Forest was silent, this silence only occcasionaly being punctured by the sounds of a passing animal. Amidst this dark silence was the ruins of the old castle the royal sisters had once used. Unlike the surrounding forest, however, the castle was not completely at rest. A light shone from one of the old ruined windows, and the sounds of somepony frantically working could be heard. There was one pony inside the castle, it was Radneon. He had been studying at the royal castle ruins in the Everfree Forest for quite some time now.

He lived there, working day and night. His studies mainly included alchemy and magic. He may of been just a Pegasus, but he was still fascinated with magic. It seemed so captivating to him. All ponies had some form of magic or another, earth ponies having their farming abilites and physical prowess increased, and pegasi having the weight reducing and wing augmenting abilites that allowed them to fly. Unicorns had actual control of thir magic, using their horns to amplify and direct it. Because their magic went elsewhere, they were not as strong or resilient or other types of ponies. But alicorns, they had it all. They had earth ponies' strength, pegasi's flying, and unicorns' magical spells, not to mention immortality. Radneon wanted this for himself, so becoming an alicorn was his greatest goal. He found alchemy to be interesting, because it’s like magic in a bottle. So he had decided that he would achieve his goal through alchemy.

This night was different from all of the work filled days he spent working on a ‘secret’ project. He has been working on this project for a year. It was costly to him, it required so many ingredients that are rare to come across. He had found the last ingredient earlier today. It was a bright purple rose with a red stem and he just stumbled onto it. It was peculiar, he found it on the way to the Zecora’s hut from the castle. He was going to ask where to find this plant, but he already found it.


Now, he stood over a bizarre arrangement of flasks and glass test tubes. Over in the distance, a large cauldron could be seen. The cauldron was filled with a glowing green liquid that was like syrup. He trotted over to it holding onto the flower with one of his wings. He peered down into it for a short moment, and tossed the flower into it making bubbling sound as it made contact with the goo. The flower quickly melted into the liquid, a few seconds later the red and purple blended with the green, and the entire liquid began to shrink. The level of liquid in the pot had been close to being full, now it was quickly lowering. The Pegasus looked a bit surprised as his creation slowly become smaller. After a minute has passed, the goo was shaping itself into a small cube. The goo stopped shrinking and left only the cube, which started to glow green.


“What…” Radneon mumbled, “Ok, that was strange. It doesn’t change its purpose to me.” He exclaimed reaching a hoof into the cauldron picking up the bright cube. “This will definitely make me an Alicorn! Oh what joy! All this preparation and endless work I have done, is finally being rewarded.”


He then opened his mouth wide, and threw the cube into his mouth. It tasted bland, but he just chewed away at it. He swallowed it and let out a loud burp. His body began to shake violently. His eyes began to change and become brighter. A second after the brightening of his eyes, his body stopped trembling. He then walked to a mirror that was on the wall next to the flasks. He was very disappointed as he gazed at his body.


“My eyes… is that all?” He yelled at the mirror, “I spent long months working on this and all it dose is make my eyes illuminate? What mockery is this?!” He then punched the mirror with his right forehoof, shattering it into pieces. His mind was racing with question, ‘What did I do wrong? Was it the flower? Was it me?’.


“Oh don’t be so crude…. The mirror didn’t mess up your huge project.” A male voice suddenly came from the back of Radneon’s mind. “I did.” After this was said, Radnoen’s body began to tremble again. He dropped to his hooves and peered at the broken glass on the mossy floor. There was something moving around the glass. Radneon knew what it was, but couldn’t believe it. “Oh so you do know me. How fun! How about we have a small chat in the chaos realm, it’ll be fun!” Said the voice in a sarcastic tone. Radneon couldn’t move, his eyelids began to slowly descend over his eyes. His eyes shut closed and his mind raced with imagination and soon he lost all consciousness.