• Published 22nd Jun 2019
  • 881 Views, 47 Comments

Dancing with Dust - WittyNameTFM



Moondancer gets outed, a new group of friends, led by Lightning Dust, show her it's okay.

  • ...
1
 47
 881

Chapter 2. Returns, candy and music!

Moondancer was waved over by Derpy and Lyra. She awkwardly shuffled to the table, she took her seat across from Vinyl who waved to get her attention. She cupped both hands in front of herself and turned her right outward toward Moondancer before pointing to her.

The nerdy girl adjusted her glasses. “Mm…” She frowned. “I haven't had the time to read up on sign language. I'm sorry, Vinyl.”

Vinyl shrugged with a smirk. Octavia smiling. “She asked how you were.” She said simply.

“O-Oh, I'm okay, I guess.” She poked at her food.

“You look like someone told you bad news.” Lyra piped up.

“Nothing like that...I'm just...concerned.” She looked around.

“About yesterday? She'll stay away if she knows what's good for her. Bonnie can kick serious butt...plus you got Lightning. And she's friends with Rainbow who has a tie to ALL the sports clubs...much less her group of friends which have connections to EVERYONE! You've always got someone watching your back from here on.” She nudged her.

“I...don't understand why you all brought me in so quickly…”

“We understand your plight, love.” Octavia spoke this time. “Truth or not, the girls at this table have been accused of many things involving the same sex, while some of us are now open about it…others find it difficult to decry it.” She explained looking around.

“People thought that me and Carrot Top were dating…” Derpy explained taking a bite of her sandwich. “While I was dating Bulk…” She pouted as she chewed. “Being called gay didn't hurt as much as people thinking I'd ever cheat…”

“What ever happened with him?” Lyra asked.

“We decided to break it off...when we made it to kissing, it just felt awkward…” She chuckled. “We both admitted that it'd be weird.”

“Any luck with anyone else?”

She shrugged. “Nah. Not at the moment. Huh. Maybe I should go see what Carrot is up to.” She giggled.

“Atta girl.” Lyra smirked.

“Where is Lightning?” Bonbon asked.

“She told me to come have lunch and I haven't seen her since.” Moondancer shrugged.

“Weird. Oh hey! Wanna hang out this afternoon?” Lyra asked excitedly.

“Um...I don't have any plans…”

“Awesome!”

“Not even going to ask if I was okay with it…” Bonbon sighed with a smile.

“You can make candy with Bonnie! She's the best at it.”

The girl blushed slightly. “D-Don't think you can flatter your way out of this.” She crossed her arms.

“Better than Sugarcube Corner.” Lyra nodded.

“Stop…” BonBon shrank more as Lyra praised her.

“I'd be interested in learning how to make candy.” Moondancer admitted.

“Sweet!”

“I don't mind.” BonBon said with a smile.

***

The cafeteria doors flew open and the entire room turned to face it. In walked three familiar girls, each in hoodies and jeans, their faces were paler...their hair seemed less vibrant, the orange curls of their leader even seemed lifeless. The subordinates dragged themselves behind her. The blue haired one looking ready to cry, but the twin tailed one seemed on edge, ready to defend herself...though the efficiency of her ability to was questionable at best. Collective gasps were the main sound that followed as they trudged through the room.

“The Dazzlings?!” Rainbow's voice shouted.

Moondancer turned to face the sound, seeing the trio make it to The Rainboom's table. The orange haired one raised her hands to emphatically slam them on the table, the sound coming out as a weak bang before the girls that flanked her caught her arms and helped her stand.

“Are you okay?” Sunset asked, concern taking over.

Moondancer hated to admit that she was curious...watching from her spot as the orange haired one opened her mouth, a pained squeak managing before she covered it and held her neck.

Vinyl's eyes widened behind her glasses, she pushed her chair out, moving to the other table quickly. Octavia stood as well, confused.

“Whoa, what was that?” Applejack frowned. “Ya alright?”

Vinyl quickly stepped over, waving her hands. She made a few quick motions with her hands.

“Uhh…” Twilight blinked.

“She said...they can't speak.” Octavia said, moments after arriving.

“How do you know?” Sunset asked.

Vinyl looked to Octavia. The cellist nodded.

“Vinyl is mute, when she was younger she tried to force sounds out...it caused more issues with her vocal cords. Those sounded exactly like what miss Dazzle did here. So, without hurting yourself...can you speak?” She asked, turning to Adagio.

The proud girl looked away before pointing at Sunset then to her neck.

“Adagio, you know we didn't plan that to happen.” Sunset frowned. “We had to defend the school…”

Adagio pointed at her then held her thumb to her throat and brought it across it slowly. Sunset shrank back from the motion, Rainbow stood by her.

“We're sorry, alright? You didn't give us much choice…” She defended.

Adagio's eyes sparked with anger, opening her mouth again, but Aria covered it, pulling her back.

Vinyl shrank away at the display...she was partially responsible for taking three voices.

“Please, let us refrain from violence.” Octavia spoke up, seeing her friend's discomfort. “We needn't raise a hand for this situation can be resolved peacefully.”

Adagio grumbled, turning her head away.

Vinyl tapped Octavia's arm, signing something quickly.

“Of course.” She nodded. “Girls, Vinyl wishes to help you.”

The trio looked around at one another before fixing a confused look to Vinyl.

“If your voices do not return, she wishes to show you three that you do not need one to be a talented musician.” Octavia explained. Vinyl dug out three tickets and handed them to Adagio.

“She has a show at the end of the week. Come see how she expresses herself without a voice. Music is not lost to you, you just have to find a new avenue to pursue it.”

Sonata shook her shoulder gently, Adagio groaned, the noise causing obvious discomfort. Aria rolled her eyes, taking one of the tickets. She looked to Vinyl before lifting her hand and making the motion of 'thank you’, surprising the table.

***

“Whoa, what'd I miss?” Lightning asked, taking a seat beside Moondancer. She had a bandage on her cheek...but didn’t seem to be in any pain from it.

“I dunno. The dazzlings showed back up and Vinyl went to speak with them…”

“But-”

“You know what I meant. Where have you been, and what happened?”

“Principal's office. Had to change some stuff around, don't worry, it was an accident at the gym last night. Sparring, I got knocked for a loop..” She shrugged.

“Oh...okay...I guess, but what did you need to change around?”

“Oh, I'm in a few classes with that bully. I'd get in a lot of trouble if we didn't get separated.”

“I see…”

“Hey, Dusty, Moondancer is gonna come hang at our place tonight!” Lyra said excitedly.

As she began to answer, Vinyl and Octavia took their seats.

“Welcome back.” BonBon smiled.

“Thank you dear. Glad that didn't escalate…” Octavia sighed. “Vinyl, are you sure this will work?”

She shrugged.

“Good to know you have faith in your plan…”

Vinyl pat her chest with a confident smirk.

“Oh...that confidence will get you in trouble one day…” She sighed. “But you have my support.”

Vinyl threw an arm over her shoulders with a smirk.

“Yes, yes, calm down now.” Octavia giggled.

“Cute.” Lyra said simply, resting her chin on her palm.

“Stop it.” Octavia warned.

“Okie doke.” She shrugged.

***

The rest of the day passed and Moondancer waved goodbye to Lightning as she headed to soccer practice, Lyra and BonBon joining her to lead her to their apartment.

“So you two live together?” Moondancer asked as they walked.

“Yup. My family...wasn't exactly happy with my lifestyle.” She said, looking to BonBon.

“My parents were okay with it...but Lyra couldn't afford a place alone...so I help her out. The money I make at my parent's candy shop goes into the apartment and our dates.”

“It's...unfortunate, but very sweet.” Moondancer smiled softly.

“And Bonnie's sweets are to die for. Oh! Maybe if you get good enough you can bring some for the others.” Lyra suggested.

Moondancer thought on it, cupping her chin.

“Light's favorite flavor is orange~” She leaned in, covering her mouth with one hand as if she were telling a secret.

“Is it?” Moondancer asked, thinking about what could be done with Orange.

“Lyra.” BonBon warned, hands on her hips.

The energetic girl sighed, deflating slightly.

“That...would be a good way to thank her for all the trouble she's been putting up with.” The studious girl mused, pushing up her glasses. Lyra excitedly looking to BonBon again.

“We'll get started as soon as we get home.” The candy maker smiled.

They turned another corner before Lyra pointed out the building, hurrying them along now. BonBon barely unlocked the door before Lyra was through it and off to their room.

“Welcome to our little home.” BonBon offered some semblance of courtesy.

“It's lovely, and the candy smell is wonderful.” She chuckled as she sat her bag down.

“Go wash up and get Lyra. I'll get the ingredients together. The bathroom is right across the hall from our room.”

“Thank you.” Moondancer walked down the hall, entering the bathroom, aside from a clothes basket that needed to be taken care of, the bathroom was neat and tidy. Likely due to BonBon. She washed her hands and walked to the bedroom, knocking.

“Sec, I'm changing!” Lyra called. After a few moments the door opened, Lyra wearing a shirt with sasquatch on it, text across the bottom read “Don't Stop Believing”. “Moonie, come look.” She pulled her in their room. Several fantasy creature posters adorned the walls.

“Wow. I actually have a few of these…” She noted, looking at the bookcase with different creature books...including a monster manual from a tabletop game.

“Really? That's so cool!”

Moondancer looked over her shoulder to a corkboard with red string between pins, several pictures of creatures and handwritten notes. “Is-...really?”

“What?”

“Isn't that a bit…”

Lyra followed her line of vision and quickly darted to cover that with a curtain.

“Don't worry about that!” She chuckled nervously.

“Girls?” BonBon called from the kitchen.

“OhheylookBonnie'scallingus!” She quickly pushed her out of the room.

Moondancer joined BonBon in the kitchen, the confectioner setting out different ingredients. “Wow, so professional…” She noted.

“I am a professional, you know.” She chuckled in response. “Now, take these and we'll get started.” She began, listing off instructions. Moondancer following each step.

After about twenty minutes her ears perked up at a melodic sound. She glanced over to see Lyra sitting at the table, strumming a lyre. 'Really? I get her name...but isn't that kinda...well at least it sounds good.’

“Oh, that's lovely Lyra.” BonBon said idly as she stirred.

“Thanks. I know you love a little music.”

“Why haven't you joined Octavia's string group? You'd be a hit.”

“Because I only play for the most important girl in the world.” She said, eyes still closed as she 'felt’ the music...or at least that's how she put it.

A small blush dusted BonBon's cheeks as she smiled into the bowl she stirred.

“How long have you two been together?” Moondancer asked.

“Hmm probably more than a year at this point.” Lyra answered. “Bonnie caught my eye right away. That adorable hairstyle...those curves...her legs, her eyes...how could I not be drawn to her? She was like the hottest flame and I was just a dumb moth.”

BonBon shrank more and more with each compliment, the blush darkening.

“How'd...you know you were...?”

“Gay?” Lyra opened one eye.

“Uh...yeah.”

“Never was attracted to boys...so I explored my options.” Lyra shrugged. “I never fell head over heels until I met Bonnie…”

“Much the same…” BonBon offered, clearing her throat. “And for the record, I also fell hard for Lyra...but only after she introduced herself.”

“Oh..? How'd that go?”

The music stopped and the soft smack of a palm meeting a forehead made Moondancer glance her way.

“Can we…”

“Go ahead…” Lyra said tiredly.

BonBon giggled, beginning to scoop out the candies into molds. “At the opening ceremony, she came to sit beside me, confidence exuding from her...she won my attention straight away...then she tripped and fell up the steps.” She smiled at the fond memory. “I helped her to sit with me...then to the nurse afterwards. We were friends from then on...maybe a week or so later she took the leap. I was flattered really.” She admitted. “Lyra is a very pretty girl...I didn't think I had a chance with her. Here we are.”

“Is it...out of the question to ask what happened to cause you two have a place together in high school?” She asked.

“It's...not a pleasant story, but we're in a better place now.” Lyra said. “Maybe sometime soon I'll go into it. We're having a good time, let's not bring the negatives in.”

“I understand.”

“So...is the rumor true?” Lyra asked, sitting up.

“I'm...yes.” She nodded. “It's...terrifying to admit.”

“Why? We're not out to get you...in fact we probably understand your concerns.”

“The last person I trusted enough wasn't out to get me…” She looked down.

“You think they told those jerks?”

“She had to…” She mumbled. “But...I don't want to confront her because...she'd be able to get out of it...or threaten to tell my parents…”

The girls looked to one another. Lyra giving a nod.

“Hey, you're out of whatever they could pull…” BonBon said, patting her back.

“Please. Don't tell Lightning about this. She'll get in trouble.”

“She probably will, but you shouldn't just let whoever this is get away with it.”

“I just...want to forget about her. I'm getting better. She doesn't have any say in my life anymore…”

“Well...we promise not to tell her, but if she shows back up, don't hesitate to call any of us.” BonBon finished the preparations. “Now...let's finish this up. You can give them to Lightning tomorrow.” She smiled softly.

“Yeah...thanks.” She smiled a little brighter.

***

BonBon handed Moondancer a small bag filled with the chocolates she'd helped make the night before.

“I gave them each wrappers and picked out this bag, the rest is on you.” She smirked. “Go get 'er, tiger.”

“I-It's not like that…” She mumbled, blushing.

“It doesn't have to be complicated. Just ask her.” Lyra pat her shoulder.

Moondancer got a gentle push as Lightning walked into the school. She tapped at her phone with one hand, the other in her jacket pocket. The shorter girl stumbled forward, with a glance, Lightning put her hand up to catch her. “Easy there.”

“S-Sorry.” She mumbled.

“Its cool.” She shrugged. “How'd Lyra and BonBon's go last night?”

“BonBon is incredible...I learned that Lyra is a very talented musician...and they're wonderful people that I'm happy to call friends now.”

“I'm glad for that. They're some of the best folks you can know, if you didn't get along with them I'd be a bit concerned.”

“Whatcha got there?” She asked, looking at the little bag.

“O-Oh! Its, uh...Lyra suggested I try making candies. I um...figured I could do something to thank you for looking out for me like you have been.”

“Moondancer, I’m not in this for favors y’know, but that’s really sweet of you.” She smiled softly, taking the bag. Some of the chocolates were misshapen, but others were perfect, it was obvious who was responsible for which pieces. “They look good, despite it being your first go at it.” She teased, elbowing her gently.

“Yeah, yeah...just...thanks for everything.”

“Anytime.” She pat her head, mussing her hair with a smirk...though the light red on her cheeks did not escape Moondancer’s keen eye.

When the athlete rested her arm around her shoulders as they walked, she shrank, red dusting her own. Plastic rustled as Light took one of the misshapen ones, the flavors weren’t mixed as well as BonBon’s would be...but her eyes lit up at the orange flavor mixed with the rich chocolate.

“Woah, my favorite, how’d you know?” She asked, leaning on the shorter girl with a smirk.

“Lyra.”

“Figured. She’s a busybody.” She glanced over her shoulder. “So, I hear Vinyl has a show coming up. Wanna go see it?”

“Yes! I mean...Yeah, sure. That’s cool.” She coughed, looking away to avoid the smirk on Lightning’s face.

“Awesome.”

Author's Note:

Chapter 2! I hope I'm doing well in this so far. I have a few more already done...so I'm releasing them over time as I finish the next ones.