• Published 15th Jun 2019
  • 486 Views, 5 Comments

Cellist's Secret - HeartfireFirebrand



Vinyl has been living with her best friend Octavia for a long time but her friend has been hiding some secrets from her friend.

  • ...
4
 5
 486

Chapter 9: Nightmare Night

I frowned as I forced myself out of bed, I had spent a large portion of the lats two weeks assisting Twilight with Nightmare Night preparations. Still I had a really bad feeling about the day as if my world was going to come crumbling down around me.

I shook my head as I brushed my teeth and mane, such feelings would have to be quelled. I was going to try and have fun despite how much I disliked this day, I trotted out of my room to find Twilight.

I trotted down the large Crystal Corridors only to bump into a strange unicorn that I had turned up a week ago for no apparent reason. She had a strange swirl as well as a star on her flank, she froze as she saw me approaching. I frowned “Who are you and why are you avoiding me?”

The mare tapped her hooves together nervously, I sighed “At least give me your name.”

The mare gave me a scared look “SSS-Starlight GGG-Glimmer.”

I frowned “Starlight Glimmer there is no reason to be afraid of me, from what I can tell you mean nopony here any harm.”

Starlight sighed “I’m not good with this social interaction thing, most of the interactions I’ve had with other ponies is the Anti-Cutie Mark Village I was running. I have a poor track record for dealing with other ponies, not to mention the time travel incident.”

Twilight trotted over with a smile “Starlight, I’m glad you’re interacting with somepony other than me. That is a way to make more friends, now if you’d excuse me I’ve got to triple check the preparations for tonight.”

Starlight sighed “I am Twilight’s friendship student, I have no idea about friendship or how it works. I have no idea why she forgave me in the first place.”

I smiled “You don’t have brightest of past, well that’s something we share. In truth I don’t understand friendship very well either but I’m learning slowly. Maybe we can learn more together.”

Starlight smiled weakly at me “I’d like that.”

I grinned “Well then let’s go to Sugarcube Corner, I’ll explain a little about friendship I’ve learned on the way.” Starlight nodded at me meekly, I raised an eyebrow as she was looking around nervously “What’s wrong, you’re safe here aren’t you?”

Starlight rubbed the back of her head “I get lost really easily in this castle, I am just staying close to you so I don’t get lost.”

I rolled my eyes and teleported us out of the castle, I frowned “Now first rule of friendship and this is important you must put the needs of others above your own sometimes.”

Starlight frowned “But how am I supposed to know when is the right time?”

I smiled as we trotted along “Well if your friend’s mouth is on fire from eating something too spicy you help her through it. I spent a whole day nursing Twilight when her mouth was on fire because she ate some Pinkie Pie’s Ghost Pepper Cupcakes.”

Starlight blinked “Oh, that makes sense. So help your friends when they’re in distress, but what about magic.”

I frowned “Magic is not to be used on others, it is a tool to help ponies. Nopony appreciated being cursed, so don’t do it. Think about how you would feel if they did it to you.”

Starlight nodded “Okay, that does make sense. Thanks Starry.”

We arrived in Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie bounced placing some cupcake in front of us. She grinned “These are my experimental Nightmare Night Cupcakes, I hope you enjoy them.”

I raised a hoof “Let me try one first before you do, as your friend I should make sure there aren’t any nasty surprises.” I took a bite, I grinned as the strong taste of manticore filled my mouth. I shook my head “Starlight, don’t eat it. Pinkie Pie put Manticore Meat in these Cupcakes.”

Starlight looked almost like she was going to be sick, she took a few breathes as I gobbled up the cupcakes. When Pinkie bounced out, I frowned “Pinkie you may want to save these for your carnivorous guests. Manticore is not typical pony food, I like it but most won’t.”

Pinkie smiled “Thanks for the feedback” she then bounced back into the kitchen.

I smiled “Providing advice is part of being a good friend but you must word it carefully as to not hurt their feelings.”

Starlight rubbed her head “This is complicated.”

I smiled “I’ll try to break it down for you.” Several hours later we returned to the castle after I had explained the nuances of friendship and general social interaction.

It was dark when they returned, I entered to see Twilight smiling at us. She looked at me “I’ll help you get rid of the bad memories of Nightmare Night.”

I jumped as I heard a bolt of lightning go off, my eyes narrowed as I saw Rainbow Dash in a Wonderbolts costume. She laughed “The look on your faces.”

I snarled “I didn’t find that funny!” I stormed off in another direction.

I heard galloping, I glanced sideways to see Twilight beside “I’m sorry for Rainbow’s actions. She doesn’t always think before she acts.”

I took a deep breath “I’ll be fine Twilight, I just need some time alone.”

Unfortunately fate would not be kind to me,. As we moving through I saw Princess Luna fly down imitating my form cackling evilly at the foals “Give me your candy or I will gobble you up!”

A fire burnt inside me (This what ponies thought of me, yes I liked my meat but I would never eat a pony.) I watched as she transformed back to normal, I was furious. I snarled as I approached the Alicorn with fire in my eyes “How dare you make a mockery of me!”

Luna growled “Who are you and how dare…”

I got closer as my illusion vanished my slitted eyes glaring at her “You get live a normal life while I have to hide, you made me Luna! Yet while you get off free with no restriction while I am hated for the crimes we committed. You wanted it as much as I did and then you forced all the blame onto me!”

Luna growled “I will finish you Nightmare Moon, you cursed mare!”

I put up a shield blocking the spell only to hear Twilight growl as she glared at me “So you were pretending to be one of us this whole time, Nightmare Moon! Trying to strike us while we were down!”

My heart shattered as I saw her horn charge up, the friendly face by my side now hated. I closed my eyes dropping my barrier as Twilight and Luna’s blasts flew towards me, I was a monster unworthy of redemption. I should have just died, I waited for a minute or two only for nothing to happen.

I opened my eyes to see Discord holding Luna’s blast in his claws while Pinkie was holding Twilight’s blast. Discord glared at Luna “What do you think you are doing?”

Luna snapped “She is a monster, she hurt countless ponies.”

Discord snapped back“So was I, I am on my third chance! So tell me why do I deserve three chances while she only deserves one!”

Pinkie spoke “He is right you know, I knew it was her from the beginning. Discord is our friend, why not her. She has been trying harder then you realise, heck she has been helping you. She has been by your side for the last two weeks helping you prepare for Nightmare Night!”

I looked about to speak when we all heard loud feral like howl. I looked at Luna, who looked back at me “Werewolf.” This night just got a whole lot more complicated.

Author's Note:

I hope you liked this chapter.