• Published 11th Jun 2019
  • 2,162 Views, 24 Comments

Broken Mirror - KatonRyu



Slowly, the magic faded out for the last time. Sunset sat slumped on her knees, staring through blurry eyes as the glow dissipated in the darkness. It was over. The portal was gone.

  • ...
3
 24
 2,162

Pieces

The phone buzzed. Sunset made no attempt to grab it. She continued to stare at the ceiling. Could she have done anything else? Had there been any other way to save everything? A way that wouldn’t have involved losing…her? To Sunset’s shame, she found it difficult to even think of the Princess’s name at that moment. For Celestia’s sake, it wasn’t like she was dead. It was just that…they’d never see or speak to each other again.

The phone kept buzzing. With an irritated groan, Sunset swiped the thing off the couch next to her and looked at the screen. Twilight Sparkle. She felt her throat tighten, her breath shorten. Of all her friends, it had to be the one sharing a name and appearance with the girl she loved. Just great. Should she answer? The two Twilights were nearly exactly the same. She could at least hear her voice this way… But no, that wouldn’t be fair. The human Twilight was her own person, unconnected to the Equestrian Twilight. She couldn’t use her closest human friend as a replacement for her girlfriend in any way, not even something like this. With a heavy heart, Sunset pressed the ‘reject’ button.


Twilight looked up at the dissipating clouds. Princess Celestia had ordered the weather ponies to end the storm and go back to their own shifts. Afterwards, she’d landed next to Twilight on the balcony, but after seeing the look in Twilight’s eyes she’d just nodded slowly and gone back to Canterlot. Twilight was grateful her mentor had decided to leave the lecture for a later date.

She knew that what she’d done was wrong, an abuse of her station, but she felt so much inner turmoil she needed this, more than she’d ever needed anything else…except for everything she couldn’t have now. The embrace of her girlfriend. Laughing together. Being close. Discussing magical theory. Making bets when Starlight and Trixie would finally hook up. It was gone, all of it. She should have known. Nothing ever lasts, after all. Princess Celestia had told her that so many times. But she hadn’t been prepared for this. She hadn’t thought that these happy days would be so few.

Star-crossed lovers. It used to be a phrase from her novels, nothing more. Now, she found herself applying it to herself and Sunset Shimmer. Of all the ponies in Equestria, and in this case beyond, she would have ever called star-crossed, she’d never have thought she’d ever be one of them.


Sunset was still on her couch. She hadn’t moved from it since deciding she was skipping school. The bright rays of the midday sun made it difficult to see the screen, but she wasn’t really watching anyway. It felt like a lifetime ago now, but this day resembled that other one quite a bit. Sunny weather, just a few clouds in the sky, gentle breeze. It had been as idyllic a day as it could possibly be in the city. Twilight had come over, like she’d been doing more and more often lately, and they’d hung out together, just the two of them. Nothing they hadn’t done before. They talked, laughed, played some games, and then, at the portal, when they were saying goodbye… Sunset closed her eyes, relishing the memory of the kiss.

It had been a surprise to both of them, and even now Sunset didn’t really know who had initiated it. All she knew was that she liked the feeling and that she wanted to do it again. At the time, she’d believed that she would get all the chances she could ever ask for.


The inside of the castle felt cold. It had only felt like that when Twilight was still getting used to it, still getting over the shock of the library’s destruction. Ever since then, it had become just as much of a home to her as the library or her room in Canterlot had ever been, but now the crystal walls seemed to exude a chill that went deeper than just the skin. Twilight knew that wasn’t really the case, but she couldn’t shake off the feeling no matter how hard she tried.

Not that long ago, she’d been here with Sunset, eagerly showing her the results of new research she was working on, or proudly telling her of all the lessons her students were learning at the school. At other times, she would talk about her anxiety of having to take over the guidance of Equestria once Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had retired, and Sunset would listen to her and calm her nerves. Twilight hadn’t been able to explain it then, but being with Sunset always felt different than being with anypony else. It hadn’t been until after their kiss that she realized what she felt.