• Published 9th Jun 2019
  • 1,388 Views, 16 Comments

URBC: The Legends of the Seven Tribes - Banjo64



Long ago, there were seven pony tribes. Today, there are only three.

  • ...
1
 16
 1,388

Intro: A Bit of Context

Twilight Sparkle looked at Apple Bloom in confusion.

“You want to read about pre-Hearth’s Warming history?” asked Twilight.

“Well, yeah. Scootaloo seems to know a lot about it, and Sweetie Belle’s definitely read about it by now. After everthin’ that’s happened lately, Ah just thought it’d be a good idea to be in the loop mahself. Especially after Sweetie mentioned what Celestia told her at your coordination party,” explained Apple Bloom.

Twilight put a hoof to her mouth in thought for a moment, then nodded.

“Alright, that’s fair. I can definitely see why Celestia mentioning “troubling times” might spark your curiosity. Though I’m afraid there’s a reason most of the ancient history of Equis isn’t common knowledge. So much was lost during and before the migration of Hearth’s Warming. There’s very little we actually know outside of the Legends of Ages,” said Twilight.

“Legends of Ages?” asked Apple Bloom.

Twilight smiled. Oh how she loved it when she was asked for information.

“Tell me Apple Bloom, are you familiar with the numerous ages of the past?” asked Twilight.

“Uh… Maybe? Ah think Ah heard about them somewhere. Mind givin’ me a quick rundown?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Well, to simplify, the numerous ages refer the different periods of history, separated by drastic shifts in the world dynamic. The first known state of Equis was the Age of Light, followed by the Ages of War, Peace, Hate, and Ice. After that is the Age of Sun, which is the age we’re currently in,” explained Twilight.

“OK… that’s interestin’ and all, but that still doesn’t explain what these legends are,” said Apple Bloom.

“The only reason we know these ages even happened is because of the Legends of Ages. Every age was defined, and distinguished, by one of those stories. And because of how unreliable word of mouth is to keeping details accurate, scholars around the world are still debating how much of each legend is true,” said Twilight.

“Oh. So… what you’re sayin’ is that all we know about way back then are a bunch of stories that nopony can tell if they even really happened or not?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Well, I wouldn’t say that. Archeology has come a long way the past few years, and much of what has been discovered supports these stories too closely for them to be pure fantasy. Not to mention every race on Equis has some form of these legends, so they’re not just pony made stories,” said Twilight.

“Ah see. So… Ah guess the best place to start readin’ would be with these legends, then?” said Apple Bloom.

Twilight Sparkle smiled again and levitated over a book.

“Try this. It’s a collection of all the legends that was printed only a few weeks ago. It’s not the most professional version of the legends I’ve read, but I think it’s little more appropriate for a filly your age than more official chronicles while also being fairly accurate. There's a reason why most of these tales aren't taught to younger children. It even has some additional information about each age and how the changelings fit into it all,” said Twilight.

“Right. Thanks, Twilight,” said Apple Bloom as she took the book in her hooves.

She quickly opened it, and started to read...

Author's Note:

Alright, here we go. The first major spin-off of URBC: the origin story of the seven tribes I've been mentioning as far back as the prologue of the first story. I hope I can deliver some deep, interesting backstory.

But yeah, the dark tag's there for a reason. This is not a slice of life comedy. URBC's always had some dark implications about the AU between all the jokes, and this spin off is tackling that stuff head on. Which is part of the reason I'm doing a spin off instead of just another exposition chapter in the main sequel.

And it's occurred to me that if I'm going to be fleshing out this AU, I'm probably going to need to give the verse a proper title. Any suggestions?