• Published 28th May 2019
  • 1,098 Views, 42 Comments

One Last Time - Jhoira



Though they've enjoyed a long life together not even the elements of harmony can fight time itself.

  • ...
3
 42
 1,098

One Last Dinner

All the girls were again gathered around the table, now the room not quite as well lit as earlier, but still, the main lights provided more than enough illumination for them to eat. Rarity had called in a good old friend of hers to make them a ridiculously decadent dinner. They all sat around stuffing themselves like there was no tomorrow, for them there wasn't, and they were, at least in terms of eating, were loving it.

One of them seemed a bit more agitated as Twilight again shifted on her chair ruffling her feathers. Pinkie Pie smiled at her after stuffing a huge bite of chocolate souffle into her mouth. After a bit of chewing, she smiled, getting up off her chair and walking over to Twilight, lifting a hoof and running it over her friend's back. "Looks like it might be your turn to get something off your chest hmm?"

Twilight let out a short laugh as the rest of the room's eyes turned to her and she smiled with a bit of chagrin. "Well, I don't know. I mean it's irritating but it's... Uh... Nothing like the... Other issues that were brought up earlier." Twilight gave a small shrug, it really wasn't bothering her all that much, she wasn't lying.

Pinkie smiled a little brighter and climbed up onto the chair's arm sitting down next to her friend. "Well, you can either tell us or I'm going to sit here until you do!" The rest of the group, and Twilight, all chortled at that.

After a few moments of it being obvious that Pinkie was completely serious Twilight relented and nodded. "Fine, fine. I can't say that it's like some of your trepidations girls, but I just... What if it's boring...?" The entire group just stared at Twilight for a few moments before Rarity spoke up.

"You're worried that the afterlife will be... Boring darling?" Rarity licked her lips, trying not to make it sound like she was criticizing Twilight, but she couldn't really wrap her head around the objection.

Twilight smiled a bit wryly. "Well yeah, I mean think about it. We always have things to do, to accomplish here. We were saving Equestria, we were running it, we were spending time with loved ones. Now if the afterlife is as perfect as a lot of people say it is, we'll only have time to spend with loved ones, which I do love, but I mean... Some other activities would be good to spice it up! I mean I can only fight with Trixie for so long!"

That got another round of snickering before Rainbow Dash smiled at her. "Well, you can always lose to me in a race if that'll make you feel better!"

Rarity nodded in agreement. "I can see where you're coming from darling but... I don't remember those adventures as fondly as you seem to, I'll be looking forward to a long time of rest and relaxation with those I love... And haven't seen in a while..." Rarity looked to the side and Applejack smiled at her mate, nuzzling into her gently before looking over to Twilight.

Applejack spoke as Rarity nuzzled into her shoulder, sighing with a bit more content. "I'm no expert on the afterlife Twilight, but Granny Smith always raised us to believe in it, that we'd see our parents and everyone again. But she didn't say it was a perfect little place where nothing went wrong. She said it was the perfect place if the perfect place includes adventure, then I think there'll be an adventure there in the afterlife don't you?"

Twilight let out a wry little laugh, looking at Fluttershy who smiled at her. Twilight nodded after a moment, she should have guessed that Fluttershy of all ponies wouldn't object to a life, or rather afterlife with no adventure in it. She looked up at Pinkie who grinned down at her and pulled her into a hug, causing Twilight to let out a small excerpt of air as her chest hit the hard chair arm and Pinkie giggled, letting go of her. "Sorry Twilight." Pinkie smiled and climbed down off the arm of her chair to sit on the floor near the chair. "One thing my father always said when we'd have trouble at the rock farm was, 'shall not the creator of all the world do right?' It sounds like a question but it's one of those rhetorical questions. He said it as an affirmation that he and the rest of us were in the plan of the creator." She smiled a bit. "And I still trust my father there. So I'm sure there'll be plenty for us to do in the afterlife! Friends, family, party, adventures, everything!"

Twilight chuckled a little and nodded, getting up to give her pink friend a hug before pushing her plate away, she had eaten a lot and really didn't need any more of it. "You're right Pinkie. And even if it is really boring I'm sure that we'll be able to make our own fun! I mean, just catching up with everyone will take us a long time!" The other nodded, smiling as they saw Twilight get a bit more excited about the prospect of the afterlife. Though as she said she wasn't really having a break down over it like three of them had had, it had been bothering her. She smiled at Pinkie who had taken the moment to notice and leaned in giving said party pony a kiss on the cheek, causing her to blush faintly.

Rarity grinned and leaned over to Applejack, whispering. "I told you that she'd have been on wedding number three if it wasn't for Cheese Sandwich." Applejack managed to suppress her snicker as she looked around the group.

The strange sound instead of a snicker though did cause her to catch some attention and she sat up a little taller, grinning at her friends. "I wonder who's gonna have their secrets aired to the group." She eyed Rainbow Dash and Rarity.

Rarity scoffed and shook her head as she answered. "Darling, I'm perfectly ready and at peace with my passing. We already did all this." Applejack raised an eyebrow and Rarity blushed a bit brighter. "You don't seem to remember the week after Sweetie Belle... Passed..." Applejack nodded and pulled her marefriend into a hug, cooing gently to her.

Rainbow Dash, kindly, took the attention off of Rarity. "I'm good too. I mean, like I said when... Earlier, at breakfast. I only have Scoots around that I'll be missing on this side. I'm ready to fly ahead and see my old friends!" She grinned as she posed like she was starting a race then smiled as she straightened up. "Though I'm surprised on your part Twilight."

Twilight frowned and cocked her head to the side. "Why's that?"

Rainbow Dash grinned at her. "I would have thought you would've read a book about the topic to get yourself calmed down!"

Twilight laughed and grinned, pulling a book out from behind her chair and they all let out a good laugh. They smiled at Twilight, always going to book instead of ponies. Then finding out that ponies tended to be better for fixing emotional problems then books. Twilight smiled, her friends had saved her where books had failed her, one last time.