• Published 16th May 2019
  • 4,233 Views, 42 Comments

Closer To The Heart - ClandestineWing



Shining Armor gets a tip that Princess Cadence had been hiding her deepest darkest secret from him for a long time, and he aims to help her come to terms with it.

  • ...
22
 42
 4,233

Chapter 3: Barstool Dash

Rainbow streaks zipped through vigorous gusts and raining rocks. The multicolored trail faded from its tail; serpentines and zig-zags prefaced a sharp nosedive into the deep canyon below. Try as she might, the cyan pegasus lay collapsed in the dirt with both her wings broken and a sprained left hind hoof. She narrowly escaped being crushed by a falling boulder, tripping over her own hooves, then finding herself unable to stand once more. Even her screams felt crippled, and then completely silenced. She wanted to cry. She really wanted to cry.

After a lengthened blink, the blue pegasus felt her wounds dissipate. She gazed up at a suddenly materialized indigo ceiling. She then looked down to see herself lay cradled in a pair of dark blue hooves with silver slippers as radiant as moonlight. Her voice and her embrace was familiar, but Rainbow couldn’t put her hoof on who they belonged to, but they seemed bigger than she remembered- No, the mare wasn’t bigger. She suddenly noticed a thick fluffy diaper snuggly wrapped around her groin, spreading her hind legs apart. She would’ve been waddling if she actually had to worry about walking. But why wasn’t she worried about walking? She gratefully accepted a bottle of warm milk finding its way in between her lips, the bottle being wrapped in a sky blue aura. “Now be a good filly. Relax and drink up.”

The taste of the sweet warm milk splashed her tongue. What did she want to cry about? There wasn’t a reason to cry. There wasn’t even a reason to keep her heavying eyes open.

A scratchy voice let out a huge yawn. With one of the best dreams she ever had and the sun fully risen, the blue pegasus, refreshed in body and mind, was ready to start her day. Silence was broken by a very noisy crinkle elicited by her hind legs, staying them from kicking off the covers. She smiled gleefully and rolled onto her belly, enticed by the noise of the thick garment grasping her plot; a noise that reminded her that everything was okay, that everything was just fine… Until she felt a relaxing release spill into the awaiting pant, the thick diaper between her hind hooves warming and swelling; now everything was just fine. She closed her eyes again and promised herself five more minutes; five more minutes of loafing around in her bed with her eyes closed and her brain alight with thoughts of...

Oh. My. Gosh!” Rainbow Dash couldn’t have sprung out of her bedsheets any faster even if she were sleeping in a toaster.


“I have to go to Canterlot for the Special Premiere Wonderbolts Derby tonight!” Rainbow Dash said, her feathery wings flapping as she paced around the room. The special premiere of the Wonderbolts derby was a newly introduced nightly event to be held in Canterlot that was meant to kick off an Equestrian Wonderbolts tour. “At night! Do you know what that means!?” The tortoise she flew down toward gave a slow stretch and a long yawn in response. “It means that Princess Luna is going to be there, and she’s going to be thinking about the dream I had about her! I can’t race with her thinking about that!” Tank slowly retracted into his shell with his eyes closed. “Are you for real?” With her pet exhausted of her meanderings, she readied herself for the day ahead, saying to herself that she didn’t want to be late for Wonderbolt practice.

Although she retired her Equestrian reign, ponies have claimed to have had Princess Luna perusing through their dreams, still adamant about helping others with their inner demons and to help preserve the integrity of their psyches. Rainbow Dash soared with much discipline, knowing she had the post-derby routine down like the back of her hoof, but it only served to exacerbate the thoughts of the dream plaguing her without much to take it off her mind.

Rainbow Dash’s friends had already known for a while, some were wily enough to figure it out on their own before she came out to them. Rainbow Dash always had a soft sensitive side to her that was often masked by her dominant extroverted personality; a side of her that was exposed only to her friends, and very rarely. Being an adult foal could easily manifest within a pony of her traits.

The last locker slam of the day echoed in the pegasus’ head alongside the wind whistling in her ears as she made her way to Canterlot. Although practice went well, and with no complaint from the other Wonderbolts to prove it, the pegasus didn’t feel completely in her zone. Rainbow’s first consult for her situation was the Princess Of Friendship herself, and ruler of Equestria. The blue pegasus surmised that Twilight Sparkle, with her insight and intuition, would’ve had to have read something helpful to her situation at one point in life, or at the very least have some signature sage advice.

“Yikes,” the purple alicorn said, “that is a little hard to swallow. But I still don’t think it’s likely Princess Luna knows or even remembers with how many dreams she walks through every night.”

“Please, Twilight, you don’t think out of all the dreams Luna decides to watch, she would pick out any other dream?”

“Rainbow Dash, Luna sees odd dreams all the time. And I’m sure she’s even seen sex dreams about her many times. And there’s a good chance she probably didn’t even see your dream last night. It’s not a big deal.”

“‘Twilight, it was an AF- A foal-” Rainbow took a hard swallow at what she was about to admit. “It was that kind of dream, and it was about Luna. What if you had the hottest sex dream in the world and it turned out it was with Princess Celestia?” Twilight stumbled over a response to her, nearly hyperventilating at the very thought. “And then you had to perform one of your magic exams in front of-”

“Okay, I get it, I get it.” Twilight hastily replied, still collecting herself. “Well, her and I would both know that it wouldn’t have meant anything. Dreams usually don’t. You really don’t have anything to worry about.” The cyan pegasus gave a nervous hum, unconvinced. Twilight had to hold back a sigh as she spread her wings to place her hoofs on the pacing pegasus’ shoulders and gently lower her to her hooves with a sincere gaze into her eyes. “Rainbow Dash, I care about you, I really do, and I want to help you, but you have to be willing to help yourself.”

“Twilight, I-”

“And I know you want to help yourself, too.” The purple alicorn said upon releasing her. Rainbow couldn’t help herself from breaking eye contact and her eyes being drawn toward the floor.

“Twilight, it just seems like ever since I started getting into this foal thing, I’m just not who I am anymore.”

“I know; it’s a big adjustment. I just want you to know I’m here for you if you need anything.”

Rainbow Dash, while truly grateful for Twilight’s words and friendship, she didn’t have any first-hoof experience with having a fetish until recently, and neither did Twilight. The alicorn never thought being a shoulder for her friends after their experience facing three of their fiercest nemeses would’ve been a breeze compared to helping Rainbow Dash come to terms with accepting a part of herself. In her defense, this part of herself was something anypony else could perceive as the antithesis of the daring, brash, confident badass the pegasus was well-renowned for.


Moonlight paled in comparison to how festively lit Canterlot was that night. Lines to the concession stands trailed into the streets. Racing bets were being made within the generous amount of time until the actual derby. Naturally, Rainbow Dash was compelled to take a look at it all from a bird’s-eye view. She swooped down and called out to her five favorite ponies as soon as she spotted them.

“Hey, you all made it!”

“You didn’t expect us not to come, did you, darling?” Rarity said to the blue pegasus, who was gesturing a hoof up to politely refuse a bite from an enormous baked pretzel three times her size clutched in Pinkie Pie’s hooves.

“You guys really are the best friends a pony could have. You know that, right?”

“Goodness, we wouldn’t miss this for anything in the world.” Fluttershy said with a smile.

“You know we always have your back, girl,” Applejack said in her usual southern droll, “you got this, Rainbow Dash.”

“Well girls, we should probably go find our seats.” Twilight suggested. “Do you want to tag along, Rainbow?”

“Twilight, the race isn’t for another two hours.” Rainbow, putting trust in one of her best friends, naively dejected off Twilight trying to have her accompany them to find their seats; where all the princesses sit.

“I know, but it’s been a while since I caught up with Princess Celestia.”

“Well, don’t let us stop you, dear.” Rarity said. “We can all just meet up at our seats just before the race starts. I owe Fancy Pants a much needed reacquaintance myself.”

“I can try out more festival food in the meantime!” Pinkie Pie then harshly swallowed the salty treat that was muffling her words. “I hear there’s a popcorn stand that gives you a bag of kernels that actually pop, but only in your mouth!”

After nodding and agreeing, the six ponies and purple dragon all went their separate ways. Once their hooves started making tracks, Twilight turned around and wrapped her hooves around Rainbow Dash. “I know you got this.”

The blue pegasus smiled as her friends walked on ahead. The smile faded fast from her muzzle. “Am I really that terrified of facing Luna?” In the very corner of her hearing, she heard ice clinking in a glass and a familiar voice call out to her that snapped her out of her thoughts.

“Long time no see, Rainbow Dash.” The pegasus turned toward the source of the voice; a white unicorn with a red spiky mane sitting at the bar with a purple drink cusped in his sky blue magic. A half smile creeped below his red eyes.

“Mind Fission.”

“The one and only.”

“What are you doing here?”

“It’s a bar, what do you think?” The pegasus flared her nostrils and rolled her eyes with a smirk. “I’m here to cheer you on, of course. I’ve never been to a Wonderbolts Derby before.”

“Are you sure you didn’t come here all the way from Ponyville for Canterlot Cocktails?” She asked as her wings carried her over to the barstool next to him.

“Well yeah, that’s a bonus, the drinks here are divine, but I actually go to school in Canterlot now, so it’s not that big of a journey. Hey, if you want a drink, it’s on me.”

“Thanks, but I need to be able to fly straight tonight.”

“Just figured I’d offer. Some ponies like to harden their nerves before going on stage, others prefer a bit of liquid courage to calm them.”

“Well, you know my nerves are made of steel. The Wonderbolts derby is great; you’re gonna’ love it. I’ve done this plenty of times. Tonight’s going to be cake.”

“Rainbow Dash, have you forgotten who you’re talking to?”

“I don’t know what you’re…” Why was she lying to him, of all ponies? She stared down at the bar, leaning her hooves on it.

“Let me help. Tell me what’s bugging you.”

“This isn’t exactly the best place to talk about it.”

“Hmm… ‘Dear Mind Fission, I know it’s short notice, but here’s a ticket to tonight’s special premiere Wonderbolts Derby. Blah blah blah blah blah. Sincerely yours, Twilight Sparkle.’”

“She told you!?” Rainbow said with an incredulous gaze toward the unicorn.

“I think she figured it’d be easier if you talked to somepony else with first-hoof experience. I’ve had a few dreams like that, and Luna has seen them.”

“I mean, I usually just brush off these dreams too, but Luna is going to be here tonight.”

“I see.” He said as his magic lifted his glass to his lips, sending another rush of the purple concoction down his throat.

“So you understand my problem?”

“Mhm,” he swallowed while nodding, “your problem is that you still don’t accept yourself.”

“What? No! My problem is that Luna knows what ponies dream about and when I perform tonight, she’s only going to see me as a freak.”

“Exactly, you haven’t accepted yourself.”

“What are you talking about? Of course I have.”

“No, you haven’t. You’ve accepted that this is a part of you, but you treat it like a curse; that’s not true acceptance. And maybe Luna entered your dream last night because she knows this is what you’re struggling with and she wants to help you. And clearly if she’s walking into your dreams and creating these scenarios to help you cope, then the only pony here who thinks you’re a freak is yourself.”

Rainbow Dash couldn’t even come up with a response to that; she hadn’t even thought about the possibility that Luna herself was in her dream. Twilight probably didn’t even think about that. Luna herself giving Rainbow Dash a bottle feeding in her dream; it never crossed her mind because it sounded impossibly absurd, but was it truly impossible?

“Honey, I found her!” Rainbow’s ear flicked at the familiar voice referring to her. She had to hold back a reactionary grimace; she wanted to be annoyed at them showing up, but she learned long ago not to take them for granted. “I can’t believe it was so hard to find the greatest Wonderbolt of all time!” Rainbow turned in her barstool, and there they were; Windy Whistles with Bow Hothoof trailing behind her.

“Mom, Dad. I’m, uhm, glad you could make it~”

“Wouldn’t miss it for anything in the world, dear.” Windy replied. “Best Wonderbolt ever! You got first place in the bag.” That was the third time that night; nopony telling her “good luck”, just that she had this. At the sound of ice clinking around in a glass, Windy turned toward the pony sitting next to her daughter. “I’m sorry, dear. I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“No, it’s okay, Mom~” Rainbow almost felt an actual lightbulb over her head. “I was just about to leave.”

“Rainbow, you never told me your mother was a gem.” Mind said. Rainbow had to question herself if he had telepathy too; the lightbulb she thought she was feeling burned out, and all she could feel then was the unicorn’s toothy wiley grin.

“Who’s your friend, Rainbow?” Windy said with a flattered intonation.

“I’m Mind Fission, ma’am.”

“Well,” Bow chimed in, “you’re a lucky stallion to have the raddest awesomest pony in Equestria as a friend~”

“Can I buy you a drink, sir? A round of shots on me.” Mind proposed.

“Haha, I like your thinking, but no thanks. We’ve been sober since Windy gave birth to our awesome daughter.”

“Dad,” Rainbow said while the unicorn sent more of the purple liquid down his throat, “we all know that’s a lie.”

“Yeah,” Mind, while swallowing, concurred with his horn’s magic seemingly cusping his glass, “your wife, yes. But your hair markers tell me your last drink was twenty-two days ago… Way longer than I could go for. But yes, your daughter is quite amazing, indeed.”

“She is, isn’t she?” Windy said, Bow confirming despite Rainbow’s cheeks practically bursting into flames; the unicorn’s chuckles didn’t help either. “You know, she did fly around the world a couple years ago.”

“Mom, no!” Rainbow said with widened eyes. “I mean, uhm. Haha. No, Mom, you’re too much.”

“Isn’t she so humble?”

“The humblest pony of all time.” Mind said with a cheeky grin and his glowing horn carrying two brimming-full shot glasses, gesturing with them. “To Rainbow Dash?”

“To Rainbow Dash!” Windy and Bow shouted. Rainbow only wondered when in Tartarus he ordered the shots.

“Huzzah!” Mind said still gesturing the glasses. “Somepony take one of these~” He urged half conspicuously, which captured a shrug out of Bow Hothoof.

“For our daughter (and because you’re buying).” Mind’s magic handed a shot glass to Bow and the two stallions sent their pinches of clear hard liquor down the hatch. Bow winced and exhaled reactionarily in front of the undaunted unicorn. “My- Whoo! Rmph! You sure can handle your drinks, son.”

“Well, dear, we have a whole festival to see and a daughter with a big night ahead of her. We’ll see you on the track, Rainbow. Make us proud~”

“Yeah…” Her parents didn’t bat an eye at the apprehension in her tone. “Have a good time.” Rainbow Dash bid her parents a fond farewell with a smile before turning toward Mind Fission again. “I am so sorry about that.” Rainbow said.

“It’s whatever,” Mind replied, “it’s a chapter in my life that I’ve accepted a long time ago, among other things I’ve come to accept.” Rainbow gave a heavy sigh.

“Look Mind, I get what you’re saying, and I appreciate it, but I don’t exactly have the luxury of indulging in this as much as you do.” The unicorn flapped his lips with a roll of his eyes.

“Everypony who’s into this has their own lives. It’s not a contest to see who’s the best purger or binger, and it’s most certainly not a contest to see who can swim fastest upstream.”

“Mind, I-”

“Hey, Rainbow… This is going to sound random, but I’ve been aching to play on a Tennis court in Canterlot since I was a colt.”

“Are you challenging me to a sport?”

“Only if you think you’re up to the challenge.”

“Again, you’re challenging me to a sport.”

“One set. Two games.” The unicorn replied, undaunted. “You down?”


Mind dribbled the neon yellow ball firmly with his hoof, then clutched it with his sky blue magic as he stared down the court. The cool night breeze contrasted with the warm court lights. The pegasus wore a confident smirk while spinning her racquet in her wing. The facts didn’t lie; she was an all-around athlete and he was a nursing student; an “egghead” as Rainbow Dash would put it.

“Go Rainbow Dash!” Said a high-pitched voice from the stands. Rainbow turned her head to smile at her pink friend with a bag of popcorn kernels. She heard another mare’s Canterlot-posh voice murmuring as she turned her head back to Mind.

“I say, what’s this about? Isn’t that one of the Wonderbolts?”

“Yup! Rainbow Dash versus Mind Fission in an epic, hang-on-the-edge-of-your-seat, game of Tennis! Well, the game hasn’t started yet, but when Rainbow Dash is playing, you know it’s going to be good!” The red-maned unicorn tossed the ball into the air, and his hooves barely left the ground as he sent the ball flying into the pegasus’ court.

Rainbow watched Mind’s racquet grace the ball. She blinked and the ball was bouncing in her court in that instant. The ball reached to dodge her forehoof swing. Her wing mightily reached for it, the ball cracking against her racquet and sending it back over the net in a high lob. Her composure was heavily rattled; he almost aced her on the first serve. Almost. She still hit it back, typical for somepony as awesome as her. Her pupils shrank as she watched an undaunted unicorn casually walk toward the ball’s landing spot. Mind’s telekinesis gave his racquet a mighty overhead swing to send the ball crashing deep into the advantage corner of her court. A rainbow streak desperately went for a ball that already passed her, and even though she hit the ball, it ended up soaring off to the side and into the stands.

“Good attempt,” Mind said, “but nopony would’ve been able to hit that back from where you were, not even a pony with your speed.” She growled, mostly at herself, then continued breathing heavily through her nose. “Sometimes you have to accept that you’re going to get balls that will force you into impossible situations, and you need to just let them pass by to avoid unnecessarily straining yourself.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“15-Love.” Mind said as he tossed the ball into the air once again. His racquet sent it into her court, almost straight down the center line, barely crossing into her box. Rainbow made a desperate lunge to return a ball that most players wouldn’t have even attempted to from where she was standing. Her lunge carried her over to the end of her deuce side in a rainbow streak. The unicorn made another deep corner shot that sent the ball back as far away from Rainbow without it going out. In another rainbow streak, she returned the ball weakly, but successfully. Mind’s racquet faced the ground and barely grazed the ball back over the net. The ball bounced over in Rainbow’s court, its backspin carrying it back into the net on her side. Rainbow zipped up to it fast enough to watch it all happen and to hear the astonished reaction from the crowd, now bigger than it was before.

“What in Equestria was that?”

“Your speed and reaction time are impeccable, Rainbow, but you need to maintain more control over center court to keep yourself from tiring out, and it’ll help make shots more possible.” Rainbow Dash’s nostrils flared as she turned away.

“What a plothole.” She thought to herself. “Hits it deep to the right. Hits it deep to the left. Drops it and spins it back into my own net. ‘Why didn’t you stay in the center?’ He asks.” She gave a sigh.

The two returned to their starting positions, Mind stood particularly close to the center mark. He sent another ball flying at a remarkable speed. The ball cut deep into the service box and fast too; it could’ve been missed in the blink of an eye. She reached for the ball, only to have it soar past her faster than a sonic rainboom with no contact.

“40-love.”

“What!? That was wide, Fission!”

“I can show you the fibers on the line, Rainbow.” The pegasus huffed, knowing she had no room to argue with him there, even though she really wanted to. “Game point.” Rainbow tried to regain her composure. She steeled herself for another lightning bolt for the unicorn to throw at her. She stood far back from the base line and reminded herself to watch the left side; odds are if she’s far back, he’ll try to go for that wide gaping opening; if she predicts it, she’ll have time to react.

“You got this, Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie yelled from the stands. Both of the players had to smile at that.

Rainbow watched Mind toss the ball in the air, then send it crashing down. It seemed slower that time, or maybe she was just better prepared for it. She almost smirked at how proud she was to predict where he was going to serve it, but the unicorn wasn’t going to let her smirk for free. Despite a good return from the cyan pegasus, Mind inched himself closer to the net to go on the attack and finish her off. Rainbow zipped her way up to the net, returning the ball back to him once again. Mind had to keep himself from wiley grinning as he put the face of his racquet toward the ground and lobbed the ball high.

Rainbow couldn’t let this one soar over her head, and she reacted perfectly in that instant. A lob shot like that would’ve went over a unicorn’s reach, but not Rainbow Dash’s, who was able to send the ball straight into the ground from up high. Mind watched as he was helpless to stop the ball from scoring a clean point for the pegasus. He couldn’t hold back his toothy half smile, and the audience couldn’t hold back their applause.

While Equestrian Tennis rules prohibited players from flying higher than the height of the net, they also prohibited unicorns from levitating their racquet out of their physical reach. Pegasi had a big advantage over unicorns for reaching for balls higher up, and it was at this moment the unicorn started to feel as if he actually had to adapt. Now the game was fun; now a game point was in jeopardy.

Mind reconvened to his deuce side and stared down the court at the blue pegasus, utterly surprised she was focused and not gloating up a storm, especially over such a magnificent shot. The unicorn flapped his lips in a heavy exhale and prepared his next serve; he was so caught up in his winning streak that he overlooked that there was much more to this match- No, this game than in a simple sparring match with his Tennis partner.

“40-15.” The unicorn swung his racquet down, sending the ball straight into the net. A twitch then a sudden stop came out of Rainbow Dash in reaction. A sky blue glow wrapped around the ball and floated back over to the unicorn, who flapped his lips once more, his nostrils flaring and his composure rattled at such a silly fault. On his second serve and on game point, he threw the ball in the air and sent a very predictable serve down Rainbow’s court. She returned it swiftly, sending it back just as fast as he served it. The unicorn sent the ball back at a speed that contradicted the idea of keeping ball speed controllable to keep it in the court, and it most certainly would’ve gone out if it didn’t crash into the tip of the net. The ball’s speed decreased drastically and where it would land was unpredictable, other than the fact that it was most certainly in. Rainbow flew swiftly toward the ball and returned it with a loud crack. Mind was able to hit it back with the same speed he did before, the ball clipping the top of the net once again. The pegasus couldn’t believe he did that on purpose twice in a row, but her adrenaline dejected it off and she sent the ball past the unicorn and deep into the back corner of his court. Mind lunged for the ball, only having it graze his racquet before it fell fast and weakly on the ground just before him.

“Fantastic shot, Dash.” The unicorn managed to say before his voice was swelled over by another roar from the crowd.

“Let’s go Rainbow, let’s go!” Stomp stomp stomp! “Let’s go Rainbow, let’s go!” The pink squealing pony stomped her hooves into the bleachers three times more.

Mind stood behind the back baseline of his advantage side and gave another flare through his nostrils to tighten his focus. “40-30.” He tossed the ball up in the air before him, and upon reaching its apex, he already saw when, where, and how he was going to strike this ball. This serve was going to be perfect. The ball was slammed over the net at a speed that was a lot for either player to keep track of, touching the back service line. Rainbow Dash held her racquet in a spot she hoped it would travel; swinging at it would cause the ball to go out of control, and simply blocking the shot would give the unicorn a wide open opportunity.

But at that point, Rainbow Dash didn’t really care anymore, and not from apathy, but inspiration. This unicorn’s performance wasn’t deterred at all despite the fact that she knew that behind the scenes, he wore diapers for fun. He did even more than just wear them for fun. Why was he being so awesome while she was worried about racing; doing something that she really loved to do regardless of what ponies thought of her? Why was she so afraid of this side of her?

She’s Rainbow Dash, and she’s the epitome of awesome. And Luna didn’t walk into her dream to watch her be pathetic at the Wonderbolts Derby. Mind Fission returned the slow high lob back into the ground and sent it to the side, out of anypony’s reach. The unicorn received respectable applause from the crowd but only a roar from the pink pony spilling popcorn kernels all over the stands.

“You gave me that, didn’t you?”

“I didn’t think a single game would last as long as it did.” She said with a smirk. He quipped back to that smirk with a quick roll of his eyes.

“I guess we’re done for the night, then?”

“Yeah, I don’t want to overextend before the race.”

“That’s fine, I think I made my point.” They both started walking off the court beside each other, the audience proceeding to disperse as well. “We should play again at a better time; playing a pegasus is a whole different game than playing another unicorn, or Twilight for that matter.”

“Twilight played Tennis with you? How’d that go?”

“She had good form, good strategy, and knew all the rules, but she couldn’t score a single point against me, and I even let her teleport.” Rainbow Dash gave a spackle of laughter. “You know, if you’re ever down to play any other games, you and I could play Barstool Warrior sometime.”

“What in Equestria is that?”

“A padded drinking contest to see whose…” he brought his voice down to a hush, “you know what lasts longer.”

“I don’t know if I’m as good a drinker as you.”

“I wouldn’t doubt you being able to hold your apple cider.”

“Well,” Rainbow Dash said with a chuckle, “I can hold my apple cider.”

“Besides, alcohol turns you into a super soaker even if you’re stone-cold sober.”

“I’m surprised Mantra lets somepony your age play a game like this.”

“Please, you’d be clocking out faster than she did.”

“Is that a challenge, Fission?”

“Two warriors, two diapers, one supreme soggybutt.” The unicorn proudly proclaimed, knowing nopony else wasn’t any longer in earshot. “The Impenetrable Fission versus Barstool Dash! Who will come out on top (of the changing table first)?” The two shared a good laugh.


Rainbow Dash meekly opened her eyes before a bright celestial path that expanded into the darkness of a star-scattered cosmos. She veiled her eyes with the shade of her wing. Her narrowing pupils helped her adjust to the bright path.

“Congratulations on your victory, Rainbow Dash.” The pegasus merely blinked and the source of the voice appeared; the dark gray alicorn with the majestic flowing azure mane she saw in her last dream standing off to the side before her. “Beating Soarin by the tip of a hoof.” Her hooves clipped along the path as the princess walked toward Rainbow.

“I hear a lot of ponies were actually betting on him. I remember being the underdog once.” The pegasus said snarkily.

“You? The underdog? Since when?” The two mares laughed it off. “I’m glad to see that dream I gave you last night really paid off; I felt kind of bad putting you in a twist, but it seemed to have all worked out well.”

“Uhm yeah…” Rainbow said with a hoof behind her head. “I didn’t expect you to… To get so saucy with it.”

“‘Saucy’?” Luna replied with a chuckle. “I didn’t think ageplay was that intimate to you.”

“It isn’t!” Rainbow replied with widened eyes. “I mean, it is, but- I mean- Oh my gosh, I don’t know. It’s like- It hammers buttons, but not in a kinky way.” Her cheeks flushed pink and her eyes darted off. “Maybe a bit in a kinky way, kinda’.” Princess Luna gave a hum, respectfully listening to the pegasus’ words. “You know, Luna, I didn’t have any of these feelings until I met a diaper-wearing mind controller.”

“Mind Fission isn’t the reason why you were unable to accept those feelings, Rainbow Dash.”

“I know… I know…” She said while shaking her head then glancing off into the darkness. She couldn’t look the princess in the eye again until after she felt she had a good answer. “I mean, I’m not worried about anypony else finding out… Not anymore… I’m not letting it shape who I am in front of anypony else. What Mind said just makes so much sense; I just feel silly now, for worrying about it like I did. Why is accepting this so hard when he makes it sound so easy?”

“He started having these feelings at a very young age, Rainbow Dash. He spent years treating this like a curse.”

“A curse… Yeah…” In that moment, Rainbow Dash felt a spark, something to help her feel more optimistic. “Well, I don’t really have a problem accepting it anymore.” Luna hummed again. “Just… Understanding it… But… Maybe that’s okay.” Luna then cracked a smile, waiting patiently for the pegasus to expand on that. “Maybe I don’t really need to understand something to accept it - to enjoy it, even.” The pegasus then turned herself toward Luna with a confident fire in her eyes. Luna then didn’t want to stop smiling. “And I have the greatest friends in the world. Everyone pushing me to be my best and helping me feel awesome even when they don’t understand parts of me that I don’t understand myself. I’ll always have a pony who has my back when I need it. Thank you very much, Princess Luna.”

“My pleasure, Rainbow Dash.”

“It’s funny. I kinda’ wish I had more to say.”


The flustered cyan pegasus remained awake only briefly. Why did she have to wake up? She didn’t want her heart-to-heart to end, and she attempted to fall back asleep, rolling onto her side with crinkles. Her eyelids flew back up upon her doorbell chiming throughout her cloudominium. A guest at this ungodly hour!? ...It was quarter after noon, but it didn’t make waking up after her eventful night any less a task.

“I really REALLY don’t want to take this off right now.” Rainbow thought to herself while she scrambled to find something to cover her diaper. Her interaction with Mind Fission left quite an impression on her; yesterday’s Rainbow Dash would’ve frantically ripped her diaper off and wiped herself thoroughly to avoid any sort of suspicion from anyone, usually ending with her answering to no-one at the door from taking so long. Now, if whoever was at the door was a friend, they wouldn’t judge, and if it was just a courier, they wouldn’t be nosy enough to suspect a diaper underneath somepony else’s pants.

The front door to the cloudominium swung open to reveal the cyan pegasus in a pair of average navy flannel pajamas. Before her was Twilight Sparkle, with saddlebags by her sides and looking bushy-tailed, closing in for a hug.

“Congratulations~” Rainbow Dash felt all warm and cracked a smile, wrapping her hooves around Twilight as well. As they pulled away, Twilight caught a glimpse of the crinkling garment peeking from under Rainbow’s pants, no thanks to her short shirt.

“You congratulated me last night, Twi.”

“I know.”

“Let me guess; Pinkie’s throwing a party?”

“No- Well, yeah, but not until later tonight. I came over because I have a present for you.”

“Oooh, what’d you get me?” Rainbow asked enthusiastically, unintentionally breaking out a yawn from her abrupt awakening. Twilight’s horn glowed its signature magenta, and a purple flash barely peeked in through the doorway. With wide eyes, Rainbow peered around her front door frame to find nothing where the flash came from.

“Behind you~” Twilight said to her with a smirk. The purple alicorn proceeded to let herself in, closing the door behind her, while her pegasus friend ripped the sky blue cloud-covered wrapping paper off a medium size box. Twilight briefly used her magic to peel off the end of the long strip of packing tape sealing the box, which Rainbow finished ripping off with her teeth.

Rainbow’s heart was aflutter. Mixed emotions plagued her as she stared down at a pink plastic package. In bold white letters circling around the design of a foalish looking garment, it read “Foal-At-Heart” toward the upper part of the circle, and “Filly Fun Diapers” underneath. The garment displayed on the package was mostly white with pink trails lacing the leg gathers, and the landing zone had foalish outlines of stars, blocks, and rattles. Rainbow Dash’s face lit up in a bright inferno.

“I figured after your ordeal yesterday, you could’ve used something to unwind, and I wanted to get one of my best friends a gift that really meant a lot to her.” Twilight tried to retain her composure, but she was genuinely nervous at how Rainbow was going to take it.

Ohmygosh~ I didn’t expect…” The purple alicorn was relieved when Rainbow Dash turned to her with a smile. “Thanks, Twilight.”

“Do you want to wear one right now?” The question came out a little bit more enthusiastically than Twilight thought it would. Why did she even ask that? Why did the pegasus’ tone feel... Feel wanting? Rainbow’s pupils turned into small dots. Twilight recalled being told that a good caretaker imposes, not asks. For the moment, Twilight realized she had to treat Rainbow not as an equal and to assert the rules to the game she was about to play. “I can do this, it’ll just be like taking care of Spike when he was a hatchling.”

“Twilight, I uhm…” Rainbow Dash was at a complete loss for words. She just woke up from a wonderful dream to be brought into another.

“How about we head into the living room to try these things out?” Before she could say anything, an impulsive flash of purple put Rainbow right in her living room before her couch. Twilight’s saddlebags were being set on the floor next to them, clearly not with the intention of putting them off to the side.

“But Twilight, are you sure you-” A purple hoof was put up to her lips, Rainbow’s pupils shrunk even more.

“You don’t have to say anything.” Rainbow Dash felt herself being lifted up in magic and turned onto her back to be gently lowered to the floor. The cyan pegasus felt like she was seeing new colors, her heart pounded in her chest, and she didn’t want to complain about any of it; it all felt so right to her, to be treated the antithesis of the independent badass that she normally was.

She wondered if this was that magical feeling Mind mentioned to her before; little space. The unicorn told her about it right before she went to the locker room, but shrugged it off in the face of a newfound light and a race to win. She actually forgot he mentioned it until she found herself laying on the floor before a mare using magic to pry off her pants.

Twilight loomed over her with her horn still glowing. Rainbow’s pajama bottoms slid off and completely exposed her crinkling rear. Taped across Rainbow’s waist was a plain white medical adult diaper with a yellow stripe down the center of the groin. She hoped it wasn’t noticeable, but Rainbow gazed down at the obvious yellow splotch that contrasted with the white pant and the yellow stripe faded to green within the spread butterscotch tint, and she knew it was clear as day. If Twilight weren’t right above her, she would’ve squirmed much more than she did.

No words, only a smile laced Twilight’s lips. No, Rainbow swore she saw it become a smirk in a split second. Her flannel shirt was lifted well above her waist in Twilight’s magic. Her magic also opened one of the saddlebags, then proceeded to retrieve a bottle of foal powder and a sample pack of adult sized wipes.

“I’m going to get changed! I’m going to get changed!” It was sweet enough for Twilight to offer to diaper her, but changing a diaper, a used adult diaper, was another level, another level that it seemed she planned, even. Rainbow’s plot was lifted by her hind legs within the alicorn’s magic while one of the pink foalish diapers slid underneath. Magic wrapped around the four tapes, and with a loud rip, the sodden garment was carefully undone. Rainbow felt the draft strike her bare plot right away and watched Twilight prepare one of the appropriately huge wipes.

The cold wipe ran swiftly and gently across Rainbow’s plot, then her privates. She learned first-hoof in that moment that adult wipes were infinitely better than actual foal wipes; an investment she would definitely need to take. With her area now cleansed, Twilight scooped away the soggy garment, rolling it into a ball and setting it aside. A bottle tilted in her magenta light and sprinkled white foal powder over Rainbow’s area. Twilight’s magic lifted her up by her hind legs. The purple alicorn leaned in and Rainbow felt her gentle hooves massage the powder into her coat; another technique she was going to have to remember, not that she used powder too often. The intoxicating scent made her contemplate getting into the habit of powdering every diaper, or at least powder more often.

With crinkles significantly louder than Dash’s usual diapers, the foal-at-heart diaper was sealed. “There we go~” Twilight said. Rainbow marveled at the foalish looking diaper, complete with two-tape glory, then gazed up at Twilight’s warm smile. Rainbow fumbled about trying to get up, realizing this diaper was much thicker than the ones she was used to; it seemed like her hind legs couldn’t touch each other even if her life depended on it. Her friend just changed her diaper, even wiped her and rubbed foal powder into her plot; she deserved a hug of some kind. “Oh wait, one more thing~” Twilight said as Rainbow’s shirt flew off of her.

Out of the same saddlebag came a foal snap-on onesie. No, it was for an adult. An adult sized onesie with a snap-on crotch, like foals wear. It was short-sleeved, and baby pink with a hot pink collar and leg and arm cuffs, and it was being slipped on Rainbow Dash. Her wings fit swimmingly through the holes on the back. She wanted to squirm some more, steam from her blush was practically pouring out of her ears, but she didn’t want Twilight to think she didn’t desperately want it. The snaps made tiny pops as they secured into place.

Twilight said that she needed to take care of one more thing before she took her other saddlebag out of the living room with her. She made her way toward Rainbow’s kitchen and encouraged her to take a brief moment to take in her new attire. She was going to need more than a brief moment, though. Her first time wearing a onesie; it fit snuggly, yet it was stretchy at the same time, and given how thick AFDL diapers usually are, the stretchiness was completely justified. All the extra thickness she felt from the extra fluffy diaper seemed to compress into her like a bear hug around her rump. A hug that would never go away.

Twilight returned with a clear bottle levitating in her magic. Just when Rainbow was starting to get used to it all, there she was staring at a foal bottle decorated in pink hearts and a pink cap. She was so entranced by it that it took her a moment to realize she was being lifted off the ground again, and into Twilight’s lap with a bottle nipple inching toward her muzzle. Cradled onto her back and her head resting against Twilight’s hoof, Rainbow gazed at the white liquid that started to empty from the bottle, feeling the sweet taste of cold whole milk pour onto her tongue.

The only sound in the room was Rainbow faintly suckling from the bottle, and occasional crinkles suppressed by her onesie. A new string of thoughts, or rather one thought, was on Rainbow’s mind the entire time: “Suckle… Suckle the sweet milk…” She was compelled to think of nothing but working on the bottle nipple in her muzzle. Every single doubt about the moment was sidelined before the thought was even complete every single time she sucked, and it was a hearty guzzle every time.

The bottle was levitated away promptly upon being emptied. Rainbow was lifted upright with her head over Twilight’s shoulder. “Oh come on, Twi, you’ve already done so much~” Rainbow screamed in her head while Twilight firmly patted her back. “Changing a wet diaper was more than enough, in fact. This is all just so-” Rainbow Dash, in her typical tomboy fashion, let out an obnoxiously loud belch.

“Good filly~” Those two words sent a chill through the cyan pegasus, and then she was lowered back into a cradled position in Twilight’s lap.

“Twilight, thank you so much… But why?”

“Because you’re one of my best friends and this is a part of you, and I want to know more about it.”

“Twilight, I barely know anything about it.”

“Well, for what it’s worth, you are pretty adorable like this.”

“Adorable or weird?”

“Adorable~” Rainbow gave an unsure sigh in response.

“Twilight, you don’t have to lie. I’m a grown mare dressed like a foal, and acting like a foal.”

“Rainbow, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.”

“I know, but… I don’t know.”

“I get it, Rainbow. This is something new to you, and it’s something that’s so personal, but you don’t understand it, and even though Mind helped you realize not understanding it is okay, it still troubles you to not know.” Rainbow didn’t have a response. Her head started to hurt, even. “How about we understand it together? You know you can tell me anything, even if it’s something really hard to admit.” Rainbow only continued to nuzzle in Twilight’s comforting care without a response. “How about you tell me all about it again? With a new perspective, you might get some new answers. How about we start with when you started feeling this way?”

“Uhm…” From the start; an inviting, easy start. “I guess it started a couple of years ago when Rarity told me about that shop, which just opened at the time. I kinda laughed at it at first, and laughed even more when she told me she heard Fission was being pushed around in an adult sized stroller. I thought it served him right.

“I thought about how silly it was to want to be a foal again. While we were joking about it, Rarity said that foals had certain advantages, and that part of our conversation kept playing in my head over and over. And that was when I thought back to a time when my mom was cheering me on for potty training; my mom and my dad told me I graduated from being ‘best foal ever’ to ‘best big girl ever’.

“And then that one day when I went to the park with Rarity and saw Mind and his marefriend dressed up and acting like foals, it was actually kind of creepy, but they looked like they were having fun, and they even had another pony babysitting them… And I wanted to be them so badly. But I knew I was a Wonderbolt, and couldn’t really do something that silly. I have a rep to maintain.

“I tried to keep it all inside, but some days I would get urges so strong I’d cave and go buy some medical diapers. So yeah, that’s why I’m a freak, Twilight.”

“You’re being silly fretting over something that doesn’t harm anypony else.” Rainbow, again, didn’t have a response. “So you just wanted to experience the advantages foals have again.”

“Yeah, I guess I do.”

“And that makes perfect sense.”

“But even the parts of it that aren’t really advantages are kind of fun too, like… Being put in clothes you would never have picked out yourself.”

“Do you not like the onesie, Rainbow?”

NO, I love it. I usually don’t like pink, but… Pink does look so cute on me, and the diapers you got me are so gosh darn cute too.” Her face was a rosy inferno. “Me calling pink things cute doesn’t leave this living room, by the way.” Twilight gave an amused chuckle. “But yeah, things like that and being put down for a nap and whatever. I don’t know, just being given the entire foal treatment just sounds like fun.”

“That makes sense. Strict-ish supervision comes with the territory after all. Rainbow, if you could do anything as a foal-at-heart right now, what would it be?”

“Anything? Gosh, Twi, there are a lot of anythings right now. I guess if I had to choose right now, I’d want to cuddle with a giant plushie and sleep in a crib. But really, I think I want a whole day with full-on foal treatment.”

“I’d be willing to spend a whole day with you like this. I can’t really give you a crib, but still.”

“Heh. Maybe I should hunt down a special somepony with a foal mansion like Mind’s marefriend.”

“You know, you could probably get an appointment with Mantra if you really wanted. But fair warning; she’s the ‘go hard or go home’ type with foal-at-heart treatment… If you know what I mean.”

“I mean, I wouldn’t mind her being strict.” Twilight then tentatively snaked her hoof down to Rainbow’s groin, eliciting crinkles from underneath her onesie.

“I meant she would expect you to use your diaper… For everything.” Red swiftly swallowed purple cheeks. Was she really enjoying putting her hoof on the pegasus’ diapered crotch? Did she really take that much joy doing something so personal for her? To her? Twilight waited for her friend to apprehensively brush her hoof away, but Rainbow let it press the comfy diaper against her, feeling its soft inner core touch her in ways that were true magic. Twilight loudly asked herself in her head whose buttons were truly being pressed here… Rainbow, logically, and downright obviously; the alicorn wasn’t the one in a diaper and onesie.

“Oh yeah,” Rainbow said with accepted embarrassment lacing her voice, “that. Yeah, that isn’t exactly something I’m eager to do.”

“Yeah,” Twilight said with a chuckle, “I get that it’s what actual foals do, but yeah.” What was the least offensive way she could say this? “I guess it’s kind of extreme to me.”

“Well yeah, messing is pretty gross, but I’d do it if I didn’t have to clean up… I kind of want to try it at least once, actually.” Rainbow’s eyes slammed shut in embarrassment and her nose wrinkled.

“No judgment here at all, Rainbow.” Twilight replied unhesitantly, half-expecting such a response. “It comes with the territory, I guess.” Rainbow opened her eyes and looked back up at Twilight with a smile.

“Well, one day. Not in front of anypony else or anything.” The two had a short laugh together before Rainbow wiped her smile off. “Uh, Twilight… I haven’t really gone yet this morning.” Twilight’s horn lit up, and a pink pacifier found its way in between Rainbow Dash’s lips. The pegasus gave a muffled squeak, but found herself suckling on the nipple contently, and swiftly finding peace of mind. Twilight gently pet Rainbow’s head.

“Good thing these fancy diapers aren’t just for decoration.”

Rainbow Dash felt her heart slamming against her chest.

Author's Note:

“Drinking past decisions, he motions for a shot. Is he meant to be a man this world forgot? Just a prisoner of the monster on his back.” -Dream Theater “Barstool Warrior”