• Published 15th May 2019
  • 2,725 Views, 73 Comments

Wingmanicide - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry is the best kind of friend a girl can talk to about her heartfelt crush... ... ...which will never be him.

  • ...
18
 73
 2,725

Sunset

“Uh... Flash? Do... uh... d-do you think I can tell you a secret?”

He finished sipping from a half-empty bottle of water. A sweaty, aching mess, Flash Sentry exhaled and wiped his brow before glancing towards the far end of the half-furnished room.

Sunset Shimmer sat on the edge of the sofa that he had just helped her move across the dusty living space. She too was sweaty, and the young woman used a tiny white towel to dab the moisture away from her exposed neck and chin above an old, ugly t-shirt. After three full hours of moving things into her new apartment, she was just as exhausted and worn out as he was... but that wasn't the reason she was blushing at the moment. Flash knew it—he knew enough about her to realize that something serious was weighing on her mind. The not-so-subtle way her eyes avoided his direct gaze only hammered in the fact.

“Of course,” he said breathily, nevertheless remaining calm and composed. It was a humbling thing to see so much anxiety in Sunset's complexion. He had long learned to be his ex-girlfriend's anchor whenever the need arose—which was growing more and more frequent as of late. “Tell away.”

Sunset chewed on her bottom lip. She wrinkled the cloth in her tender grip and slowly rose her sensitive eyes to meet his. “I... I'm thinking of asking her out on a date. Do... do you think it's too soon? I mean, after she and Timber... … ...”

Flash blinked. In truth, this was hardly surprising. Nevertheless, he felt it best to at least pretend to give the answer some thought. So he waited a few seconds, looked away, took another casual sip of his water, and half-spoke to the walls: “Better sooner than later, Sunset.” He looked at her and flashed a friendly smolder. “From what I hear, Twilight's surrounded daily in her research programs by tons and tons of supergeeks. If you don't rush in to sweep her up, somebody else will!”

Sunset's entire body locked up defensively—as he knew would happen. “I'd trample somebody before they laid a single finger on my... er... I mean on...” She winced, running a shameful hand through her beautiful, fiery hair. “That sounded wrong. Of course, Twilight isn't 'my' anything...”

“It's okay...” Flash smiled dully. “I know what you mean.”

“It's just that... even if it's okay to rush things a bit... considering how long we've been so close to one another... I-I don't want to make any horrible mistakes. After all, the last time I dated anyone... I was really... that is to say...” She threw him a pitiful look, eyes glimmering with guilt. “...I did an awful lot of—”

“That was a different you, Sunset,” Flash insisted.

“But—”

He held his hand up. “You've done nothing but mold yourself into a paragon of virtue since then. A big reason for that is Twilight.” Flash exhaled calmly, meditatively. “And she wouldn't be where she is today if it weren't for the journey you've taken these past few years. She appreciates it, Sunset.” Flash placed his water bottle down. “She appreciates you.”

There was a noticeable lilt of tender hope in Sunset's voice. “You really think so...?”

“Only one way to find out.” Flash stood up and shuffled over towards a stack of cardboard boxes resting in the fading sunlight through the windows. “Bite the bullet and just ask her out... y'know... on a date-date.”

“A date-date...” Sunset purred and cringed at the same time.

“After all, why not?” Flash opened a box and started pulling clusters of books out, stacking them atop a bookshelf that they had shoved against the wall an hour ago. “You've both taken bigger risks before. And you've patiently stuck it out all this time by her side while she dated Timber Stupid. You're the most sincere person in her life and she couldn't possibly be luckier. Now just... take it to the next level. You know you want to... and I'm pretty sure we all know Twilight wants to as well.”

“Mmmmmmm...” Sunset hugged herself as a noticeable rosiness spread across her cheeks. “You... you really think so...?”

“Do I have to repeat myself?” Flash droned.

“Well, no...”

“Just...” He paused to point a finger at her. “...don't go to the movies on the first date. It's a lousy way to get to know someone you've crushed on forever.”

“But... Twilight and I know everything about each other.”

“Heh. Good point.”

“Wait...” Sunset hopped off the sofa and shuffled over to his side, squinting. “...the first time we started dating, you suggested a movie on the first night.”

Flash squirmed slightly. “Mmmmmmm... yeahhhhhhhh...”

Sunset blinked. Then—with a wry smirk across her face—she joined him in placing the books onto the shelf. “Every year that goes by, you prove to me that you're smarter and smarter than I ever once imagined.”

“Yeah, well...” Flash opened another box and started emptying its contents out. “...you didn't ask for my help with the move cuz my brain was strong.”

“It's the heart that matters, Flash. It's what's always mattered.”

“Spoken like a true magical horse woman girl unicorn person thingy.”

“Heehee... just...” Sunset nudged him. “Promise me that you won't speak a word of this to anyone else until after I've talked to Twilight... please...?”

Flash smiled calmly at her. “What kind of a friend would that make me?”