• Published 17th May 2019
  • 454 Views, 0 Comments

Pilot Betrayed - Split Scimitar



Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor have always been competitive about their life’s accomplishments, but it has been a while since they compared notes.

  • ...
 0
 454

SPRKL Six

“We’re virtually done with our parents’ stuff, so you can pick me up whenever you can. We’ll start the paperwork then.” Rosalina texts.

“No problem.” I respond. “Will you want to relocate back to Hawaii?”

“Yes. I’ll give you details when we meet.”

“I assume it’s really up to you, since you pretty much run the company now.”

“More or less. It’s just a shame we’re short on pilots.”

“Wish I could help, but I can’t do helicopter.”

“I’d love to help you, but I was never a CFI.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be. Airplanes were your calling.”

“Well, thanks. Whenever you’re ready, I can pick you up and we can work things out.”

Later that afternoon, after I fire up SARASA, I receive a call.

“Hello?”

“Hi, is this Max?”

“Yes, this is he.”

“Hi, I’m calling about your house in Anchorage. Is it still available?”

“Oh! You know, that’s been on the market for so long, I almost forgot about it completely. Nevertheless, that is wonderful news! Would you like to arrange a tour?”

“Yes please! Your earliest convenience would be much appreciated.”

“What’s your schedule like? I can get myself there in the next 12 hours.”

“Well, my rest of this and next week aren’t good, but my wife can meet you.”

“Sure. No problem. Um, I will need your contact information, for obvious reasons.”

“Of course. Let me know when you’re ready?”

“Actually, if you can, go ahead and just text this number.”

“Even better! One second.”

A few seconds later, I receive a text with contact information.

“Shining Armor - (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Mi Amore Cadenza “Cadance” - (xxx) xxx-xxxx

“Hello? Did you get it?” Shining Armor asks.

“Just did, thank you. I can be available tomorrow any time.”

“Okay, let me hand you over to my wife. She’ll be the one you’ll show around.”

“No problem.”

“One sec. Here you go.”

“Hello?” A woman’s voice answers.

“Hi, is this Miss Mi Amore Cadenza?”

“Speaking. Please, call me Cadance.”

“Very well, Miss Cadance. This is Max, for your inquiry to the property listed in Anchorage.”

“Wonderful, I would love a tour.”

“Excellent, let me just check my schedule, I should be free.”

“Sure.”

“You’re in luck.” I respond a few moments later. “I can be available as early as 10:00 tomorrow.”

“Let’s plan on 10:30 then. Sound good?”

“You’ve got it!”

“Thank you so much.”

“Absolutely. I look forward to meeting you.”

“Likewise. I’ll see you soon.”

“Alright.” I respond just as another call comes up. “Ooh! I have another call. Talk to you soon?”

“Absolutely. Bye.”

“Bye.” “Hello?”

“Hey Max, it’s Twilight.”

“Hi, how are you?”

“Good. So, um… I have a huge favor to ask you.”

“Go ahead.”

“My brother is moving, and the rest of the family needs to meet him to help pack. Can we, uh, charter you?”

“Of course! I have an Anchorage trip tomorrow, but I can take you anytime after that.”

“Actually, do you have space for three more? Anchorage is where we’re headed.”

“Are you by chance related to Shining Armor and Mi Amore Cadenza?”

“Yes! Shining Armor is my brother!”

“Wow! Small world!“

“I know, right?”

“Well, I should probably call Miss Cadenza and let her know that you chartered me.”

“I’ll let her know too. They’re really excited about this house.”

“Good to hear from an outside source. I own that house.”

The other end of the line is silent, but before I utter anything, Twilight says, “talk about a small world.”

“I know, right?”

The two of us share a laugh before I say, “well, that sounds good. I’ll grab you and who I assume are your parents. Anyone else?”

“Nope. Just us three.”

“Where am I picking you up?”

“My place. Indianapolis.”

“Sweet! Be ready in 5 hours.”

“We’ll be ready for you.”

“Perfect.”

“Bye.”

“Cya!”

With that taken care of, I ring up Miss Cadenza.

“Hello?” She answers.

“Hi, Miss Cadance, it’s Max, how are you?”

“I’m doing well. Thank you. What’s up?”

“Um, I apologize. I can’t do tomorrow as it turns out. Apparently your sister-in-law is coming to town to help you move, and I am taking them to Anchorage to meet you.”

“Twilight’s coming?! That’s great news! We’ll wait for her!”

“Thank you so much for your flexibility!”

“Thank you for bringing Twilight! It’ll be so nice to see her again!”

“No problem. Tell you what, how does your schedule look?” I ask as I file a flight plan for Indianapolis International.

“Well, I‘m currently on maternity leave, so my schedule is dependent on my husband and our baby.”

“Okay. How about this: since you’re pretty keen on the house, I assume you’ll be the only ones interested in it since no one else but you has answered; and I have precious cargo of yours with me anyway, how’s we do the tour when we arrive?”

“That would be perfect! Knowing Twilight will be coming is definitely worth the wait!”

“Wonderful! I shall see you soon then.”

“Likewise. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Along with my yellow diesel, I grab another pickup truck, a GMC Sierra 3500 Denali, license plate ‘MTCHS.’

“Joshua departure, N475UA, IFR to Indy.”

“N475UA, cleared to Indianapolis International Airport via as filed. Climb and maintain 12,000. Departure frequency 124.55, squawk 0331, clearance void 30 minutes from now.”

“Cleared to Indy as filed, 12,000, 124.55, 0331, void in a half hour, Airbus 475UA.”

“Airbus 5UA, readback correct. Talk to you on the go.”

KVCV HELDE V12 HEC J64 RSK J110 STL TWILA JIGSY WIDAM.SMUKE2 KIND


Granted a visual to runway 32, a high speed exit at M1 brings me into Million Air for pickup with their Crew Car, an oddly lavish Mercedes-Benz E450. Once out of airport, I call Twilight.

“Hello?” Twilight answers cheerily.

“Hey, I’m on my way to your place. You all ready?”

“We are!”

“Be there soon.”

When I arrive, Twilight and two figures who I assume are her parents are waiting at their front door. Their entry gate is open, so once I pop the doors and boot, I spring into action.

“Hi Twilight!” I say as I greet her with a hug. After I make eye contact with her parents, I introduce myself.

“Hello, Split Scimitar, but I just go by Max.”

“Max? How you doin’? Night Light.”

“Night Light? Pleasure.”

“Twilight Velvet.”

“Pleasure to meet both of you. Sorry for the haste, but the sooner we get going, the sooner we get to Anchorage, so let’s get to it!”

“Great! Thank you so much, Max!” Velvet responds. “I think it’s incredible that you can provide us with this opportunity!”

“Happy to help. One Small Thing though, do you have your passports?”

“Yes.” They all respond.

“Okay, perfect. The most direct route to Anchorage takes us over Canada, so in case of an emergency diversion, you know.”

“We always keep them handy anyway.” Velvet says.

“You travelers by chance?” I ask after we jump in the car. “An insatiable wanderlust?”

“Oh very much so!” Velvet responds, “We take almost every opportunity we can.”

“First time to Alaska?”

“To Anchorage. We used to have a timeshare in Sitka.”

“Nice.”

When we return to the airport, I return the keys, check for full fuel, and get towed to startup/run up. Before we get underway, I do the passenger brief.

“Welcome aboard. Thank you for choosing to fly with me, I appreciate the work. To fasten your seatbelt, insert the metal tip into the buckle, tighten with the strap. Should fit low and snug across your hips. To unfasten, lift the flap and seperate the two ends. There are 8 exits on this aircraft, an Airbus A320: two in the front, four overwing, and two in the rear. Instructions on their operation are on the safety information card. In the unlikely event of a loss of cabin visibility, lighted strips and illuminated signs will point you in the direction of the nearest exit. Please take a moment to observe the nearest exit, and be advised it may be behind you. Even if the seatbelt sign is off, we do request that you remain in your seats with your seatbelt securely fastened in case of any unexpected turbulence or rough air. In the unlikely event of a water evacuation, your seat cushion does function as a flotation device. To operate the life jackets, place the vest over your shoulders, fasten the buckle around your waist, and tighten with the strap. To inflate the vest, pull the tab at your waist or blow into the tube at shoulder level to inflate the vest manually. Your vest is equipped with an LED that will automatically activate upon contact with water. Please wait until fully exited from the aircraft before inflating your life vest and remove shoes and other sharp objects to reduce the risk of puncture. In the event of an unexpected drop or loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the compartments above your head. Pull down on the mask to initiate the flow of oxygen, place the mask over your nose and mouth, tighten with the straps on the side, and breathe normally, even though the plastic bag may not inflate. Please secure your own mask before assisting others, and also at this time please consider reviewing the safety information card. It is forbidden to smoke onboard, and it is against federal law to tamper with, disable, or destroy a lavatory smoke detector. Speaking of lavatories, there are 3 onboard. One here in the first class cabin and two in the rear of the aircraft. Federal law also requires compliance with lighted signs, posted placards, and crew member instructions. Additional comments, questions, or concerns can be directed to a crew member. Approximate flight time to Anchorage this evening is 6 1/2 hours, so please sit back, relax, and enjoy this evening’s flight. Thank you.”

After I log on and query Clearance Delivery via CPDLC, we get an “as filed.”

KIND MEARZ6.BVT J89 YWG J515 YXE J576 YWV NCA11 REMBY.WITTI4 PANC.

“Indianapolis Airport information U, 0152Z, wind 150 at 4, visibility 10, sky condition: few clouds at 5,400, scattered 8,800, broken 15,000. Temperature 7, dew point 1, altimeter 29.97. Notices to airmen: numerous cranes lighted and flagged in Eastern and Southern Quadrants. All VFR aircraft contact clearance delivery prior to taxi. Advise on initial contact, you have information U.”

“Indy ground, Friendship 1 at Million Air, information U, ready to taxi.” I call after starting the engines.

“Friendship 1, Indy ground, runway 14, taxi via A.”

“14 via A, Friendship 1.”

A quick taxi out onto the movement area requires only the slightest blip of throttle, reaching the hold short line in less time than it takes to start the engines.

“Indy Tower, Friendship 1, short of 14 at A, ready for departure.”

“Friendship 1, Indy Tower, runway 14, cleared for takeoff, turn left heading 340.”

“Cleared for takeoff 14, left heading 340, Friendship 1.”

80 knots.

V1

Rotate.

V2

Positive rate, gear up. “Friendship 1, contact Indy departure.”

“Over to departure, Friendship 1.” “Indy departure, Friendship 1, off Indy International, MEARZ6, 2.1 for 8,000.” Flaps up.

“Friendship 1, Indy departure, radar contact 2 miles northeast Indy International, 3,400. Proceed direct BVT, climb and maintain FL180.”

“Position checks, Direct Boiler, 18,000, Friendship 1.”

A smooth climb through 10,000 feet, I set climb thrust and adjust as necessary. Eventually, we get to our cruising altitude of 36,000, where weather radar returns indicate primarily yellow and red. I can see stars and the night sky dimly lit by the moon ahead and to our right, but in the area of reported precipitation, there is a slightly unnerving blackness to it. For now, I keep a close eye on the storm and request additional information from flight service. It looks like a storm’s brewing, and moving, fast.

Author's Note:

V1 is the speed at which aborting a takeoff is no longer possible, because there isn’t enough runway to stop at that point.

V2 is the speed at which a safe takeoff can be obtained if an engine fails at that point. It assures a climb with one engine inoperative.