• Published 11th May 2019
  • 640 Views, 18 Comments

A Disguise for Love - BrightMind



Spy Glass Makes a shocking discovery that could change his life forvever! The problem is deciding wether is was for better or for worse.

  • ...
3
 18
 640

Chapter 11: A Break From the Routine (3rd Person POV)

Once at home, Simon tried the door, but it was locked. That's odd, he thought to himself. Mom never locks the door, when she's home.

"Hey, It, could you lend me a paw?" He asked. It stuck his head out of his pocket, he had a key in his mouth, but it didn't stay there for very long, as he'd dropped it the moment he peeked out. Simon only chuckled and bent over to pick it up off of the ground. "We'll work on that one. You're pretty smart for a mouse," He claimed as he gently pet It on the head.

He unlocked the door with his key and headed inside. "Mom?" Simon said as he walked around the house in search for his mother, but there wasn't a sign of her anywhere. Gone with no note, message, or even lunch like she had promised... very unlike her, he thought.

Simon inspected the trailer more closely, inside and out. After a little while spent searching, he found no clues. However, his search was not a complete loss. No note would imply that she left in a hurry or expected to be back home before me, he thought while pacing in the living room... or at least what they considered the living room. Everything seems to be in the right place and the cabinets are stocked, this means she didn't rush out for groceries, and if she expected to be back before me, this means she wouldn't have left for anything else.

The locked door would imply that she left and didn't plan on returning for at least a couple of hours. But she never forgets to leave a note and a meal. Unless of course she was distracted, by something or someone. Simon looked around the room again. Nothing distracting around here, especially not distracting enough to urge her to leave or cause her to forget, so there must have been a guest. And considering they aren't still here, they must have left together. But if she forgot the note, she probably would have forgotten to lock the door, too.... He thought hard about the situation Maybe I'm just missing something.

Simon frantically checked the room once again and found something he didn't see the first time. There was a dent in the wall directly across from the door. One that was not there earlier that morning. It wasn't an extremely deep or noticeable dent, which is probably why he didn't notice it while searching the first time. Aha! He thought. Something happened here! Something sinister! And this is a sign of a struggle! At first, Simon was excited that he had figured something out. But suddenly, his heart dropped to his stomach when he realized what he was investigating.

"Mom's in trouble! I need to get some help!" Simon said aloud. Just then, he heard the clanking sound of something metallic hitting the floor. He looked down to see the trailer key on the ground and an apologetic looking It staring back at him from his pocket. Simon smiled and picked up the key, "Thanks, It, but I need a different kind of help," Simon said before slipping the key back into his pocket. It ducked back inside his pocket and returned a moment later, holding Spy Glass's business card.

"It, you're a genius!" Simon exclaimed before snagging the card and reading over it. 244 Kings Lane, he read before taking off down the road.

Kings Lane was a road with all the big, fancy houses that aren't quite big enough to be called "mansions". It was where all the upper-middle class citizens lived. Thinking back on it, Simon understood why somepony like Spy Glass would live here; but he never actually considered how much Spy Glass made or where he he lived before today.

Once he reached the house #244, Simon pounded his hoof against the door. He knew it was probably impolite to be so aggressive about it, but this was very urgent. By now the sun was sitting just at the mountain, so he was losing daylight. After a few more urgent knocks, the door flew open, startling him a bit.

"Alright, Alright! What in the hay-"

"Mister Spy Glass, I need your help!" Simon said, cutting off Spy Glass in the middle of his sentence.

"Kid? What are you doing here?"

"My mom isn't at home! I think she's in trouble!" Spy Glass only stared at him for a few moments.

"....Are you sure that's the case? She could very well just be at the store, or something."

"Don't you think I would have considered that already? I found some evidence that suggests that a third party may be involved! Come on, I need your help!" Simon said, tugging on his hoof, pulling him through the door.

"Slow down kid!" Spy Glass said before taking his hoof back.

"Please! Need your help! She could be in real danger and I can't do this alone!" Simon said, tears beginning to build up in his eyes as he stares up at Spy Glass, trying his hardest to be brave and determined. Spy Glass stared down at the kid. Despite Simon's hardest attempt at a calm demeanor, Spy Glass saw right through it. The outside was a kid, wanting to be the best he could be. Hopes and ambitions shone right through despite everything. But on the inside, he was just a scared colt, the hope in his eyes was dying, and along with it his aspirations.

Spy Glass knew what he saw in the colts eyes. He didn't want to admit it, because he didn't want to be reminded of it; Sid saw himself. He saw someone who was broken, missing the most important piece in his life and regretting every second of it. But there was still hope for Simon, it was quickly fading, but it was still there.

Sid knew what he had to do, and time was scarce. This kid can't grow up without his mom around, it's just not right. Protocol says that he needs to call it in somepony specialized in abduction cases to handle it, or at the very least inform the company that he's picking up a case, and that could take days at the SOONEST to approve. Spy Glass knew he had to do the right thing, even if it costed him his job.

Spy Glass sighed and looked Simon in the eyes, "I need to grab my supplies from the office," he said. "I'm not supposed to be helping you, so I need to avoid being spotted by anyone. If you can help me get those supplies, I'll help you find your mother. How does that sound?" Simon beamed, as all doubt suddenly dispersed.

"Thank you so much! You will not regret it Mr. Spy Glass!" Simon said gratefully before galloping down the road. Spy Glass smiled as Simon returned to his hopeful self again in a heartbeat.
"I don't think I will, kid."

Author's Note:

I have returned!
I know I have a bad habit of doing this, and I know this was a much longer than last time. But I am trying to get back into writing this story and it's sequels (hint hint). For those of you who didn't hear yet, I've been really pressed for time, and that's why I haven't been on a lot these past few months...(it hasn't been a year yet, has it?)
Anyway, I'll still be pretty pressed for time until the eighteenth of this month, then I'll have most of the summer to work on it!... From there, we'll see.
But until then, I'm just going to do my best to squeeze in a few paragraphs here an there occasionally. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story, and it's exactly those views and those comments that keep this going, even if you don't leave any likes ;)
Feedback and comments are appreciated, hope you enjoy and I'll see you next time!

Edit: Future me again. Here is an edit note to remind myself that I already revised this chapter! Thank you all of you guys for reading my story. I really appreciate it and I hope you are enjoying it so far. You guys have a great rest of your day.