• Published 8th Apr 2019
  • 560 Views, 0 Comments

A Story from Stone, Shattered Serenity - BCBB



What if an event that never hapend Stories in Stone did? What kind of branch would that be?

  • ...
 0
 560

[Chapter 4] We are all strangers in a strange land, pt1

A Story from Stone
Shattered Serenity
BCBB

[Chapter 4] We are all strangers in a strange land, pt1


As the three companions sailed across the black void, an aurora of shifting colors surrounded them. The aurora disappeared as fast as it appeared, while the group found themselves beneath a hidden moon and a vast blanket of stars. While below them was the vast sea of churning water, which appeared as though in a blink of an eye to have swapped places. The sky took on a bright flash of white which sent the three tumbling into a grassy landing on their backs as they stared into a rose-colored sky, trying to gather their bearings.

The three raised from their positions and noticed one another, they remained silent as it seemed as though words were not sufficient to describe the occurrence and feelings of confusion and awe.

“What happened to you!!” they shouted in unison, while trying to regain their breath and sense of bearings. They noticed that changes had taken place, such as Moonstone’s size had gotten a little smaller than her original size. Her silver scales were now replaced by gray fur that had a sheen to it that looked like liquid silver. Her eyes were still bright blue and her wings had disappeared as well. Her fangs were now needle-like, her horns were gone and in their place was a pair of ears with the tips being black fur. Their amazement was interrupted by Moonstone's disbelieving exclamation.

“Can you believe this; I am a cat.”

“‘Look at me, what the heck happened to my body!!” Ash shouted out.

They noticed Ash’s size had changed considerably, his once large frame was now condensed to that of a small tree branch. His plate-like scales were so small that one would have to get very close to see. His horns, fangs and wings were gone, but his scarlet eyes remained and were balloon-like with shock and amazement. Dejectedly he Looked at Moonstone and pleadingly asked, “What am I? Please tell me!”

Moonstone covered her mouth with her paw up trying to stifle her laugh, “you're a - poofth a-a-a gecko,” as her laugher burst forward and she fell on her side and rolled to her back letting the laugher break forth as she choked out, “ahahahaha!! W-Who’s the pip squeak now!? Hahaha.”

Ash was not amused and his eyes were wide as he demanded, “stop laughing and someone tell me what's going on.”

Moonstone rolled onto her stomach, pounding the ground with paw, pleading with him, “p-please stop talking, Hahahah. I can't take it as your deep voice is coming from that small body. Hahaha!”

The conversation of Moonstone and Ash fell deft on Nox’s ears. He arose from the ground moving towards the glass doors directly behind the two-arguing pair. The first thing Nox noticed in the reflection of the glass doors was that he stood on his back hooves without trying to do it. His Second observation was his new body didn't have hooves and seeing his reflection in the glass, he wondered what he had become. Maybe he was some kind of hairless Diamond Dog. He noticed his mane color and style remained the same on this new body but his horn, fur and wings were missing and in their place was a slightly tanned but definitely white flesh. His orange eyes observed his new body and how the dark gray T shirt hugged his chest with the hint of his

chiseled muscles underneath, it was covered by his dark brown leather jacket and he had blue jeans cinched with a black leather belt and on his feet was black combat boots.

As his eyes were taking in his new look, his attention was drawn to his neck. Hanging around his neck was a chain with two metal tags whose edges were black rubber. With one tag hanging lower than the other. He reached and grabbed the tags, turning them over to get a better look at them. On the face of one tag were two white swords crossed behind a white round shield which held the design of a golden dragon. The other tag was similar except the dragon image was black in color.

“This looks like my cutie mark, but why is it divided into two tags?” He was startled from his train of thought by Moonstone's disgusted tone to Ash.

“Ew! What are you trying to do in front of me? Are you trying to defecate?”

Ash released his breath and straightened up from hunching over in order to help him obtain a deeper breath, “No, you half pint! I was trying to change my size, but I can't access my magic.” The statement resounded with all three as the realization that not only had their bodies changed but they had lost their magic abilities.

Moonstone’s eyes widened, as the realization set in on her and her gaze viewed her body while her ears flattened. Dejectedly she stated, “I can’t believe I didn't notice.”

Nox let go of the tags, squatting to speak with his smaller companions as he noted, “I can’t access my magic either but this body feels like I've always known how to use it.” There was silence until it was broken by Moonstone, as she crouched and sprung onto Nox’s shoulders and proceeded to stretch her body along his shoulder. “I could get used to this,” she quipped.

“What about me? I hope you don’t think your gonna ride on my back,” Ash lamented. Nox picked up the dragon turned gecko, placing him in the front pocket of his jacket. Ash popped his head out of the pocket and happily chirped, “well this is a nice change of pace.”

“Well now that's settled,” Nox commented as he stood to walk to the large stone pedestal. “At least we know where the portal is,” as he raised his hand to the stone’s surface. Beneath his fingertips on the stone were ripples forming. Dropping his hand from the surface and catching the gaze of his companions, stated, “it's right under the statue of this Alicorn. Wait, do Alicorns exist in this world?”

No one replied so Moonstone pulled herself upright onto his left shoulder, while wrapping her tail around his neck and pointing with her paw. “Hey, look over there it looks like an information board,” she exclaimed.

The trio made their way to the board and noted that it seemed as though daylight was glowing brighter. The board was a map with several buildings on it. Each building had a letter and a number associated with it. To the right of the map was a small section used for listing the name of each building, a combination of letters and numbers. Strangely it also stated what was stored in each building.

“Pegasos University,” Nox said, as he read the name at the top of the map. “So, this is a college, huh?”

“Pegasos seems like a weird name for a college,” Ash chimed, “hey pip squeak, you know what it means?”

Moonstone, knowing he was addressing her, replied, “It seems familiar, there are similarities to some other words, but I don’t recall seeing or hearing the word.”

Ash rolled his eyes and sarcastically quipped, “You are our Dragon of Knowledge but can’t remember the name or word that sounds familiar?” He shook his head in disbelief as Moonstone snapped back at him.

“You ignoramus, you know full well, I don’t forget anything with my eidetic memory and that includes every infuriating thing you have done or said- unfortunately.”

“Okay that's enough, I’m not having you two frozen in a deadlock; when I need you right now,” scolded Nox as his eyes snapped with irritation.

“Sorry Nox,” the pair said in unison as they made faces at one another.

Sighing, Nox turned his attention to the map, noticing a big red arrow with the inscription- ‘you are here’. Looking to the right of the board that listed names of the buildings he found their location which was the Main Hall. Examining the map, he examined the buildings. “Let's start finding information on where the crown thief is hiding,” stated Nox. Pointing to a building on the map, “The student lounge, if there is a good place to start obtaining information, it should be at that building.”

Ash and Moonstone nodded but glanced at each other with recognition. They should remain silent as Nox clearly was irritated with them. The three set off northward towards the student lounge, as the rose-colored sky brightened to usher in the day.

~~~~~~~

Several minutes later, the three arrived at the student lounge. The building was one story high and framed by maple trees which displayed the colors of autumn. Crouched in the walkway which led to the doors, a girl was picking up a bag of spilled contents. Nox noticed a book which appeared to have fallen from her and he picked it up and approached the girl in an effort to help with the spillage and return it to her.

He knelt and stated, “Excuse me but is this yours”, while stretching his arm which held the book.

“Eep!” the girl exclaimed as she scuttled away as though frightened by this encounter.

Ash, popping out Nox’s jacket pocket, inquired “Did she really just say ‘eep’?”

“Shh, you idiot, you will frighten her as animals don’t talk,” Moonstone scolded.

“I’m sorry if I frightened you.” Nox said. “I was just trying to return your book.”

The girl's eyes were downward as she struggled to steady her breathing. Slowly she lifted her eyes to the book that Nox held in his outstretched hand. Moving her eyes up, she spotted Moonstone. Her eyes widened, as she sprang to her feet and scampered over to Nox.

“Is this your kitty? What's her name? Can I pet her?” she asked excitedly as she raised her hand and stood on the balls of her feet to reach Moonstone.

“Uh, yes. Her name is Moonstone and you already are petting her,” Nox commented. Moonstone’s ears were slightly folded, her eyes closed and purred, as the girl rubbed her chin and worked her way up to behind her ears. The strange girl was engaged with petting Moonstone, so Nox focused on getting a better look at her. Her skin was the same color as his but minus the slight tan. The collar of a white blouse peaked out under her yellow sweater and her sleeves flowed to cover her knuckles. A long khaki skirt almost hid her yellow slippers. Her long light pink hair fell down past her shoulders, and was held by a pink butterfly hair clip that almost blended with her hair.

Her cyan eyes locked with Nox’s and a blush quickly spread across her cheeks. “I’m sorry,” she softly spoke to Nox who concentrated on hearing her low soft voice. Removing her hand from stroking a disappointed Moonstone, “but you really shouldn't have her out in the open on the university”.

“What do you mean?” Nox asked.

Before she had a chance to reply, someone called out to her.

“Darling, there you are. We were wondering what happened to you, when you didn’t show up”.

Exiting from the doors was a pair of girls. The girl on the right was slightly shorter than Nox and had an orange flannel shirt with the sleeves round up to her elbows, showing the tan on her arms until her elbows which had the same white color as the girl who had been petting Moonstone. A bright red apple belt and buckle held up her faded blue jeans with dirt and grass stains. Perhaps the stains were giving the smallest hint that she had worked in a field. Her jeans cover her cowgirl boots which were caked with mud. Her blond long hair tied in a ponytail tied at the ends with a red cord rested on her right shoulder, a well-worn faded light brown cowboy hat rested on the top of her head. Her sap green eyes curiously scanned Nox and the first girl as a glint of protectiveness flashed from her eyes.

The girl residing to the left of the cowgirl had her arm linked with her companion. She appeared shorter than a cowgirl and appeared to contrast in how she dressed. She had on a white button-down blouse, the sleeves ending three quarters down her arm and was open slightly at the collar, displaying the barest hint of her assets. She sported a white gold chain with three evenly spaced diamonds. Her blouse was tucked into a black pencil skirt which she paired with black stockings and white high heels. She wore her hair similar to her cowgirl companion, but most of it was ringlets which were resting on her left shoulder. Her azure eyes squinted at the scene of Nox holding out the book to her friend as a small smirk appeared on her lips.

“My, darling you do work fast,” she quipped teasingly, identifying her as the person who called out to the girl who petted Moonstone.

“Rarity!” the girl exclaimed with her face a bright red color as she looked up at Nox.

“I’m just teasing you a little darling,” Rarity replied.

“Uh, sugar cube, why is this fella holding a book out to ya? And why is your bag on the ground over there?” the cowgirl inquired.

The young girl took the book which Nox was patiently holding and softly murmured her thanks. Moving to her bag lying on the ground, she explained. “I had a run in with the Dazzlings.” She nodded to the cowgirl who approached to help collect her spilled things.

“Tsk, those three,” Rarity quipped as she walked over to Nox and extended her hand. “Please allow me to introduce myself. I’m Rarity Reignolds, but call me Rarity,” she said with a contagious smile.

Nox took her soft delicate hand in his roughed callused hand and chuckled as he replied, “I’m Nox’sidus Drakon, which can be a mouth full so please call me Nox.”

“It's a pleasure to meet you Nox,” Rarity said as she released Nox’s hand. “And these two are,” she said with a small gesture as the two girls approached after collecting the bag and its remaining spilled contents.

“Name is Applejack, but ya'll can call me AJ,” the cowgirl exclaimed. ‘It’s a pleasure to meet you Nox,” She extended her hand which Nox took, while small smiles spread across both of their faces in recognition of their hands which sported the roughness of calluses.

Releasing Applejack’s hand, he turned to the first girl he met and held out his hand to her. She was blushing as she stammered, “I’m Fluttershy, I’m sorry I did not introduce myself sooner,” as she tentatively took Nox’s hand.

“So, tell me Nox, are you a new student, although registration closed a couple of months ago and I don’t remember seeing you before, - do I need to call security?” Rarity joking quipped with a hint of warning in her tone.

Applejack and Fluttershy caught the subtle hint from Rarity’s voice and Applejack moved to put herself between Rarity and Nox. Fluttershy moved behind Applejack, just enough for protection and yet could be seen. Nox caught that subtle tone and smiled to himself for two reasons. The first was despite all his complaining years ago, he was glad that his mother had practically forced him to go through ambassador training. The second was Rarity had chosen an approach to throw off most, in order to protect her friends around strangers.

“You got me, I’m not now an official student,” Nox said, throwing up his hands and chuckling. “However, I did register some time ago but I couldn't attend because I was suddenly called away.”

Nox knew that his answer could be interpreted in two ways but he hoped that it would work to defuse the mistrust. What he said wasn't a lie as back in his own world his mother had asked him to go to college after he finished basic. Then the Storm war started and he was called into duty. He never registered again for college after the war was over.

Nox felt Moonstone tense on his shoulder and Ash in his pocket, the two of them posed for action if the three girls didn't believe him. Nox could see the wheels turning in Rarity’s mind, although her face sported a smile. Flutteryshy looked nervous and Applejack stared at him with a deep penetrating gaze as if looking to see if he was truthful.

Silence remained for what had seemed like hours, Nox was tensing to make a break for it, if the girls did not accept his reply as honest.

“You spent time in the military, didn’t you?” Applejack inquired.

Nox, visibly surprised by Applejack’s question, replied, “Y-yes I was, how did you know?”

“My brother was in the military, when he came home and he had the same look you have- like someone who has seen hell. Applejack replied.

Nox was visibly paling at the memories of the day for his greatest military accomplishment and the worst day of his life and it was all playing across his vision and face, from the last comment. Flutteryshy moved from behind Applejack while looking at Nox with tear filled eyes. She took a small step towards Nox as though to comfort but not knowing the best way to accomplish it. Applejack, looking a little guilty about her statement, moved with Rarity towards Nox.

Rarity reached out her hand and lightly placed it on Nox’s right arm and softly spoke, “Are you okay darling?”

Nox flinched at her soft touch, took a breath as he reached his left hand to pet Moonstone, who responded with purring and rubbing her head on Nox’s, as though to help calm him, “Sorry about that” Nox lightly chuckling, “that observation surprised me a bit, made me remember a bit of stuff I haven’t fully dealt with.”

“Sorry about that,” Applejack apologized. “I really didn't need to add that last part, my honesty can be a little blunt sometimes.”

Whatever tension was there evaporated, as everyone began to relax.

“By the way Fluttershy, what did you mean when you said, ‘I shouldn't have her out like that’?” Nox asked, still petting Moonstone.

“Oh, the college has rules about animals that aren't on a leash or don’t have a collar,” Fluttershy replied, wiping the tears from her eyes with the bottom of her sleeve. Both Nox and Moonstone looked surprised at that bit of information, Nox’s hand dropped from petting her.

Suppressing a giggle, Rarity spoke, “give me one second darling.” She turned back to the door of the student lounge and went inside.

“What’s she planning to do?” Nox asked.

“Ha, I reckon I don’t know, but just wait and see,” Applejack commented, smiling at Nox’s puzzled expression.

Nox noticed that Fluttershy was staring at Moonstone, like she wanted to hold and pet her, but was afraid to ask him. Smiling, Nox motioned to Moonstone about what Fluttershy might want and Moonstone, wordless, agreed with a small wink. Nox walked to Flutershy, who slightly flinched at his sudden approach. Nox keeled down a little in front of her so she could pick up Moonstone off his shoulder.

Her eyes widened and brightened, a big smile crossing her face, she picked up Moonstone and stroked her. Moonstone was happily purring as she snuggled in Fluttershy’s arms. A moment later, Rarity returned with a black satchel bag.

“Here you go darling,” she said handing Nox the bag, “there’s an unofficial rule, if an animal is small enough to fit into a bag, then the leash law isn’t enforced.”

“Thank you, but I don’t think I can pay you back for this,” he said handing the bag back to Rarity, “and we still have the collar rule to deal with.”

Rarity smiled, refusing to take the bag back, holding up her other hand, Nox noticed she was holding two dark blue woven bracelets with metal clasps at the ends of them.

“Don’t worry about paying me back, darling and for the collar, I had thought of that too and this is where these bracelets come in. I happen to know a certain lovely person that is quite good with her hands,” she said, casting a sly glance at Applejack.

Applejack smiled, “Alright, I’ll see what I can do,” she chuckled while taking the bracelets from Rarity’s arm she pulled out a small metal tool and set to work on the bracelets.

“Nox, so if you're wandering around campus, I’m guessing that the talks went well?” Rarity asked.

“That’s a secret,” Nox said with a wink as he adjusted the strap on the satchel, throwing it over his head, adjusting it across his chest, making sure it didn’t cover the pocket Ash rode in. “By the way, maybe you can help me… again,” Nox hesitantly inquired.

“Just ask, if it's something that we can help with of course we will,” Applejack spoke as she finished what she was doing and approached Fluttershy and Moonstone.

Nox was silent for a moment, knowing what he was about to ask was taking a gamble but he proceeded.

“The daughter of a family friend, attends here and she was supposed to show me around. I was wondering if you know her, her name is Sunset Shimmer Kaiser.”

All three of the girls looked stunned hearing that name. Nox felt that he made a mistake as he viewed their faces. Moonstone tensed quickly hopped from Fluttershy’s arms and scampered to Nox.

“Well, we know a Sunset Shimmer, but she doesn't have Kaiser in her name,” Applejack spoke hesitantly.

Hearing that, Nox decided to see if Sunset Shimmer was the thief that he was after and he described her “She has red and yellow hair, aqua eyes,” as he figured if he looked like this from going through the portal with some of his features remaining, then the chances were high that held true for her as well.

“That describes her,” Rarity said, “but… she’s part of the Dazzlings.” Noticing confusion on Nox’s face, she clarified, “or she was part of the Dazzlings, lately she’s been distancing herself from them.”

Nox bent down to let Moonstone hop into the bag. Standing he was trying to think about how to choose his words carefully to avoid suspicion.

“If I’m being honest, I only met her once in person, very briefly. I was told to find her, but …”

Applejack looked at Nox for a second, she looked to Rarity and nodded as she stated, “I believe she’s helping out with setting up the Fall Formal in the reception hall and we take you there or-”.

“Ahhh, we’re going to be late for class,” Fluteryshy cries as she grabbed her things and headed in the direction that Nox had come from prior.

Applejack took off after Fluteryshy, with a quick look to Nox and Rarity, “we should get going Hun, we can’t be late again.”

Sighing. Rarity looked after Applejack and Fluttershy as she quietly spoke, “a word of advice Nox, do everything you can to avoid the Dazzlings because you’ll know them when you see them. If you head in that direction,” she pointed to the northwest, “you should see a large building with the front of it made of glass. That's the reception hall and hopefully Sunset Shimmer is there. I hope we meet again, darling, we must see if we can find you something to wear that doesn't say combat,” She smiled and headed after the other two with a wave of her hand.

A moment later Ash and Moonstone popped their heads from their current locations.

Ash was the first to speak, “is it over, that took some time. Have you noticed females want to talk you ear off Nox when I’m clearly the better looking one?”

Ash’s joke fell on deaf ears as Nox was deep in thought, as he felt like he knew those three and especially their names. The more he thought the more frustrated he became about it. Some things were clear to him now and those things made the job all the more difficult.

“We need to finish this as soon as possible,” Nox commented. “I can’t be sure, but it seemed like Applejack could tell I was hiding something. There's half a chance they will let security know about us.”

The pair retreated to their hiding spots as Nox moved at a quick pace in the direction that Rarity pointed out to the northwest.

~~~~~~~

Several minutes later, Nox arrived at the building with the glass wall. Entering through the front door, he glanced at a small directory of rooms and numbers. Noticing the sign pointing to the ballroom, he figured a Fall Formal would most likely be held in that location. Walking down the hallway with doors on each side, Nox noticed an open double door at the end of the hallway. Nox passed through the door which opened into a large, dimly lit room which sported party decorations. Nox scanned the room and noticed three girls standing at opposite ends of the room.

The three girls appeared to be in conversation with two girls facing Nox’s direction and the third had her back to him. The girl on the right, facing toward him appeared to notice him and alerted the others. The girl facing away from him, turned and looked through aqua eyes, Nox smiled at himself and thought, gotcha.

Author's Note:

Chapter 4: We are all strangers in a strange land, longing for home, but not quite knowing what or where home is. We glimpse it sometimes in our dreams, or as we turn a corner, and suddenly there is a strange, sweet familiarity that vanishes almost as soon as it comes. Madeleine L'Engle

I have to thank my editor who even though they have the flu and I told them just focus on getting better the went ahead and finished the edits