• Published 8th Apr 2019
  • 557 Views, 0 Comments

A Story from Stone, Shattered Serenity - BCBB



What if an event that never hapend Stories in Stone did? What kind of branch would that be?

  • ...
 0
 557

[Chapter 1] Gaze into the Abyss

A Story from Stone
Shattered Serenity
BCBB

[Chapter 1] Gaze into the Abyss


[ 7002 After Tirek somewhere in the outskirts of Saddle Arabia]

The sound of hoof falls echoing down the ancient stone hallway and darkness smothered all light except a pink soft glow which radiated beneath the cloaked hooded figure, feeling her way down the corridor until she reached the end of the hallway. Pulling back her hood, a unicorn mare, with her dark violet coat and teal mane, gathered into a ponytail burst forward as though seeking freedom from her hood and her tired lace pink eyes darted as though she was looking for something familiar. Or perhaps determining safety. She looked at the wall mural and the image upon it was reflected on the open page of her book she had retrieved with magic from her saddlebags hidden beneath the cloak. It was the image of a monstrous figure with a slight resemblance of a pony form.

Her heart beat faster as she realized her search of two years had yielded her the fruit of her labor in finding the mural. She slipped the book into her saddle bag confident of its safety as she moved closer to examine the mural. She places her left forehoof on the black crystal located at the base of the image.

“To you who is sleeping in the darkness, the king of shadows, who wielded six powers, who took marks to give life to a new form but betrayed by those closest to you. Sealed within this dark void, arise, come forth and speak.” She paused and waited but there was only silence as the echo of her voice ceased to rebound through the hall.

Puzzled, she lowered her hoof “That should have worked, maybe I did not use the original translation---” before her thought was complete, she saw darkened shadows snaking towards her and locking her in place as they surrounded her body. The black tendrils at the base of her neck broke into spider veins which traveled to the base of her horn. When the first vein touched her horn the soft pink light of her magic vanished leaving her in unfathomable darkness, the spider sensation creeping through her mind seemed to last for an eternity as she stood unable to move or think. She began to choke as the darkness smothered her and she was unable to move or speak.

She felt the fear and the sense of drowning within the shadow's heaviness. It felt as though she was in this state for an eternity but the shadows receded into its darkness and she crumpled to the floor, trying to breath, to think and comprehend what had occured. She placed her hooves on the cold floor and raised her body upward, her horn shooting forth light as though it had a mind of its own.


“What… was that?” she said, struggling for her breath. Her horn brightly glowing with its attack spell, waiting for the next assault.

}}What a strange language this is that you speak{ echoed by an unknown voice.

The unknown voice was male in tone, that reverberated like the first sound of thunder followed by the sensation of a jagged knife being scraped against a dry whetstone.

“Who’s there!?” she gasped “Show yourself, if you dare!”

}You called to me little one{ resounded the unfamiliar voice.

“Are you the one, I seek?” she said shakenly, the glow from her horn diming. She started to bow in the direction she thought the voice was coming from, “My lord, I your humble servant beseech you to please help me wit-”

}Little one, I know what it is you seek. Your memories were revealed to me as I learned your language{ the voice spoke with force.

“Then you know, she could not bring him back but you can, will you do this for me? She said, looking to identify the source of the voice.

}No, I will not grant your wish as there is only one true spell to bring back the dead and the price needed to cast that spell is not one, I'm willing to pay{

“B-But all my research says only a god can cast that spell. I have talked with all the gods I know and they refuse to tell me or don’t know how to use the spell,” she said dejectedly.

}You do not need to explain how that spell is accomplished as I'm the one who created it{ the voice resounded.

“What? That's Impossible, the origins of that spell originates in the golden age of the harpies. All evidence points to them creating it,” she responded, searching for the source of the voice, but it seemed to echo all around her.

It appeared as thought the voice noticed her darting eyes and replied }Stop looking around I do not exist on this plane; I can move my consciousness through the shadows in limited capacities and have done so for many centuries prior to the harpies{

Startled, her ears flattened as she stated, “My apologies, my lord, the shock of our connection and the time I have spent the last year trying to find my answers. Only to hear that you won’t do it is more than I can bear,” she said. She sat in silence with her despair flooding her mind and heart.

} It wounds me to feel your despair, so would you like to make a deal?{ the voice whispered.

Her breath quickened and her ears perked up at the proposal “what kind of deal did you have in mind?” she asked.

}I grow tired of this dark prison and wish to return to the world; I am its rightful king. Under my rule my previous kingdom severied all threats, conquered them and with your help it can be so again{

“Before I can answer. Why did you create the spell of resurrection?”

}… HAHAHAHAAHA. Yes, you would ask that, very well. The spell was created to save the one I called friend, should he have unexpectedly passed. You see, you and I are one and the same, let me help you accomplish what I could not. I will not pay the price needed. My refusal does not mean the end for your desire{

She sat quietly considering his statement, “What would this deal entail and what guarantee do I have that you will not betray me,” she hesitantly inquired?

}Lying to you accomplishes nothing, however freely joining me will serve both of our needs. You are by far are the strongest magic user I have ever seen, but you could be more with my help and guidance{ the voice softly spoke

“If you've seen my memories as you state, then you know I'm not the strongest, because my mother holds that title,” she said bitterly.

}You seem to misunderstand me { the voice replied as it circled slowly around her.

}I speak of your potential, while your mother’s potential has been reached, yours is just beginning. Think about it, are you not the utmost forerunner in magical theory and applications?{ the voice said }did you not research and create a system to allow unicorns to use magic that they otherwise could not?{

“Y-Yes b-but the success rate was at such a critically low chance of working,” she spoke with hesitancy.

}Who was it that told such a thing to you and wouldn't even let you work to perfect it{ questioned the voice with a tinge of surprise.

“M-My mother, but she had good reasons to, the number of sacrifices would be too great,” she stammered.

}Sacrifice is a part of progress, was it not soldiers that sacrificed their lives to bring forth the chance to end that war?{ the voice seemed to move closer to her.

“I-I don’t-” she said as she stumbled with the confusion she felt.

}Ask yourself why, she stops you from pursuing a power that would push the boundaries of possibility with magic{ the voice was directly in front of her moving closer }the answer is simple{ the voice appeared to be directly over her shoulder }she is afraid of you{ the voice whispered softly into her ear.

Her eyes widened her mind racing to make the connections between her experiences and his statement. She crumpled to the ground “she lied to me, she refused to help me bring Rayfall back, but I did not question. I should have known” she sobbed. The silence rested heavily as neither one spoke as she lay on the ground weeping bitter tears of betrayal. She stopped, as she solidly planted her hooves, she arose with a visible change to her appearance “That bitch,” she stated flatly, “it's almost laughable at how naive I was, trusting her words of love, when she was afraid that I would surpass her.
She’s a relic from a bygone era, clinging to the statuesque,” she looked towards the ceiling, her eyes red and still wet from her tears, deeply sighing she inquired, “what would you have me do?”

The voice spoke with authority }Become my avatar, I will unlock your magical potential. Your power shall be equal to any gods With my help you will surpass the current regime. When I am free, all of Equss is mine, you shall be my heir. I don’t shy away from your potential; I embrace it and will help you break the limitations upon it{

“I am yours to command if you keep your promise to attain all I desire, I will faithfully serve as your avatar.”

}It shall be from this day forward{ the voice resounded }you shall accomplish what that insufferable cult could not. Nothing can stop our powers joined together{

The shadows crept towards her hooves where it formed a pool.,. }This will hurt but as your body is broken it will be rebuilt to accommodate your new power and unlimited magic{ the voice spoke as it appeared to surround her frame.

She firmly stated, “Understood, let it begin,” as she braced herself the shadows at her hooves formed tendrils tearing off cloak and saddlebags, wrapping tightly around her body. She felt herself being lifted by the tendrils encasing her body, expanding to create a cocoon of darkness. The chamber was silent, while in the cocoon she screamed against the pain of her flesh being ripped right down to the marrow of her bones. The darkness began to split her horn in half and her screams turned to laughter that only comes when all sanity ceases to exist. The darkness fell back towards the shadows and the unicorn was forever changed.
Her coat was black as the darkness with a faint glow of her remnant violet as thought to remind her of that which she had sacrificed. Her teal mane and tail, had the luster drained from it, leaving it a pale green color. Her beloved cutie mark, two seven pointed stars resting upon one another, the first star was the largest of the two and magenta colored, the second was slightly smaller than the first with it being a fuchsia color, the top points being longer than the others, caped with triangles, giving the appearance of clock hands had disappeared, in the transformation.

Her horn split in half, resting at the sides of her head and her pink lace eyes that were closed opened to a crimson-colored rage.

}Welcome back Little One{ the voice echoed.

“What have I become?” she asked.

You are as you always been, but as to your race, you are a bicorn, a species created by me in prior experiments{

“Is that the race which they sealed away with you?” she inquired.

}No, different, but no time to explain, as you must take time to acclimate your new body and powers.{ quickly spoke the voice.

“I see, so does that entail bed rest and training?” she said with a smirk.

}No, it won't take long for you to be at full power and we have much to accomplish in a short time{ the voice stated.

“Command me as you wish, my master.”

}You will travel southwest and build an army to assist us{ the voice commanded.

“Southwest? But only one thing exists in that direction and you cannot mean they will be the army?”

}No not them, there is more that exists there then you have known but I sense it. Follow my command unless you did not mean your words{ the voice thundered.

“Very well,” she said, picking up her cloak and saddlebags, “I will follow your command.”

}Before you start on your new life, from this day forward as you have been transformed you shall be called Eclipse -{ the voice spoke into the darkness around her.

“Sparkle, I shall be Eclipse Sparkle, my mother shall know she has created a force she cannot control with her lies,” she said as her face twisted with an evil grin.

~~~~~~~

[ Crystal Empire 7005 After Tirek ]

The entire Empire was abustle with excitement as the Equss games were getting underway and everyone waited with bated breath.

“Nox, did you know that the games have an interesting history?” asked Moonstone, a small dragonling, leaning against the back of his neck, her book open in her lap.

Smiling, Nox inquired, “I take it you found your next paper for Twilight, eh Moonstone?”
“One of us has to be the brains of our duo, and I need to keep the top student position in school,” Moonstone replied jokingly.

Nox laughed, Nox’s full name was Nox’sidus Drakon, a seven-foot tall, well-muscled dark gray pelted minor alicorn stallion, with a well-groomed, midnight blue mane and tail. His main was mid-length and the majority of it was pulled into a ‘warrior's wolf's tail’ with the rest of it hanging loose, his tail was mid-length as well. Nox’s orange eyes seemed to glow like fire in the sunlight. His cutie mark was two crossed white swords behind a white round shield, on the shield was a black one-winged dragon that rested above the one-winged golden dragon, its face bending down to face the opposite face of the golden dragon.

Moonstone was a silver scaled dragonling, with two onyx black horns running along her head. The tips slightly curving upward. Her eyes were a bright piercing blue and hinted at her inquisitive mind which sought knowledge.

Moonstone joined him in his chuckle and inquired, “You're entering the games? I thought you were never all that interested in them,” Moonstone said.

“I'm still not, but this year they have a combat tournament that's open to the public and that has my interest,” Nox excitedly exclaimed.

“Of course, you would want to be a part of that,” Moonstone closed her book, slipping it into the satchel at her left, standing upright on his back, “so we better get inside before it is filled.”

Nox smiled at her, knowing his partner knew him well. “Hold on tight!” Nox exclaimed springing into a gallop down the road to the colosseum, chuckling as Moonstone grabbed and gripped a clawful of his mane.

They reached the tournament registering station shocked to see a massive crowd waiting to register. Moonstone exclaimed, “By the stars all of them are signing up?”

“Let's see, Pony, Dragon, Kirin, Linorm, Griffon, Hippogriff, Zebra, Diamond Dog and Changeling. Haha.. looks like just about every race on Equss is here, this is going to be fun,” exclaimed Nox.

“Hahaha typical Nox, always ready for a fight,” a deep voice rumbled.

The pair looking at their right saw the gray dragon approaching. “Oh great, if it isn't the biggest buffoon I know,” Moonstone sighed.

“What was that you little half pint?” the gray dragon growled.

“Okay you two that's enough for now,” Nox said trying to stop them from arguing in public again, “good to see you Ash.” Nox spoke while raising his hoof toward Ash. Ash’s claw bumped his hoof in response to the gesture.

Ash's full name is known as Ashen Scales partially due to the gray scales being light enough to look like ash given shape with small specks of black and brown in random places. He appeared seven feet high, but his true height was twenty feet, as was known by friends and foes. On his head, a back sweeping crown with five ivory white horns, and the creative spark in his smoldering scarlet eyes.

“Good to see you too, Nox” Ash replied.

“Nox, while I love the fact that you can take the time to speak to this oaf, without losing brain cells,” Moonstone gestures at Ash, “but you should sign up before it's too late.”

“Letting that one go, half pint,” Ash growled. “Here Nox, I got you covered,” Ash said, holding out a clipboard to him.

“Thanks Ash,” Nox responded, taking the clipboard and pen in the white aura of his magic.

“You see that half pint?” Grinning, Ash responded as Moonstone sighed.

Moonstone rolled her eyes and refused to acknowledge the victory, “Even a blind squirrel can find a nut.”

Growling softly, Ash stopped, “You still can’t use size changing magic can you half pint?” Moonstone stared daggers at Ash, Ash returned her stare with his smirk.

“Let's see, general information,” Nox mutters, “Name: Nox’sidus Drakon Sparkle, age: 25, race: Minor Alicorn and hmm… a waiver form. Guess that's to be expected, the rules seem pretty simple, magic: low tier to mid-tier, flight is possible. Can’t fly out of the stadium, can dig under the ring but must remain within the confines, resurfacing out of the ring is a ring out, no personal weapons. Alright that should do it, now to go and turn this in.”

Nox turns his head noticeing Moonstone and Ash still in a deadlock. Nox sighs, “Not again,” as his magic grabs Moonstone, placing her on the ground, the only indication that she was moving was that never once did they break their deadlock. Making his way towards the sign-up station to turn in his form, muttering, “Every time those two get together this happens.”

Twilight Sparkle sat in her seat watching the populace taking their seats, she smiled at the excitement shining on every pony's face. She felt satisfied that she insisted the games continue on schedule at the last meeting. She was aware that with the addition of the new event, some argued a combat tournament was in poor taste following the war five years ago. The Storm War, what a mess that was, but the tournament was necessary to help relieve any anger or resentment that remained unaddressed.

“A gem for your thoughts?” Twilight turned her head to see a 13foot high, pink dragoness approaching her.

“Good to see you Lady Hearthscale, I am not sure the thoughts would be worth your gem. I take it others will not be here?”

Hearthscale sat down in her seat next to Twilight and grumbled, “The official excuse is they are busy with rebuilding. Unofficially, the other two Dragon Gods appear to enjoy arguing rather than to appear at the tournament.”

Twilight sighed, “During the last meeting it was changed to non-mandatory attendance this year. I had hoped all would choose to attend, thankfully at least you and Flurry Heart are here.”

“Speaking of the Empress, where is she and Princess Astra? They didn’t accompany you?”

“I had Astra stay in New Canterlot to take care of some trouble that arose at the last second. I did see Flurry Heart when I arrived this morning but haven’t seen her since that time.”

Before Hearthscale could reply, the sound of hurried hoof steps echoed toward them. “I'm so sorry aunty, that business just couldn't wait, but know I'm all yours toda-” Empress Flurry Heart’s voice trailed off, as the pink crystal pegicorn’s light opal eyes widen in surprise, “L-Lady Hearthscale, I-I- um when did you arrive?''

The pink dragoness looked at the Empress, who looked slightly pale. Hearthscale smiled, an idea forming in her mind “I must say this is a huge disrespect,” she said, crossing her arms. “The fact that only Princess Twilight got the royal welcome, while New Cindervale and the Crystal Empire are practically neighbors. So, was this business getting your mane done up with gems?”

Flurry Heart’s mouth fell open as she stammered incoherently, her purple and blue mane had strands sticking out.

“Honestly, stop teasing the poor filly,” Twilight sighed, “or are you that interested in meeting ‘Fury Heart’?” Twilight looked at Hearthscale and Flurry as though waiting for their responses.

Hearthscale sighed “Figured me out huh, I apologize Empress. I took my joke a little too far.”

Flurry composed herself “I do apologize Lady Hearthscale for my neglect, I wish to make it up to you. Now if you will excuse me, I will take my seat as the opening ceremony is beginning.”

Hearthscale nodded to the Empress, as Flurry Heart found her seat on the other side of Twilight. Hearthscale caught a fading red glow from the swirling mass of yellow crystal hearts that was the pink crystal pegicorns cutie mark. The beating sound of small wing caused the trio to look out to the crowd below, a small silver streak landed on the railing.

Moonstone bowed, “Princess Twilight, Empress Flurry Heart, Lady Hearthscale it's good to see you.”

“Moonstone, I thought you would be with Nox?” Twilight asked.

“The officials said only combatants were allowed in the waiting area, so Nox suggested that I watch with you,” Moonstone said sitting on the railing.

Twilight smiled, “You will have a great view, looks like it’s time for them to start,” Twilight said, taking note of the crowd gathering near the ring.

“Good day ladies and gentlecolts!” the yellow crystal pony with a red mane, “I'm your commentator and referee for the tournament, my name is Ruby Rose. Thank you for joining us today, we’ve got a lot of great events planned for you today. But first the lighting of the torch!” All eyes turned toward the large brazier. A red streak of fire fell from the sky, setting the brazier a flame, a second red streak lifted up from the brazier back into the sky.

A loud boom and a ring of red flame rippled across the sky before dissipating, while the crowd excitedly roared, “Lighting the torch this year, is Equestria’s very own Guard Caption Vermillion Wing! Now a quick announcement before the first event, the combat tournament will be postponed until later today as two hundred combatants sign up. We will be holding eight preliminares rounds throughout the day. The combatants will be grouped into twenty-five for a battle royal with only one winner,” Ruby Rose Inhaled and loudly announced, “with that being said, let this year's games begin!!”

*******

“That was disappointing,” Nox sighed, while he and seven other prelim finalists made their way towards the arena.

“Haha, you have to admit that only you could get the group that forfeits the second they find out who you are,” Ash laughs. “I'd say that you don’t have to worry about that happening again, not with this group.”

“Okay everypony, I want four of you on my right and the four others on my left, we will be starting in one moment,” Ruby Rose announced. As the eight combatants took their places as the crowd cheered. Ruby Rose adjusted her headset as her voice rang out, “Alright everypony the time you have been waiting for is here, your eight combatants are,”
Ruby gestured to her left side “from the Diamond Dog Warrens, we have the not so small Tiny,” the hulking mass of a diamond dog lifted his arms as the crowd roared with excitement, “we also have from our own Crystal Empire, the master of changing faces Mantis,” as though on cue, the pink maned, black unicorn changeling, shifted from his normal self to a pony sized bugbear, than a hydra and then returned to his original shape.
“We have from the Linorm Kingdom, Frozen Tundra,” the white linorm rocked back to stand on her hind legs, throwing her head back to let lose a roar of her freezing breath weapon, “from Gallopagos, we have the mistress of flame, Scorch,” flame rolled off the horn of the red furred and scaled kirin.

Ruby Red waited, until ther the cheering crowd quieted, before introducing the last four combatants, gustaring to the right, “From the Zebra Kingdom, we have a warrior only known as Riot,” Riot wore armor made of iron, shaped to look like an ursa major with a red crystal horn, removing the helmet and standing proudly was a young zebra unicorn stallion.

“From the Griffon Nation, Wingger,” the young dark brown griffon, flexed his wings showing off the black tiger stripes on his back half, “from New Cindervale, Ashen Scales,” Ash started to flex his muscles in various poses, the entire crowd went silent. Except for Moonstone who was laughing. Ruby Red hesitated and then spoke, “um… okay, and our last but certainly not least, is Equestria’s very own Nox’sidus Drakon Sparkle!” Before Nox could do anything, the crowd roared with absolute excitement.

Waiting once again for the crowd to quiet down enough for her to speak again, “Before the combatants came out to the arena, they were asked to take a lot that would determine the matchups. I will now revile the results of those lots and matchups,” Ruby cleared her throat, “round one: Tiny vs Wingger, for round two: Ashen Scales vs Mantis, for round three: Scorch vs Frozen Tundra and for round four: Nox’sidus Drakon Sparkle vs Riot. Combatants of the first round stay and the remaining contestants will make their way to the waiting area.”
Nox and the six others left the stage, leaving Tiny and Wingger to begin their match, “Are both combatants ready?” Ruby inquired of the two fighters, seeing no objections shouted excitedly “Then begin!”

Author's Note:

when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you Friedrich W. Nietzsche
I removed the Apple scales, the reason being is that while I did like it, it became difficult to keep changing the sizing scale