• Published 8th Apr 2019
  • 560 Views, 0 Comments

A Story from Stone, Shattered Serenity - BCBB



What if an event that never hapend Stories in Stone did? What kind of branch would that be?

  • ...
 0
 560

[Chapter 2] Loyal companions

A Story from Stone
Shattered Serenity
BCBB

[Chapter 2] Loyal companions


Every bone in Nox’s body popped as he stretched, as Ash winced at each pop, “He hit you pretty hard, the last time I saw you get hit that hard was in basic,” said Ash.

“The rules said, no personal weapons. However, it didn’t say anything about using personal armor as a weapon. Geez, I’ve never seen anypony charge through my shields, guess that's why his name is Riot,” Nox groaned, as his bones responded to his last stretch.

Ash sighed with relief as the popping sounds ceased from Nox’s body. “Riot looked like he was using earth magic, but he's a unicorn zebra so that’s not possible.”

Nox sat and rubbed his aching horn, “He must have been a master at enchanting. He was smart to use pure iron on his armor in order to enchant and disenchant it.”

“Ashen Scales and Tiny to the stage to start the first round of the semifinals,” Ruby Rose announced. Ash moved to the stage to face the massive diamond dog.

“Wish me luck,” Ash called over his shoulder.

Nox stated, “You won’t need it.”

“Are both combatants ready - then let the match begin!” announced Ruby.

Behind Nox a husky voice stated “This match shouldn't take too long.”
He turned to see ice blue eyes staring into his, as a white feathery scaled linorm stood behind him and she appeared to be about two feet taller than himself.

“We have not been introduced, I am Frozen Tundra daughter of the Linorm god Glacier,” spoke the linorm.

Nox slightly bowing his head replied, “It is a pleasure to meet you, I am Nox-”

”Yes, I know “Nox’sidus Drakon Sparkle, son of Princess Twilight Sparkle, one of the Pony Gods,” Frozen Tundra inserted.

Nox flattened his ears in annoyance, “If you will excuse me, I'm trying to watch the match,” he said, as his gaze returned to the match. Ash had grown to Tiny’s size and was grappling with the massive diamond dog.

Frozen Tundra moved to the side of Nox, “I have a request for you,” she spoke.

“Oh, and what is it?” Nox replied, as his eyes remained on the match.

“I ask that you refrain from holding back in our match.”

“Wow that's insulting as I wasn't planning to hold back,” Nox sarcastically replied.

“I apologize if I offended you,” she said, sitting next to Nox. “Please allow me to explain. My father wishes to pass on the mantle of godhood, however only my brother and I are suitable to receive it. My brother is a traditionalist and would love to see dragons become our food again. In fact, to see every race as nothing more than food.”

Hearing this, Nox turned to look at Frozen Tundra. “The worst is there is a growing faction in Linorm, which believes as my brother does and is willing to back him.”

Nox sighed deeply, “You believe your brother would risk war with every race, if he became the next god?”

“Yes, many claim that he is the strongest of us and this is proof that he should be the next god.”

“So, by defeating me as I’m giving it my all, you prove them wrong? Have you considered what happens if you can’t beat me? Hopefully you do not think I’ll take a dive?” Nox asked, Returning his gaze to the match, he noted Tiny had Ash in a headlock.

“I would not ask that of you. If you defeat me, I believe many would remember going to war would be foolish.”

Nox and Frozen Tundra sat in silence as they watched Ash break free of the headlock and expand to his full size, which the ring barely accommodated. Grabbing Tiny, the twenty-foot-tall dragon, tossed the diamond dog out of the ring.

“Um… ? ring out, Ashen Scales will move to the finals,” Ruby Rose announced as Ash returned to his smaller size. Booing sounds from the stands relaid the discontent with the outcome.

“The next combatants, Nox’sidus Drakon Sparkle and Frozen Tundra to the ring,” Ruby announced.

Nox moved to the stage and passed Ash with a chuckle, “Knew you could do it, well not exactly that way.”

“Don’t you dare lose, Nox,” Ash chuckled. Nox took his spot on the stage facing Frozen Tundra as she landed on spot from her short flight.

“Are both combatants ready- Then let the fight begin,” announced Ruby.

Frozen Tundra wasted no time in her attack, the air was white as the freezing wave surged forward from her roar. Nox responded with lightning-fast reflexes, crouching down. His horn flared white as it created three shields. Two of the shields were two ponies wide by two ponies high hexagons, the last was a triangle only a pony wide and high. The shields locked together with the hexagons on the sides and the triangle in the middle, the freezing wave struck the shields, as Nox dove to his right.

Fighting linorms is tricky, to say the least as their freezing breath weapons made frontal assaults a bad idea. If you got past that, their thin, sharp claws would make close combat a nightmare, but attacking from behind was equally dangerous. Their manes were a collection of fine spines which grew thicker along their backs and ran down their serpentine tail as very thick spikes on a club-like tail. The best way to fight was using long range, but if you're feeling brave, attacking from the side was a risky surprise attack.

As Nox charged her right side, he unleashed a magic blast at her. Seeing the incoming blast, Frozen Tundra leapt into the air and dodged by using her bat-like wings. Frozen Tundra’s eyes scanned the ground as she was rising and locating Nox, she sent a blast of freezing cold which covered half of the stage. Ruby, diving off the stage, yelled ”They aren't paying me enough for this!!”

Icy mist covered half the stage as it was caught in the last blast. The mist started to fade, revealing several linked white hexagon panels. A quick glance revealed the way the panels were linked would allow for an escape behind her. Turning she saw Nox fire another magic blast. The blast was the size of a pumpkin, and before Frozen Tundra could react, the blast broke into several apple sized bolts, which expanded into a cone, cutting off any hope for an escape.

Unable to flee, Frozen Tundra felt the full brunt of the attack, she was sent spiraling downward to the stage floor. Moments before striking the stage floor, she snapped her wings open and curved back into the air searching for Nox. She heard a popping sound that came from her upper left. Turning she saw Nox had appeared into reality and used one of his shields as a springboard.

Vaulting from his shield towards Frozen Tundra, his wings tucked and magic from his horn channeled to his right forehoof. Frozen Tundra appeared transfixed on the power which was being displayed and then felt his hoof making contact with her jaw. The strong force of the hit sent her flying down to the stage and the loud boom echoed in the coliseum. The fierce look on Nox’s face changed to panic after he landed and saw Frozen Tundra.

“I knew I shouldn't have used that move. I created it last week, but I thought I had enough control. Can we get a medic!”

A white unicorn rushed onto the stage to examine Frozen Tundra's injuries and reported, “She’s okay, just knocked unconscious,” as his horn flared a pale blue.


“Nox’sidus Drakon Sparkle, the winner by knockout!,” announced Ruby Rose as the crowd ecstatic erupted and Princess Twilight and Moonstone voices were leading the cheering. Two crystal ponies came with a gurney and removed the unconscious Frozen Tundra.

The worry was evident on the face of Nox as he moved to them and asked, “Will she be, okay?”

The unicorn medic noticed the look of concern on Nox and reassured, “I’ve never heard of a pony knocking one out before but she will be fine. Linormas are incredibly durable.”
Nox let out a sigh of relief, “When she wakes, tell her that she fought well and she made a good hit in the last part,” requested Nox. He lifted his left wing, showing the underneath covered in ice.

The medic's eyes widened in disbelief, “How did you manage to fly with that damage?” he inquired.

“I didn't, that's what forced me to use spells I had not mastered yet and this is the result.”

“I can take care of the ice but you won’t be able to fly in time for the next match,” responded the medic.

“Please assist, my wing will be healed up later today,” Nox stated. The medic casts the ice thawing spell, along with a minor healing spell to assist with lingering pain. Nox folded his wing, noting the numbness but less pain.

“That should do it,” the medic said and Nox expressed his thanks.

“Could I get our two finalists on stage please!” Ruby Rose called as she stood on the stage.

Nox made his way back to the stage with Ruby and Ash.

“Okay, everypony the time you have been waiting for has arrived” Ruby announced “On my left we have the apprentice of the legendary dragonsmith, Hearthscale, a reserve member of the 666th Monster Hunters and one of the five heroes of the battle of the Appaloosa plains, Sargent Ashen Scales!” Ruby paused, as the crowd roared with approval.

“On my right, is the son of Princess Twilight Sparkle, a member of the Night Guard and one of the five heroes of the Appaloosa plains. Lieutenant Nox’sidus Drakon Sparkle!” The cheering of the crowd erupted after Nox was announced and Ruby waited for it to lessen- before speaking again. Looking at Ash and Nox, she inquired, "are both combatants ready - then let the match begin!!”

“Hold up!” Ash exclaimed as a hush set over the crowd.

“I-Is everything okay?” Ruby asked as her tone indicated her worry.

“I want to add a new element to our fight, after all it is the finals. Nox and I know most of each other’s moves, so can we get a couple of training blades to use?”
Ash grinned at Nox,

Nox chuckled, “I’m okay with it.”

“I-uh, um” Ruby stammered, “It's not that, the rules won’t allow it.”

“We will make an exception,” a voice bellowed, as a purple alicorn floated down and settled on the stage.

Nox and Ash snap to attention, as Ruby Rose dropped down into a bow, inquiring, “Princess Twilight, I-I. um how can I help you?”

“I have talked with the other nation leaders in attendance today, we have agreed to Ash’s request for blades.” Twilight's horn flared magenta and two training swords fazed into existence. The sword's blades were three foot long with a cross guard. One sword floated to Ash, who took it in his claw. The other floated to Nox who took it in his mouth. There was a flash of magenta as Twilight regained her seat in the audience.

Ruby quickly rose on her hooves and declared, “Alright, the okay has been given. We will begin the finals allowing the inclusion of swords, if both combatants are ready?” She looks to Ash, noticing he faces the left as he turns his body, his sword out in front of him and slightly raised. Turning toward Nox she sees he had crouched, turning his head to the left. The flat of the blade almost touched his back. He has one eye on Ash as his tense muscles are ready to spring into action.

Ruby steps back from the two as though sensing danger and shouts, “Then begin!”

The pair just stared at each other, holding their stances as the match began. The crowd was restless as the two stood holding their positions The crowd shouted out questions,
“What's going on here?” “Why are they just standing there?” “What are you doing reff?” They asked Rudy.

The audience’s complaints feel deaf on the ears of Nox and Ash, as well as Ruby, who stood transfixed on the two combatants.

Unknown to the audience. The fight had begun in the minds of the two combatants, as every move was being made and countered. The audience's anger was quickly turning into an uproar, as Nox sprang forward and his attack was met with Ash’s downward attack. The force of the clashing two swords sent up clouds of dust and a hush fell over the audience.

The two were grinning at each other as their swords locked. Nox was the first to move as he let his sword fall from his mouth to slip past Ash, his horn flared grabbing his sword before it touched the ground. Ash dove forward into a dodge roll as Nox’s sword made a sweep at his legs. Regaining his footing, he lunged at Nox with a thrust of his sword.

Nox barely had time to use the flat of his blade, knocking away the attack. While Ash was still reeling from his counter attack, Nox quickly took his sword in his mouth and leapt into the air. Using his one good wing and his body, he positioned himself to bring the full force of his overhead attack. Ash had no time to dodge, so he lifted his blade to intercept Nox’s attack.

The second Nox’s blade made contact with Ash’s, he tilted the blade, to use the force of the attack to redirect. Nox’s blade slid along the edge of Ash’s as he landed a short distance from Ash. Before he could rise and begin his counter attack, he felt a blade on the back of his neck. Nox dropped the blade from his mouth, chuckling, “Looks like I lost this one,” he announced.
“Nox, I know you were injured in your last fight, so say the word and I’ll forfeit” Ash whispered, removing his blade from Nox’s neck. Nox rose to his hooves, staring into the eyes of his friend. The cheering of the crowd and the announcements from Ruby Rose faded into the background, as he replied.

“You and I know that on a battlefield, injuries don’t matter, but if you feel that you can’t accept this win, then next year I’ll beat you without an injury” he said, walking off the stage.

Ash sighed and called out, “Hey Nox, I’ll see you in the ring next year,” Nox’s only response was raising his right wing.

Moonstone facepalmed as she stated, “Great, now the big lug will be full of himself for a while.”

Twilight chuckled, “I imagine that the ones who placed money on that match, are not pleased with the outcome.”

“I’ll say, I actually bet on Nox,” Hearthscale said offhandedly.

A cloaked figure stands in the shadows at the far end of the colosseum. Looking up towards the rafters where Princess Twilight was, stealing their resolve for what needed to be done tonight.

Author's Note:

Loyal companions are an unequaled grace, stanching fear before it bleeds you numb, a reliable antidote for creeping despair Dean Koontz